Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Guild Wars Beta Weekend

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have just been informed that the dutch pre-order is up :icon25:

Never give up!
Never give up!
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 03:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This time around ill make it, no matter what. Seen the game when I was at bodomchild's place, and it looked great.

I can pre-order the game at a internet store(http://www.dynabyte.nl, for the dutchees), I just dont know if ill get the acces key before the release.
I e-mailed them about that, still waiting for a reply.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OverRide wrote:
This time around ill make it, no matter what. Seen the game when I was at bodomchild's place, and it looked great.

I can pre-order the game at a internet store(http://www.dynabyte.nl, for the dutchees), I just dont know if ill get the acces key before the release.
I e-mailed them about that, still waiting for a reply.

*cough* just ask.. ill dig one out

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 03:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

soap :o could you get me a key?
override already has a friend key xD

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 03:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bodomchild wrote:
soap :o could you get me a key?
override already has a friend key xD

if he says he dont need it, then sure.. wait who are you..

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 03:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nobody :paranoid:

Never give up!
Never give up!
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 03:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For this beta weekend I dont need a key, by the time the next beta weekend starts ill hope i have my pre-order. So i dont need the key :)

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 06:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got a busy weekend coming up. I'll be playing, but probably not too much. A couple hours each night, EST.

Check out the avatars on my forum. You'll have to register to see them, though.
http://www.fender.net/forums

Never give up!
Never give up!
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 08:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice dude, you got a zip file of all those avatars? :o

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I've got my DS to tide me over 'til Friday, but otherwise, can't wait!

Heh, you finally got my PM from the 18th? :o

I'm now relying on Beyond Good & Evil to tide me over.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 12:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I need that key again if I'm going to play this coming weekend. Seg, is that key still good? I've still got the PM with the key in it, but I don't want to use it unless it's still up for grabs.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 05:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bump to see who's taking part this weekend...
I shall be logging in at the earliest possible opportunity.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Far as i know, nobody used the key. I passed it to Memphis also. So, you two can fight over it...

I'll be playing again this weekend.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was using a Gamespy key for the last weekend, and now it doesn't work. What's up with that?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Gamespy keys were only good for one weekend. Now, your only chance to play is to get someone who has pre-ordered to give you their "Friend" key, or to buy the pre-order yourself.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 11:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was hoping they'd open it an hour early after the hour delay last time. No luck :(

About an hour more to go then.

edit: I started the client early to cache the new content (it's about 24 MB worth).

edit2: An early Fansite Friday for this month's BEW. Looks promising to say the least.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 11:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, same here.
Got the client running in the background right now.

Edit:
Oh wow, that ability to change secondary class after Ascension kicks arse.
Gotta love the customisation options in GW :D

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gaile Gray wrote:
The only time we're giving these days is "morning of" for the BWE's. The only exact time we're giving is 12:01 a.m. on April 27th, for those who have a preorder. Honestly, we're not giving an minute or even an hour for the BWE's to start. We'll get things moving shortly, but please don't start on about being "late" when we haven't set a time!

:mad:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know, positively maddening, isn't it?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye, but:

Gaile Gray wrote:
We're nearly there!
We're just uploading the event files, and the doors should open very soon!

See you there!

edit: It's up!!

Never give up!
Never give up!
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Weee, no crash this time :D

now i just have to download 2700 files before i can play

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 05:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn work. :mad:
See you all tonight.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So my experiences so far:
It's a beautiful game, really stunning. I found myself really appreciating the detail they put into the flora and fauna while I was running around. It really looked like autumn. Not to mention the chicks are fucking hawt. I almost played an Elementalist just to look at the boobies. :drool:

Unfortunately, it really doesn't seem to set itself apart from every other medieval fantasy MMORPG out there. At least in the early levels. I found myself bored of doing errands, and didn't really have any incentive to continue. I'll give it another go later today.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The big thing with this one is its focus on competition.

I'm sure there are some of the tedious mmo features in this game, but remember -- you cap at level 20. There's not a whole lot of time to screw around and do stupid stuff. :) The guild competition is what this game is supposedly really about.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 03:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woo! It ended a few hours ago. Massive fun (as usual) .. played the three days through with Mat and the gang. This is probably my favourite event to date. Finally got into PvP this time around and didn't do too bad in it either. Flo and Thrud got their first Rank sticks too :D

This time they had a massive Gwen (anyone who's played pre-searing Ascalon will know who I'm talking about) invasion in LA D1 in the final few minutes .. they went around carpet bombing the entire population. Fun as fuck (got screenies).

Pics shall follow in a while, when I've had a chance to convert them, select the good ones and come up with (un)witty one-liners about them.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 03:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played about 4 characters through to around 4-6 and I'm liking the Warrior. I might end up cross-classing into Necromancer to augment my combat. I tried out PvP too, and apparently the Life Siphon spell or whatever it's called is very popular (which I didn't know while I was creating my character). I had fun, and won about half the fights I was in. I think most of the losses resulted in a stupid team, though. :)

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 04:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ggs see ya in a month
edit: I'm surprised I have as much health as you do and double your magic points @ only level 14. :confused:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure about the health (are you using any runes?) but the energy difference is due to two reasons: 1) I use a bow, so I can't carry a focus item in my off hand 2) you're an Elementalist and probably have lots of points in Energy Storage, no other profession has a similar attribute.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're probably right about both. I'll have to take a look @ my health while "naked" next beta. I'm probably modded close to +40 health. And I do have a ton of skill points in energy storage. 10 fire elem and 9 energy storage.
I seriously need a better wand/artifact or staff if I'm to continue as an elem. It seems that there's very little good stuff for elems in the game. I consitently find better weapons for all the other classes than I do for myself.
I think I'm getting the special bow w/ my preorder, so I might try a ranger/elem combo when the game gets released since they both use distance attacks primarily.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OverRide wrote:
Nice dude, you got a zip file of all those avatars? :o

Sure.
http://images.fender.net/gw_avatars.zip

The original size (128x128) JPGs are here:
http://images.fender.net/skills/

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 12:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
You're ..

I looked it up and found out that all characters have the same amount of health at equivalent levels. You've likely got a rune and possibly benefits from a weapon too. Since I created Flo as a Lvl 20 PvE character, I haven't bothered crafting any armor or even gotten a better weapon (I'm still using a "Test Bow" heh) so I've got no runes etc.

About finding good weapons for your character: the reason you're not finding any über staffs/wands is that there aren't any! In trying to prevent this becoming an item hunt fest like the Diablo games, they've shifted focus entirely from items/armor to your skillset and how effectively you use it. Furthermore, your character (being an Elementalist) should be focussing on using massive damage spells during combat, the weapon would only be used as an absolute last resort. Seeing how all caster weapons are pretty crap, I made my Monk/Ranger so I could cause a bit of damage with a bow .. however (as you astutely observed) my energy levels are quite crap cause I can't use a focus item giving me an energy benefit.

What I'm trying to get across in my rambling is that the game is all about BALANCE, and getting the balance just right across all the professions in terms of health, energy, armor, weapons, skills etc is quite a huge task but I think ArenaNET have pretty much nailed it. In attempting to cause more damage, I've hampered my Monk's healing output. Every profession has its use and every profession can be highly effective if used the right way.

</ramble>

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 01:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'ere U4EA, do you have a link to that thread where the guy was doing the dye mixing experiment?
I quite fancy seeing the outcome...

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 01:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I dunno what happened, but the guy who was supposed to collect the dyes and do the mixing was MIA on the last day so I never managed to get him the dyes (I still have them all btw). Here's the results of the first effort during the Feb BEW.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 02:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Regarding dyes, I honestly think they should make them freely available.
Granted, you'd have an initial rush of everybody going black, but that'd soon change once everybody realised they all looked they same.
Freedom of choice would just remove that cookie-cutter design feel completely...

If they didn't do that, I would at least like some sort of dye preview option so that I could see what stuff would look like before applying the dye.
As it is, you can spend a fortune on dyes only to be disappointed with the way it looks.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.