Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Xbox thread

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Xbox thread

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 08:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 09:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

XBOX ONE

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So no price or release date and only some vague specs... Bullshit.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Event isn't over yet genius. Sony didn't give a solid date either remember.

In other news, EA's true reason for discontinuing their Online Pass strategy has been revealed: Xbox One has this out of the box.
http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-alway ... -509077987

No always online though, so that's something.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So new Xbox is already a failure?...high...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Need more info which I'm sure we will get at E3

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

In other news, EA's true reason for discontinuing their Online Pass strategy has been revealed: Xbox One has this out of the box.

called it:
Eraser wrote:
Most likely because they've got something even worse to replace it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So PC wins again, right?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't understand this blocking of used games. The reason they're giving is that games require installation and that they don't want people passing discs around. Ergo you need to pay a fee to activate your installation.
Fine, but that's how it is now but without the fee. I can't just install my game everywhere, it's tied to my account and needs the physical disc in the drive.
Makes no sense other than squeezing money out of the consumer.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
:applause:

and 500gb. lol. textures set to medium then instead of low. enjoy, console toy people.

Your CoD install is over half a tera? How many blurays were in the box?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Makes no sense other than squeezing money out of the consumer.

I think you already found the "sense" in it. It's too obvious.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Which makes it doubly depraved

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

It was over by the time I posted that image. Didn't follow the Sony reveal.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoopdee-fucking-doo. :down:

As someone who years ago abandoned even the thought of buying a console, this next generation of consoles (including the PS4 and Wii-U) is the most disappointing roll-out I've seen yet, and in no way whatsoever convinces me to buy one.

In fact, this "big announcement" was so underwhelming that Sony's stock price jumped after the XBox was revealed.

Quote:
Xbox One has just been announced by Microsoft but it seems most of the world wasn't that impressed.

After a conference that focused largely on the entertainment capabilities of the console - and only a handful of games were named - many gamers, ourselves included, were left feeling a little cold.

As a result Sony's share price is rising - quite sharply - hovering around an increase of 9% at the time of writing.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shut up and take my money

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
shut up and take my money

baaaaaa-aaaah

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol it looks like a fucking cable box.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'll use it no more than two hours a week for gaming if that.

i'm buying it for the entertainment system side. what MS have done with that side of xbox live is fantastic and there's no way the japs at sony understand how to beat it. for them it's all about games with huge electric swords, blue hair and incomprehensible story lines.

you can calm down now hater.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
lol it looks like a fucking cable box.

yep, looks big as well.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
i'll use it no more than two hours a week for gaming if that.

i'm buying it for the entertainment system side. what MS have done with that side of xbox live is fantastic and there's no way the japs at sony understand how to beat it. for them it's all about games with huge electric swords, blue hair and incomprehensible story lines.

you can calm down now hater.

Same. Just hinges on the specifics on how you actually tie into cable TV and your downloaded media. Something tells me you have to use an app from the your cable provider and then what about the DVR?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's a console

/thread

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
Same. Just hinges on the specifics on how you actually tie into cable TV and your downloaded media. Something tells me you have to use an app from the your cable provider and then what about the DVR?

I'm guessing it's some XML used in the EPG? MS will have to work with the likes of Tivo an TV service providers to make the handshake work.

I have access to Sky sports on my xbox, i spend a lot of time watching it but also have tivo and i have to switch over on the receiver. having it all linked is a great idea but i wonder how on demand and recorded shows will work unless there's a 'total' pass though mode.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
bitWISE wrote:

I'm guessing it's some XML used in the EPG? MS will have to work with the likes of Tivo an TV service providers to make the handshake work.

I have access to Sky sports on my xbox, i spend a lot of time watching it but also have tivo and i have to switch over on the receiver. having it all linked is a great idea but i wonder how on demand and recorded shows will work unless there's a 'total' pass though mode.

I'm doing "all in one" right now on the 360 using my PC as the digital DVR/Tuner and the xbox as a media center extender (I'm just lacking on demand support due to my cablecard). The guide for One is very similar to what you get in media center and that data is just downloaded from the web based on region and provider.

It could be setup to plug your DVR into the HDMI port and then use HDMI link to control the DVR remotely, but that wouldn't be as fast as they are showing.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
:applause:

and 500gb. lol. textures set to medium then instead of low. enjoy, console toy people.

that's what USB 3.0 is for

Quote:
Hard drives in the Xbox One are non-user-serviceable, but Penello confirmed that the USB 3.0 port is there for external storage, which can be used for everything the internal storage can be used for. That includes game installs and downloads. So, don't fret: adding storage will be just as easy as ever.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Specs obviously will always be lagging behind PC's, but every year the PC gaming section seems to get smaller and smaller.
Is this trend going to reverse? If so, I'd gladly build another PC for games - but as it stands now, I'll take lower resolution textures and other drawbacks for more titles.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We have obviously touched a nerve here. I don't spend much time searching around for PC games that aren't on consoles, so I wouldn't know. The knock on the consoles was that their performance was lacking, and I see the number of cutting edge titles that really push the PC to its limits going down each year - that's all I was saying.

I guess the bigger question is why does anyone care if people prefer to use consoles or PCs for games?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, you're trying to rationalize with these PC extremists...

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watch out console pleb, you don't want to cross the PC Gamer Master Race.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got that nerve so good that he's a dribbling mess of agony. The console market mainly consists of CoD, CoD and fucking CoD, they're like daily mail readers. Too stupid to know any better.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 08:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It'd be better if they had dropped the number completly, iPad style.

Anyway, this thing right now is terrible. Writeup by kotaku.com:
http://kotaku.com/that-xbox-one-reveal- ... -509192266

One of the commenters aptly calls it a US only device

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Xbox One is the laziest, stupidest fucking name for anything ever. Who'd have thought the boardroom idiots obsessed with rebooting everything would get as far as the consoles themselves. Lol?

Really? No worse than the PS4 and The New iPad, surely?
Well the nextbox is actually quite underwhelming so far; we need more game news.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From MKJ's link:

[ http://kotaku.com/that-xbox-one-reveal- ... -509192266 ]

Quote:
Mandatory Kinect usage is also a little disturbing. The camera is listening out for you even when it's "off" (it's never really off), and while Microsoft has issued a statement saying it has "strong privacy protections" in place, people are still rightly concerned that a machine -connected to the internet and featuring a camera which is always listening - might be a problem.

:!:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Xbox One is the laziest, stupidest fucking name for anything ever. Who'd have thought the boardroom idiots obsessed with rebooting everything would get as far as the consoles themselves. Lol?

More like boredroom, amirite? lololol

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

> keeps on bringing up PC's graphical superiority
> 'There are plenty of PC games that aren't shiny graphical whizzbang new.'

please pick one or the other.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-22-2013 12:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck me, this looks atrocious.
Plenty of idiots will still buy this crock of shite mind you. After all, there's plenty of Stockholm dumbfucks out there happy to pay for Xbox Live.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.