Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        HELP PLEASE!!!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: HELP PLEASE!!!

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it possible to play quake 1 on windows xp professional edition, im pretty good with computers but i cant figure out how to get it to work, is quake 1 strictly a DOS game, if so DAMNIT microsoft put DOS back in ur next windows edition!!

Ive tried dosbox i installed it, i get it to play (almost) then it just sits there saying 14meg image or somethin like that, then GLquake i have to have somethin to run it that isnt free, i tried winquake, extracted all the files, click all the icons that could start it, screen flashes then goes back to xp, or an alert box comes up and says it cant load some file

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07-03-2005 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No caps in GD please :tear:

You messed up the harmony.

visual prowess
visual prowess

try winquake, works good for me (xp mce 2005)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 07:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Buy the Ultimate Quake box with Quake, Q2 and Q3A in it. It works flawlessly on both SP1 and 2 for me. And if you want to play online, search for eQuake.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 07:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuhquake is a really nice opengl client. And the bots can destroy you before you can even blink. :/

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, you could try a program called "DOSBox", it emulates DOS under windows so all your games and dos applications work again

PostPosted: 07-03-2005 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glossy wrote:
also, you could try a program called "DOSBox", it emulates DOS under windows so all your games and dos applications work again

he wrote that he tried dosbox

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 11:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

okay, rereading it a couple of times i do notice that he tried dosbox. but honestly, i really can't decypher what most of that last paragraph is supposed to mean... i can extract minimal information from it, and most of his problems are listed as "says it cant load some file" or "or somethin like that"

some people don't deserve help :(

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Fuhquake is a really nice opengl client. And the bots can destroy you before you can even blink. :/

GL and Quake were never meant to be. Quake just looks so much prettier on the software engine when running it at the resolution it was most likely intended for (640 x 480?)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 12:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
Like the poor.

now you've got the idea !

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 12:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it's the glide dll file thing. You have to remove a file named opengl32.dll (or something like that) in the Quake folder, otherwise the game thinks you're using an old Voodoo card.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.