Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Are many of you eating breakfast at restaurant before ...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Are many of you eating breakfast at restaurant before ...

Dubuc Coat of Arms
Dubuc Coat of Arms
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are many of you eating breakfast at restaurant before going to work?
And where? Wendy’s, Mc Donald, The House of pancakes, Denny’s, Starbuck…?
And how much do you spend?
And do you buy food/beverage from the cantine? The truck cantine or from the dispenser machine or at the cafeterira?

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sometimes if i have time i'll stop at mcdonalds on the way to work and get 2 sausage egg and cheese mcmuffins since their only a buck each.
that's only if i have time.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I pass on breakfast about half the time, if I have enough time I make some bacon, eggs and a turkey breast sandwich with some coffee.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck off with these lame 20 questions threads

Dubuc Coat of Arms
Dubuc Coat of Arms
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Borat wrote:
I pass on breakfast about half the time, if I have enough time I make some bacon, eggs and a turkey breast sandwich with some coffee.

I can understand "if I have enough time" because you don't fix yourself a plain breakfast. Man, what a treat to start off the day.

Dubuc Coat of Arms
Dubuc Coat of Arms
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Sometimes if i have time i'll stop at mcdonalds on the way to work and get 2 sausage egg and cheese mcmuffins since their only a buck each.
that's only if i have time.

Nice to hear of you. I've always wonder, what you troups, are eating and how do you make your meal when on a mission + the shower and toilet things.?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Leave the soap for dessert, boys :drool:

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pete what in the hell motivates some of these question threads you ask?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When Tony the Tiger says, "They'rre Grrreat!" is he talking about his bowels? As strange as it sounds, he could be.

Experiments that resulted in our first breakfast cereals were all attempts to create foods that would help regulate the gastrointestinal system. In the late 1800's, your ancestors were eating a lot of pork and beef for breakfast. Since their diets were mostly devoid of fiber, gastrointestinal disorders were common.

The group of people who set out to fix this problem -- those responsible for cereal brands we still buy today - are real-life heroes -- as fantastically intertwined as the characters of General Hospital or Melrose Place - and they were on a mission from God.

The First Breakfast Cereal

Dr. James Caleb JacksonIn 1863, Granula may have been a healthier morning option than pork, but it wasn't particularly tasty or easy to eat. The world's first breakfast cereal was comprised of dense bran nuggets that had to be soaked overnight in order to be chewable. Their inventor Dr. James Caleb Jackson operated the Dansville Sanitarium in Dansville, New York. His staunch vegetarian heart was in the right place when he served his old-school health spa patrons Granula. But the cereal was destined not to last.

One of the patrons of Dr. Jackson's sanitarium was a woman named Ellen G. White. Led by a vision from God in which she was told human beings should reject meat, she went on to form the Seventh Day Adventist religion. She never created a breakfast cereal, but as destiny would have it, one of the members of Sister White's new church was a man named John Kellogg.

The Kellogg Brothers

Dr. John Harvey KelloggLike his cereal-developing forefather, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg's vocation was the health spa and hospital business. He was the superintendent of the Battle Creek Sanitarium in Battle Creek Michigan. While history has relegated John Kellogg's medical professional status to that of bowel-obsessed quack (see the novel and film based on his rein at the sanitarium, Road To Wellville), in his day he was considered a very skilled surgeon.

Also like his predecessor, John Kellogg was devoted to creating healthy food items for his patients. In 1887, he developed a biscuit made of oats, wheat and corn meal. He called a ground-up version of this biscuit Granula. Word of the great new food item quickly spread. When it reached Dansville, New York, Dr. Jackson considered his own Granula, preformed a pre-Industrial Age "Whah chu talkin' 'bout, John Kellogg" and sued his colleague for infringement on his brand name. A settlement was reached and the name was changed to granola, with an O. Granola was only the beginning of Kellogg's contributions to breakfast.

Will Keith Kellogg The bookkeeper and manger of the Battle Creek Sanitarium was John's brother, former traveling broom salesman, Will Keith Kellogg. The brothers worked together to develop more grain-based vegetarian options for the guests of the spa. Countless variations of granola were created and their coffee substitute was a hit, but their most famous contribution to breakfast was an accident.

In 1894, one of the foods they prepared was a wheatmeal. To make it, they would run boiled wheat through rollers to create a very thin cracker-type sheet. They would then roast the sheet and grind it into meal. It happened one night that the brothers left a batch of boiled wheat out and forgot about it. The next day, they ran it through the rollers to see if the stale wheat would be salvageable once it was ground.

What emerged on the other end of the rollers was to change the world forever. Instead of a unified flat sheet, the wheat came out as flakes, one for each wheat berry. They roasted the flakes and served them to their patients. They had an immediate success on their hands.

Before long, ex-patients of the sanitarium were requesting the cereal flakes via the mail. Will Kellogg fulfilled the orders and in so doing began a packaged food enterprise. Two years after the discovery of the wheat flakes they were calling Granose, Will successfully created corn flakes. He tried to persuade John that they should sell their discoveries to grocery stores, but John would have none of it. He believed such a blatant commercial venture might compromise his integrity as a medical professional.

Undeterred, in 1906, Will bought out his brother's portion of the cereal patents and went on to create the Kellogg Company. Led by Will's natural business savvy and shrewd advertising techniques such as 1907's "wink at your grocer and get a free box Corn Flakes" campaign, the new company reached annual sales exceeding one million cases of cereal by its third year of operations.

Charles William Post

Charles William Post The sanitarium soap opera of cereal development doesn't end there. As it happened, a man named Charles William Post entered the Battle Creek Sanitarium in February 1893 to recover from a second nervous breakdown. While recuperating, he became impressed with the new healthy foods the Kellogg brothers were serving. He'd had an interest in coffee substitutes from earlier days in Texas where he'd tried a native chicory-based beverage.

The stay at the sanitarium didn't do much to improve his health, but it did manage to revive a passing interest in food development. By the following year, he had started his own Battle Creek-based sanitarium, La Vita Inn. There, he set to work on creating his own chicory coffee substitute and breakfast cereals.

Post, like Will Kellogg, was a natural at the young game of advertising. He launched the first nation-wide advertising campaign in the United States, and by 1897, the annual sales of his Postum coffee substitute had reached $840,000. A short time later, he began to sell his own Granula - we know it today as Grape-nuts - an easier to chew derivative of Dr. James Caleb Jackson's original cereal. Cementing C.W. Post's position as a cereal magnate was the successful release of his own brand of corn flakes, which he called "Elijah's Manna". The cereal was a big seller... once he changed the name to Post Toasties.

Better Than Pork Chops?

The breakfast cereal industry started with the best of intensions. Those of us who eat Grape-nuts and Corn Flakes may indeed have healthier colons and bowels because of these enterprising men. Certainly, a nice pork shoulder is better appreciated for dinner now that we skip it for breakfast. But we have to wonder what the principled John Kellogg might think of cereal today.

The C.W. Post Company went on to give us Super Sugar Crisp and Sugar Coated Rice Krinkles, while The Kellogg Company's healthy cereal flakes entered the realm of "Sugar Frosted Flakes". In 1953, Kellogg's introduced Sugar Smacks, aptly named because it contained 56 percent sugar.

Given the choice between a bowl of Sugar Corn Pops and Dr. Jackson's unchewable Granula bran nuggets, Dr. Kellogg might just decide that pork chops and a dirty colon weren't so bad after all.

Dubuc Coat of Arms
Dubuc Coat of Arms
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

Just another little marketing survey Sir, witch, I didn't specified. Sorry

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

Must have something to do with the fakeness.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 04:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
And do you buy food/beverage from the cantine? The truck cantine or from the dispenser machine or at the cafeterira?

The English have largely abandoned the traditional cooked breakfast. The wives are too lazy and churlish to cook it. Their husbands and children are too lazy to get up in time to eat it. In addition, all of them gullibly swallow the propaganda of assorted food faddists and health fascists. So they spoon up mixtures of grey cardboard, sawdust, and skimmed milk before they slouch off to the office, school, or unemployment-handout center. This mixture, they believe, will make them go to the lavatory, banish heart disease, and guarantee that they live forever. Why such a lazy people should want to do something as energetic as live forever is a mystery.

Many Americans have apparently kept the cooked breakfast of fried eggs, bacon, sausage, and fried (pre-boiled) potatoes. They are to be congratulated. But only a little, for what they have kept is only the appearance. Their breakfasts are a sham. They too are lazy, especially when it comes to shopping for the right ingredients. Take the first word in the above description, "fried." Frying imparts taste because of the changes that occur when foods are cooked at the temperature it makes possible. But also, and crucially, the frying medium gives its own taste especially to eggs and potatoes. Breakfast must be cooked in meat fat. Bacon fat is the norm. Po@k fat will do. Goose and duck fat are excellent. Chicken fat is very good too. I like pheasant fat. The conservative kitchen always has plenty of all of these because its cook prepares lots of bacon, geese, and chickens, and keeps the fat. If you do not and thus don't have good fat and won't obtain it any other way, then don't even try to prepare a cooked breakfast. It will be a sham, a lie, a cheat. Eat cardboard instead - for an eternity.

Eggs should be fresh, but their freshness matters much less than their taste, which depends on what the hens or ducks have eaten. Hens and ducks left to range free will eat grass, worms, insects, seeds, and household scraps, including meat fat, which they love. Indeed my hens' eggs used faithfully to remind me of what I had had for dinner two nights before: "Is there a hint of snapper in your egg today, dear? We must have thrown the heads out for the hens." With hens, small eggs are better than big ones: there is more yolk to white. So eat four pullets' eggs rather than two large hens' eggs. Goose eggs make a good serving, about four times a hen's egg. Duck eggs have the best flavor. Turkey eggs are also good. Eggs must never be turned over in the cooking. In this, as in most matters of taste, there is no choice. They should be fried in a lot of fat, which can be spooned over the top to ensure it is hot.
Advertisement

Proper bacon is difficult to obtain in both the U.S. and England. The pre-sliced is cut far too thin. Sliced or not, the modern cures are far too sweet. Worst of all, most bacon contains large amounts of water. When it hits the pan, this gushes out and the bacon steams rather than fries. Moreover the water contains chemicals which stick to the bottom of the pan so that when you fry your eggs after the bacon, the eggs stick to the pan and break. If you can't find good bacon, cure your own. Smoking may be too complicated, but it is not difficult to make uncured bacon in a wet cure of salt, saltpeter, and flavoring. Look up a recipe in any old cookery book. I haven't the time or space. Anyway I can't do everything for you. Use some initiative, for goodness' sake.

But I have described in a previous column how to make your own sausages, and no doubt you are all doing this now. That leaves the potatoes. Always start from scratch. Boil the potatoes in their skins - floury ones if they are to be mashed and fried, firm if they are to be sliced and fried. Let them cool, take off the skins, and fry the potatoes. You might try the modem English version of "bubble and squeak," potatoes mashed with cooked greens and fried and turned again and again for some twenty minutes till it is very reduced and browned in and out. Or the old version which, of course, included leftover roast meat, usually beef.

Toast, I will deal with another day. What passes for it on most tables I am not up to describing now. But what should you drink with breakfast? The Spanish don't have much to teach Anglo-Saxons about what to eat for breakfast, though their tostadas spread with pork fat are all right in an emergency. But you can still see them drinking very large brandies for breakfast. So why not us? We are always being told we live in a multicultural society. Let's start the day the multicultural way.

Last edited by mjrpes on 11-12-2006 05:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 05:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pete wrote:

Cooks are by nature creatures of habit, especially when it comes to eating. For the many years that I have been a chef, breakfast has been a cup of coffee early in the morning, which kept me going until around noon. By that point, I was hungry enough to eat cardboard, to which the staff meal often bore an uncanny resemblance. Lunch was usually wolfed down while standing in the dish room or huddled in a stairwell. It was not a glamorous existence. When I was given a temporary reprieve from the daily routines of restaurant kitchens early last year, I decided to try acting like a civilized person and eat a proper breakfast.

At first I made scrambled eggs and toast every morning, but that was before Alexandra, my fiancée, had me throw away our Teflon pan. An environmental lawyer, she cited the lawsuits, fines and nasty press that DuPont has incurred in connection with its nonstick pans. "DuPont claims its cookware is perfectly safe," she said with the practiced disdain of her profession, "but if the fumes can kill birds when the pans are overheated, then it's probably not good for us either." This from a woman whose dinner conversation often swerves into apocalyptic territory, like the high mercury levels in tuna or how perchlorate from rocket fuel has shown up in organic greens in California.

It is very difficult to win a dispute with someone who argues for a living, and I soon found myself trudging off to the recycling area of our apartment building, pan in hand. My breakfast goal of finding something relatively tasty, fast and easy to clean up was temporarily stymied. Attempts at making scrambled eggs in a regular sauté pan led to crusty egg proteins stuck to the cooking surface, no matter how much fat I used. Eggs fried in a cast-iron pan spattered everywhere - not to mention that fried eggs without bacon just didn't seem right, and nor did bacon as a daily staple. Soft-boiled eggs were far too irritating to peel before coffee, and even the thought of dry, mealy, hard-boiled eggs made me cringe. If I wanted eggs for breakfast, it seemed, I was going to have to poach them.

I started with eggs poached free-form - that is, not in a mold - which I drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with fine sea salt and pepper. The combination of the just-set white and the runny yolk mingling with the oil was pleasurable, but after making them every morning for months, I wanted something more.

Then one day, when Alexandra was away on business, I had an idea for a new way to cook eggs - probably not new to the world, but new to me. It was a little humbling. After more than 20 years of cooking in restaurants, I had clearly failed to master basic egg cookery. I took a moment to ponder this, but then my curiosity got the better of me: what would happen, I wondered, if I beat the eggs before putting them in the water? I expected that they would act much as the intact eggs did and bind quickly, but I did not expect them to set into the lightest, most delicate scrambled eggs imaginable. I became so excited that I immediately reverted to my old ways, eating them standing up in the kitchen.

This method requires a degree of blind faith. After all, pouring cold liquid into hot liquid promises to yield little more than murky yellow water. Following a lot of trial and error, I came to a few basic steps that lead to perfect eggs every time.

The most important factor is using only the thick whites and the yolk. At first I could get this technique to work only with very fresh farmer's-market eggs, whose viscous whites are high in protein (the main bonding agent). As eggs age, the thick part of the white erodes, and the thin, watery part increases, which is why fresh eggs (less than one week old) are best for eating, and older ones are better suited for meringues. This flummoxed me until a quick e-mail message to my friend Harold McGee, the food scientist and author of "On Food and Cooking," solved the problem. He discovered that using supermarket eggs is just fine if you start by cracking each one into a slotted spoon (or sieve) and let the thin white drain away, then work with the remaining thick white and yolk.

Next, beat the eggs with a fork, but don't add salt. (The grains of salt will tear the structure of the eggs, causing them to disintegrate on contact with the water.) Let a covered pot filled with about four inches of water come to a low boil over moderate heat, then remove the cover, add a little salt and stir the water in a clockwise motion. After you've created a mini-whirlpool, gently pour the eggs into the moving liquid, which will allow them to set suspended in the water rather than sink to the bottom of the pot, where they would stick.

Have a strainer ready in the sink. It's helpful to line it with cheesecloth, but I have a hard time strongly advocating something I never do myself. After saying a quick prayer and adding the eggs, cover the pot and count to 20. Almost instantly the eggs will change from translucent to opaque and float to the surface in gossamer ribbons. This all happens very quickly, and by the time you lift the lid, they should be completely cooked.

Tilt the pot over the strainer while holding back the eggs with a spoon, and pour off most of the water. A few bits may escape, but the strainer will catch them. When the rest of the water has drained, gently slide the eggs into the strainer and let them sit there for a minute while you get bowls or remove bread from the toaster. Scoop some eggs into each bowl, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with vibrant green olive oil or melted butter. They're terrific when lightly dusted with smoked paprika or a flavorful chili powder like piment d'Espelette, and they also clean up nicely for Sunday brunch with a spoonful of crème fraîche and a dollop of caviar.

With just a few months to spare before the opening of my new restaurant, I finally perfected the basics - boiling water and cooking eggs. I hope there's still time to work on my roast chicken.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's some fine reading.

Dubuc Coat of Arms
Dubuc Coat of Arms
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 05:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes
Elite
Maaaaaaaan!
Big thanks.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 05:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

You sound like a teacher :olo:

(It's funny cause he is a teacher.)

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:

lol, yeah right.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 05:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
DTS wrote:

lol, yeah right.

I don't get it. Are you mocking me?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-13-2006 02:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

always

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 11-13-2006 02:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
fuck off with these lame 20 questions threads

And on a sidenote, this DTS person appears to be a twat, or at least some sort of humourless prick. Confirm / deny?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-13-2006 02:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fake ultron :(

PostPosted: 11-13-2006 02:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's the real Ultron, just as I remember him. Good man, like lars.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-13-2006 05:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

flakey flakes? :olo:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2006 05:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
He's the real Ultron, just as I remember him. Good man, like lars.

:)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-13-2006 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

who has time to dine for breakfast and if you do you might as well cook it at home and it would taste better

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-13-2006 09:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and is cheaper :icon14:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.