Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        A thought on illegal downloading...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: A thought on illegal downloading...

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll simplify this as much as possible. I'm against piracy, but probably moreso against the prosecution of parents because their thirteen year old downloaded a virtual library of music. This is the only reason I'm posting my idea.

Let's say you want to download green, but it's illegal to do so. We all know that mixing blue and yellow, the end result is green, and downloading those two is legal, but not green.

Many P2P programs send data in pieces. While one user sends you a small 100KB section, another sends a different. They're garbled until reintegrated after the download is completed.

In a somewhat similar fashion, when a programmer compiles his code, a lot of superfluous lines are packed into little instruction sets that are later inflated when the program is opened. Also, when compressing files with software such as winrar and winzip, my understanding is that small segments of similar code is removed but referenced in the zip file. For example, a combination of ABCDEFG could be common but as a file could be replaced with 1ff. ABCDEFJ could be 1fz or some other short combination that represents the line. In programs, there are similar groups of code that do the same function, and if I'm right, compression utilities are basically a transcoder that takes an apple and turns it into apl, but it understands that apl is decompressed into apple.

Anyway, back to P2P. What if you broke down a file into something that was so dissimilar to the intended end file, and unique in it's own right (ie, blue and yellow) and therefor perfectly legal while apart, but then the software combines it all in the proper order after you feed it some sort of small reference file that tells it where the pieces fit together at?

Or maybe with no reference file at all... Perhaps a Tetris-like snip of code could be added to the end of each section so B would fit to A and C in the proper order, and only in that order.

The method of putting them back together is the easiest (and already implemented in just about every P2P program) thing to do, keeping the parts unique, separate, and indiscernible as a group is the hard part.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Image[/img]

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Forum pictures. ;)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does anyone actually ever finish more than a sentence or two of a rep topic?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maiden wrote:
Does anyone actually ever finish more than a sentence or two of a rep topic?

you do in this moment :icon25:

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Opera :bluelaughingsmiley:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 10:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Opera :lol:

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep, have you ever read up on how torrents work?

KITTY!!
KITTY!!
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus christ rep, have you explored the areas outisde your bedroom?

electric sheep
electric sheep
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:

HAH, some cellphonage right there.. Kinda ironic dontcha think?

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:
http://members.cox.net/anticsensue/stupidforumgraphics.jpg

Celphoned.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The funny thing is when the media made the false announcement about my internet life being ruined...the Dow Jones dropped 35 points.

I'm just that good.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dekard wrote:
rep wrote:

HAH, some cellphonage right there.. Kinda ironic dontcha think?

Not really.

I was making a point about the people who post a stupid image with some giant Arial Narrow/Bold white font with a black stroked border that says something like,

"OMG ROFL DOOD. YOU OWN!" All in caps. The kiddies at SomethingAwful invented that garbage in 1999, and now everyone does it like it's still funny.

rep
rep

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
The funny thing is when the media made the false announcement about my internet life being ruined...the Dow Jones dropped 35 points.

I'm just that good.

Good try at a recovery.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually...everything recovered nicely.

The Dow Jones immediately shot up the 35 points that it lost, the media apologized and gave me 20 million bucks.

I'm swimming in hookers.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you just line their snatches with plastic? Do you use chlorine or shock?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
Do you just line their snatches with plastic? Do you use chlorine or shock?

Chorine pressure wash followed by a steel brush raking.

Nice and fresh. Like 12 year olds.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn, I wouldn't think you could swim in a 12-year-old. You've done your research sir. :icon14:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.