Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        audio people questions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: audio people questions

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i would like to ask you audio people for some opinions on spackers ooops i mean speakers :P

not a surround setup , just some bookshelf ones , for around $300cad a pair

they would be paired with this amp

Pioneer VSX-830-K

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/pio ... f178eben02

redline
redline
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What does your room look like?

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the room is a 12x12 box with wood floor

redline
redline
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

$300 CAD isn't much for a pair. Also a square room and wooden floor is definitely an issue.

Speaker positioning will be very important in your case, your system will only sound as good as your room and you're already starting with a bit of a disadvantage. Do you have speaker stands?

At the same time, your room is small so you can probably go for a bass-reflex setup. I don't think that you need a lot of power, so you can focus on having a decent range from a two-channel speaker (tweeter+woofer) with good imaging.

I'd look for something used, just make sure it matches your amp's specs.

Last edited by ToxicBug on 06-28-2016 07:56 AM, edited 1 time in total.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry if this is not very helpful, but I think the best way is to test some speakers @home.
Some people like their speakers "neutral" some like more bass. It also depends on your position/distance to the speakers.
Maybe try some small KEF, Canton or B&W speakers. ;)
For speaker cable i really like the kimber 4pr, it should be enough for some bookshelf speakers.
Have fun, testing speakers is very cool!

Memphis wrote:
Audio Person could be a cool new gender fluid superhero.

:olo: :up:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

save some $ and go with an Onkyo

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
$300 CAD isn't much for a pair. Also a square room and wooden floor is definitely an issue.

Speaker positioning will be very important in your case, your system will only sound as good as your room and you're already starting with a bit of a disadvantage. Do you have speaker stands?

At the same time, your room is small so you can probably go for a bass-reflex setup. I don't think that you need a lot of power, so you can focus on having a decent range from a two-channel speaker (tweeter+woofer) with good imaging.

I'd look for something used, just make sure it matches your amp's specs.

thx for the reply .yea everything you say makes sense.

i should have been a bit more detailed.

they will be used for 2 channel music listening.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Sorry if this is not very helpful, but I think the best way is to test some speakers @home.
Some people like their speakers "neutral" some like more bass. It also depends on your position/distance to the speakers.
Maybe try some small KEF, Canton or B&W speakers. ;)
For speaker cable i really like the kimber 4pr, it should be enough for some bookshelf speakers.
Have fun, testing speakers is very cool!

Memphis wrote:

:olo: :up:

good brands and advice , unfortunately those brands are unavailable to me here :(

*plus i need to stay reasonably within budget.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
save some $ and go with an Onkyo

i agree

honestly i was planning Onkyo but anything within my budget did not seem to playback 192k-24bit proper formats from usb stick.

that was really the most important thing

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i ended up ordering Polk Audio RTIA3 in cherry

i was attracted to the 6.5" driver for 2 channel.

hopefully they will sound good , if not i can waddle my arse closeby to bestbuy and return them

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+1 for Polk :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whatever setup you end up with, check out sonarworks speaker/room calibration software.. you measure your rooms frequency response and EQ whatever stands out to make it flat. You can also emulate rooms and other speakers.. some expensive studio monitors have this room correction option already built in, but this is all new tech and very affordable. For 300 bucks you get the software and measuring mic, the result is you save a couple $k on room treatment and a couple more you would spend on speakers that give you a somewhat flat sound...

I made a mistake and bought new. headphones just before i came acros all this because they also have headphone calibration sofrware which gets you a flat response with max 3db peaks.. if you send them your phones they measure it and get you an eq curve that only peaks for 1db.. or you can just buy a set directly from them pre measured with itts unique eq curve...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have a look at Nubert speakers. High quality for a reasonable price. http://www.nubert.de Iirc there was a discussion about Nuberts some months ago here in the forum...

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-28-2016 11:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

:smirk:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

lol. Seriously you fuck, write a book. I'd buy it.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 10:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

Also, AuralMan sounds way too risque.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dubz wrote:
Whatever setup you end up with, check out sonarworks speaker/room calibration software.. you measure your rooms frequency response and EQ whatever stands out to make it flat. You can also emulate rooms and other speakers.. some expensive studio monitors have this room correction option already built in, but this is all new tech and very affordable. For 300 bucks you get the software and measuring mic, the result is you save a couple $k on room treatment and a couple more you would spend on speakers that give you a somewhat flat sound...

I made a mistake and bought new. headphones just before i came acros all this because they also have headphone calibration sofrware which gets you a flat response with max 3db peaks.. if you send them your phones they measure it and get you an eq curve that only peaks for 1db.. or you can just buy a set directly from them pre measured with itts unique eq curve...

thanks for taking the time to post dubz :up:

i am going to educate myself about the stuff you said.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

chopov wrote:
Have a look at Nubert speakers. High quality for a reasonable price. http://www.nubert.de Iirc there was a discussion about Nuberts some months ago here in the forum...

they seem ok

there is no way to get them here in canada without doubling the price from tariff and duties

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 11:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

get the sony's!

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
get the sony's!

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 02:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
good brands and advice , unfortunately those brands are unavailable to me here :(

*plus i need to stay reasonably within budget.

They're probably cheap to import now the pound is through the floor :D.

I have an Onkoyo 7.1 receiver and pretty second-hand Sony front and rear speakers. They sound great for films :shrug:. I'd love to invest in some nice B&W speakers but I'm just not sure it would be worth it for me given I rarely watch films.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well theyre germany speakers and i am from canada so the pound thing wont do much.

plus duties dont fluctuate with currency ey :p

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i myself use some old radioshack 70's mij receiver thing!

it has nice looking transformers in it and it has the metal encased power transistors that i insist on

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
well theyre germany speakers and i am from canada so the pound thing wont do much.

plus duties dont fluctuate with currency ey :p

KEF and B&W are British :)

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah excuse me ey i mistakenly thought you were referring to the Nuberts

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
they seem ok

Sorry, but they are not just OK. They are great. Been living with the NuPro A-200s for a good year now, as monitor speakers for the PC. Nationalism /off

redline
redline
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
plained wrote:
they seem ok

Sorry, but they are not just OK. They are great. Been living with the NuPro A-200s for a good year now, as monitor speakers for the PC. Nationalism /off

Those look nice but they're 345 EUR each.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i didnt care for the looks :shrug:

i like to have the option of taking the grils off .

no grills at all is something i could not handle.

i was shocked no larger drivers for those prices !

i am not saying theyre bad in any way, just expressing my impressions without hearing them,

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:

True, out of his range. 300 CanDolls is not something you go fishing for a decent pair of speakers, though. Only used ones. Maybe some Brauns ;) Nationalism /off again. No, honestly even older Braun models sound pretty fantastic. I got the M12 as stereo speakers with Kimber cables, spectacular. Maybe look for the LS 550 wall-mount speakers? Got a pair of those as well. Flat as they are, they do sound good.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea those old brauns sound killer

i remember i hade heard a set in the 80's and when i went to see them i could not believe the sound coming out of them!

theyre were tiny!

redline
redline
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:

True, out of his range. 300 CanDolls is not something you go fishing for a decent pair of speakers, though. Only used ones. Maybe some Brauns ;) Nationalism /off again. No, honestly even older Braun models sound pretty fantastic. I got the M12 as stereo speakers with Kimber cables, spectacular. Maybe look for the LS 550 wall-mount speakers? Got a pair of those as well. Flat as they are, they do sound good.

My speakers are Danish, headphones are German, no complaints :up:

British DAC/preamp though :disgust:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 10:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:

True that. The UK kills at those.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:

True that. The UK kills at those.

I'm actually not happy with mine to be honest. My first one broke, luckily it was right before its warranty expired. We'll see how long the replacement lasts.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
I'm actually not happy with mine to be honest. My first one broke, luckily it was right before its warranty expired. We'll see how long the replacement lasts.

You did not tell the brand, did you?

redline
redline
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:

You did not tell the brand, did you?

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.