Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Whats a good linux distro?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Whats a good linux distro?

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sort of bored and I want to try my hand with linux again.

I'm looking for something that looks good, easy to install and doesn't take up much space. Any ideas?

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 05:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redhat fedora
I haven't used it in a while, but several people here at work are using it @ home.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mandrake's a doddle to install.

gentoo's worth a look.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've heard many a nerd sing Slackware's praises.

i'm gorgeous!
i'm gorgeous!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Slackware!!! :icon14: .. errr...

Last edited by diego on 03-17-2005 06:09 AM, edited 1 time in total.

i'm gorgeous!
i'm gorgeous!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I mainly use debian. Seriously now.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rather not bother with slackware, last time I tried it I had to learn to code just to get my mouse wheel to work.

Downloading Fedora now.

i'm gorgeous!
i'm gorgeous!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ubuntu has got a funny name. And a good layout and hardware support. Seriously.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I get the Ubuntu free cd, I'll try it out.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bah, fedora is too big and will take me 6 hours to download so I'm going to get Ubuntu for now. It' based on Debian right?

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

get gentoo

emerge kde 3.4

call it a day

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ubunutu may sound odd but it runs really well. It also detected my sound and everything works good.

i'm gorgeous!
i'm gorgeous!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inphlict wrote:
Ubunutu may sound odd but it runs really well. It also detected my sound and everything works good.

As I said - it just plainly owns. Congrats, brother - btw, did you install it or run it from a Live-CD?

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No I downloaded the ISO, burned it and booted to install it.

i'm gorgeous!
i'm gorgeous!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 12:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just think Ubuntu (despite its funny name) "feels" great. I love the layout and the apps its coming with.
So, good decision :up:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 12:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fedora Core 3 is great; very fast and very easy to install. Debian is also good.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I really didn't want anything bloated. Btw is there anyway to listen to my mp3s on the ntsf system? Can I import them some how?

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 12:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You only have 2 options:

Some form of Debian(Knoppix, Debian, Ubuntu) clone or a *BSD clone(FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD). A good package management system is crucial. If you want to compile everything from scratch down to the T, then go gentoo.

I love Debian for personal use. I use FreeBSD for strickly servers.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 12:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inphlict wrote:
Yeah, I really didn't want anything bloated. Btw is there anyway to listen to my mp3s on the ntsf system? Can I import them some how?

Your distribution should be able to mount the ntfs drive and allow you to READ your mp3 files just fine. It is still very buggy to write.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 04:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had Ubuntu on my dual Celeron box before I switched over to 2003. I even had the chips overclocked and it ran great. Played a few games of Quake3 on it then got bored.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 04:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm learning quite a lot and the linux community is very friendly :) I figured out about the mounting and I'm now able to enjoy the content on my xp drives.

I ran into a few problems but so far I'm finding solutions quite quickly. One problem is that most programs don't support mp3s and other formats popular on windows and I'm just finding ways to make certain programs run these files.

Found a good tutorial and I'm compiling mplayer now, should be able to enjoy all codecs after this.

I noticed everything can be done from the terminal, I'm not even using the auto synaptic thing.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 05:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Getting a desktop or server *nix system up and running is actually preety easy once you pass the learning curve. They're actually quite functional and useful. The simple fact that they generally include gcc and other compilers makes a hoby in programming trivial to start.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Run into a problem with mplayer and trying to fix it now, basicly all codecs run but I have no sound with mplayer.

I'm enjoying the multiple desktop switch keeps it clean and I can leave crap running in the back with out intervering with my surfing.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mac OS X. If you wish to argue, Mac OS X uses the UNIX core which is at the heart of the GNU/Linux Kernel.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arkleseizure wrote:
Mac OS X. If you wish to argue, Mac OS X uses the UNIX core which is at the heart of the GNU/Linux Kernel.

but will OSX run on x86 architeture? I do not believe so, so what good will your post do him?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
Arkleseizure wrote:

but will OSX run on x86 architeture? I do not believe so, so what good will your post do him?

Absolutely nothing, except convience him that the x86 architecture sucks and he needs to buy a Mac.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arkleseizure wrote:
Absolutely nothing, except convience him that the x86 architecture sucks and he needs to buy a Mac.

:icon29:

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 07:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would probally get a mac if I had the money.

I've fixed all the problems I've had, everything is running solid. I just need to customize everything.

Ubuntu owns.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arkleseizure wrote:
Kills On Site wrote:
Arkleseizure wrote:

Bochs x86 PC emulator
https://sourceforge.net/projects/bochs
Bochs is a portable x86 PC emulation software package that emulates
enough of the x86 CPU, related AT hardware, and BIOS to run Windows,
Linux, *BSD, Minix, and other OS's, all on your workstation.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 07:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Emulating architectures is very slow at the moment, it is extremelly unpractical for casual use.

Mac OSX was built on top of FreeBSD, NOT the unix core. It was built around the FreeBSD KERNEL which IS NOT in the heart of the GUN/linux kernel.

Finally, yes the x86 architecture is one of the weakest ones out there. RISC machines will always outperform them. However, most people (inclusive of this thread) have no fucking clue about what they are and why this is so.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 07:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inphlict wrote:
I would probally get a mac if I had the money.

I've fixed all the problems I've had, everything is running solid. I just need to customize everything.

Ubuntu owns.

Glad to hear you have everything running. I only have 1 of my personal computers running windows at the moment. Only reason for that is games.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 08:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tbh kde and gnome are slow as fuck compared to windows explorer. apart from that linux is nice :icon26:

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 08:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All of the *nixs are capable of being heavily customized. They're as fast/slow as you make them.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 09:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you quite sure that it was built on FreeBSD? I always heard it was built on the UNIX kernel causing fewer system crashes. I know Micro$oft went out on a limb and made their own "kernel."

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's excactly what I thought, so yes, I was right that the Mac OS X is based around the UNIX kernel.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.