Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Buried alive

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-24-2005 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:)

Paragon of Cruelty
Paragon of Cruelty
PostPosted: 05-24-2005 04:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Rehabilitation is bullshit. The percentage of inmates who get rehabilitated and proceed to stay out of trouble is so small it's laughable. Most end up committing the same crime again, if not a worse crime.

Live in prison is bullshit, too. It costs $60,000 to imprison a man per year. The death penalty is just a quick spike in the electrical bill.

Rehabilitation hasn't seriously been tried in this country yet.

Paragon of Cruelty
Paragon of Cruelty
PostPosted: 05-24-2005 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
Quick comment on free will, again.

People seem to talk past each other in argument when what they define as freedom and free will, sometimes differs. I admit that it's easier for me to conclude that no free will exists outright, but I'm not willing to do that until I've given more consideration to the reasonable arguments on both sides of this issue.

I guess maybe I don't understand the fundamental question here; to wit:

I believe I have free will in the sense that I can make the choice to either do or not do anything within the realm of possibility (for me). Right now, for example, I can choose whether or not to liquidate my assests, quit my job, and travel the world. I would say that scenario is pretty fucking unlikely, but only because I choose to continue living the way I do now. I hope my point comes across - while there may be influences working against any choice I make, and my choices may not lead to the desired outcomes, I still have the ability to excersize my will in any event.

Paragon of Cruelty
Paragon of Cruelty
PostPosted: 05-24-2005 05:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
Shmee wrote:
WTF is up with this "8-year-not young" shit? Do you mean 8 year-not young?

Jesus.

It'll come to you soon enough.

:icon19:

I don't visit for a paltry 4 days or so....

Better get reading....

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 01:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

old

edit: >:E

Last edited by Transient on 05-25-2005 01:10 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 01:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

old, homoos

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 01:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woot!

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 02:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trans, I think what you're overlooking is that our prisons SHOULD provide rehabilitation, not just ass-sex.
There was a film on PBS last night that I missed, but apparently was about an alternative means of dealing with offenders from the get go in Red Hook, NJ. There's a group of activists and a judge that have gotten together and started handing out sentences that include things like counseling and job training, so young offenders can be given an alternate path and not have a criminal record hanging around their necks.
While this is a positive step, I don't think that it directly applies to the type of dirtbag we've been discussing here. Although, the justice system DOES need to become more proactive in handling people that have a strong chance of moving on to more violent offenses.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 05:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know, I was halfway through a real long retort, but I've grown tired of this topic. I know where I stand, and you know where you stand. I don't think either of us will change our minds, but thanks for speaking yours. :up:

This is not where I intended my thread to go. :/

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 06:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but trans, you're just stubbornly saying that rehab doesn't work.

And you don't support this with any empirical, or theoretical backing.

Don't you think that your opinion might not be all that well founded?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 07:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think it's well-founded at all. You're right, it's all based on hearsay and what I think I remember. Hence why I'm not arguing anymore. :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 08:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*splutter* sonofaBITCH!

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.