Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        currently reading....

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: currently reading....

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-19-2009 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

from being lofty enough to greet Grudgey's eyebrows, would be my guess.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 01-19-2009 12:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The guy who wrote Daemon gave a talk last year, summary here. mp3 of talk.

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 01-19-2009 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, maybe it's unfair to judge a book based on the movie taste of a reviewer, but come on, the Matrix has to be one of the most overrated movies ever

it's not exactly bad, but it's not really that good either

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-20-2009 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell - Tucker Max.

So far so funny. :olo:

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 01-20-2009 07:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read NightWatch. I think it's highly overrated.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BUMP

Thought I'd see how everyone's reading lists have come along in the last year...
Since I last posted the books I can remember (off the top of my head) having read:

• 'Salem's Lot - Stephen King.. pretty good vampire book, but it didn't really add much to the Stoker myth. Enjoyable, anyway.
  • Dark Tower series - Stephen King... epic and rad. King has some troubles keeping his mythos in order, especially in the middle books, and LOTS of extraneous prose, but still some great ideas wrapped up in a great story.
  • Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder... Pure, useless shit.
  • Pride and Prejudice & Mansfield Park - Jane Austen... I admit I read Austen, just to see what the fuss was about. It turns out her stuff is really good. P&P was a bit uninspired, but it was witty and well written. Mansfield Park was fantastic though. Now I must eat some testosterone to regrow my testicles.
  • The Court of the Air - Stephen Hunt... I stopped halfway through this one. Some great ideas, but he has no skill in making them into a story. Too obtuse, overtly (and not insightfully) political, and he suffers from the "must invent new word for everything" disease. It sucked.
  • A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens... I had never read this before. I was hugely impressed. A really, really fantastic book.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 11:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Lost Symbol - just got it for my Birthday

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My reading tends to come in waves, and I've been in a bit of a downswing lately.

Aside from some studying, I've partially read two books:

The World Without Us - So far some really good research and a lot of interesting details picked out about what would happen to certain cities/areas if people disappeared. really interesting, and worth the read.

Why Evolution Is True - I just noticed this in the bookstore and decided to pick it up for some reason. More of preaching to the choir obviously, but there are a lot of details about the biology of certain animals (a lot on whales and humans) that I found very interesting. This is the only real reason I pick up books like this anymore: to learn things I didn't know before. And I'm hardly ever disappointed in that regard.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through both of them.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 01:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder if I should go to school for evolutionary biology. I'm such a nerd. =\

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

been reading the Hitchhiker series

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

90% through with Blackwater ... good book.
well researched, not opinionated, and super interesting if you like finding out about all the scary shit that went on largely ignored by the news.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 03:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On The Origin of Species, 1st edition

in my queue: The Selfish Gene and Raising Freethinkers

Knight of the Sad Countenance
Knight of the Sad Countenance
PostPosted: 10-12-2009 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just Finished..

The contortionists handbook.

http://www.amazon.ca/Contortionists-Han ... 1931561486

Fucking great book :up: Story about an identity thief/genius/drug addict. I highly recommend it. :up: :up:

Right now I'm reading:

" The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time "
http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Incident- ... 1400032717

Pretty cool so far.. written from the point of view of an autistic kid. Weird.. But I really like it.

A lot of people would say it's a bad idea, on your first day out of prison, to go right back to stalking the tranny hooker that knocked out five of your teeth. But that's how I roll..

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-13-2009 12:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, the book thread :)

Storm of Steel - Ernst Junger
The most brutally honest book on war i've ever read. Very interesting, in several ways. Will probably reread a couple of times.

Guns, Germs & Steel
Trying for the second time, last time i got halfway and put it down... got a little too dry and sciency for me. Bought it for my sister and she thought it was the shit, so now i feel obliged to reread it as well.

Better Than Sex: Confessions of a Political Junkie - Hunter S. Thompson
One of those books you can pick up, open anywhere, read a bit and laugh.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-13-2009 12:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just got finished re-reading Animal Farm. I forgot how depressing that book was...

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 10-13-2009 11:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mr.Sparkle! wrote:
I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell - Tucker Max.

So far so funny. :olo:

Read it last year, fucking hilarious.

I've read over the last year
Anathem - Neal Stephenson
The Algebraist - Iain M. Banks
Shooter: Autobiography Of A Top-Ranked Marine Sniper - Jack Coughlin
Generation Kill - Evan Wright
Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

Reading:
Chesty: The Story Of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller - Jon T. Hoffman
Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon
Men Of Mathematics - E.T. Bell
Dr. Euler's Fabulous Formula: Cures Many Mathmatical Ills - Paul J. Nahin
The Blue Cliff Record - Thomas and JC Cleary
Matter - Iain M. Banks

Forgotten a couple others I'm sure. My nightstand has about 12 books on it at any given time.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-13-2009 06:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Ah, the book thread :)

Storm of Steel - Ernst Junger
The most brutally honest book on war i've ever read. Very interesting, in several ways. Will probably reread a couple of times.

there's one you don't see often. he was a bit of a nazi back in the day, but the book is supposed to be good.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-14-2009 12:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hear Dawkins has a new book. comments thoughts etc?

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 10-14-2009 02:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ read rook's post a few up

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-14-2009 02:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh. i skimmed over it :clownboat:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-14-2009 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
there's one you don't see often. he was a bit of a nazi back in the day, but the book is supposed to be good.

Haha yes, it was also a bitch to find... thank the gods for the interweb.
Been reading a lot of stuff about WW1 lately, and his name kept popping up in other books. By far the most revealing eyewitness account i've read on the subject... and by now i've read a good number of them :)

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-14-2009 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Just started Going Postal :)

Been meaning to get my hands on that, Mark Ames ftw!
What do you think about it so far..?

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-14-2009 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
^ read rook's post a few up

Why Evolution is True is by Jerry Coyne.

I've been considering picking up Dawkins' new one too though (The Greatest Show on Earth), just because he's got such a great gift for describing things in a way that's easy to understand and still awe-inspiring.

I think the first few chapters of The Selfish Gene are still the best bit I've ever read on evolution and biology.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-14-2009 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-14-2009 03:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm on a Dostoyevsky binge at the moment.
Started with The Brothers Karamazov, am currently reading Crime & Punishment, and The Idiot's next.
Fantastic books, and incredibly interesting from an historical perspective too.
Crime & Punishment in particular is startling considering when it was written.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-14-2009 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Ordered Without Buddha I Could not be a Christian by Paul Knitter.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-15-2009 12:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thought I'd grab this off the shelf again ..

Heavy going most of the time, even for me :smirk:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-15-2009 04:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Memphis wrote:
Just started Going Postal :)

Been meaning to get my hands on that, Mark Ames ftw!
What do you think about it so far..?

Going Postal is one of the funniest books in the series if you ask me. It's the only book I read out of the order of releases. So far I've read everything up to Thief of Time (which I'm reading now), although I did read the three Tiffany Aching books (The Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith) as well. Terry Pratchett is a genius.

Memphis wrote:
Duma Key i enjoyed thoroughly

I read that and it left me a bit disappointed. While it was very easy to read, the book never got really scary or tense like I would expect from Stephen King. It worked to build up this uncomfortable atmosphere but it just got stuck there. It could've been much more intense than it was.

werldhed wrote:

You are kidding me right? That book is absolutely brilliantly written. It is aimed at children though, so the writing style might have put you off but I think it's a fantastic way to introduce people to the different philosophers through history.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-15-2009 05:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Going Postal is one of the funniest books in the series if you ask me. It's the only book I read out of the order of releases. So far I've read everything up to Thief of Time (which I'm reading now), although I did read the three Tiffany Aching books (The Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith) as well. Terry Pratchett is a genius.

Oh i see, different book... same title. I meant this one, from that guy from exiledonline.com:

http://www.abebooks.com/docs/authors-co ... ames.shtml

I only ever read the first book in the disc world series, didn't really draw me in at the time :paranoid:

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 10-15-2009 05:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
werldhed wrote:

You are kidding me right? That book is absolutely brilliantly written. It is aimed at children though, so the writing style might have put you off but I think it's a fantastic way to introduce people to the different philosophers through history.

I know it was aimed at kids/young adults, so I took that into consideration. Also, I read a translated version, so I assume a lot of the bad writing was due to the translator.
Still, it was pointless, preachy, lacked any real insight, and was written like a textbook. If I wanted to introduce my kids to philosophy, I'd just teach them myself. Learning about philosophers alone is interesting, without all the useless "mystery" story.
He overreached with the book. I get the impression he thought, "look how clever I can be with this" and ended up just being obtuse and bland. I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-15-2009 05:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Oh i see, different book... same title. I meant this one, from that guy from exiledonline.com:

http://www.abebooks.com/docs/authors-co ... ames.shtml

I only ever read the first book in the disc world series, didn't really draw me in at the time :paranoid:

lol, ok. Well Memphis was talking about the Discworld series...
The first book in the series is arguably one of the weakest to be honest.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-30-2011 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pronto by elmore leonard

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-30-2011 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the bridge trilogy by william gibson

good shit

also, olde threade

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-30-2011 09:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pale Blue Dot - Carl Sagan

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-30-2011 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Céline - Journy to the end of the night

Bukowski - Women

Bukowski - Hollywood

All tragic yet funny :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.