Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Jim Jefferies on Gun Ownership

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Jim Jefferies on Gun Ownership

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 05-26-2015 03:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh you.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-26-2015 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grabbing his 9mm

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-26-2015 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ZING!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:

He's also missing the point - there is no such thing as a protection rifle, even if it's just a 'name' (which it isn't) there's no terminology for a protection weapon.

That's the thing. If it spews out 30 bullets per second, it doesn't matter what it's called. It goes well past home security anyway.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, look at homes designed for security: they usually have high thick walls made of stone/concrete, or moats, or barbed wire, bunkers, embrasures, firesteps etc. now look at the average suburban home: large areas of the outer wall made of glass, thin inner walls that allow rounds that miss the target to pass through and hit other people, no moats/firesteps/embrasures etc. in short, a fucking awful defensive position little better than standing in the middle of the lawn with your pants on your head and your dick in your hand

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Basically this guy is correct and completely owned all of the morons who collect assault rifles just to shoot at paper.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
little better than standing in the middle of the lawn with your pants on your head and your dick in your hand

Or, as Scourge calls it: "Friday".

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, Saturday.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 01:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this gun issue recently, and I have a theory.

I think at the heart of every "proud American" (key phrase here) is a deep-seeded feeling that culturally, Americans are extremely shallow, but further, their entire history is actually not their history, but just a continuing chapter of British maritime/colonial history.

I think their obsession with "protection" is actually just an extension of that fact, rather than an actual fear of a threat.

Anyone hold with this, or am I completely off here?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 03:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spot on.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well well well, the 2 brit cunts agree

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Slarveback secretly agrees.

PostPosted: 05-29-2015 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my English half agrees

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

syp0s wrote:
I think at the heart of every "proud American" (key phrase here) is a deep-seeded feeling that culturally, Americans are extremely shallow, but further, their entire history is actually not their history, but just a continuing chapter of British maritime/colonial history.

I think their obsession with "protection" is actually just an extension of that fact, rather than an actual fear of a threat.

i think 'gun culture' (for want of a better phrase) originates in frontier times, when America was spread out (it still is) and there were a lot of isolated communities far from anything like law enforcement, and during the 20th century gun ownership has mutated from a matter of utility into a cultural marker, a facet of American identity. it isn't supposed to be rational; this is why so many arguments for gun ownership sound like unconvincing post-hoc reasoning

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Americans don't think, or give a shit about their history or culture. A lot of peeps just believe guns are a right, and it's extremely ingrained, almost like a religion. It's going to take a few generations before any progress is made in terms of gun control.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye I was going to say more like a religion. It's been drummed in from birth that guns are safe, guns are good, guns make freedom, red coats want your guns etc and it's now like a doctrine that is defended even in the face of irrefutable facts. They don't care what the reasons are behind it anymore than the God squad cares about what's written in the bible, they just pick the their arguements and cling to them because it suits them, they're in denial or just plain stupid.

That's not everyone I imagine, I think some are on the sidelines who don't have a real conviction one way or another but that's the jist of it I think.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 05:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The argument for and against guns is pointless here. But I'm always fascinated by the amount of Europeans that are so vehemently upset by that constitutional right. You really have to ask yourself why would someone so far removed from a culture and/or location even care? Is it because they care so much about Americans that they can't stand to see them kill each other with those wicked guns? Or is it a deeper sense of entitlement that says I should have that right too?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 06:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wasn't arguing for or against. That debate has gone on for years here and never gets anywhere. Not going down that rabbit hole. You guys have fun with that.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 07:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
The argument for and against guns is pointless here. But I'm always fascinated by the amount of Europeans that are so vehemently upset by that constitutional right. You really have to ask yourself why would someone so far removed from a culture and/or location even care? Is it because they care so much about Americans that they can't stand to see them kill each other with those wicked guns? Or is it a deeper sense of entitlement that says I should have that right too?

Do you prefer shooting paper or dirt?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 07:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

A constitutional right which was an amendment that made some modicum of sense back when it was amended into the constitution (as it was actually relevant). What makes you think it can't just be amended out? In today's times, the amendment is completely meaningless.

As he said, dictionary -> thesaurus -> amendment.

The real issue is you dumb cunts are too scared of change. What are you going to do, bring guns to a drone fight? :olo:

If you have a right to bear arms so you could overthrow your government, fucking get to it. Lord knows they are fucking raping all of you up the asshole with a barbed dildo and zero lube, what the fuck better time than now?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No answer as to why you care. Hmmm...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 10:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Euros are so pathetic... They just mad they got owned by the noobs...

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 05-29-2015 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Isn't it sad that the foreigners are more "upset" about US schoolkids getting gunned down every other year than the US citizens are?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 12:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Euros are so pathetic... They just mad they got owned by the noobs...

You do realise France is in Europe ?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

I care because my family now live and visit there. I think America is a great country. I didn't used to, until I visited a few times, and then grew to love it. Whenever I'm there, especially if I head out to towns in the Mojave, or hick towns around the southern coast, I'm struct by how the Americans I mentioned in my first post have the unique ability to be righteous, but unpredictable and extremely dangerous.

Case in point: I was in LA in 2012. I grew up listening to Hip Hop, and wanted to see some of the areas I'd heard so much about. Took a drive down to East LA, left my car outside Watts towers and spent the day walking from Watts, through Compton, all the way up to 83rd Street(Florance/Normandie), which is apparently one of the most dangerous areas in the whole of Los Angeles. Between these destinations, I walked past crips in Hoover St and Grape St, and Bloods, in fact, stopping and talking to a pair of them who belonged to Bounty Hunters. I had a camera on my shoulder the entire six hours I walked around, and not once was I robbed, raped, stabbed, killed, inducted into a gang, carjacked, or even threatened.

Now, two days later, I'm just outside the Mojave desert getting a burger from Jack In The Box. I'm waiting for my girlfriend to come out of the restaurant, and there's a white hick-looking guy next to me getting stuff out of the back of a pickup that has a gigantic Christian cross painted on the hood. He looks at me, and before I can even give him a friendly smile, says, "keep walking", and flashes the butt of a rifle from his truck bed.

THAT'S who I'm talking about. He was so threatened by me just standing there, that he had to warn me that if I didn't move on, he was going to murder me in cold blood. I don't consider his actions the work of a maniac, I consider them the work of a man who is terrified of me and everything around him. And I personally believe it's tied to the American belief that they have no identity. He's the kind of person who would quote the constitution and all of it's unamendable amendments in the event you questioned his indefensible "right" to own a gun. And his only reason would be some gibberish about protection.

No other nation on earth seems as culturally devoid as white America. I think it's why white people in the US are so obsessed with Heritage. Proud Americans can always tell you their bloodline, and it always leads back to Europe. I think they secretly love and loathe it in equal measure.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So you've answered for you. Though I do believe your reason for disdain of the Americans right to bare arms is a bit weak and based on a highly unlikely scenario. (I say right because I think it's the absence of that right that has most Europeans upset) You or any other European are more likely to be killed in a plane crash over than being murdered by a firearm on a visit to America or living here for that matter. That being the case, I don't think you're being 100% honest as to why you care so much. I also believe your blanket assessment of people who own firearms is incorrect as well. Mostly because of your cultural difference. You're opinion represents a very low percentage of gun owners and is based on your limited exposure and stereotypes.

Anyway, I'm not going to change your opinion and you're not going to change mine.

Cheers.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't made a blanket assessment at all. It's why I put "proud Americans" in quotations, it's addressing a very specific type of American. One I've only ever encountered in tiny, tiny doses, in very specific parts of the US. Like I said.

If I'm not being honest, care to tell me what you believe I may be secretly thinking? I'd be genuinely interested to know.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
... I think it's the absence of that right that has most Europeans upset...

rofl

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So who exactly are you speak about when you say "proud American" and what does that term imply? I also did say what I think has most Europeans upset about American being able to own firearms in my last post.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, honestly, I've never once had a conversation about wanting to own a gun, or ever heard anyone say it.

Most people in Europe have the right to own a firearm. I know in England you're allowed to apply for a shotgun license, and then you can have firearms in your home. I only know once person who has a license, though, and he lives int he middle of the country and uses it for clay pigeon shooting.

There's definitely no notable yearning for gun ownership in England, and I dare say in any of the peacetime countries of Europe.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 06:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
So who exactly are you speak about when you say "proud American" and what does that term imply? I also did say what I think has most Europeans upset about American being able to own firearms in my last post.

Exactly the guy I described in my story.

I'll give you an analogous explanation: In the UK, if you said the term "proud Brit" or "patriot", you'd be describing one type of person: A disenfranchised working class male of 22-40, who invariably dislikes foreigners, completely opposes immigration of any kind, supports the Royal Family in everything they do (God Save The Queen, etc..), supports the troops, has a George cross flag in his home, or a George Cross tattoo somewhere on his body, drinks a lot of alcohol, and, without question, LOVES football and HATES Muslims. If slightly more intellectual, they'll believe the BBC to be run by Jews, along with the rest of the world, and will consider opposing their viewpoint to be "lefty propaganda".

If I said "Proud American". I guess I'm talking about your everyday Ted Nugent types, but stupider.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 06:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Europeans don't care about gun ownership. We do care about having to share this world with people who believe they are the enlightened population of this planet yet can't fathom the idea that current gun control laws in the US (or lack thereof) is causing problems, while they vigorously defend this right with retarded arguments.

The analogy with religion isn't that far off. Discussing gun ownership with Americans is like discussing religion with Christians.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
right to bare arms

A farmer's tan, being necessary to the identity of a redneck, the right of the people to keep and bare arms, shall not be infringed.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-30-2015 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
No answer as to why you care. Hmmm...

I care because the the nature of mass globalization of everything and the population explosion over the last 20+ years means that the planet is increasingly becoming (or rather needs to become in order that we don't exterminate ourselves) a place for humans, not a place for Americans, Canadians, Euros, Africans, Australians, whatever, etc., etc. Your shitty barbaric caveman bullshit with guns is a hindrance to that. Your country is caught in massive, even historical, strife and I don't believe anyone there knows how or what to do to temper it. The next 100 years will be pretty interesting for USA to say the least.

Fuckin' 'murica

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.