Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Bush is now in charge of life and death. Fucking great.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:
So where's that piece of paper stupid?

Compared to the legal costs, the cost of keeping her alive's nothing.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 07:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geebs wrote:
The idea of combining two flawed philosophies to make a better philosophy is a bit shaky, don't you think?

There will be flaws with pretty much any philosophy. But it is a bit more than simply 'combining' the two extreme philosophies...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FFS.. Bush has nothing to do with the legislation concerning the Schiavo case at this point. If people will take time to learn about our government, the bills are in the House and Senate. Once (if) they are passed, then they are sent to G.B. to be signed or vetoed. At this point he is signing off on what the MAJORITY of the House and Sentate passed. The bills are asking for Federal Court review of the case, something her parents haven't had an opportunity to see. They have asked for Supreme Court Review but have been denied. These bills would force this case and others like it to be reviewd by the Federal Courts at some level. Even condemned prisoners are allowed Federal review of their cases.

Now with that I believe she should be allowed to die although I think some form of euthanasia would be preferable to the death she will suffer this route. IMO her cognitive level is so low she probably can't even understand her situation or comprehend reality. What the parents want is more time to see if Terry can be treated with newer technology and I'm sure they personally wish to keep her alive as long as possible. It probably won't help but the husband hasn't allowed any formal level of treatment for her. It's odd that he hasn't been wanting to see if she can be rehabilitated at all.

What makes no sense is when Libs say it's ok to suck an innocent baby, even in late term sometimes and mainly for birth control, but don't want to execute heinous killers. :icon27: Personally I'll side on the side of the innocent over the guilty who had their chance. And I do believe abortions are ok if the mothers health is at risk, I just don't think aborthions should be a widely used form of birth control like it is now.

If people are so pro-life for killers why are they pro death in other situations? Seems contradictory.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RiffRaff wrote:
FFS.. Bush has nothing to do with the legislation concerning the Schiavo case at this point. If people will take time to learn about our government, the bills are in the House and Senate. Once (if) they are passed, then they are sent to G.B. to be signed or vetoed. At this point he is signing off on what the MAJORITY of the House and Sentate passed. The bills are asking for Federal Court review of the case, something her parents haven't had an opportunity to see. They have asked for Supreme Court Review but have been denied. These bills would force this case and others like it to be reviewd by the Federal Courts at some level. Even condemned prisoners are allowed Federal review of their cases.

Now with that I believe she should be allowed to die although I think some form of euthanasia would be preferable to the death she will suffer this route. IMO her cognitive level is so low she probably can't even understand her situation or comprehend reality. What the parents want is more time to see if Terry can be treated with newer technology and I'm sure they personally wish to keep her alive as long as possible. It probably won't help but the husband hasn't allowed any formal level of treatment for her. It's odd that he hasn't been wanting to see if she can be rehabilitated at all.

What makes no sense is when Libs say it's ok to suck an innocent baby, even in late term sometimes and mainly for birth control, but don't want to execute heinous killers. :icon27: Personally I'll side on the side of the innocent over the guilty who had their chance. And I do believe abortions are ok if the mothers health is at risk, I just don't think aborthions should be a widely used form of birth control like it is now.

If people are so pro-life for killers why are they pro death in other situations? Seems contradictory.

shut it jackass...

PostPosted: 03-20-2005 08:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

directed @ tnf

Strict naturalism is not an extreme. Only if by strict, you mean to actively refute that which they cannot test, verify, falsify. Such as actively refuting the existance of god, the supernatural soul, and other things supposedly outside the realm of the natural world. In such cases they can only assert possible superfluousness, or in the case of God, that he remains an unnecessary hypothesis not required to exist as far as we know by the natural world. That's far from a refutation of God's existance, or even a valid assessment of the likelyhood of his existance. So therefore a scientific position on God's existance would remain agnostic, as science remains agnostic to all hypotheses until evidence is brought forth to refute or bolster the claims made. Where supernatural beliefs make claims upon the natural world, they can be tested somewhat by science.

I'm simplifying the issue, God and gods are many things to many people. The spectrum can run from a deistic god to a god of major religions.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
directed @ tnf

Strict naturalism is not an extreme. Only if by strict, you mean to actively refute that which they cannot test, verify, falsify. Such as actively refuting the existance of god, the supernatural soul, and other things supposedly outside the realm of the natural world. In such cases they can only assert possible superfluousness, or in the case of God, that he remains an unnecessary hypothesis not required to exist as far as we know by the natural world. That's far from a refutation of God's existance, or even a valid assessment of the likelyhood of his existance. So therefore a scientific position on God's existance would remain agnostic, as science remains agnostic to all hypotheses until evidence is brought forth to refute or bolster the claims made. Where supernatural beliefs make claims upon the natural world, they can be tested somewhat by science.

I'm simplifying the issue, God and gods are many things to many people. The spectrum can run from a deistic god to a god of major religions.

I agree with you. I was also simplifying...perhaps calling it an 'extreme' was not accurate...I was spewing a stream of consciousness and not really taking the time to put into words exactly what I was trying to say. These are not issues that are easily put into words, as, like you said, there is a spectrum of opinions and beliefs....

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 09:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RiffRaff wrote:

I'm a liberal, and not for late-term abortion. You won't find a lot of us who are (I'm sure there are some). Even fewer who are in favor of late-term abortions as a means of birth control. I'm not for abortion at all, TBH, but I think it skews the issue to say "pro-death" in many cases. In fact, many people simply want doctors to have the right to make medical decisions in the extreme cases where an abortion might be required to save the life of the mother. And I believe there is a lot of angst towards the administration regarding this issue because the laws being looked at are moving towards preventing docs from having that ability.
It was like Bush asking Kerry if he was for or against abortion as a yes or no question...and Kerry saying he was for doc's having the right to make that decision, which was not given in the bill he did not vote for (the bill about partial birth abortions.) But Bush didn't want to hear WHY he didn't vote for it. He is a binary president - Yes or No. Good or Bad. Us or Them. But those issues are not always binary in their possible solutions. Kerry could have responded to Bush "Yes or No, are you for or against war?" Then followed up with how he must be for it, because he authorized it..

These are all grey areas, all very difficult to really legislate.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This reminds me of a BBC article I read a few weeks ago about a college aimed at far-right homeschooled Christian children, available here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/c ... 311709.stm

One choice tidbit:
Quote:
In fact all students have to sign a statement before they arrive, confirming, among other things, that they have a literal belief in the teachings of the Bible.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

She doesn't have a life, so stop artificially supporting her. Half the world doesn't have a life either, kill them too. The veggie's husband knows what's best for her, and if the family doesn't want him to perform that part of his husbandly duties, then he should be allowed hospital visits to viciously fuck her vegitative holes so he can at least get something out of the marrige.

PostPosted: 03-20-2005 11:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

megami wrote:
This reminds me of a BBC article I read a few weeks ago about a college aimed at far-right homeschooled Christian children, available here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/c ... 311709.stm

One choice tidbit:
Quote:
In fact all students have to sign a statement before they arrive, confirming, among other things, that they have a literal belief in the teachings of the Bible.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/c ... 313107.stm

Quote:
A literal belief in the Bible is not a bad thing, because the Bible has not been shown to have any error or fault.

Evolution is what worries me. Nobody who looks at the true evidence with an open mind can honestly believe that the earth is millions of years old, and that man and monkey are kin.

Man was made in the image of God. Look at the accomplishments and advances made by primates and compare them with human accomplishments. Pretty different, aren't they?

Which explains the reason for this better, creation or evolution? You decide.
Rick McDonnell, Illinois, United States

:icon32:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 12:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:

What a crappy rhetorical question.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yknow, the decision of letting someone live or die in a situation like this is ofcourse debatable.

what bothers me is that Bush seems to sign and refuses to sign 'revolutionary' laws without giving it much thought, like he's choosing between coke or pepsi :icon33:

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 12:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
directed @ tnf

Strict naturalism is not an extreme.

Sure it is...though I guess it would depend how strict your strictness is and what is precisely meant by 'naturalism'.

PostPosted: 03-21-2005 12:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannibal wrote:
Massive Quasars wrote:
directed @ tnf

Strict naturalism is not an extreme.

Sure it is...though I guess it would depend how strict your strictness is and what is precisely meant by 'naturalism'.

How so?

Me:
Quote:
Only if by strict, you mean to actively refute that which they cannot test, verify, falsify. Such as actively refuting the existance of god, the supernatural soul, and other things supposedly outside the realm of the natural world.

If strict naturalism means, in part, what I described above. I would consider it extreme.

PostPosted: 03-21-2005 01:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's worth arguing over semantics in this case. Strict naturalism may be extreme, but both "strict naturalism" and "extreme" are vague descriptions of a view or position. The label of "extreme" in this context may or may not describe the possible irrational refutation of positions, beliefs, outside that of strict naturalism.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To me, the definition of strict naturalism is pretty clear. Naturalism is a model that takes the natural world as its basis, where all knowledge is inducted by examining the natural world. Strict naturalism holds that the examining of the natural world is the only way in which we can obtain any knowledge. It is extreme in the sense that it is making an assumption, not proven, about the ways in which knowledge can be obtained.

PostPosted: 03-21-2005 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Me:
Quote:
Only if by strict, you mean to actively refute that which they cannot test, verify, falsify.

So if as mjrpes suggests, this is the case, then I don't think it's a mischaracterization to call strict naturalism, extreme.

mjrpes wrote:
It is extreme in the sense that it is making an assumption, not proven, about the ways in which knowledge can be obtained.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 02:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

According to her doctors, the woman has been brain dead for the last 15 years. She ain't getting better folks.

Her parents are devout Catholics and claim they've seen her laugh and cry and respond despite her being brain dead.

I guess she should have put it in writing that she'd want the plug pulled. Even then there'd probably be people fighting to keep her 'alive'.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 04:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yanks are dumber than a room full of 15 year old vegetables.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:

shut it jackass...

Nice example of your intelligence and broad range of vocabulary, actually lack there of. Please pester someone else with your idiocy.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RiffRaff wrote:
Freakaloin wrote:

shut it jackass...

Nice example of your intelligence and broad range of vocabulary, actually lack there of. Please pester someone else with your idiocy.

go fuck urself u fat fuck...any questions?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

I'm a liberal, and not for late-term abortion. You won't find a lot of us who are (I'm sure there are some). Even fewer who are in favor of late-term abortions as a means of birth control. I'm not for abortion at all, TBH, but I think it skews the issue to say "pro-death" in many cases. In fact, many people simply want doctors to have the right to make medical decisions in the extreme cases where an abortion might be required to save the life of the mother. And I believe there is a lot of angst towards the administration regarding this issue because the laws being looked at are moving towards preventing docs from having that ability.
It was like Bush asking Kerry if he was for or against abortion as a yes or no question...and Kerry saying he was for doc's having the right to make that decision, which was not given in the bill he did not vote for (the bill about partial birth abortions.) But Bush didn't want to hear WHY he didn't vote for it. He is a binary president - Yes or No. Good or Bad. Us or Them. But those issues are not always binary in their possible solutions. Kerry could have responded to Bush "Yes or No, are you for or against war?" Then followed up with how he must be for it, because he authorized it..

These are all grey areas, all very difficult to really legislate.

Problem is you may not be for abortion or late term abortions, I think it shows character to not blindly follow a party liine, but it's the Democratic party that supports the abortion agenda so unfortunately you may have great intentions and ideas but your party gets lumped in to the "Liberal" agenda theme.

I totally agree TNF that a mothers health should be the most important issue, no argument there. I think we can agree that most abortions are not for the mothers health but actually for some form of birth control. Most of the laws that I have heard of have had some form "Mother's health clause".

I see the spin on Bush's side but I also feel that Kerry would not restrict any form of abortion. He can't. He must be supportive of the party's platform of "allowing a woman to choose". That's why pro-choice advocates will not let a partial-birth abortion ban go through even with a clause for the mothers health. They see any limits on abortion as chipping away at the total right of pro-choice.

My intention wasn't to re-hash the abortion right on this board as I've seen it here before. In my previous post, I merely was responding to several positions through this thread.

Besides, failed abortions leave the world with retards like Freakaloin and it's better to not let them suffer through life that way. :icon27:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:
Freakaloin wrote:

shut it jackass...

go fuck urself u fat fuck...any questions?

Very proud of you. You've doubled the number of words you can use. BWAHAHAH.. You're stupidty really makes me laugh.

Go molest your dog you piece of dribbling crap. BTW, that's not a flame it's an accurate description of what I think you do in your spare time. I know this isn't R&R.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a douchbag says what?

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RiffRaff wrote:
I also feel that Kerry would not restrict any form of abortion. He can't. He must be supportive of the party's platform of "allowing a woman to choose".

Why's that in quotes? Unless of course you think a woman doesn't have a right to chose.

I come across lots of girls who are having their third abortion at age 20, that sort of thing. When you suggest to them that there are more convenient and safer methods of contraception, they either look at you dumbly or give you some crap about how the guy doesn't like to use condoms (I work in an area of london with a high incidence of HIV and a stratospheric incidence of chlamydia).

However, I still defend their right to chose, because the job of society is to help its members, not to dictate to them. If that baby's really not wanted, then it probably is better off not having been born. If you don't empower women by whatever means possible, and that includes access to condoms your holiness, then you end up with the third world.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 06:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bush, as Governor, signed in a bill that allows hospitals to pull the tubes/plugs on hospital patients in vegetative states. Even if its against what the family wants.
And guess what?
A baby had this done this very week, in Texas, against the parents wish.

http://www.dailykos.com/section/Media

Yanks are so dumb they cant see that they are the clowns of the world now.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 06:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

blood.angel wrote:
Bush, as Governor, signed in a bill that allows hospitals to pull the tubes/plugs on hospital patients in vegetative states. Even if its against what the family wants.
And guess what?
A baby had this done this very week, in Texas, against the parents wish.

http://www.dailykos.com/section/Media

Yanks are so dumb they cant see that they are the clowns of the world now.

yeah that lil negro baby...his mom was a crazy bitch...

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 06:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA BUSH
HAHAHAHAHAHA AMERICA

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA BUSH
HAHAHAHAHAHA AMERICA

Thank fuck they are the butt of jokes now instead of you chavs, eh?

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

blood.angel wrote:
Pauly wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA BUSH
HAHAHAHAHAHA AMERICA

Thank fuck they are the butt of jokes now instead of you chavs, eh?

I aint no chav, paddy

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
Strict naturalism holds that the examining of the natural world is the only way in which we can obtain any knowledge. It is extreme in the sense that it is making an assumption, not proven, about the ways in which knowledge can be obtained.

'Naturalism' is a word with multiple meanings...this is certainly true even within philosophy...which is why it is always good to explicitly state what version one is employing in a particular argument.

What you've described as 'strict naturalism' is undoubtedly false. It is akin to a kind of naive empiricism that virtually no one takes seriously anymore.

PostPosted: 03-21-2005 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

alright

PostPosted: 03-21-2005 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ tnf

Yeah don't misunderstand me, I'm just saying that there's a bunch of idiots in America just because this news is so sensationalized. The only reason it's being so sensationalized is BECAUSE there's so many people out there that just aren't educated but obviously, not everyone in the US is stupid.

However, on your argument about religion and stupidity you have to understand there's different levels of stupidity so to speak.

Like you could be intellectualy stupid, socialy stupid or many many other types of mental habits people just develop. The problem with religion, isn't religion itself it's the fact that religion is false, it's a lie plain and simple.

Now bear with me for a second before you jump up and down screaming that it's not false (not that I'm calling you a religious nut either but just keep reading) Let's assume for a second, play pretend, that religion REALLY doesn't exist.

If you beleived in religion you would be naive, because you were mislead and you beleived it. It's easy to be mislead when you're young and you were likely mislead from a very young age by people who were also mislead that you trust and beleive. These same people tell you to do things that are good morals and good ideas for civilization because these were ideals built to control a population to begin with. The problem is that beleiving in one lie, and even denying the idea that this may be false means you are prone to beleiving lies. You're prone to being led around and believing things that simply aren't true. Whether you choose to admit it or not is irrelevant, it's you're choice in what you beleive that is.

I have nothing against agnostics cause really theyre just open to both sides of the story but a little logic and common sense can go a long way in solving problems when it comes to "supernatural" things like god etc etc...j

So my point is that no matter how intelligent someone is, it doesn't mean they aren't prone to being naive. Which in itself is a flaw, and something thats just as dangerous as stupidity.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus - is there one morality superior to another?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
megami wrote:

One choice tidbit:
Quote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/c ... 313107.stm

Quote:
A literal belief in the Bible is not a bad thing, because the Bible has not been shown to have any error or fault.

Evolution is what worries me. Nobody who looks at the true evidence with an open mind can honestly believe that the earth is millions of years old, and that man and monkey are kin.

Man was made in the image of God. Look at the accomplishments and advances made by primates and compare them with human accomplishments. Pretty different, aren't they?

Rick McDonnell, Illinois, United States

:icon32:

I'd like to drive to Illinois and beat that man to death with my 2000+ page "The Structure Of EVolutionary THeory" by Steven Jay Gould. Better yet, I'd have a monkey do it for me, then throw its own shit on him.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.