Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        *nerd rage

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: *nerd rage

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-19-2011 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow, that's a great out of the box ad. gg id :up:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-19-2011 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

should have been willits and carmack, not random nerd staff... but heh, tiger jump!

*edit- esp for the bad acting that would ensue :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-19-2011 10:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-19-2011 10:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
New gameplay video. AI looks pretty nifty.

Fuck Deus Ex. Shooting people in the FACE never looked better.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 05:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but there are some physics /animation flaws with the character deaths. check out that dude @ 5:28 after he kicks the turret he gets shot, but he falls back more toward the left than one would expect from the player's position.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 06:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FORWARD.... AND TO THE LEFT

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
FORWARD.... AND TO THE LEFT

forward in relation to the player sure, but backward in relation to the dude.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

someone's not getting the funny :P

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:(

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 10:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 11:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The crayons, cute sound effect.

This is looking pretty damn good.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

they recycled an old classic quake sound for the crayola pickup :)

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 02:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was that a bfg?

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 02:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is starting to look better and better. Screw the nay-sayers, this just screams fun.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 02:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like the mind control darts

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 03:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Love the ending...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 01:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh shit, that is just amazing. Really, if anyone still calls this game boring, then you really have no taste.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its not boring as such, I find with each movie they release it looks a little more entertaining and I want it a little more.

The problem isn't what it is, more what it COULD have been, if only they didn't stick too much to the age old formula. It really is screaming for some more open world-ness and RPGish elements.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The population is greatly decreased
And now the odds are greatly increased ..

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 08:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Its not boring as such, I find with each movie they release it looks a little more entertaining and I want it a little more.

The problem isn't what it is, more what it COULD have been, if only they didn't stick too much to the age old formula. It really is screaming for some more open world-ness and RPGish elements.

And that's where you're wrong. This game is exactly what it's supposed to be, no more, no less. It certainly isn't encumbered by RPG nonsense, and that was a good choice IMO.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree. There's nothing wrong with either type of game. I'm most excited for an action FPS where multiplayer was given a heaping bowl of fuck off.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
This game is exactly what it's supposed to be...

what utter wank you talk sometimes

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 09:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why? It's clear that id Software is going for an intense, in-your-face type of game with no frills and nonsense that detract from the core experience. This is simply what id Software does and this is what they're good at. In that sense, this game is what it's supposed to be. It is an intense FPS action game that doesn't try to incorporate RPG elements it really doesn't need. If that's talking "utter wank", then enlighten me with your deeper understanding of the failings of Rage.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i couldn't care less about what this or that game is 'supposed' to be according to some raging fanboy; it's just ironic that you mock o'dium for his wank-talking tone, then adopt the same tone yourself

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it's an all-intense, in your face purist shooter, then why did they use 1/3rd of that trailer showing the character wondering around a town, pretending to interact with things?

The game obviously wants to be more than it is, but because it looks like it's failing to deliver, people fall back and say it's aiming for the id "core experience" instead. I'm not sure what the hell RAGE wants to be to be honest.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMG I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT BIG GUN DOES!!! OMGOMGOMGRAPAGEFROFLUL

btw the game looks graphically superior! with so many big players in the industry these days, this is no small feat :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
I'm not sure what the hell RAGE wants to be to be honest.

Bioshock?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

That looked fun as hell. I'm definitely getting Rage now.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 02:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
i couldn't care less about what this or that game is 'supposed' to be according to some raging fanboy; it's just ironic that you mock o'dium for his wank-talking tone, then adopt the same tone yourself

I'm not mocking anyone for a wank talking tone :shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 02:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
The game obviously wants to be more than it is, but because it looks like it's failing to deliver, people fall back and say it's aiming for the id "core experience" instead. I'm not sure what the hell RAGE wants to be to be honest.

Who says it wants to be more than it is? Have you played it? For all we know the town is just a central hub, a starting point from where you embark on different missions and a way to more carefully forward the story. Besides, a game needs pacing. You can't have the player on the edge of his seat all the time because that just doesn't work. A safe town like the one we've seen could be a way of slowing down the pace of the game, only to have the intensity of the actual missions increased.

Look, I'm not arguing here that this game is awesome because it's from id Software, it's just that I what I see of the game really tickles my FPS gamers' lobes. You may personally not be interested in such games anymore, sure, that's personal taste and that is allowed. But to say that this game won't "deliver" or is a boring or bad game clearly misses the mark.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When a trailer dedicates 1/3rd of the video to the exploration/interaction/rpg-style gameplay elements, then it's obviously an important part of the game. I don't need to play it to know how they're trying to market it sir.

You're making statements like "This game is exactly what it's supposed to be" when the trailer says otherwise. If it was a straight up shooter, it'd be compared to other games like Quake, COD, Halo, etc... but when it starts introducing features like hub exploration, interacting with citizens and having a level up system, then it's going to be compared with Borderlands, Fallout, Stalker, Bioshock etc.. and next to these games, it seems really limited to me. I assure you, these comparisons will be made come review time and people will judge it against them and not just id's own back catalogue.

That's just the way the industry works. Comparing individual game merits with other reference points in the genre. In this respect (and this is my own personal viewpoint as you say) then it doesn't look to deliver, at least for me. As odium says, it could have been so much more.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it looks like a lot of fun to me. heh its nice noticing methods level/texture work. there is some q3w in rage.

"i like it"
"i hate it"
repeat... zzzz

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Loved the Quayola pick-up, "64 shades of brown!" :olo: But the DOOM reference fell flat because the artwork on the box . :( It is really cool when they re-use sound effects though. The key card in D3 played the original key card sound effect from 93 when you picked it up. Good fan service.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 10:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jeez that looks boring as hell.
frantic in your face gameplay? the highest number of enemies at once in that vid was.. two. and they both were killed by pivoting in the same spot and hitting them with the quintessential shotgunblast. playermovement looks to be about half a mile an hour.

i'll wait for SS3 for the frantic in your face gameplay tyvm

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.