Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Renew quake3world to make it bigger?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Renew quake3world to make it bigger?

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like this place, you like this place, we all like this place... but, why not make it more for the masses?

Quake3 is pretty old now(1999) and there arent really new forum members signing up here (except for the alt-nicks) and i thought maybe the admins should get a new .com and we all should try and pimp this place to be a REALLY large game/pc/console/hardware forum/community.

http://www.gamersworld.com is not taken nor is http://www.gamingworld.com and there are others aswell.

We could have a console forum, a pc forum, news forum and some other in addition to the ones we already got.
Would be nice to have a few hundred posters each day..

What do you think? :paranoid:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think in order for the free hosting to work, it has to remain quake3world.com.

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maybe a separate forum....

I just don't look forward to weeding through bullshit and half the threads being about the latest ebaumsworld update and looking at 5 million 'old!' posts

but that's just me.

Ifyou want to join a forum with multiple game platforms, join mine...even though there is only 11 members :D

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...and therein lies the fundamental problem. There are thousands of gaming forums out there now, and noone has the time to visit more than 1 or 2 and contribute effectively.

Forums withour purpose fail. This place's only purposes nowadays are to house the 'dependants' and to support some minor legitimate activity in the form of the Level Editing forum and such. Aside from that this place is dead.

But moving to another address, diversifying, or most any other trick you can think of isn't going to help things. About the only thing that will help is having some content to base the forums on.. something to discuss. Discussion Forums. The clue is in the name.

Well.. quake 3 is rarely played, and those who do still play typically fall into the 'hardcore' gamers category, and this place is a bit of a joke to them.

hrm. That about sums it up.

Last edited by Foo on 03-20-2005 09:31 AM, edited 1 time in total.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This suggestion has been made 100000 times.

The world has more than enough gaming forums.

PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When Quake4World comes out, can we move there?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, you have to stay here with the little ones.

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it would REALLY help if the editing focus was brought back to Quake 3. Imo, the programming and help wanted forums should be brought back.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

eepberries wrote:
I think it would REALLY help if the editing focus was brought back to Quake 3.

Yes, because Cosmopolitan says modding Q3 is a hip thing to do.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reefsurfer wrote:
I like this place, you like this place, we all like this place... but, why not make it more for the masses?

Quake3 is pretty old now(1999) and there arent really new forum members signing up here (except for the alt-nicks) and i thought maybe the admins should get a new .com and we all should try and pimp this place to be a REALLY large game/pc/console/hardware forum/community.

http://www.gamersworld.com is not taken nor is http://www.gamingworld.com and there are others aswell.

We could have a console forum, a pc forum, news forum and some other in addition to the ones we already got.
Would be nice to have a few hundred posters each day..

What do you think? :paranoid:

fuck u...

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
eepberries wrote:
I think it would REALLY help if the editing focus was brought back to Quake 3.

Yes, because Cosmopolitan says modding Q3 is a hip thing to do.

People who edit games don't give a fuck about morons like you who think "that's so nerdy, lawl" or "WHAT? Nobody edits quake3 anymore! That's so old an un-cool!"

There still is and will continue to be a quake3 editing fanbase, and I do beleive that if given the chance, it may return to q3w again. I really think it's pretty lame how the forum admins stopped taking the editing side of q3 serious in the slightest bit and bastardized most of the forums dedicated to it. So what if they might be a bit slower compared to how they used to be? Does it really kill anybody to just let it be?

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 10:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
This place's only purposes nowadays are to house the 'dependants' and to support some minor legitimate activity in the form of the Level Editing forum and such. Aside from that this place is dead.

Yes, thats exactly what i mean, its dead so maybe we could try and do something to renew it?
We do have some very talented people on these forums and we have some great discussions.. but it wouldent hurt with some fresh blood and more people.
And i dont mean for this place to be all about games... just as it is now but maybe with a news forum and pc/console forum... heck we could have a car forum a horse forum and 10 other forums aswell...

We have the admin and others that hack these forums so they are perfect and have kewl little features etc... that counts for me.

And foo, show me one really big game forum with alot of people, dont direct me to gamespot,ign,gamershell,the forumz or those major ones with alot of money put into them.
Show me one and i will join it :icon30:

If the admin would buy a new .com i would gladly help with $ and i belive most of ya would.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 is dead and there are already a million gaming forums. Just let this place be.

PostPosted: 03-20-2005 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The name of the forum is irrelevant, you need to get the word out what this place is about to different people. IE: Advertising.

People just need to know what this place is and what it's about. It's hardly a true Quake3 forum anymore, but if it isn't then what is it?

This place is like an anomaly or something. It's the only messageboard that lasted so long before it was screwed up royal by gamespy.

Otherwise this place really has no real topic of discussion or interest. Just the constant retarded content along witht the sometimes interesting topics makes it comedic and interesting to read.

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inphlict wrote:
Quake 3 is dead and there are already a million gaming forums. Just let this place be.

Direct me to them please.
ps. exclude gamespot,ign,gamespy,gamershell,the forumz,1up and all those major ones with cash put into them.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reefsurfer wrote:
ps. exclude gamespot,ign,gamespy,gamershell,the forumz,1up and all those major ones with cash put into them.

<u>Ehem.</u>

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think Foo pretty much nailed it.

If you want more content, post something.
Yes I know, I have no room to talk I hardly post either. I will try to work on that

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scourge34 wrote:
reefsurfer wrote:

<u>Ehem.</u>

I browsed through a few pages looking at those.. there were three forums that wasent specifically for one sort of games.. and yes, they had alot of poster there.

This one http://www.xsgaming.com/ ,this one http://www.egameaddiction.com/forums/ and this one http://forums.gameinformer.com/gi

thx. :icon25:

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lars63 wrote:
I think Foo pretty much nailed it.

If you want more content, post something.
Yes I know, I have no room to talk I hardly post either. I will try to work on that

I do post alot.. its not about the posting, there are alot of posts, im talking about new blood... new people, more thoughts/discussions.

Fickle Bastard
Fickle Bastard
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IGN owns this site as I understand it, having gained it from the purchase of Gamespy, who in turn picked it up from MPlayer and id software back in the day. I think the idea of making this an 'all gaming' forum would generally suck.

It doesn't matter that there isn't a huge influx of Quake III players anymore. This site has never been about the masses, it's been about the established community. I don't do skins or textures for QIII anymore but I still come here because of the community.

Speaking as a former admin of this site, I would've never even considered presenting this idea to IGN/GSI. These forums don't need a revival, they need to be preserved as a place for the consumate id game player, because really, these forums stopped being about exclusively QIII years ago and more about id software games in general. Why change that at all? There's no need.

Between all the game editing information here (and I'm kind of bummed all the skinning/texturing stuff PJ, Milla and I put together is more or less gone, but that's another story) and the memories here, I'd feel cheated if something like making these a generic gaming forum and probably stop coming here all together.

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok :paranoid:

sorry.. :tear:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I found the Doom 3 forum that used to be on here useful, that might bring in a few new people. It's not as if the Quake franchise is dead, we have Quake 4 to look forward to, although level editing will be more complicated than with Q3 because it uses the Doom 3 engine. If there was a general Doom3 forum here, it might give people preparatory info on how to do level editing with the Doom 3 engine so they'll be ready when Quake 4 comes out.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Foo wrote:

that sig is awsome

Speaking of sigs how do u center a sig. I've tried [center] & <center> tags already. :shrug:

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inphlict wrote:
Memphis wrote:
Foo wrote:

that sig is awsome

Speaking of sigs how do u center a sig. I've tried [center] & <center> tags already. :shrug:

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2066
:icon30:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
that sig is awsome

Glad someone appreciates Super Sonic :D

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla: No, I'm not a coder.

reefsurfer: Thanks.

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inphlict wrote:

reefsurfer: Thanks.

edit* never mind.. you figured it out. :icon31:

Last edited by reefsurfer on 03-20-2005 11:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.

get ready for the sucker punch!
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
When Quake4World comes out, can we move there?

someone had it already, is it someone here? :paranoid:

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

.info lol

PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inphlict wrote:

i got a 404, it's prolly rep and he's gonna do another "i have a big surprize that imma let out on so and so date" and then it's him with the url. :icon8:

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well it's not setup or anything, but I own it. I got it for free :)

PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake4world.net is available
quake4world.biz is available

according to http://domains.accuwebhosting.com/anacr ... age=%2F%3F

PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inphlict wrote:
Well it's not setup or anything, but I own it. I got it for free :)

your on the waiting list doggy, someone eles owns it now, but if they cancle it or whatever then you're up for it ;)

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chemical Burn wrote:
these forums stopped being about exclusively QIII years ago and more about id software games in general.

To be honest, I can't think of anything these forums are less about :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.