Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        UKTV: A Clockwork Orange

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: UKTV: A Clockwork Orange

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

11:05 PM on channel 4.

\o/

Kubrick's rather well done adaptation of the novel, if you haven't seen it before i can't recommend it enough, if you have seen it before i trust you'll be watching it again

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 01:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it was ok...not sure why it was banned tho...part from the eye bits....ergh

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he banned it himself.. :/

(i dont know why .. he was a perfectionist, maybe one of the screens was slightly framed wrong? :icon32: )

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if they even showed that on cable on this side of the pond.... :smirk:

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 01:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
I'd be surprised if they even showed that on cable on this side of the pond.... :smirk:

I've seen it a couple times on cable in HD. :shrug:

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really? What channel(s)?

Was it edited?

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 03:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

InHD or HDNetMovies or something like that. Was included w/ digital cable package for a while, now it is subscription. :mad:

I didn't watch it all the way through, so I didn't see the rape, but the scene where they were riding the giant dildoes around the house was intact as was the scene where the desensitiation therapy starts. Unfortunately, I think I did see some cock, IIRC. Unedited I'm pretty sure.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
he banned it himself.. :/

(i dont know why .. he was a perfectionist, maybe one of the screens was slightly framed wrong? :icon32: )

he pulled it because he was getting death threats

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:rolleyes: lol, fkn bullshit!:rolleyes:
the REAL reason he pulled it:
Because of the copy-cat violence that the film was blamed for, Kubrick withdrew it from circulation in Britain about a year after its release. [Shortly after the ban was instituted, a 17-year old Dutch girl was raped in 1973 in Lancashire, at the hands of men singing Singing in the Rain. And a 16-year-old boy had beaten a younger child while wearing Alex's uniform of white overalls, black bowler hat and combat boots. Both were considered 'proof', after the fact, that the film had an influential effect on violence in society.] In preparation for a new 1972 release for US audiences, Kubrick replaced about 30 seconds of footage to get an R-rating, as opposed to the X-rating that the MPAA initially assigned to it. (The replacement footage was for two scenes: the high-speed orgy scene in Alex's bedroom, and the rape scene projected at the Ludovico Medical Center.) In the spring of 2000, an uncut version of the film was re-released to British screens.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

busetibi wrote:
Because of the copy-cat violence that the film was blamed for, Kubrick withdrew it from circulation in Britain about a year after its release. [Shortly after the ban was instituted, a 17-year old Dutch girl was raped in 1973 in Lancashire, at the hands of men singing Singing in the Rain. And a 16-year-old boy had beaten a younger child while wearing Alex's uniform of white overalls, black bowler hat and combat boots. Both were considered 'proof', after the fact, that the film had an influential effect on violence in society.] In preparation for a new 1972 release for US audiences, Kubrick replaced about 30 seconds of footage to get an R-rating, as opposed to the X-rating that the MPAA initially assigned to it. (The replacement footage was for two scenes: the high-speed orgy scene in Alex's bedroom, and the rape scene projected at the Ludovico Medical Center.) In the spring of 2000, an uncut version of the film was re-released to British screens.

so according to you, he pulled it for copycat violence which didn't happen until after he pulled it?

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 11:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Personally I think Kubrick pulled it because it's unfuckingbelievably boring.

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 11:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no not according to me,its according to the facts,
let me ask you,
were you in the uk when the movie came out?
heh, im betting you were still a sparkle in your fathers eye,
nm,
once the movie came out,most of the skin heads started to dress like "alex".
hence him banning it because the uk youth were acting it out on the streets.
he pulled it when he saw/papers bitching about it being to violent.
the fact that the girl was raped after it was pulled,shows that the kids of the day were already acting like "alex"
hence the statment
"Both were considered 'proof', after the fact, that the film had an influential effect on violence in society.]"

and before you ask, yes,i was a skinhead @that time,but we didnt change to the CO mind set,we kept on beating up other football teams supporters :)

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

busetibi wrote:
no not according to me,its according to the facts,
let me ask you,
were you in the uk when the movie came out?
heh, im betting you were still a sparkle in your fathers eye,
nm,
once the movie came out,most of the skin heads started to dress like "alex".
hence him banning it because the uk youth were acting it out on the streets.
he pulled it when he saw/papers bitching about it being to violent.
the fact that the girl was raped after it was pulled,shows that the kids of the day were already acting like "alex"
hence the statment
"Both were considered 'proof', after the fact, that the film had an influential effect on violence in society.]"

and before you ask, yes,i was a skinhead @that time,but we didnt change to the CO mind set,we kept on beating up other football teams supporters :)

I'm very proud of you being a skinhead in 71 bu that doesn't make your violent past the reason he withdrew the film...

http://www.answers.com/topic/a-clockwork-orange

in a television documentary made after Kubrick's death, his widow Christiane confirmed rumours that Kubrick had withdrawn A Clockwork Orange from UK distribution on police advice after threats were made against Kubrick and his family.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/trivia

One of the reasons why Kubrick withdrew the movie from distribution in the U.K. were, according to his wife Christiane, several death threats that his family received because of the film.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 11:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMG we found someone older than booger

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 12:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stanley Kubrick's randomly ultra-violent, over-indulgent, graphically-stylized film of the near future. It was a terrifying, gaudy film adaptation of Anthony Burgess' 1962 satiric, futuristic novel of the same name. This was Kubrick's ninth feature film, appearing between 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) and Barry Lyndon (1975). The luridly-colorful set designs by John Barry, costume design by Milena Canonero, the synthesized electronic score by Walter Carlos, the colorful and innovative cinematography by John Alcott, and the hybrid, jargonistic, pun-filled language of Burgess' novel (called Nadsat - an onomatopoetic, expressive combination of English, Russian, and slang), produce a striking, unforgettable film.

The controversial film's title and other names in the film have meaning. The title alludes to:

a clockwork (mechanical, artificial, robotic) human being (orange - similar to orang-utan, a hairy ape-like creature), and
the Cockney phrase from East London, "as queer as a clockwork orange" - indicating something bizarre internally, but appearing natural, human, and normal on the surface
The film's poster and tagline advertised its themes of violence in a police state, teen delinquency, technological control, and dehumanization:

Being the adventures of a young man whose principal interests are rape, ultra-violence and Beethoven.

Originally rated X, A Clockwork Orange was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Film Editing and Best Screenplay, but was defeated in each category by William Friedkin's The French Connection (1971). Because of the copy-cat violence that the film was blamed for, Kubrick withdrew it from circulation in Britain about a year after its release. [Shortly after the ban was instituted, a 17-year old Dutch girl was raped in 1973 in Lancashire, at the hands of men singing Singing in the Rain. And a 16-year-old boy had beaten a younger child while wearing Alex's uniform of white overalls, black bowler hat and combat boots. Both were considered 'proof', after the fact, that the film had an influential effect on violence in society.] In preparation for a new 1972 release for US audiences, Kubrick replaced about 30 seconds of footage to get an R-rating, as opposed to the X-rating that the MPAA initially assigned to it. (The replacement footage was for two scenes: the high-speed orgy scene in Alex's bedroom, and the rape scene projected at the Ludovico Medical Center.) In the spring of 2000, an uncut version of the film was re-released to British screens.

The frightening, chilling and tantalizing film (a morality play) raises many thematic questions and presents a thought-provoking parable: How can evil be eradicated in modern society? If the state can deprive an individual of his free will, making him 'a clockwork orange,' what does this say about the nightmarish, behavioral modification technologies of punishment and crime? Do we lose our humanity if we are deprived of the free-will choice between good and evil?

well i still stick to my reply,
and this:
"I'm very proud of you being a skinhead in 71 bu that doesn't make your violent past the reason he withdrew the film..."
stop being a twat,if you wish to revert to petty dross then go for your life.

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 12:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geebs wrote:
OMG we found someone older than booger

but not as old as lars ;)

edit: twas his birthday the other day
HB m8 :)

Last edited by busetibi on 03-15-2005 01:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 01:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of the best films ever made.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 02:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a patch on the book though.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 02:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it doesn't do a bad job though

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 03:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the movie is incredible.
the opening scene is awesome!

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So awesome, I've completely forgotten it

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

busetibi wrote:

who's the twat?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geebs wrote:
So awesome, I've completely forgotten it

you're propably drinkning to much :p

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.