Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Just brought a new phone, any good...?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Just brought a new phone, any good...?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the look of these, and I've had a little play around with it as well. Its got Java on, MP3, video messaging, Multimedia messages, Text messages, and of course, calling people.

Does anybody here know what they are like? Any good? Yes or no? Its a bit late now like, I already ordered it, lol. But from what I gathered it rocked while playing with it, a lot better than my HUUUUUGE Nokia 3300.

Anyways, the make is the Samsung D500. It has Java, like I said, so is there any cool little things I can do with these, such as games, or skinning the menu? Or am i just going to be stuck with shitty little slow pinball games for the next year?

From Site:

Features

Experience the dynamic 96 MB memory, 1.3-megapixel camera, 262,144-colour TFT-LCD display, MP3 player, 64 polyphonic ring tones and Bluetooth in a phone of highest class and quality.

96 MB dynamic memory all the space you need

With its dynamic 96 MB, the D500 has the capacity to save, send and receive your data. You can either save up to 1,000 one-megapixel pictures, or up to 60 minutes of video/speech recording, or up to 20 MP3 songs.

Perfect connectivity for successful business

Synchronize your data with the D500 in seconds. Bluetooth, USB and SyncML DS make it easy to connect to other phones, PDAs, laptops, PCs, printers and, of course, to Samsungs Bluetooth accessories, and to exchange data, pictures and video clips.

The mobile phone for every situation

With the D500 e-mail client, you can take your office with you everywhere you go. The 1.3-megapixel camera with an LED flash takes brilliant pictures and video clips that are great to watch on the incredible 262,144-colour TFT-LCD display.

Samsung Bluetooth accessories set your hands free

With the Bluetooth headset and the Bluetooth car kit from Samsung, you can have both hands free, making talking effortless and enabling you to stay connected anywhere, any time, and in any situation.

Specifications

Platform
- Tri Band (GSM 900 + 1800 + 1900 MHz)

Camera
- 1,3 Megapixel (1280 x 1024)
- Flash light
- Fullscreen Camera viewfinder
- Digital zoom
- Photo Effects & Frames
- Multishot (up to 15 pictures)
- Timer functionality

Camcoder
- Video recording (up to 60 min)
- Video player

MP3 Player & Ring tones
- MP3 Player (MP3/AAC)
- 64 polyphonic & MP3 ring tones
- 45 embedded tones

Messaging and Data transfer
- MMS, EMS, SMS (with learning T9)
- Video Messaging (H.263 / MPEG4, QCIF)
- GPRS Class 10 (2 Upload, 4 Download)
- WAP 2.0
- E-Mail Client (POP3, IMAP4, SMTP)
- Bluetooth
- SyncML
- USB
- IrDA

Personal Information Management
- Calendar
- Organizer
- Clock / Worldtime
- Alarm (once/daily/weekly)
- Currency converter
- Calculator
- Memo book
- Stoppwatch
- Count down timer

Call functions / management
- Phonebook (max 1000 entries)
- Caller Line Identification (CLI)
- Call forwarding/barring/waiting/holding
- Multy party
- Handsfree speaker
- Dialed/missed/received calls
- Call time/costs

Memory
- 128 MB total memory / 96 MB User memory
- 4 MB for Java¢â
- 400 calendar entries, 50 memos
- 200 SMS

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a Moto Razr V3....no clue about yours.

PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got one, they're ok. Headphones are a piece of shit, and sound quality for the mp3 player is unlistenable. SMS is really akward if you used nokia before, but the camera is good, and the screen is bright. Plus the attachable loudspeaker is good for nightclubs, you just stick that in and hold the phone to your ear like you normally would, it really makes a difference.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the resolution on the screen is unbearable. just look the terrible graphics!

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sys0p wrote:
I've got one, they're ok. Headphones are a piece of shit, and sound quality for the mp3 player is unlistenable. SMS is really akward if you used nokia before, but the camera is good, and the screen is bright. Plus the attachable loudspeaker is good for nightclubs, you just stick that in and hold the phone to your ear like you normally would, it really makes a difference.

In what way is texting different? I was just thinking about that one, I can text as fast if not faster than i can type on a keyboard now. I knew it was going to be a bitch because of the jump from the shape of the phone, but is it still predictive texting?

EDIT: Oh and sys0p, does the phone come with any sort of PC to Hpone sort of cable? My Nokia did seeing as it was a music phone. Or will I have to cash out on one of those too? Its strange, a bluetooth dongle is cheaper than a USB wire :|

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
the resolution on the screen is unbearable. just look the terrible graphics!

Yea, I think I see some z-fighting in there, and that's got to be the shittiest looking low-poly weasel in the history of portable electronics.
JESUS WHY WOULD ANYBODY BUY THIS PIECE OF SHIT!@#$

lol

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That would be funny, if it wasn't for the fact it was 3 years old and the phone has the best screen on the market in its genre ;)

BTW sys0p, no matter about the phone cable, i just looked and i don't get one, but i do get some weird ass speaker, whats that about? lol... But I still would like to know how texting is different, or is it just the shape? TIA.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that doesn't matter, i just enjoyed doing it. :icon19:

PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
sys0p wrote:

In what way is texting different? I was just thinking about that one, I can text as fast if not faster than i can type on a keyboard now. I knew it was going to be a bitch because of the jump from the shape of the phone, but is it still predictive texting?

EDIT: Oh and sys0p, does the phone come with any sort of PC to Hpone sort of cable? My Nokia did seeing as it was a music phone. Or will I have to cash out on one of those too? Its strange, a bluetooth dongle is cheaper than a USB wire :|

The spacebar is #. and you cycle through words/letters by pressing 0. Also, it doesn't always default to t9, and it never capitalizes the first letter of a new sentence.

No cable, just bluetooth transfer, which is fucking slow. Fastest I've seen it run is 40kb/s.. average is something terrible like 4-5kb/s...

Oh, and the battery is pretty good, as long as you don't do ANYTHING with the phone. If you even look at it, it'll need recharging.

PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
That would be funny, if it wasn't for the fact it was 3 years old and the phone has the best screen on the market in its genre ;)

BTW sys0p, no matter about the phone cable, i just looked and i don't get one, but i do get some weird ass speaker, whats that about? lol... But I still would like to know how texting is different, or is it just the shape? TIA.

The speaker is well good.. PLug it straight in the phone and it makes it 3 times as loud. I use it when I'm in clubs, or if i'm driving in the car and I don't want to use the shitty handsfree

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ha, battery life that good huh? Must be taking lessons from Sony PSP :D

I charge my phone every night, and i hardly use it while out. I think i'll deal.

talk time 6.5 hours
standby 12.5 days

Doesn't seem that bad. I wont be on it that much :)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice. Thanks for the info sys.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 03:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, one last thing. Can I get any good games for it?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.