Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So, what games are you playing now?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So, what games are you playing now?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-28-2017 09:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone into this Cuphead hype?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-28-2017 10:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Star Trek Bridge Crew and Resi 7

This VR shit is really sommat else

You got VR Chunk?
Oculus or Vive?

Bridge Crew is great, but the real standouts for me so far have been Superhot VR and Lone Echo. And for group play, while Bridge Crew is pretty funny (at times it's more Thunderbirds than Trek), Rec Room is ace.

Ooo, and Thumper's pretty damn cool in VR too.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-28-2017 10:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Anyone into this Cuphead hype?

I feel it's riding too much on the artstyle than anything else.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-28-2017 10:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’m feeling the same. The art does look great, and I love the 30s vibe, but the gameplay looks like every other shooter of this genre...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 11:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will be picking up Cuphead later on :up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-30-2017 12:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm playing Elite again but got to more or less start again on PC. Will let Quake Live too and i want something i can play when i'm away with work to pass time, something like a dungeon scroller type shit.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 12:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
ditto. the whole aesthetic doesn't seem to have any considered point to any of it, bar want of bouncy olde-timey cartoon looky-likeyness, with big goofy grins on everything and a screen distortion filter.

why is his head being cup even a thing, when he just shoots lasers from his fingers? hardly Dynamite Heady, or Decap Attack character design is it :|

It's brilliant...fucking difficult though. Not one for the kids despite the cartoony looks. Requires many of the skills.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 12:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:rolleyes:

It's good fun, quite hard and looks brilliant; it's has a unique visual appeal, just as many other games before it has had. I don't know anything about the journo not being able to complete the tutorial...I actually don't know how you can fail it. But it's good that you have such a strong and warranted opinion of it based off...absolutely nothing.

Come back to me once you've bothered to play it (just like Overwatch). Until then your opinion on the game means nothing.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 02:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Divinity local coop looks cool. You can play together or just go off and do your own thing. It’s one screen when you’re close to each other, then it’ll automatically split when you walk away from each other...

Yeah. Be wary though that this is not a hold-your-hand kind of rpg and you *can* fuck up entire questlines by pissing off the wrong people.

So 'do your own thing' comes with a certain responsibility :toothy:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 02:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I personally think Bioshock 2's the best in the series. And that's without having played the Minerva's Den DLC, which is apparently even better than the main game.

Just obliterated the last percent of the game.
Ehhhh not sure if I liked it as much. tbh I couldn't give a fuck about Eleanor, and being told that I must get back to her asap even though there was no direct reason for me to so - do as a player I mean - didn't help either.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally finished Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Rise of the Tomb Raider, started Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

Games just don't feel as much fun as they used to for me :shrug:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 02:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
xer0s wrote:
Divinity local coop looks cool. You can play together or just go off and do your own thing. It’s one screen when you’re close to each other, then it’ll automatically split when you walk away from each other...

Yeah. Be wary though that this is not a hold-your-hand kind of rpg and you *can* fuck up entire questlines by pissing off the wrong people.

So 'do your own thing' comes with a certain responsibility :toothy:

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll try to keep an eye on her ;)

I didn’t realize this was a turn-based RPG until we started playing. It’s the first turn-based RPG I’ve played, so it’s a little slow to say the least. Does the action pick up once you gain levels? Is there not a way to pick your attack before it’s your turn? It seems like that would speed things up a bit if you could already be ready to go when your turn comes...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

got Just Cause 3 the better version for PC but for some reason just dont feel the excitement of playing

it's not a number cruncher like PoE, maybe that's why, and i'm old ?

back to PoE

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 04:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:
Games just don't feel as much fun as they used to for me :shrug:

to be fair, Rise was pretty shit.

It was definitely a step down from the previous one. Not a fan of the new character at all tbh, she has no personality or attitude. Gameplay was pretty glitchy and enemies got boring. I'll take big, scary beasts and mythological creatures over a bunch of generic mercenaries anytime. Croft Manor DLC brought back some nostalgia but it was far too small and enclosed. It was way better in Legend & Anniversary, but then again those games were pretty superior to these ones.

Also there seems to be an alarming trend of games making underwater sections safe and relaxing. I remember in classic Tomb Raiders you'd be afraid of jumping in the murky water because you just knew there was something in there that would eat you. This was a big issue for me with Skyrim too and Witcher 3 is disappointingly similar.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 11:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
The entire thing just reeks of overhypedness

Maybe it's just me, but I hadn't heard of it until I saw it mentioned in this thread :shrug:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I didn’t realize this was a turn-based RPG until we started playing. It’s the first turn-based RPG I’ve played, so it’s a little slow to say the least. Does the action pick up once you gain levels? Is there not a way to pick your attack before it’s your turn? It seems like that would speed things up a bit if you could already be ready to go when your turn comes...

Seeing how the battlefield can change on each turn, no that's not possible (nor preferable).
Battles are a game on it's own and get extremely brutal. Encountering two measly skeletons can still go awry if careless. The upside is that every win really feels like an accomplishment. :up:

There's more to this game than grinding enemies for XP. Better yet I think you can get more XP by doing noncombat quests, at least in the first few areas. Noncombat does not mean fetch quests or anything you don't need your characters skills for btw. For instance the boatfire can be solves by using a Rain spell if you have it. Or just let the thing burn and open up a whole new set of quests that way.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 03:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shit, I saw the fire and didn’t think to do anything. I’ll have to go back and see what happened.

I’m sure I’ll get used to the combat. It just feels slow because I’m new to it...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 05:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To be honest, the introductory town in DOS is notoriously slow and badly paced in regards to how it dishes out XP. It gets significantly better after that. But I can see the start putting a lot of people off.

The second game's got a much better first act, but it definitely has its own problems. Not least of which is the stupid stat inflation later on in the game making gear only good for one level at best.

To be honest, I'm getting more and more behind the idea of traditional levels being a bad thing for RPGs. Take out the dramatic damage and hitpoint increases per level and just expand the options available to players on level-up instead, and I think you'll have a much better system than in most RPGs.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 05:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'Bounded accuracy' is what the latest edition of D&D calls it ^

Quote:
Furthermore, gaining levels grants the characters new capabilities, which go much farther toward making your character feel different than simple numerical increases.

[edit] or should I say <

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 11:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to try D3. Hook me up with gamertags ppl

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 01:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:
:rolleyes:

It's good fun, quite hard and looks brilliant; it's has a unique visual appeal, just as many other games before it has had. I don't know anything about the journo not being able to complete the tutorial...I actually don't know how you can fail it. But it's good that you have such a strong and warranted opinion of it based off...absolutely nothing.

Come back to me once you've bothered to play it (just like Overwatch). Until then your opinion on the game means nothing.

knows i'm right, ya hype-marketer's target monkey. you'll play it a few times then never again :|

Keep playing them Dark Souls, bro :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 08:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Souls is great, I've enjoyed every one. Really sad they aren't making any more.

I've been playing Fortnite lately, what a fun little game. The battle Royal mode is awesome, 100 people on fairly large island and last one alive wins. It's a lot of fun and free on xbox anyway.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is it as salty and elitist as pubg?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 10:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's no chat lol so probably not. They're quick games though. Hit me up if you get it so I can try a team game.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 03:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah sounds like dark souls. I want more of that. Except the dying part. Git gud scrub.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 02:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the look of PUBR. Bit like life in the US?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 11:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
helped by a shitty journalist going viral by failing at a tutorial :|

Jesus fucking Christ :dork:

Last edited by Don Carlos on 10-05-2017 05:09 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-05-2017 04:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

PUBG you mean? Fortnite is basically the same thing except with more polish. I've been playing teams with friends lately and teams is even more fun than solo.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-05-2017 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Memphis wrote:

video won't play. Says it's not available.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-05-2017 05:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fixed :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-05-2017 05:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Memphis wrote:

Not my cup of tea... heheheh, but seriously, that game looks amazing in terms of its art style.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-05-2017 05:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

PUBG you mean? Fortnite is basically the same thing except with more polish. I've been playing teams with friends lately and teams is even more fun than solo.

If i get it can we bro up?

Its free? :offended:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-05-2017 05:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, anyone better at Q3 than me is fine lol. I'm not sure how the servers work in fortnite though, they may be location based even though my connection to EU servers is probably as good as NA servers. FortniteBR is the game you want to get, free download. Pretty addictive game honestly, I can't wait till you can customize your character though and a few other bugs they need fixing.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-08-2017 04:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://steamed.kotaku.com/cuphead-as-t ... 1819195856

The last review is absolutely perfect. Sums it up beautifully.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2017 11:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Games that are hard but fair are few and far between these days. Dark Souls might be an example (although I've died so many times in utterly lame ways in my 3 hours of experience with DS1 that I do question the fairness of Dark Souls).

A perfect example is Teslagrad. Its boss fights area notoriously difficult but I loved each and every one of them because every time I failed, it was obvious as to why I had failed. I was accountable for every failure. It was always a preventable mistake I had made or an error in judging/timing some attack.

However, the reason why so few games are made these days is because of the whiny brats that keep bitching about how hard it is. On the Steam forums, there's a thread about Teslagrad that's filled with nothing people whining about how the bosses are too hard. Well, grow a pair you bunch of sissies.

Having said that, I realize it's extremely hard for a game to balance on this fine line between being challenging without being frustrating. And that line might be in a different place for every individual.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.