Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Time for a new bike.. help me out lads.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 05:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The edge 500 or the edge 600?

600 has options to turn off/on the suspensions.. stiff or soft.
It also has slightly better suspension(says the dealer..)
Other than that they are almost identical... and its hard-tails and the rims have a double layer for rough pathc/bumps etc..
24 gears, 26" wheels.

The price differance is a little over $200.... and i dont know if its worth getting the 600 when you dont get much more that adjustable suspension..?
The edge 500 is $636 and the 600 is $849

Edge 500
[lvlshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v32/reefsurfer74/edge500.jpg[/lvlshot]

Edge 600
[lvlshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v32/reefsurfer74/edge600.jpg[/lvlshot]

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u reefsurfer...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

who makes the forks?

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
who makes the forks?

The name for them are "SunTour CXP75-LO" dont know if suntour is the company name? :paranoid:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SR Suntour.

unfortunately not particularly notable for their quality... but perhaps that's changed in the past couple of years?

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 07:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you want cheaper but still decent quality bikes, I'd suggest looking at Trek. They aren't anything outstandingly special, but you can usually find some in your price range that don't skimp on components.

For a mix of downhill and street, check out the Alpha series. They usually come with RockShox suspension, which will suit you fine. Above all, go to a bike shop and tool around on some different brands. You'll find there are a lot of really nice bikes that you just won't like riding. I, for one, hate riding Giant, but that doesn't mean they aren't good.

Don't forget that you'll probably want to pay to add some components later, such as toe clips, so factor that into your budget, too.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reefsurfer wrote:
AmIdYfReAk wrote:
who makes the forks?

The name for them are "SunTour CXP75-LO" dont know if suntour is the company name? :paranoid:

no fuck u...

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

werldhed wrote:
If you want cheaper but still decent quality bikes, I'd suggest looking at Trek. They aren't anything outstandingly special, but you can usually find some in your price range that don't skimp on components.

For a mix of downhill and street, check out the Alpha series. They usually come with RockShox suspension, which will suit you fine. Above all, go to a bike shop and tool around on some different brands. You'll find there are a lot of really nice bikes that you just won't like riding. I, for one, hate riding Giant, but that doesn't mean they aren't good.

Don't forget that you'll probably want to pay to add some components later, such as toe clips, so factor that into your budget, too.

Toe clips :icon27: ... ima leave those out.
Yea well thos Trek bikes cant be found in sweden.. where ya from?

Last edited by reefsurfer on 03-29-2005 07:49 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reefsurfer wrote:

fuck u nerd...

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reefsurfer wrote:

Really? I'm in the U.S., but I just assumed that Trek would be available all over Europe. Apparently it's just in select countries.
Huh. :shrug:

I know a lot of people who hate riding with clips. I went without them all my life until I got a new bike two years ago. Now I can't imagine riding without them. They make a ton of difference, especially for downhill.

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

werldhed wrote:

I know a lot of people who hate riding with clips. I went without them all my life until I got a new bike two years ago. Now I can't imagine riding without them. They make a ton of difference, especially for downhill.

I tried clips.. hate them and for the record im not riding downhill.. mostly regular forest paths,gravel and small bumps.
Most pedals today have good spike grips so clips aint really neccesary.
:icon31:

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reefsurfer wrote:
I tried clips.. hate them and for the record im not riding downhill.. mostly regular forest paths,gravel and small bumps.
Most pedals today have good spike grips so clips aint really neccesary.
:icon31:

I like them for going up hills, mostly, and also for unexpected rugged terrain. I also do a lot of long distance road training on my bike, and I find the clips nice for exercising the whole leg at once. But for your use, you're probably right, regular pedals are fine.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 08:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DMR v8s or other 'bmx flat' style pedals excel for general riding, but they are heavy:

Also, you will get a few chunks taken out of your leg at some point with these, but it's worth it.

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's my beast right now, foo's right on most points, you're better off getting a hardtail then a dual suspension bike unless you plan on doing some major off roading, especialy fast offroading IE: downhill.

The hardtails make it so much easier to ride since you expend a lot less energy, I also would get clipless pedals if you can, they are pretty tricky the first week or so you'll own it but after that it's all good and much easier to ride uphills, long distances etc etc... it's overall a much better way to ride even though it can be a bit expensive for the shoes if you buy a nice pair.

I traded in a Giant ATX 990 and a Devinci Enigma for that Kona and I like it but I miss the dual suspension. Foo seems to think it's not that cruicial but I'll be the first to tell you it makes a major difference. I didn't think I'd dislike a hardtail as much as I do cause I got so used to just riding along going off small bumps without having to get my ass off the seat but now that I'm driving hardtail I've quickly learned otherwise. Of course though I've been riding for years, used to race and any small change in a bike I can notice quite easily, if you're more of an intermediate rider you probably wouldn't really notice much diff.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Christ... I just realized this whole time I was talking about clips, I meants to be saying "cleats". I don't know why, either, I fucking hate clips. Clipless, as Kracus said, are the way to go.

"Clips"... what the hell was I on about? :dork:

And if ydnar happens to read this, what is the name of those pedals you have? Those cleatless ones? THOSE are the sex.

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 02:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You might be thinking clipless, they're just a small pedal with clips in them that you have to buy a specific shoe that'll clip into the pedal. Clip pedals are like the ones pictured in the pic I posted with the big clunky crap wrapping around your foot (hate em) and then there's just regular pedals like the ones foo posted. Clipless is teh win.

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The reason clipless pedals are so great btw is because it provides you the ability to put power down on the pedal in all 360 degrees of rotation on each pedal cause you can pull as well as push with your leg on the pedal.

There's two things that make it great, one you get power pushing on the pedal plus the power you get pulling on the pedal with the other leg and everything in between (back and forward) This means you're pedals are working more for you. The second and most important one imho is the smoothness of the rotation, usualy with regular pedals you get two bursts of power (the two downstrokes with each leg) it makes hillclimbing, acceleration and sprints much more effective.

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will probably get the Edge model from crescent the 500 ECT one...
Been to a dealer today and he would give me a certified $50 bike lock and a nice fender in the price aswell.

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make sure he doesn't give you one of those U locks with the small round key to unlock it with. I can unlock one of those locks with a 0.50c bic pen.

I'm serious about this too, don't get one of those locks. Any bike theif knows this.

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh btw these bike locks go for about 50$ so if you think money = quality you're wrong in that dept. The cryptonite locks that I've opened several times costs 75$ and it's just plain crap.

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A little graphical help of what I mean. Worst design EVAR. That lock will open with that pen if you know how to do it. ;)

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok kewl... now i know.
The bike will be in my apartment ALWAYS.. so only time i have to worry is when im in town and have it locked... usually thats in the day time though.

Cowboys in '05
Cowboys in '05
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

get a cyclocross bike, used off of ebay for your price range. i've got a Kona Jake the Snake, best $1000 i've ever spent on a bike. it can handle everything but the most ridiculous technical stuff, so it sounds like its what you need

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it doesn't take long to steal a bike, trust me. I NEVER leave my bike behind, if I go to a mall I bring the bike with me, everywhere I go. If I can't bring it with me I won't go there, I don't even have a bike lock anymore cause I just don't trust them. Luckily I know so many people around the city that I can usualy find a safe spot for it while I do my running around if I need to (although I'd usualy just take the car if I was going out to do errands.)

Either way, I strongly suggest you follow my moto of never leaving the bike behind. The only time I ever almost had my bike stolen was when I parked it in front of a gas station door so I could pop in to buy a bottle of water, some kid jumped on my bike and took right off (I hadn't locked it)

Fortunately some guy was just leaving the gas station and saw what happened and told me to hop in. We drove up behind the guy who thought he was in the clear and buddy had a 2x4 lying in his backseat that I had in my hands. We did a drive by clubing. :icon19:

I stuck myself out the window of the car and smoked buddy off my bike with the 2x4, he wasn't in the greatest shape afterwards.

anyway, be very careful leaving a bike behind. I've seen trucks load up whole bike racks before too instead of picking locks, they just steal the whole rack with all the bikes pop it in a truck and take off.

Cowboys in '05
Cowboys in '05
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

boo, i'm too late :( but listen to people when they say to get some clipless pedals- i've got a set of Candy SL's by crankbros. they've got the traditional eggbeater 4-way clip in that is so popular with mountainbikers (they don't clog...ever) freely rotating in the middle of a small pedal (so you don't have to always be clipped in if you wanna just take it down the road or whatnot without getting your gear on)

Cowboys in '05
Cowboys in '05
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

man, now you've got me itching to go for a ride...but its 7pm already and dark out :p

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus dishing out some lead pipe justice again. He should have his own TV show.

Cowboys in '05
Cowboys in '05
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[lvlshot]http://www.konaworld.com/Prod/000000220/2K4_JaketheSnake_1300%20xl.jpg[/lvlshot]

my baby :D

edit: lvlshot

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
Kracus dishing out some lead pipe justice again. He should have his own TV show.

for the record.... oh wait, I was gonna say that was the first time I beat someone with any type of "pipe" but I guess I'd be wrong cause the first time was this guy that shot me with a bb gun, I broke his gun... by hitting him with it.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 04:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:
You might be thinking clipless, they're just a small pedal with clips in them that you have to buy a specific shoe that'll clip into the pedal. Clip pedals are like the ones pictured in the pic I posted with the big clunky crap wrapping around your foot (hate em) and then there's just regular pedals like the ones foo posted. Clipless is teh win.

Yeah, clipless is what I was talking about. I meant to say he (reefsurfer) should factor in extra costs like buying cleats for his pedals, but I kept saying clips without thinking about it. Clip pedals suck ass. Clipless are great. Because I use my bike for offroad AND everyday errands, I've got some reversible Shimano M324s , so I can used them with or without cleated shoes.

The pedals that ydnar uses that I was trying to remember are clipless AND cleatless... It's like a solid piece of metal that fits into a recess in the shoe. There are no springs to clog up or anything. They're nice, but I can't remember what they're called. :icon8:

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 04:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:
Yeah, it doesn't take long to steal a bike, trust me. I NEVER leave my bike behind, if I go to a mall I bring the bike with me, everywhere I go. If I can't bring it with me I won't go there, I don't even have a bike lock anymore cause I just don't trust them. Luckily I know so many people around the city that I can usualy find a safe spot for it while I do my running around if I need to (although I'd usualy just take the car if I was going out to do errands.)

Dude, relax... first off, i live in a small town(100.000 people) so i know alot of people and secondly, its just a bike and $700 isent all that, third, i got insurance.

What you´re doing sounds like a bad case of paranoia :icon27:

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Perhaps he is, but he's right about those U-shaped locks. It's well known how to break into them, so don't use them.

edit: I've got a regular Kryptonite cord, which has not failed me and, afaik, isn't easily removed.

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reefsurfer wrote:
Kracus wrote:

Dude, relax... first off, i live in a small town(100.000 people) so i know alot of people and secondly, its just a bike and $700 isent all that, third, i got insurance.

What you´re doing sounds like a bad case of paranoia :icon27:

Well my bike at the time cost me 4,000$ so yeah I might be a bit more paranoid. However, the city where it happened there wasn't 100,000 people.

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 05:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:
4,000$.

JESUS!
For that amount of money for a bike you must be a professional biker of some sort... no one spends that much on a bike.

I will settle for my $700 bike and i dont have to be paranoid.

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used to race across Canada. I raced pro races as an amateur and I raced in a league type of thing for 2 years. It was definitely fun but expensive, that summer I spent well over 6g's on various bike equipment but it was well worth it, I had a good run and I even managed to beat out a few good racers that were sponsored by pretty big bike company's. At the time I had dreams of making the Canada team but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. I did do quite well though even getting a few 1st place finishes in about a half a dozen dual slolom events.

fun times. :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.