Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        sweet cable modem upgrade...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: sweet cable modem upgrade...

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 02:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was wondering what was up... yesterday shit was going hella faster than before... i was like, hmm.. my downloads are going at 600KB/s ... thats interesting..
get an email today, they upped my speeds to 6mbps down/ 768kbps up.
now i gotta go get my p0rn on.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 02:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is unrelated, but I love the gamer kids who buy 6MBps lines over 3MBps lines because they think they're going to get better response time in games. (Or as they call it, ping, even though ping is the related verb.)

Idiots.

I recently upgraded my modem. Previously I was on an older DOCSIS 1.1 modem, and I was getting anywhere between 4 and 5MBps. Instantly after upgrading, I saw speeds increase by over 1MBps, and I've even hit close to 7MBps on a line that is only supposed to get 5MBps.

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 05:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep, you're a retard

PostPosted: 04-02-2005 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

btw:

Grudge wrote:
I knew a guy just like rep in high school. He was a fat bastard who continuously was bragging about how fucking great he was. If anyone ever bought anything, like a new cd-player or a pair of sneakers, he instantly declared that it was shit, and that he owned something much better and more expensive. But no one in the class had ever been to his place to see all his awesome stuff, and as far as anyone knows, no one had , because the guy didn't have any friends, which is no wonder since he was such a cunt.

So, if someone ever had done something fun, he had always done something much cooler and more awesome. An example; when everyone was getting their drivers licenses (driving age is 18 here) we were often talking about it in between classes and so. We were talking about driving lessons we'd had and stuff like that. When the guy heard us talk about that he always dreamed up some freak story about him driving his uncle's Porsche 911 and almost crashing with a police car or something stupid like that. Everyone knew that he hadn't driven any car at all, that there was no way his fucking uncle had a 911 - he probably didn't even have an uncle.

The thing is that we were all laughing at this fucking clown, and repeatedly told him that he was a fucking retard, but he still continued dreaming up shit like that and acting like an arrogant asshole. No wonder he didn't have any friends, and probably cried himself to sleep every night, wondering why no one liked him.

So, why am I telling you this little story? I guess everyone probably knows some guy just like that. Well, rep is exactly like this guy, fuck if I didn't know rep wasn't Swedish I'd say that he'd had to be the same guy. Is that you, Johan Landahl?

PostPosted: 04-02-2005 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

&&&&&

Banned
Banned
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:
btw:

Grudge wrote:
I knew a guy just like rep in high school. He was a fat bastard who continuously was bragging about how fucking great he was. If anyone ever bought anything, like a new cd-player or a pair of sneakers, he instantly declared that it was shit, and that he owned something much better and more expensive. But no one in the class had ever been to his place to see all his awesome stuff, and as far as anyone knows, no one had , because the guy didn't have any friends, which is no wonder since he was such a cunt.

So, if someone ever had done something fun, he had always done something much cooler and more awesome. An example; when everyone was getting their drivers licenses (driving age is 18 here) we were often talking about it in between classes and so. We were talking about driving lessons we'd had and stuff like that. When the guy heard us talk about that he always dreamed up some freak story about him driving his uncle's Porsche 911 and almost crashing with a police car or something stupid like that. Everyone knew that he hadn't driven any car at all, that there was no way his fucking uncle had a 911 - he probably didn't even have an uncle.

The thing is that we were all laughing at this fucking clown, and repeatedly told him that he was a fucking retard, but he still continued dreaming up shit like that and acting like an arrogant asshole. No wonder he didn't have any friends, and probably cried himself to sleep every night, wondering why no one liked him.

So, why am I telling you this little story? I guess everyone probably knows some guy just like that. Well, rep is exactly like this guy, fuck if I didn't know rep wasn't Swedish I'd say that he'd had to be the same guy. Is that you, Johan Landahl?

Lol

That story reminds me of this kid in school who claimed to have 2 NESs, I always wonder why he'd need 2 in the same house...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

duh....cable upgrades are happening like everywhere
but dont get too comfortable....last i heard this is only one step forward to a entirely different bandwidth tier-price system that will ofcourse be less beneficial to us users

One Sweet Mullet
One Sweet Mullet
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mik0rs wrote:
Grudge wrote:
long text...

Lol

That story reminds me of this kid in school who claimed to have 2 NESs, I always wonder why he'd need 2 in the same house...[/quote]

there was a kid in my elementary school who was bragging about his NES game collection. we were talking about how we got like Zelda 2 for Christmas one year or something like that- and he goes off tells us that he owns over 300 NES titles. his parents were richer than most- but still... no one really liked the guy (except to hang out at his place to play his massive game collection)

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stocktroll wrote:
duh....cable upgrades are happening like everywhere
but dont get too comfortable....last i heard this is only one step forward to a entirely different bandwidth tier-price system that will ofcourse be less beneficial to us users

yeah, i think its the cable company trying to snuff out DSL.
since ADSL can't compete with the raw bandwidth of fiber backed cable.
but its all pretty relative, since once ETTH and FTTH really gets going its all over. (ethernet to the home and fiber to the home for those not in the acronym fan club)

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 09:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:
This is unrelated, but I love the gamer kids who buy 6MBps lines over 3MBps lines because they think they're going to get better response time in games. (Or as they call it, ping, even though ping is the related verb.)

Most ISPs (I work for one) give their premium subscribers a much better QoS (Quality of Service) so yes, your in-game ping will go down.

rep wrote:
I recently upgraded my modem. Previously I was on an older DOCSIS 1.1 modem, and I was getting anywhere between 4 and 5MBps. Instantly after upgrading, I saw speeds increase by over 1MBps, and I've even hit close to 7MBps on a line that is only supposed to get 5MBps.

Yup. Older modems often have trouble dealing with current line speeds. If anyone here still has a COM21, go bugger your ISP for a replacement.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 09:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember when I first got mine. I was in a test market, 1998. Basically no limits. Threw a hub on the cable modem and everyone got their own public IP. 10 Mbit down and 1.5 Mbit up. I think we are finally approaching those days again.
I got called an LPB quite a bit in those days. :cool:

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 12:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
I remember when I first got mine. I was in a test market, 1998. Basically no limits. Threw a hub on the cable modem and everyone got their own public IP. 10 Mbit down and 1.5 Mbit up. I think we are finally approaching those days again.
I got called an LPB quite a bit in those days. :cool:

sounds like the old-school lancity modems.
pre-docsis, those things were sweet.
10mpbs up and down; + due to the design of the heat sheild on it, it doubled as a letter file. :icon26:

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
rep wrote:

Most ISPs (I work for one) give their premium subscribers a much better QoS (Quality of Service) so yes, your in-game ping will go down.

rep wrote:

Yup. Older modems often have trouble dealing with current line speeds. If anyone here still has a COM21, go bugger your ISP for a replacement.

no it wont.
trust me, i've made boot files for a cable ISP; and more than just answering the phone. premium packages only increases the caps, every modem still uses the same copper, the same fiber, the same routers and head-end. (CMTS if you want fancy talk)
upping your BANDWIDTH will not effect your LATENCY.
two completely different concepts. :dork:
increasing your download from 3mbps to 10mbps will have zero latency difference.
the only time upping your service will make your ping better is if you had one of those "light" packages (i know the ISPs i've worked for both offered one at some point), which is a cable modem capped at 56-128k and costs about as much as dial-up.
then you will experience bad ping due to line saturation... but when you're talking about caps in the Mbps range... it makes fuck-all difference in your ping if you're on a super-premiere-gold package.

oh, and com21 modems don't have problems with new line speeds, they have problems because they were shitty modems from day 1.
all modems since docsis 1.0 (and even pre-docsis) are capabile of handling 10mps up and down.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 01:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dr_Watson wrote:
no it wont. [...] upping your BANDWIDTH will not effect your LATENCY.

Re-read my previous post. It's not bandwidth that'll reduce network latency, it's the QoS, i.e. the priority the head-end/local node assigns to your packets. A decent ISP also ups the latter if you migrate to a faster (and more expensive) package.

Dr_Watson wrote:
oh, and com21 modems don't have problems with new line speeds, they have problems because they were shitty modems from day 1.

True, true. That's my point: if you have a fast connection but are still stuck with a COM21, get a replacement or you ain't getting your money's worth.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 03:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck off Grudge, you fucking nerd.

I said I had an old and crappy modem, and upgraded to the newest and got stable and fast speeds. How is that bragging?

What a nerd.

One Sweet Mullet
One Sweet Mullet
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

out of curiosity, why is my downstream now 4 Mbit/sec and my upstream is still a measly 256 Kbit/sec? i don't see how my cable company could be any more stingy. :icon33:

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
Dr_Watson wrote:
no it wont. [...] upping your BANDWIDTH will not effect your LATENCY.

Re-read my previous post. It's not bandwidth that'll reduce network latency, it's the QoS, i.e. the priority the head-end/local node assigns to your packets. A decent ISP also ups the latter if you migrate to a faster (and more expensive) package.

packet scheduling actually slows down the network once it reaches the size of a cable network.
I highly doubt its being implemented by any major isp in any sort of serious capacity.
maybe in small rich areas where they've just upgraded to a new CMTS and don't have 10,000+ modems going into it.
i'd wager that 90% of the time all that’s being implemented for QoS
is bandwidth capping.
to implement anything else causes such an immense CPU load and bottleneck at the CMTS that its just not feasible for a heavy head-end.
i've poked around on some Cisco and Arris CMTSes and seen the traffic that goes through them. its not uncommon to see thousands of modems. Consider that packet traffic, and then consider you turn on packet filtering, prioritizing all that traffic will actually slow it down... its faster to just push it through on a first come first served basis.
unless you can show me some sort of contract that has it in writing that a premier cable service is giving out packet priorities... i'll never believe it. It just doesn't make logical sense from a networking or business standpoint to do that... especially since even if it was implemented and working optimally, you'd only see *maybe* a 1-3ms ping difference in a game.
distance is the enemy of ping, and always will be the chief factor in latency issues. packet scheduling only makes sense on local networks.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sirstrongbad wrote:
out of curiosity, why is my downstream now 4 Mbit/sec and my upstream is still a measly 256 Kbit/sec? i don't see how my cable company could be any more stingy. :icon33:

if you're area has an older cable plant it won't be able to support high upload.
the docsis 1.1 spec was very stingy on the frequency allocation for the upload channel. which is the *real* reason cable modems have had shit upload until 2002+
it just wasn't possible to offer high upload to enough customers to make money.
in docsis 2.0 thought, the upstream band was widened significantly (i think 2-3x its old capacity... not sure though, i haven’t read the RFC in a few years)
i think that’s why my caps got upped the other day... coincidentally my cable was off for a few hours a couple days before the speed increase.
i know for a fact my area had an old ass POS CMTS running the show... they must have finally got tired of putting band-aids on the old girl and put in a shiny new server. then turned up the juice.

at any rate... patience is your friend.
your area probably needs hardware/software upgrades to support any speed increases.
(fyi, i was @ 4meg down 256k up until a few days ago)

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 08:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dr_Watson wrote:
packet scheduling actually slows down the network once it reaches the size of a cable network.
I highly doubt its being implemented by any major isp in any sort of serious capacity.
maybe in small rich areas where they've just upgraded to a new CMTS and don't have 10,000+ modems going into it.

I see your point but in my (rather small and rather rich) country about every cable-ISP does it. Admittedly there are only just a few hundred modems at max attached to a local node, often a lot less.

Dr_Watson wrote:
distance is the enemy of ping, and always will be the chief factor in latency issues. packet scheduling only makes sense on local networks.

Bleh. Only partially true. Good routing makes a helluva difference for response times.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 08:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you guys know any tricks to make my 14.4 faster?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BEVIS wrote:
Do you guys know any tricks to make my 14.4 faster?

Yeah, throw it away and get a better modem. :icon26:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.