Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        A question about what to expect in the future of video games

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: A question about what to expect in the future of video games

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This question might be most applicable to people working in the industry or those of you with graphics backgrounds...do you have any predictions as to when PCs and/or home game consoles will be able to produce real-time graphics like those we see in todays animated movies (i.e. The Incredibles, Robots, etc..) Every time I see one of these movies, I can't help but think that someday I'll be gaming with graphics like those produced in these movies.
Anyone have a hypothetical time scale as to when, if ever, we are playing games with graphics on par with today's movies?

20 years?
Never?

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 06:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03-15-2005 06:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
This question might be most applicable to people working in the industry or those of you with graphics backgrounds...do you have any predictions as to when PCs and/or home game consoles will be able to produce real-time graphics like those we see in todays animated movies (i.e. The Incredibles, Robots, etc..) Every time I see one of these movies, I can't help but think that someday I'll be gaming with graphics like those produced in these movies.
Anyone have a hypothetical time scale as to when, if ever, we are playing games with graphics on par with today's movies?

20 years?
Never?

You know, I've said this once before but I'll say it again. When Warcraft 2 came out I watched the intro cg they had and thought to myself OMFG that looks so cool I wish video games would look like that someday.

Well, today they look better. IT took about 5 years before games looked like they did in that CG. So. Take some of the best CG you can find today. Add 5-10 years and that's likely what games will look like then. :)

Swiller of Beer
Swiller of Beer
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

go hang around polycount forums
there are alot of these type of threads popping up

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In exactly 7 years there will be movies released in which you will not be able to distinguish between a filmed movies and a cg movie.

Between 15-20 years before games acctually catch up to that.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 07:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so nobody here thinks ue3 looks at least like toy story or mebbe a bit better? :paranoid:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
5 before I upgrade enough to be able to do it

lol, I'm with ya there

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the real question is, when will we get to move to the moon?

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It has a negligible amount of effects it can produce in comparison to what was seen in movies half a decade ago.

Depth of field and focus have not been properly addressed yet, and these are probably the most pertinent issues that would add realism. Lighting methods have been pushed to the limit as far as today's technology goes, and I believe with more research and some new API wizardry, they'll get depth of field, focus, and blurs working well enough that they don't look like a side show effect.

In games like Need For Speed Underground (2), there are some DX9 motion blur effects, but are novelties at best, and as forementioned a side show effect.

The entire game environment needs these visual attributes, not just the cool parts.

Games are, and will be for at least the next twenty years, presented on some sort of screen; When viewing a screen, people understand visual effects akin to movies more than a completely in focus game. Be real, with 20/20 vision, would you really see your enemy in perfect clarity in your peripheral vision on Q3DM17 when you're at the shotgun and he's at the railgun? Probably not.

We just need to figure out how to control the camera focus effect. On TV shows, when the person in the frame speaks, the cameraman focuses on him. When the person a few feet back starts his line, the camera focuses on him, and therefor blurs out the first man. I suppose if we wore headtracking VR helmets with some sort of eye monitoring device that keeps tabs on what our pupils are doing, it would work out quite well, but for this to become reality, it'd have to make it's rounds in the arcade scene and get really big in Japan.

Fortunately, the nips are big on crazy peripherals like that.

get ready for the sucker punch!
get ready for the sucker punch!
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 09:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

20 years?
Never?

well if we keep preventing under age kids from having the right to buy the games as well then we may never get the proper funding that we'll need to bring them up to that scale. :p

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.