Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        To the gym people of q3w

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 05:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And benchpress dead hookers.

Banned
Banned
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Going for a workout myself in about an hour, back/bicep stuff today.
I'm going to switch things up a bit because i dont think I'm hitting my lats anywhere nearly effectively enough.

I've been doing bent over rows, and I've been unsure about my form so I'm reverting back to chins. I might put in some straight arm pulldowns to isolate them too.

I think I'm finally getting a handle of chest/tri stuff now though; if only I had a spot I could drop the reliance on the Smith machine and work my stabaliser's a lot more than just hitting them on incline presses.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mik0rs wrote:
I'm going to switch things up a bit because i dont think I'm hitting my lats anywhere nearly effectively enough.

I've been doing bent over rows, and I've been unsure about my form so I'm reverting back to chins. I might put in some straight arm pulldowns to isolate them too.

I think I'm finally getting a handle of chest/tri stuff now though; if only I had a spot I could drop the reliance on the Smith machine and work my stabaliser's a lot more than just hitting them on incline presses.

i hate smiths. really i do

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I train at home, usually chest, bi and triceps. Also shoulder and stomach.

I'm only 17 (soon 18) so I got plenty of time to evolve. ;P

Banned
Banned
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who wrote:
mik0rs wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan, I use them out of necessity rather than ease of use; pretty soon I'm looking to use the normal bench for the lower weight pyramid sets and move to the Smith when I know I'm going to damage myself without a spot for the free bar at the heavier weights.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 05:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone have any good links for a good food program ? Not sure how I should setup my meals to gain most from my training.

Also, how many hours/days do you rest between each session ?
My gymnastic teacher said something around 48 hours, but that wasn't for strength, more for running and the likes.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mik0rs wrote:
Who wrote:
mik0rs wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan, I use them out of necessity rather than ease of use; pretty soon I'm looking to use the normal bench for the lower weight pyramid sets and move to the Smith when I know I'm going to damage myself without a spot for the free bar at the heavier weights.

im sure if u ask someone thats around at the time they will spot you. i mean i always do if someone asks me to help. wish u all the best with it anyway. sounds like ur not going to give up easy :)

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

blood.angel wrote:
I just masterbate 30 times a days.

Respect.

Banned
Banned
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who wrote:
im sure if u ask someone thats around at the time they will spot you. i mean i always do if someone asks me to help. wish u all the best with it anyway. sounds like ur not going to give up easy :)

Lol, no chance of me giving anything up, I've only just started back after an absence of a few months. But thanks :)

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
reps don't count.

:paranoid: :paranoid: :dork:

get ready for the sucker punch!
get ready for the sucker punch!
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you take flax seed oil for you work outs what happens is when you shit, even if it's a big ass logg it slides out real nice and easy. so any constapated ass mutha fuckas should relly get some flax seed oil. i keep it real.

PostPosted: 03-19-2005 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Deadlifts.
Nobody deadlifts anymore.

I do, deadlifts seperate the men from the boys

PostPosted: 03-19-2005 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:
Proper training is a set of 12.

If you can lift more than 12 in a set, it's too light. If you can't get to 12, it's too heavy. This is the best thing for maintaining form and isolating.

For bulking up, don't do what idiot high school kids do... (They eat a bunch of shitty food and expect to be able to cut after 6 months of getting fat. Fat muscles don't count. Quality, not quantity.)

I'm in a ketosis cut stage right now. Stomach? Burning so painfully. It's a good pain, though.

I've seen friends press weight 20-40% over what they're used to expecting to get swolen in a few months and all they get are stretch marks from it. Good job.

You know nothing about bodybuilding.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sys0p wrote:
tnf wrote:
Deadlifts.

:icon25:

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 01:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who wrote:
[xeno]Julios wrote:
tx man - i'm 165 now - 5'10 or so. Got a pretty small boned frame - tiny wrists, etc - but been blessed with some pretty meaty shoulders.

How long you been at it for?? nice gain there

Wrists are a complete bitch, i have the same problem with them. so if anyone has any ideas on how to thicken up the wrists im listening

/me waits for wanking suggestions

YOU CAN USE BOTOX! IT'S SAFE AND EFFECTIVE!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

was stiff deadlifting 265 pounds yesterday. Asked for someone to watch my form on the second set, and while my form was pretty good, my grip was giving out.

I use a double pronated grip like this

so it's really hard to keep a grip on the bar without gloves or wrist straps.

He recommended I try out a hook grip

where you wrap your fingers around your thumb. Gave it a try and holy fuck it hurt. Apparently you get used to the pain, and the tissue damage isn't too bad.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mik0rs wrote:

yea i had issues with bent over barbell rows - I mastered the posture, but i felt really weak bringing the bar up - it's tricky to activate the back muscles as opposed to the biceps.

Chins will do wonders for your lats - i prefer a supinated close grip, as this allows the biceps to be in a strong position (thus more weight can be added), and you get more stretch on the lats.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sys0p wrote:
tnf wrote:
Deadlifts.

Yup. The real ones too...stiffs are great for the hams and lower back, but pulling deads from the floor rivals squats, IMHO and experience, for strength and size gains. In fact, I made my steadiest and best strength gains in my legs when I alternated between deads from the floor and squats each week.

I used the traditional powerlifting grip as well, one hand over, one under. Used both hands pronated for stiff-legged deads. Also, to work on your deads, you can do them in a squat rack and use the racks to adjust where you pull from.

PostPosted: 03-19-2005 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're having trouble getting the bar up on bent over rows, then you're using too much weight. People throw shitloads of plates on and then row it with their lower back, and totally fuck the movement up. It's supposed to end in a squeeze, which you can't do if you load the bar up with too much weight. Typically, I won't put anything more than 80kg for bent over rows, and I'm strong enough to pull 150kg if I let my ego take over

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 01:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
mik0rs wrote:

yea i had issues with bent over barbell rows - I mastered the posture, but i felt really weak bringing the bar up - it's tricky to activate the back muscles as opposed to the biceps.

Chins will do wonders for your lats - i prefer a supinated close grip, as this allows the biceps to be in a strong position (thus more weight can be added), and you get more stretch on the lats.

I would only bent row using Dorian Yates technique...not bent over too far, both hands under, etc.

Lets you go heavy, and really add mass to the lower part of the lats. However, you do have to be careful not to overdo it and strain or pull a bicep, and avoid teh temptation to try and use momentum and back sway to get the weight up...

PostPosted: 03-19-2005 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
sys0p wrote:
tnf wrote:
Deadlifts.

Yup. The real ones too...stiffs are great for the hams and lower back, but pulling deads from the floor rivals squats, IMHO and experience, for strength and size gains. In fact, I made my steadiest and best strength gains in my legs when I alternated between deads from the floor and squats each week.

I used the traditional powerlifting grip as well, one hand over, one under. Used both hands pronated for stiff-legged deads. Also, to work on your deads, you can do them in a squat rack and use the racks to adjust where you pull from.

Yep, that's exactly the same grips I use. The over/under just doesn't seem to work for stiff deads. I dead on back day so I can still fit squats in as well.

do you mean the power rack or whatever it's called? My gym doesn't have one of those, but I wish it did

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 01:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, basically a power rack, or just a squat 'cage' where you can put the long safety rods in. If you have a weak spot in your dead, lets say the middle third of the movement, you can put the rods in so that you are only pulling the bar up from the beginning of that range - really focusing on activating everything involved in that particular spot. You can also put a bench in the squat cage like that, and use those rods to work on isolating various parts of the bench...kind of like partials. Pretty unorthodox, I've seen it in a few old school powerlifting magazines...guys would basically set up the rack so the bar would rest on the safety rods about 2 inches above their chest, then have another safety rod about 6 inches above. So, they had isolated only one portion of the movement. I don't see the technique discussed or advocated much anymore...

PostPosted: 03-19-2005 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That sounds pretty good, it'd probably help fix the wobble in my knees through the 1st part of a deadlift. sometimes they go crazy... It's like I'm taking weightlifting back to the 80's by throwing in some disco dancing halfway through the lift.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sys0p wrote:
That sounds pretty good, it'd probably help fix the wobble in my knees through the 1st part of a deadlift. sometimes they go crazy... It's like I'm taking weightlifting back to the 80's by throwing in some disco dancing halfway through the lift.

Yea, give it a try. Do you use a wide stance with hands in the middle, or a narrow stance with hands on the outside.

I used to vary...sometimes I'd do the 'sumo stance' (legs wide), and others I'd keep my feet about shoulder length apart, with my hands just wider.

PostPosted: 03-19-2005 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I keep my feet close usually, which is when it happens.. It's all good if I do a sumo stance, but they hit my legs too much so I don't like to do them.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wobbling knees with heavy weight is a recipe for knee damage, from what i understand. Widen your stance, maybe flare your toes out a bit like in squats. I know shit all about bent legged deadlifts though...

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can do stiff legged deads with bent knees. I think they are safer and, if done right, still give a great stretch to the hamstrings.

PostPosted: 03-19-2005 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I do when with bent knees, it's good to stack a couple of plates on the floor and do them standing on top of them. If you bend your legs a bit you can get much deeper

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bend my knees on stiffs also - turn em into keystone/romanian deadlifts.

Bent knees are fine - wobbling knees = bad

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 12:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice to know there a few people here who go to the gym. takes commitment and in my book thats a good thing!

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 12:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
was stiff deadlifting 265 pounds yesterday. Asked for someone to watch my form on the second set, and while my form was pretty good, my grip was giving out.

I use a double pronated grip like this

so it's really hard to keep a grip on the bar without gloves or wrist straps.

He recommended I try out a hook grip

where you wrap your fingers around your thumb. Gave it a try and holy fuck it hurt. Apparently you get used to the pain, and the tissue damage isn't too bad.

Who the fuck does Mr. Stonewash think he is? Apparently someone is challenging me for my title of King of the Universe. He won't get far with those peashooters he calls arms, though.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 02:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok let me see. Here we use kilo's and 1 kilo is 2 pounds, so this would be a part of my breast [is that the right word?] session.

Bench press:

8 x 160
6 x 170
4 x 180
2 x 200

Incline bench press:

8 x 140
6 x 150
4 x 160
2 x 170

For the legs I do:

Squat:

8 x 220
6 x 240
4 x 260
2 x 280

Leg press:

8 x 380
6 x 400
4 x 420
2 x 440

And offcourse the rest but I don't feel like typing all that shit here because I go 6 times a week. It would become a big text.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 02:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm just over a month in of going to the gym 2-3 times a week on light cardio and weight workouts.

i had a weight drop. i'm 6'2", i used to weigh 65kg (143lb) -- now i'm 60kg (132 lb).

eep !

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.