Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Overwatch

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Overwatch

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-31-2016 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not like you can really exploit that for benefit in an actual match, though. I think it's actually pretty clever to have all Nepal stages on one map; it means no loading screens between KotH matches. Also it's neat to be able to look up and see the stage you just played on. :)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-31-2016 11:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Remaster RTCW, or Quake Wars already ffs :miffed:

Go buy this game

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-01-2016 06:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally got around to finishing competitive placement matches. Placed at 58 and thought "wow I'm even worse than I thought". However, apparently 58 is the 82nd percentile so I guess that's ok.
Got to 59 last night but realize that it's going to be nearly impossible to actually go up in the rankings with pugs; a team you regularly play with is necessary to avoid the mouth-breathers who will be a large enough burden on the team to cause you to lose rounds that could/should have been an easy win.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-01-2016 09:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been wondering how match making works for placement matches. Thing is, in competitive I'm only rank 35 or so, but 8 out of 10 or so placement matches were absolute massacres for my team.

I'm also seeing lots of level 100+ players. I've seen a lot of players say that competitive rank is the only thing that matters and that level only indicates someone has played a lot and isn't necessarily a good player.

This makes sense, but it also makes sense to assume that a lvl100 player is better than a lvl25 player by experience. If a lvl100 player flunked his placement matches, he'll get chugged in with the less experienced (less good) low level players.

As probably everyone knows, it's near impossible to climb out of lower ranks due to never gaining rank from a lost match so really good high level players might endlessly get stuck in with low level players that just suck or are complete morons.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like the new summer skins are going to be Olympics related.

These ones are possibly not skins, perhaps just promotional stickers or something?

From the PS4 store in the UK:

Looks like you can't buy these with saved up coins, they're available from special time limited loot boxes only.

Quote:
Celebrate Overwatch's inaugural Summer Games with special Summer Games Loot Boxes - available for a limited time*!

Each contains four items, at least one of which is guaranteed to be a Summer Games skin, spray, highlight intro, emote, victory pose, player icon, or voice line. There are more than 90 Summer Games items to collect - they're not available for purchase with in-game credits, so Loot Boxes are the only way to claim them.

If your Summer Games Loot Box contains an item that is already in your collection, you will instead receive credits, which can only be used to unlock non-Summer Games items.

*Summer Games Loot Boxes are available to purchase or earn in-game until 8/22/16 at 11:59pm PT.

Source.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 09:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
Finally got around to finishing competitive placement matches. Placed at 58 and thought "wow I'm even worse than I thought". However, apparently 58 is the 82nd percentile so I guess that's ok.
Got to 59 last night but realize that it's going to be nearly impossible to actually go up in the rankings with pugs; a team you regularly play with is necessary to avoid the mouth-breathers who will be a large enough burden on the team to cause you to lose rounds that could/should have been an easy win.

Blizzard have said if you are level 80 you are basically a god in this game.
50 means you are pretty good

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 12:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Getting paired with some of the worst players imaginable. Lost every single round today and went from 60 to 57 and im gold medals all across the board.
My team is running around like a bunch of assholes like "HURR DURR HOW DO I OVERWATCH LETS FIGHT AS FAR AWAY FROM THE POINT AS POSSIBLE AND TRICKLE IN ONE BY ONE"
And I'm at spawn spamming group up macro they're like "wow reporting for afk"

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 12:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More rounds lost. 56. Repeated losses. Not a single win all day. Just got paired against high 60s rank and team just ran around in circles

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You really don't want to know what the competitive experience is like at rank 34, where I'm currently at.

Competitive is just pissing me off too much. I lost a domination game today 3 to 1. We won the first round, easy but lost the next three rounds only marginally (99% vs 99% with long overtimes) and yet you lose the full pack of rank points. The game was pretty much a tie in all but the final coin flip. Can't they keep that in mind when calculating how much ranking you gain/lose?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Official announcement video. The Zarya skin is amazing! Lucioball looks like a Rocket League ripoff.

Developer Update.

Last edited by U4EA on 08-02-2016 01:28 PM, edited 2 times in total.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Patch notes. Looks like everything is live now. Plus some bug fixes.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatc ... 0747925082

Summer Games blog post.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20216482

A lot of people are super upset that these are limited time and you can't buy specific things you want. It's completely luck of the draw, and incentivises you to either spend a lot of money, or play a lot during the next 3 weeks. Lucky you if you were close to prestiging, since the first 20 odd levels take much less xp.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 01:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I lucked out and got one of the new zarya skins... but it's the full red one, not the white/red skin that I was hoping for. Still, it's better than any of her other skin choices.
I also got the new McCree skin with the american flag draped over his shoulders. Not really a fan of it though.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've never in my life spent money on cosmetics or optional content, but I'm strongly considering it now.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 02:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Literally just lost another rank. Sudden death on shitbaltra where we had pushed the cart with 4 minutes left to spare on 2nd round while the other team had to push into overtime..... we clearly won......... sudden death, 40 seconds to get to checkpoint, payload glitches....... gets to checkpoint doesnt count it and travels through the doors then is like DEFEAT
this game is fucking dogshit

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 02:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 02:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's actually 100% accurate honestly

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 05:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
A lot of people are super upset that these are limited time and you can't buy specific things you want. It's completely luck of the draw, and incentivises you to either spend a lot of money, or play a lot during the next 3 weeks. Lucky you if you were close to prestiging, since the first 20 odd levels take much less xp.

Noice, I just hit 203 last night. :up:

Silicone_Milk wrote:
Literally just lost another rank. Sudden death on shitbaltra where we had pushed the cart with 4 minutes left to spare on 2nd round while the other team had to push into overtime..... we clearly won......... sudden death, 40 seconds to get to checkpoint, payload glitches....... gets to checkpoint doesnt count it and travels through the doors then is like DEFEAT
this game is fucking dogshit

You need to find a group of 5 others to play with if you want to do competitive. If you're doing it with pick-up-groups, expect to continue running your head into a wall.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 06:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a bug with the map that prevents the attacking team from being able to win = free defeat = lose a rank. It's not an issue with the teammates being retarded.
All my friends are shitlords though and play on PS4 and the one guy who does play PC as well gets booty bothered if anybody says anything negative in voice chat and gets triggered or w/e.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 10:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

someone get this pushy Olympics shit out of my game.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-03-2016 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's bullshit, I opened one of those boxes and got no skin.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 08-03-2016 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cudos to OW for bringing the pain and rage that is ranked DOTA to the casual masses.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-03-2016 09:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still losing every single round. Dropping ranks like mad

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-03-2016 11:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like you got lucky in placements.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 12:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who plays on PC or PS4 and fancies a few rounds?

Also Memphis- buy this game

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 08:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

This.

My friend comes over to play all the time. There's a noticable difference in skill between us, he's not really a gamer and I am so it's not a huge surprise. When I placed I was at 47 and he just placed the other day and was a 53 yet I know, and so does he, that there's no way he's better than I am. It really is just luck of the draw with whom you're placed with. The number has no relevance to your actual skill. I did stop playing in pubs though for competitive and now I'll only join up if I see friends playing that I can group with. My rank went from 38 to 49 and it's still climbing.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 10:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So this basically answers what I asked here. Placement matches really are just random groups. So that explains why I see relatively many high level players in relatively low ranks. They probably can't consistently climb the ranks due to rank changes being based on group effort rather than your individual skill. It also explains why I, against an underdog team, manage to get completely overwhelmed by the opponents. Their rank may be lower but their level is a factor 3 to 5 higher than that of my team.

Again, I understand that level is merely a reflection of time spent playing and not necessarily of skill, but skill comes with practice so I'm sure a 100+ level player is, on average, much better than a lvl 25 player.

tl;dr competitive is inherently broken

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 01:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

Or getting incredibly unlucky with pugs. I'm in the top 10k players for Zarya performance in the U.S. so I don't think I'm performing poorly with her most rounds.
Had a team where somebody chose to use Mercy as support (and that's fine, glad somebody was healing) but didn't use her ult once. The reasoning? "You guys died spread apart and the most I could have rezzed was 2 or 3 of you."
Had a McCree in a round last night who was just ignoring the pharah shitting on everybody and trying to kill the roadhog instead. Every encounter.
I'd swap heroes to counter the enemy team when nobody else will but then we'd be without a tank since nobody seems to want to play one on any of the teams I join.

During placement, people were communicating and coordinating their ult usage. I lost 2 out of the 10 placement rounds. We did well, worked well together, and everybody was open to swapping heroes when it was necessary to do so. Now I'm having to mute people because they're making koala noises in mic the entire round, going on about how shit everybody was as he plays widowmaker and misses every shot.
My favorite was the round I was in where our Mei kept walling us off into our spawn and at any chokepoint she could.

I think that skill rating adjustment should be based on individual performance/contribution in the round rather than this black/white "did the team lose or win?". Especially with pugs where you have no control over who you get stuck with and there's a chance to get some drunk asshole who wants to troll your team or to get somebody who actually does want to help the team win. At the very least, pre-mades should never be allowed to be pitted against pugs.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like a typical PUG experience to me. It's easy to notice when there are retards on your team, but what you didn't see was the same shit happening on the other team. You need to beef up your friends list and start playing in groups of 4 to 6, bro. :up:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 02:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most of the people on my friends list are honestly not very good at the game. I'll play quick play with them but wouldn't want to do any competitives with them.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 08:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry bro, I mostly suck too. :shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 01:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Switched back to playing quick games. Suddenly had a lot more fun again. Actually saw less retardedness than in competitive. Maybe that's just me though, due to me being less stressed about winning.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 04:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fired up Winston, which I rarely play because I find he dies far too fast. I hate to say it but he shouldn't even be in the tank class of characters. He fucking sucks. Both he and DVA have 500 health but he drops like a ton of bricks and his gun seems to tickle more than it hurts. Then I started thinking about all the fights I've had against Winston players and realize, he's never been a threat to me. I see winston players and I think "oh good an easy kill!". He's atrocious and needs a buff of some kind. I wound up just rage quitting the match, so fucking frustrating. I should have recorded it but I swear I came around a corner, jumped on top of mcree (he didn't know I was there till I landed on him) Started shooting him with the lightning. Mcree turned around, stunned me, tried to span me with his rapid fire and missed almost every shot. I unfroze, shot him some more and then bam, one rocket from pharah and I was dead. I don't fucking get how you go so fast from 500 hp to 0 with Winston but take a massive beating with DVA who has the same hitpoints?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 05:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you're playing him wrong.

you really need to understand that this is a team game, even moreso when you're playing support or tank. you can't solo winston. His job is to jump behind enemy main lines and irritate the back line squishies. you jump in behind, irritate, drop a shield as soon as they start firing at you, and by the time the shield fails you're ready to leap back out of there... rinse and repeat. or if you're feeling brave, jump directly up while reloading a crash right into the thick of things again, which also deals damage around a small area . also, I can always suprise that phara , Hanoi or widow who think they are beyond reach. The level of panic I see in them when they are doing their thing on some roof, only to see a monkey leap right in their face and make their life a leaving hell is hillarious. They almost always panic , they rarely even think to fight back

Between that and his ult. ability, your job is to really shake up the enemy lines and throw them off balance, disorganize them for a few precious seconds while your team gets in there and picks off the enemy.

Also. his weapon can be a huge irritation to most squishies, specially if they are all bunched up together. those lightning arcs branch off to pretty much anyone near you and can do significant damage collectively.

you really shouldn't be concerned with his 1v1 performance while playing him.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I must be, but it still doesn't change the fact that Winston has always been a non issue for me in games. He's like a fly I swat away from a meal. You don't really think about him as a threat. I can't recall ever losing a match and saying "man that Winston sure was badass" and now that I think about it, I don't think I've EVER seen a play of the game that featured Winston. Nor do I think I've ever won a game because a Winston player on my team did such a great job. In fact, I'm not even sure I've ever won a game with someone playing as Winston on my team.

I might be playing him wrong, but he still sucks.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well, he still sees use in the competitive scene, where half of the characters are never used, so he definitely has something to bring to the table.. his ult alone, is a huge KotH disruptor for clearing out the point... maybe it takes cohesive teamplay to make use of him. So maybe in your pub games, he won't be much of any use. But I personally still use him. Do i ever feel like we won because I used winston? not particularly. But then again, I don't get that immediate repulse effect I get when trying to use other useless characters, compared to him.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.