Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Xbox one thread

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Xbox one thread

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 11-23-2013 06:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain, I hear this might be good for the Xbox one until they refine the dash

http://www.skifta.com

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-23-2013 11:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trying tv through again.

But pissed its not pass through, I.e. You can't turn the xbox off, you must have it on.

Shaft, have you noticed any lag/staggering/juddering on HD channels?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-23-2013 11:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh lol. 7/5.1 isn't passed through to the xbox one from your stb. Great.

I notice there's a beta option for surround.

Edit: that works. Slight delay sorted out by a/v settings on the receiver.
However the power on command doesn't send for long enough to turn the tv back on.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-23-2013 03:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it also doesnt pass in lowpower mode? or standby or whatever it's called.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope. When you say xbox off, pass thought stops. Rubbish.

I've also noticed the power brick runs in off mode. Mine has a slight ticking sound from the fan.

Unless the stb support turns it around, do not want.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 02:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More fun. Bf4 saved game, it gone.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Serious question: why aren't you taking it back for a refund and saying "fuck consoles until they get their shit together"? You don't HAVE TO use it right away and you can probably wait a few months until they fix everything (if they ever do). Or perhaps after 6 months of horrible press you'll realize you actually don't want the thing? Or that you don't want it because it's a POS?

You're like a battered wife who refuses to leave their abusive husband and keeps going back for more beatings.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 06:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not spending thousands on a PC just to play games. That's the honest truth, but I take your point.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
I'm not spending thousands on a PC just to play games. That's the honest truth, but I take your point.

Well...you won't need to spend thousands to get a decent gaming PC, but to each his own.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can't reason a console gamer to get on a PC...there are some obvious differences from one experience to the next that attract one to another. and also vice versa.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 06:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You lot don't have kids

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah but...weren't your kids just born? I doubt a 3 month-old even knows how to hold a controller, let alone beat Dark Souls with it.

Admit it, you bought if for the biggest kid in your house...you. :p

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 07:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's 19 months and knows the fucking white logo turns it off and on......

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now you're fucked. :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 10:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
You lot don't have kids

I do, two of them. I'll tell you that a console is actually quite shit when you have kids. At least, when it's located in the living room. Picture yourself playing Battlefield 4 or some other M rated game on your 50" television with Dolby Surround sound and then having your kid be there while you decapitate another poor fucker with a shotgun blast to the face. Yeah, great parenting.

You could say the same about PC gaming, but a PC is a much more private affair. It's usually located in another room and even when not, it's often set up in a more private location in the room.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 10:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or you could just not play when your kids are around.
Distancing yourself to play Battlefield in your private pc room whilst the kids are awake.. great parenting indeed.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 11:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Or you could just not play when your kids are around.

Which makes the whole "i have kids" argument Doombrain came with a moot one, no?
MKJ wrote:
Distancing yourself to play Battlefield in your private pc room whilst the kids are awake.. great parenting indeed.

[/quote]
There's nothing wrong with a little "me time" from time to time, assuming there's still supervision for your kids around of course (the gf/wife). Besides, I do most of my gaming (even non violent ones) on my laptop while sitting in the livingroom and I can do that while my daughter is sitting 3 feet away from me playing with her toys without her even being remotely aware of what's there on my screen.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 11:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Relax, we had shit like this

and

and before you say 'but, but, 18 only'

:D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 06:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, more xbox troubles:

Quote:
The Xbox One's TV integration suffers noticeable judder in the UK, tests have revealed.

The UK and Europe use a 50Hz broadcasting system. The Xbox One outputs at 60Hz, so if you feed it a 50Hz HDMI source, one out of every six frames will be a duplicate, resulting in noticeable judder on a lot of material - scrolling text on news channels, fast pans in TV and movies, and the left to right sweep of the camera in football matches."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... dder-in-uk

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 06:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what I've seen so turned it off.

Also what mkj said. Spend time with your kids, not playing games....

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 06:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Also what mkj said. Spend time with your kids, not playing games....

Says the guy who's just bought an Xbox One. WTF guys.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 07:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

for fucks sake. you'd think they wouldve tackled this when they went for a scaled down (read: only 23 countries) worldwide release.

what mongs.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
There's nothing wrong with a little "me time" from time to time..

Man you sound like a shitty parent...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
for fucks sake. you'd think they wouldve tackled this when they went for a scaled down (read: only 23 countries) worldwide release.

what mongs.

I'm just going to repeat myself here and you guys can agree or not...but I still think Microshit did NOT have a console ready BEFORE Sony announced theirs. I had this same argument with several people at work when MS announced the XBone and not a single person I spoke with would admit that it seemed like MS didn't think things through or even have a working prototype at the time of their announcement.

From all the broken, poorly-thought-out crap I've seen this launch, it has only strengthened my opinion that they didn't have a damned thing ready and, as I suspected at the time, had no intention of creating a new console (one without backwards compatibility) and losing their massive install base on the XBox 360. The XBone was clearly thrown together at the last minute and their obvious lack of forethought is strong proof. I mean seriously, is there anyone among us (or someone tech-minded that you know personally) that CAN'T throw together a console idea with existing parts (PC, PVR, motion-tracking) in a few hours or less? No? Of course we can. It's easy and we all know how easy it is.

MS is milking you gullible fuckers and I refuse to stop laughing at you. :up:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 08:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Microsoft will be out of business shortly...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 08:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm thinking PS4 atm.
Xbone might be worth it once they get their shit together, but that prolly won't be for another year.

how much they did right with the 360 is how much they are doing wrong with the One.
based on reviews and usecases obviously, I haven't used one myself.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kinect... Windows 8.... same thing...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
MS is milking you gullible fuckers and I refuse to stop laughing at you. :up:

Funny maybe, but still a sorry state of affairs when marketing mooks have grown-ass adults making the purchasing choices of teenagers.

We both know who to blame for this. :sly:

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 08:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I'm just going to repeat myself here and you guys can agree or not...but I still think Microshit did NOT have a console ready BEFORE Sony announced theirs

Sounds logical to me. I'd say they probably had a small team working on it, but Sony forced their timeline to move up. It definitely doesn't feel like they planned to release a new console this year.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exactly. They announced their console simply because Sony did, and they were forced to stay relevant, so they had to develop a next-gen system.

I have no doubt Sony would have done the exact same if the roles were reversed.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
they needed something new, improved and simply didn't have it. All they're selling now is a glorified GPU/RAM upgrade. A crap one at that and years overdue.

This is why we can't have nice things

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 10:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seeing how they have about 100 titles still in the pipe for the 360 I don't think forced obsolescence is what's going on.
They're not Apple :)

Rumours of a new Box have been floating about for over a year now. It's not like they started from scratch when Sony talked about the PS4, but it certainly forced them into rush mode. This can be seen in the total beta state of most of the services. The menu even states Digital Sound is a beta option. That means zero to the average user and is fucking disgraceful for a full fledged product, a $500 one at that.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 10:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PS3 launch wasn't much better mind. And that turned out well eventually.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Seeing how they have about 100 titles still in the pipe for the 360 I don't think forced obsolescence is what's going on.
They're not Apple :)

Forced by the market, forced by Sony and forced by bored frat-boys who'd no doubt complain their NFL game looks bad compared to the PS4 version.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
This be a whole other sack of shit though. For reference - The top 10 Xbone games of all time.

lol

Took the words right out my mouth.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.