Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        New Unreal 3 screens (17/3)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: New Unreal 3 screens (17/3)

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[lvlshot]http://cerberus.gamershell.com/screenshots/8070/163415_full.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://cerberus.gamershell.com/screenshots/8070/163414_full.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://cerberus.gamershell.com/screenshots/8070/163408_full.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://cerberus.gamershell.com/screenshots/8070/163405_full.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://cerberus.gamershell.com/screenshots/8070/163404_full.jpg[/lvlshot]

sooo...whats the game about? Lumberjacks? :icon6:

"And im proud to announce our new gametype called Cut that tree and bring it back to base.. or as we call it here at the Epic office, CTTABIBTB."

"How ya like those apples folks..."

:dork:

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*cums*

tnf: 2 more years, till you get your the incredibles like graphics in games. :p

PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd prefer less emphasis on graphics and more on morphable enviroments. Or in other words I'd rather see a less graphical world that deforms realisticly to things happening around.

Let's Get Serious!
Let's Get Serious!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
2 more years, till you get your the incredibles like graphics in games. :p
Robots (the movie) > The Incredibles

Last edited by The HavoX on 03-17-2005 06:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shiny trees :dork:

PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know I'd rather see a tree that you can shoot one of those UT spiny razory disk thingy's through the tree and see it fall than seeing a tree that looks almost real that can't be moved.

One Sweet Mullet
One Sweet Mullet
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:
You know I'd rather see a tree that you can shoot one of those UT spiny razory disk thingy's through the tree and see it fall than seeing a tree that looks almost real that can't be moved.

amen. this is a reason that i loved Red Faction. blowing up stuff was so much fun.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what kind of machine setup do they actually use to build this graphics engine?

PostPosted: 03-17-2005 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sirstrongbad wrote:
Kracus wrote:

amen. this is a reason that i loved Red Faction. blowing up stuff was so much fun.

I enjoyed red faction but found the levels to be a little TOO deformable in some situations and the gameplay and maps were kinda crummy too. But the idea was definitely there! Now if we could get a company to make it work well with gameplay we'd probably have my new favorite game. I heard HL2 was a lot like that actualy...

One Sweet Mullet
One Sweet Mullet
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:
sirstrongbad wrote:
Kracus wrote:

I heard HL2 was a lot like that actualy...

yes and no. there are many crates, boxes, and other things that you can pick up, throw, break, etc. but the world is not deformable like Red Faction. HL2 gave the player the abillity to pick up random objects off the ground and throw them at enemies as a weapon. (shoes don't work very well, by the way)

come to think of it i never played all the way through Red Faction. i think i got tired of the repetitive cave-like level design pretty early on. going in with unlimited rockets and grenades and blowing everything up was great, though. :)

fear and hesitation
fear and hesitation
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 07:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reefsurfer wrote:

Keep in mind, that isn't a game at all. It's just a demonstration of their engine in its current state, not something to be played. In other words, it's like Doom 3. :p

You'll see in-game shots in a few months, I'd bet. Probably on Xbox2. :icon27:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Psyche911 wrote:
reefsurfer wrote:

Keep in mind, that isn't a game at all. It's just a demonstration of their engine in its current state, not something to be played. In other words, it's like Doom 3. :p

You'll see in-game shots in a few months, I'd bet. Probably on Xbox2. :icon27:

Quite a few people have a hard time understanding that it's not a game. There is no Unreal 3 even planned yet AFAIK. Maybe they need to rename their engine to cut the confusion. :icon32:

PostPosted: 03-17-2005 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
*cums*

The animated movie graphics are not cutting edge. This was done intentionally on the part of the animators. They wanted a certain look from the movies (or so I've heard).

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 08:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

meh

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 08:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:

It's been done in an old PS2 game.

I believe battlefield 2 has some rubble elements in some brushes... ie, telephone poles that can be blown up.

That sort of shit is so heavy on the CPU and networking that we won't get realistic physics for at least another decade.

SpeedTree has been out for years.

I don't mean to sound like a faggot, but the tiling grass ruins the whole thing for me. I hope what I'm seeing is an effect of crosshatching grass sprite polygons repeating and NOT a repeating texture.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
dzjepp wrote:
*cums*

The animated movie graphics are not cutting edge. This was done intentionally on the part of the animators. They wanted a certain look from the movies (or so I've heard).

Actually, much of the Incredibles is cutting edge stuff. Believe it or not, it's harder to make a nice cartoon looking movie that people forget it's CG than it is to make a realistic CG movie.

With the exception being The Spirits Within.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, don't see the point. Other than the fact that those were modeled with SpeedTree, what exactly are we looking at? Any actual new technology that they're using?

I'm starting to get the impression that Epic is using game art to promote their Unreal3 engine rather actual game engine technology. Not impressed.

For pete's sake, lvlshot that sucker!

Last edited by obsidian on 03-17-2005 09:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, Epic is excellent at marketing their engine. The Unreal Engine has had just as much mass appeal in the game community as any engine I can think of and then some.

Hot.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:
Actually, Epic is excellent at marketing their engine. The Unreal Engine has had just as much mass appeal in the game community as any engine I can think of and then some.

Hot.

Have you ever seen any of Epic's code? It's almost as sloppy as Valve's.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does that really matter? CryEngine is a total mess, but the games are still fun.

You act like UT and UT2003/2004 weren't fun. I had a fucking blast in those games.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:
Does that really matter? CryEngine is a total mess, but the games are still fun.

Speaking we are talking about engines and their appeal, yes.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 10:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's no concern of ours what their code is like. If it works, it works.

If you can make it work better, then you'd obviously be working for them or a better company.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 11:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just looks like a high poly tree to me :shrug:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 11:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:
It's no concern of ours what their code is like. If it works, it works.

If you can make it work better, then you'd obviously be working for them or a better company.

inolen probably could do it better...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with this speedtree thing, but I reckon the point of these screenshots is to display the engine's abilities to render organic structures with high performance. I'm also betting that the leaves on those trees are rendered using certain algorithms rather than modelling them one by one.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:

From a gamer's point of view, probably not, unless the sloppyness of the code introduces bugs and hurts performance of the engine.

From a developer's point of view, absolutely yes. It's a nightmare to work on poorly written and badly documented code.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YAY BLOOMS! :p

get ready for the sucker punch!
get ready for the sucker punch!
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks like photographs.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:
I'd prefer less emphasis on graphics and more on morphable enviroments. Or in other words I'd rather see a less graphical world that deforms realisticly to things happening around.

:icon14:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 01:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
YAY BLOOMS! :p

hAROLD Blooms? St Patrick's day?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 01:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hm... from a distance the trees look all fine. but when you get close you realize that there is something wrong with the bumpmapping. they shoul add an additional shader to prevent the shiny effect afterwards.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 01:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's no quake 4 :mad:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 01:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inolen wrote:

You must realise that rep's approach to things in life is an air of overconfidence combined with a large amount of half correct knowledge of things that he attempts to use to impress people.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 01:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
inolen wrote:

You must realise that rep's approach to things in life is an air of overconfidence combined with a large amount of half correct knowledge of things that he attempts to use to impress people.

well summed up :icon14:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.