Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Quake3 PS2?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake3 PS2?

get ready for the sucker punch!
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I been thinkin about getting it just for the hell of it. is it coo? does it compare to the pc one at all or is it totally different? wussup with it?

PostPosted: 02-28-2005 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

damn. hmmmm, ok. i touch that.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

joypads teh LOOSE

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

remember when microsoft tried to push this gamepad that had some 2d angle in the middle as an alternate fps controlling device? :icon19:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 11:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can plug a normal USB Keyboard and mouse into the PS2. Half Life and UT Support it, dunno about Q3, but probably.

PostPosted: 02-28-2005 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
You can plug a normal USB Keyboard and mouse into the PS2. Half Life and UT Support it, dunno about Q3, but probably.

that's the kill!!! thanks foo!

PostPosted: 02-28-2005 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Foo wrote:

not for 4 players though surely?

4 player livingroom quake is the only reason I'd consider buying a ps2

is the online cool on the ps2? does anyone know?

or unreal, is the unreal online ps2 dope???

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 12:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The online on a PS2 is pure shite.

Get Q3 just for the SP, it beats the shit out of Quake 3 PC any day.

PostPosted: 02-28-2005 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
The online on a PS2 is pure shite.

Get Q3 just for the SP, it beats the shit out of Quake 3 PC any day.

cool. thanks mang, imma get it :icon14:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 12:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Foo wrote:

not for 4 players though surely?

4 player livingroom quake is the only reason I'd consider buying a ps2

PS2 supports hubs.

Well, games can.. again, it's gotta be part of the game.

I was gutted when it turned out my wheel couldn't be used with San Andreas... Just because they didn't build in any form of USB support for it.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

here - i found an immage of the gamepad i was talking of before.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 01:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'bentpad'

KITTY!!
KITTY!!
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 01:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My brother got the game for the PS2. I found it cool...for about 5 mins.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 02:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gotta love the "EA" logo on the front of the Q3 box

PostPosted: 02-28-2005 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did ID sell the rights for the game to EA?

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 03:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah you use a joypad but it's still fun to play through the singleplayer campaign once or twice. And yes, it's much more like an actual campaign in the ps2 Quake 3 than it was on the pc, because the porters were smart and knew most people would only be able to play it by themselves.

Basically when you start the campaign you can chose from about 5 different player models. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages. You move from fight to fight, and tier to tier, though you have no choice in which fight you do first in a tier. Every time you move on to a higher tier, you get a cooler looking skin as well as increased stats. The final tier is the boss of the arena. The boss fight in ps2 quake3 is alot more fun than the one on the pc :)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
o'dium wrote:
Gotta love the "EA" logo on the front of the Q3 box

Not really. I love the Activision one

As do I. Its just some kind of twisted horrid box, where you have Quake and then "EA" under it...

*shudders*

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

eepberries wrote:
Yeah you use a joypad but it's still fun to play through the singleplayer campaign once or twice. And yes, it's much more like an actual campaign in the ps2 Quake 3 than it was on the pc, because the porters were smart and knew most people would only be able to play it by themselves.

Basically when you start the campaign you can chose from about 5 different player models. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages. You move from fight to fight, and tier to tier, though you have no choice in which fight you do first in a tier. Every time you move on to a higher tier, you get a cooler looking skin as well as increased stats. The final tier is the boss of the arena. The boss fight in ps2 quake3 is alot more fun than the one on the pc :)

How is it better to use one model as opposed to another? Do you get to upgrade 'hitpoints' or summat? :shrug:

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
How is it better to use one model as opposed to another? Do you get to upgrade 'hitpoints' or summat? :shrug:

The different players you can choose from have different stats like speed, damage, health, etc. Overall it doesn't really affect gameplay too much, but it lets you chose a player that's better suited to your style.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh just something I came across... I've noticed you like the older id games more, yet I haven't seen you play Generations Arena on the weekends or any time... thought it would be right up your alley. :p

I mostly play as the strogger, and manage to do a pretty good job of owning the others, esp. with the super-shottie/rail combo. :D

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a little extra something eep never mentioned. "YOU" upgrade your guy, not the computer. So yo uget stat points, and YOU choose where they go. Armor, speed, ammo etc etc etc...

Its a lot better than the VQ3 game id shipped.

PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like playing fps games with a gamepad. I'm not in any way saying a gamepad is better than a mouse and keyboard but they aren't that bad either and if the game is good it makes for a fun game session as opposed to being seated at your pc which I find uncomfortable.

I should note though that the only controler I find fun playing fps games is the Xbox controller the ps2 controller is complete crap imho.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree. I only ever used the PS2/1 controller for Quake 2, and that involved using l1/r1 to look up/down, lol.

X-box pad, im fine with. Love it.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The new controller maybe. The original xbox pad is a fucking monstrosity. :p

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Heh just something I came across... I've noticed you like the older id games more, yet I haven't seen you play Generations Arena on the weekends or any time... thought it would be right up your alley. :p

I mostly play as the strogger, and manage to do a pretty good job of owning the others, esp. with the super-shottie/rail combo. :D

Are you talking to me? If so, well, If I wanted to play a quake2 styled game, I would just play quake2 (which I do) :)

I might try out Generations someday though, but I don't know. I'm skeptical.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not just Q2 though... it's really fun chasing down a Doomer with a strogger and shit. :D

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 06:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meh I think I spend enough time playing Vortex Quake2 :paranoid:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 12:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

halo proved that fps' are more than playable on consoles with 2 analogs (at least for me). never played q3 on the ps2 though, but i know its not te same as the pc version.. it has a skill system and crap like that, and i bet the speed is less hectic as its pc counterpart.

so indeed, i'd play it "just for the hell of it", not to kick some online ass - dont think it even has an online mode to be honest

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
I agree. I only ever used the PS2/1 controller for Quake 2, and that involved using l1/r1 to look up/down, lol.

X-box pad, im fine with. Love it.

yea. that has to do with the control scheme, not the controller. kthx :dork:

Back & Forth
Back & Forth
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 12:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i thought quake3 for the ps2 was pretty week, bad level design, i didnt enjoy the whole "boss thing" and the stat management felt out of place, but its like $15 these days, and for that price its worth it.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/468044.asp?q=quake%203

Back & Forth
Back & Forth
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 12:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh, and also if i remember correctly, it has afew "EA" extras in it, like the demon bloke from dungeon keeper is a playable character.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 02:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
There is a little extra something eep never mentioned. "YOU" upgrade your guy, not the computer. So yo uget stat points, and YOU choose where they go. Armor, speed, ammo etc etc etc...

:icon27: :icon27: :icon27:

Yeah, and in regular quake 3 you start out as a n00b and improve your "stats" by better timing, learning to straffle, etc. Christ you can be a nerd sometimes.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 04:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geebs wrote:
o'dium wrote:

:icon27: :icon27: :icon27:

Yeah, and in regular quake 3 you start out as a n00b and improve your "stats" by better timing, learning to straffle, etc. Christ you can be a nerd sometimes.

Sorry to break this to you, but thats the game id had planned in the first place. A class based game.

Fucking hell no need to cry at me, i didn't make the game. I'm simply saying its better than the POS that was Q3. If i wanted to improve myself in that regard, your way, I would just play Instant Action or online.

Fucking newb...

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fantastic, do you need a D20 to play it?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.