Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Currently watching..... on the TV

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Currently watching..... on the TV

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-13-2023 06:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Yennefer is rather easy on the eye

No flies on her…

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-14-2023 01:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To be honest, I think the core three characters of Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri were all well cast. Oh, Stregobor's pretty good too.

But a lot of the other casting and narrative decisions were baffling, to put it politely, and tokenism to be not so polite.

And much like Altered Carbon, the longer it goes on, the more I see the influence of a writer who actually despises the source material at a low level and wants to write their own story.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-14-2023 11:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

S1 was great. I didn't enjoy S2 as much, mostly due to the narrative construct.
I have no interest in S3 without Cavill

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-15-2023 02:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

S3 has Cavill in there - S4 will not

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-19-2023 02:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh rly.
Eh still, interest waned nonetheless.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-24-2023 07:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been watching Deadwood (2004).

COCKSUCKER!!!

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 09-05-2023 05:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Been watching Deadwood (2004).

COCKSUCKER!!!

Oh man, so good.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-07-2023 01:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deadwood: in the top 3 of best TV shows of all time and yet somehow absent from every 'top 50 best TV shows of all time' list i've seen :dork:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-22-2023 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am currently watching a couple of things on Prime:

Reacher, which is dumb but entertaining.

And probably the best thing on telly at the moment, Fargo season 5.
Fargo's had it's ups and downs since season 1, but this is an absolute corker.
Stupendous performances all round, with Jennifer Jason Leigh and that chap from Stranger Things being particularly fantastic as villains I love to hate.
Whenever Noah Hawley lends his hand to something, it's always worth a watch :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-09-2024 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: Currently watching on the TV...Watching, well binge watching Star Trek Picard over 3 nights, one season a night :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-25-2024 07:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Season 2 of reacher is so... bad. Like it's entertaining but jeeze, like does it have to be THAT predictable? Big man strong, I get it.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-27-2024 02:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished watching series 2 of The Traitors on BBC. What a show; surprisingly compelling viewing. Would recommend.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-27-2024 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Re: Currently watching on the TV...Watching, well binge watching Star Trek Picard over 3 nights, one season a night :)

This reminded me I still have to watch S3 of Picard.
Watched the first few episodes now and so far it's the best season of the series yet. And most of that's due to it really going back to the classic crew-on-a-starship form. That's what Star Trek is about.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-08-2024 02:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Completed the series (Start Trek Picard) and, Jesus Christ, is season 3 one big overly nostalgic circlejerk but oh my god did I love it. At some point you'll be thinking "noo, this is too much nostalgia" and the writers go "really? too much? how about this" and you go "ohhhhh yeesssss". Sorry, I'm a bit of a Star Trek nerd like that. The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager were like a religion to me.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-11-2024 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

True Detective Night Country…..meh

Lonesome Dove :paranoid:

The Wire S2

X-Files…..I think we’re on season 6

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-25-2024 02:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched The Gentlemen, a Netflix series by Guy Ritchie.
It's typical Ritchie style pulp. It's absurd. It's ridiculous. It's grotesque. It's hilarious.

Ritchie isn't exactly an example of someone that constantly evolves and reinvents himself. The Gentlemen is basically a continuation of the style of his works like Snatch and Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. In fact, The Gentlemen was originally a 2019 movie by Ritchie himself, which he has re-imagined into an 8-episode Netflix series.

If you enjoy movies like the aforementioned ones, this is right up your alley. If you're looking for meaningful depth or philosophical contemplation, look elsewhere. This is style over substance. But that's alright, because Ritchie is a master at what he does best. This type of gangster pulp, somehow always with Vinnie Jones popping up somewhere.

The interesting spin in The Gentlemen is that the criminal underworld and the upper class British aristocracy come together. Especially the latter doesn't get away unscathed as Ritchie clearly paints a picture of a completely deranged, self-absorbed group of pompous lunatics spread all across the UK, residing in castles and enormous mansions and driving expensive cars that are only family possession by virtue of inheritance. Self-absorbed, ignorant and apathetic enough to be used in a parasitical manner by the criminal underworld to be sucked completely dry. If there's any depth or social commentary to take away from this series, it's Ritchie's criticism on British aristocracy by portraying them in this manner.

The characters in the series are without much depth, but each one of them is a caricature such that, when you put them together, the result is bigger than the sum of its parts. Absolutely funny things happen and absolutely cruel and grotesque things happen. But even those things somehow become funny in an odd way because of the absurdity of it all. It's not a comedy in the sense that you could put a laughing track under it, but it's this melange of style and characters and situations that they find themselves in that it's relatively lighthearted most of the time.

Would recommend: 9/10

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-25-2024 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I was looking forward to and really enjoyed The Gentlemen.
I'm not sure the ending really held together, but it was a good romp overall.

Staying on a Netflix thread, I'm watching their adaptation of The Three Body Problem.
Aside from some inconsequential location and gender swapping to make the story more international and more relatable, it's very faithful to the book.

But that might be its downfall.

The books as a trilogy are relentlessly, crushingly nihilistic. There's no happy ending here.
While I appreciated the level of research and detail in the novels, I found the whole trilogy is just incredibly cynical, with no bright spots.
And if they remain faithful to the books, I can't see how they could adapt them to make them "happier".
I mean yes, I get it, not everything has to have a happy ending. But there is no hope to be found anywhere in the books. They even end with:
the destruction of the entire universe.

So yes, it's all big-brain stuff, with production values through the roof. The episode "Judgment Day" in particular is a tour-de-force of effects work.

But there's not much to "like" here.

I would still recommend it, because there's nothing quite so interesting or focussed on hard science immediately available in the genre of TV sci-fi.

One upside compared to the books is that they seem to have eliminated a lot of the creepier misogynistic portrayals of women.
Even though the vast majority of central characters in the books were women, their portrayal was more often than not quite problematic.

Edit: Oh yeah, Benedict Wong and Liam Cunningham are, as ever, excellent, as are the two actors playing young and old Ye Wenjie, Zine Tseng and Rosalind Chao.
You can also tell by a lot of the casting decisions that this is a Benioff & Weiss production.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-27-2024 05:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've watched the first three episodes and to be honest, I can't make much of it so far. It's like it doesn't know what it wants to be.

Is it a supernatural horror movie? Is it a detective thriller? Is it a scifi show? Is it about aliens? Is it trying to make statements on the impact of humanity on our own planet and future? Is it trying to make some vague point about science vs religion? Why are there so many plot holes? Why is the scifi leaning way into the "fi" while the "sci" goes little deeper than superficial name dropping and a bunch of young people saying "brah brah I'm a scientist there's nothing like a good ol swig of science" while literally doing no science at any point at all.

I'm kind of lost here, honestly.

And sure, maybe I need to press on because things come together in the coming episodes but you know, after three episodes I'm still not sure if I actually like it, whereas I was hooked on The Gentlemen half an episode in. Yeah, you could suggest that I'm more of a "style over substance" guy then, but when people talk about hard-sci and stuff, I'm expecting more of a The Martian kind of deal than the X-Files.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-27-2024 05:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's pure, hard sci-fi.
It may not seem so at first, and to be honest, a lot of the more technical stuff probably does get glossed over for the sake of expediency in the TV adaptation, but it is very well researched.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-27-2024 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spoilers ahead:
So far, the hard sci gets seriously watered down by unexplained stuff like Morse code flickering stars, the sun being used as an amp, people seeing digital clocks, fluent Chinese speaking aliens and oh yeah a VR device that's tech from 100 years in the future which virtually transports you to Xanadu where some Khan is advised by Newton and Turing through a 30 million people strong human CPU.

Hard science. Sure.

Ok, granted, the CPU thing might not be technically impossible, but it lies so far in the realm of fantasy that it can in no way be considered hard science. The remaining argument is that it's inside a purpose-built virtual world so it doesn't have to be realistic but when your cinematic world contains plot devices that allow you to portray any form of fantasy as reality then the hard science thing flies out the window pretty quickly.

I'm sure the author of the books thought through the whole using the sun as an amp thing really well, but when its presented as matter of factly as the TV adaptation does, with no science to back it up other than that an American scientist received a signal from Jupiter then it doesn't sell it that well to me and it stays in the same realm as dragons, wildfire and monsters beyond the wall.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-27-2024 07:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Remember, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Cixin Liu goes hard on this. Trust me, if you thought The Expanse was hard sci-fi, this makes it look like fantasy.

But you do have to be "comfortable" with the concept of multi-dimensional space (that is, dimensions beyond the four we perceive) and quantum entanglement.

I will admit, the TV series doesn't spend enough time explaining the Sophons as they need to for everything to click. But it's a really hard concept to show on-screen in a limited time.

Much more than that and it gets spoilery.

I would recommend reading the books, but A: I don't want to be that book-wanker and B: they're really fucking nihilistic.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-29-2024 01:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry to keep disagreeing with you. I haven't read the books so all I can go by is what the TV show has on offer. I watched all of season 1 now and it left me less than impressed. In fact, I've been audibly groaning with discontent from time to time.

Maybe your perspective differs from mine because you did read the books and maybe, I can't be sure, but maybe the books do fill in the science gaps that the TV show leaves so widely open.

"Sufficiently advanced technology will be perceived as magic" isn't, from a story telling perspective, a reason or an explanation. Instead, it's an excuse for poor storytelling. What I mean is that no matter how wildly "out there" your ideas are, they need to gel with the world you're portraying. It needs to be clear what the fantastic is capable of and, more importantly, what they can't do. It's why I accept the existence of dragons in Game of Thrones. They belong there. They react to the world like you'd expect them to and the world reacts to them accordingly. It's why I accepted Geordi La Forge and Data (a fantastical cybernetic being) discussing anti-matter warp drives and dilithium crystals and Borg cubes because the world of Star Trek fits those things and the limits of each of these things is clear.

"3 body problem" however, presents a current day world confined within the borders of the laws of physics and current day technology. The series goes out of its way to present the importance of factually correct science. It's actually one of the cornerstones of the series: mankind's advancement in science and technology.

But then there's the sudden introduction of impossible technology (impossible from our current day Earth point of view). The TV show then just assumes I'll mentally accept all this, right after being primed into a "this is going to be about real science" mode. To me, it's like introducing space ships into Game of Thrones or having robed wizards conjuring up fireballs and lightning bolts in Star Trek.

I understand that in the book (click for spoilers)
the universe blinking is someone detecting some weird deviation in background radiation, who ends up going mad because of not being able to explain this

In the TV show however

it's literally the stars going on and off for everyone to see and no one appears to give a shit. Yes, it's all over the news but it has literally 0 impact on basically anything. It's glossed over. And there's no other explanation for it than some fantastical godlike Siphons which are can-do-all things akin to... well... magic.

And that's part of the problem. The sophons are seemingly capable of anything. It's not clear what laws (of physics) they abide and which they don't. That makes it not only unrelatable but also unpredictable and story-wise makes it feel like a deus ex machina. They writers can do anything and file it away under "advanced technology" and that just feels weak for a TV series that portrays itself as being all about the science.

And if it wasn't bad enough with the mega-advanced tech, they have mankind pull tech out of their sleeves that clearly doesn't exist yet 2024 AD. No explanation of where it comes from or how it works. Suddenly mankind can do things of which I thought we had established they couldn't, but suddenly they can. This breaks my trust in the consistency of 3 body problem's world. I can no longer trust what I think I know that this the whole cardhouse collapses.

And then I haven't even talked about the inexplicable origins or intentions of certain individuals and parties involved. It's rarely clear why certain things happen as it's often alluded to it's part of some unseen bigger plan. That's straight out of the X-Files and Lost books of storytelling. And unfortunately, both series were terrible at tying it all together into a satisfying ending. I'm afraid 3 Body Problem will end up being the same.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-29-2024 10:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anybody watched the The Terminal List?
Chris Pratt & Navy Seals drama etc. Just watching on episode 1 and it seems interesting.....

EDIT: The 'flashbacks' help :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-03-2024 03:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was ok. I found it to be a little too much "America! Fuck yeah!"

I watched a blue eyed Ninja recently, enjoyed that a lot, Picard, on season 3 at the moment and I'm loving that.

I also watched One Piece and liked it! Reminded me of shows when I was a kid.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-04-2024 04:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Started on season 3 of Ozark.
Took me a while to pick this up after finishing S02. Very enjoyable series, although I feel 90% of its plot is due to people not properly talking with each other.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-11-2024 10:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Physical 100 on Netflix

"Who has the perfect body?"

Cue South Koren madness in a real life squid games-esque style thing, minus the death. Good easy watching.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-15-2024 02:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fallout

It’s good.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-16-2024 12:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The commercials I saw for Fallout give me the impression it's a bit of a comedy thing. I never played the games, but I didnt get the impression that the games were a comedy thing.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-16-2024 04:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The games are very funny, yes. But they're not completely comedy, and the same can be said for the show.

I enjoyed it, and was well-pleased with myself for spotting an easter egg I haven't seen anyone else mention:
the code for the cold fusion MacGuffin in the last episode was the first game's release date.

I also had my suspicions confirmed about the Brotherhood of Steel character, Maximus. Throughout, it felt like he was playing a low intelligence character. Bethesda have since added all of the show's main characters to their mobile game, Fallout Shelter, and yup, Maximus has a low intelligence score :D
The original Fallout was the first RPG to feature dialogue unique to low intelligence characters, and this felt like a subtle nod of acknowledgement.

I thought they did a cracking job overall with only a couple of minor things annoying me (such as the cars in the flashbacks being 40s/50s models, and not retro-futuristic ones.)

And I was most impressed that the showrunners have taken cues from all of the games, not just the Bethesda ones. I initially thought it was a bit cliche to open the story with another vault dweller exiting a vault (after the first, only the Bethesda games start that way), but then I realised that a lot of people watching will never have played the games.

I was also worried that Apple had kind of stolen Fallout's thunder with their excellent adaptation of Silo (the original author, Hugh Howey, acknowledged that he was heavily influenced by Fallout). But while they share a core central theme, they're completely different shows telling different stories.

Watch both, if you haven't already!

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-17-2024 05:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never watch TV shows or movies based on video games.

I watched the 3 body problem recently, kinda meh.

I DID watch the first episode of Fallout cause everyone is telling me to and I honestly didn't find it that interesting.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-17-2024 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
The commercials I saw for Fallout give me the impression it's a bit of a comedy thing. I never played the games, but I didnt get the impression that the games were a comedy thing.

I’ve played a lot of Fallout. The games are hilarious at times. And of course they’re dark because the nature of the setting.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-17-2024 12:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
The games are very funny, yes. But they're not completely comedy, and the same can be said for the show.

I enjoyed it, and was well-pleased with myself for spotting an easter egg I haven't seen anyone else mention:
the code for the cold fusion MacGuffin in the last episode was the first game's release date.

I also had my suspicions confirmed about the Brotherhood of Steel character, Maximus. Throughout, it felt like he was playing a low intelligence character. Bethesda have since added all of the show's main characters to their mobile game, Fallout Shelter, and yup, Maximus has a low intelligence score :D
The original Fallout was the first RPG to feature dialogue unique to low intelligence characters, and this felt like a subtle nod of acknowledgement.

I thought they did a cracking job overall with only a couple of minor things annoying me (such as the cars in the flashbacks being 40s/50s models, and not retro-futuristic ones.)

And I was most impressed that the showrunners have taken cues from all of the games, not just the Bethesda ones. I initially thought it was a bit cliche to open the story with another vault dweller exiting a vault (after the first, only the Bethesda games start that way), but then I realised that a lot of people watching will never have played the games.

I was also worried that Apple had kind of stolen Fallout's thunder with their excellent adaptation of Silo (the original author, Hugh Howey, acknowledged that he was heavily influenced by Fallout). But while they share a core central theme, they're completely different shows telling different stories.

I’m not through Season 1 yet, so I’ll avoid your spoiler Easter egg, but I’ll come back to it. There are Easter eggs and fan service in every scene! My wife I’m sure is tired of me pointing out everything.

I would imagine the cars not looking retro-futuristic was a budgetary decision. Most of the other aesthetics are spot on.

Todd Howard confirmed these events took place after New Vegas, so all the games remain canon, even NV.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 04-19-2024 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:

Never played any of the Fallout games but the show was quite good and had me interesting in more info. I'm on my second watch of the season and love all the little easter eggs.

Re: Silo, I feel like the start of Fallout is where Silo leaves off. Just silly coincidence but both shows have been quite good.

Walton Goggins is :!:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-19-2024 01:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just watched Rebel Moon Part 2, and I just want to know one thing:
Why do people keep giving Zack Snyder money to make films?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-19-2024 09:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just 3 episodes in of 8 watching 3 Body Problem and wonder where it is going :question:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.