Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Question for Brits in and around London

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Question for Brits in and around London

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm coming over and invading you bastards this summer.

Week of July 18th I'll be over there to make fun of your teeth and hopefully even check out some of this shitty beer you're always bragging about. It's a vacation, no work involved, so I'll get to enjoy all the sights and sounds I like.

I'll get around to asking about the best spots to check out a little later, but we're making all the travel arrangements right now, and I wanted to ask a question.

Looking at travel packages and such, it seems that all the hotels in London are extremely expensive, and they all look like massive castles and resorts. I don't want to spend loads on the place I'm staying, so I can reserve my money for the things I want to do.
So, are there any nice hotels in or near London that are fairly inexpensive to stay in? There will only be the two of us, and it doesn't need to be anything extravagant -- we want a place with all the creature comforts and ameneties, but we don't plan on spending a lot of time in our hotel room, so we just want it to be a nice place to sleep, shower and maybe have a good breakfast in the mornings. Definitely nothing seedy though, or in a bad part of town.

So can any of you inselaffen help a brother out here? :icon32:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check into the bed and breakfast places, they may be more what you're looking for. Might be difficult to get a room now, this close to your planned vacation date though.

http://www.londonbb.com/cata.html

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my advice is to stay away from europe...its even worse then jamaca...its like a big trash can over there...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

in other words, geoff has never been to europe and therefore has no idea what it's like

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just bunk with chunk/memph/carla

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
stay away from europe...its even worse then jamaca...

wise words

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been to Germany, Austria and Switzerland before and I loved it. I've never been to Britain though, and I've always wanted to go.

I've got money set aside, and I'm going this summer, come hell or high water. :)

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:

If it was just me going, I would sure as hell ask them. :icon32:

Going with a girlie though; not sure she'd be up for crashing at a bachelor pad the whole time - although one or two nights may be doable. :paranoid:

She's also got a couple friends over there already, so we may have places to stay if we absolutely need to.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 11:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
Check into the bed and breakfast places, they may be more what you're looking for. Might be difficult to get a room now, this close to your planned vacation date though.

http://www.londonbb.com/cata.html

Really, even 3 and a half months in advance? :o!

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh and I'm really, really hoping I can manage a one-day trip over to Amsterdam while I'm in the general area as well. I guess I'd have to take a plane over there and back though, since a ferry or something would probably take too much time. :paranoid:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure, you'll just have to try...

did you check some of those places?

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not yet, I'm looking around the site now.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

from what i read on that website, availability won't be a big issue. ignore me

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, the way it sounds they're extremely flexible even on fairly short notice as long as you're not too picky.

Thanks for the link man, I think this is going to be pretty helpful. :icon14:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:

Yea but they are all in Wales which is a few hundred miles away :p.

Drum and sys0p live in london, so it may be better to ask them advice on the place.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 02:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:

were 150 miles from london matey :)

were in the country next door

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also try a B&B ? cant advise on any but thats what me and my mates always do when we go to cornwall/blackpool/brighton n shite :D

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:

Hey, arent ya in prison?
And who will yer bunk mates be? Ben dover? :lol: i crack myself up :lol:

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stay in a B&B, they're pretty cheap. If you want to go really cheap, get one in a cheap area and use the tube for travelling. A B&B in Peckham or Camberwell would be fucking peanuts. You could get one in Brixton as well, they're REALLY cheap. There's one on Josephine Avenue, it's run by two faggots.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 09:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks man. :icon14:

It seems we've run into a little snag though. I priced flights over there 2 days ago on expedia, and they were $500 a piece round trip. I'm looking at them today, and can't find one for less than $1000.
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what, but we aren't going to go if $2000 of our cash is spent just on air fare.

We may be vacationing somewhere a little closer if that's the best they can do, but I really had my heart set on London. >:E

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 10:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

London....pfffffffft....Wales is the way forward son.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 12:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
my advice is to stay away from europe...its even worse then jamaca...its like a big trash can over there...

because eruope, much like jamaica, is 1 country :dork:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
I've been to Germany, Austria and Switzerland before and I loved it. I've never been to Britain though, and I've always wanted to go.

I've got money set aside, and I'm going this summer, come hell or high water. :)

youve been to germany yet you never tried dutcholand

shame, sir :E

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

by the way rook, from what I understand, it's easy to get to Amsterdam/Rotterdam by ferry. It's much closer than you'd think.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
London....pfffffffft....Wales is the way forward son.

thought you lot only went as far as cardiff in your wildest dreams :)

PostPosted: 03-30-2005 06:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
by the way rook, from what I understand, it's easy to get to Amsterdam/Rotterdam by ferry. It's much closer than you'd think.

aye, but it takes bloody ages - quicker to jump on a plane to schipol. then you only have a few hours in queues sandwiching getting squished onto a tiny airbus instead of a few hours in queues sandwiching a few hours on a shitty-smelling ferry.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 07:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, with all the lines and traffic, you're saying it probably takes just as long either way you do it?

If it's not a lot of time difference, I'd probably rather ride the ferry just for the scenery and not being stuffed in a plane the whole way - especially after that long-ass flight over the pond.

At any rate, if I can't find cheaper tickets I'm going to be fucked out of going regardless. :(

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 07:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bring limes to throw at passers by.

PostPosted: 03-30-2005 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the plane would be faster by a few hours (at least on the blighty side) - and rotterdam is an utter shithole - so if you can find a cheap flight then go for it.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 07:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'd go by plane
i went to england by ferry a few times. once by plane and it beat the hell out of the fucking tedious trip & preperation that is the ferry

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
and rotterdam is an utter shithole

:D :icon14:

You hear that saturn? The honest respectable opinion of a neutral foreign person.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 08:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sys0p wrote:
There's one on Josephine Avenue, it's run by two faggots.

Must be a common occurance. I stayed in a b&b in Florence run by two faggots. Was nice and clean though.. :lol:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.