Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        that pete thread actually made me think (SHOCKING)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: that pete thread actually made me think (SHOCKING)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if we drilled a hole straight through the earth and you fell in it, what would happen, would you go so quick that you come hurdling out the otherside and into space, or would you get to the middle and stop dead or would you just bob back and fore either side till you eventually stopped ?

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hole would collapse because of gravity.

But if it was stable enough, I think the bobbing thing would apply.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 10:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Assuming the liquid magma and core problems were overcome? You would still be crushed by the earth's gravity at the centre of the earth.

Also apparently there are petting zoos and stuff down there. You know, for the kids.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah pressure would do u in...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ahhhhh

but what if you wore a super dooper suite which was all like HELL YEAH IM HARDCORE AND I CAN TAKE ANYTHING THATS THROWN AT ME

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
ahhhhh

but what if you wore a super dooper suite which was all like HELL YEAH IM HARDCORE AND I CAN TAKE ANYTHING THATS THROWN AT ME

Then I guess YOU CAN TAKE ANYTHING THATS TRHOWN AT YOU no?

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 10:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Assuming the liquid magma and core problems were overcome? You would still be crushed by the earth's gravity at the centre of the earth.

Actually, at the center gravity is zero.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

the gravity is essentially zero at the centre of the earth - you'd be pulled away from the centre in all directions, resulting in a net force of zero (since all the force cancels out).

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 10:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

too slow :p

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck me!

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you dropped a bowling ball down into the hole it would fall straight through the earth, slow down at the same height you dropped it (but on the other side of the planet), fall back and do this forever....providing there's a vacuum.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 04-04-2005 11:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you got rid of the messy molten rock and extremely high temperatures and other obstacles, i imagine you would fly straight through to the other side, then come right back, each trip getting shorter and shorter until you eventually stopped dead right in the center. that's assuming you took a perfectly straight line to the exact center of gravity.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
fuck me!

no thank you

Last edited by Eraser on 04-04-2005 11:01 AM, edited 1 time in total.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
If you dropped a bowling ball down into the hole it would fall straight through the earth, slow down at the same height you dropped it (but on the other side of the planet), fall back and do this forever.

maybe in a vacuum?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
Foo wrote:

the gravity is essentially zero at the centre of the earth - you'd be pulled away from the centre in all directions, resulting in a net force of zero (since all the force cancels out).

Yeah, you're right.

In part.

Now I think on it, the gravitational pull tugging you apart would be many times greater than the gravitational pull you experience on the surface, since you're surrounded in all possible directions by mass as opposed to when you're on the surface, where you have about 1 out of 6 general directions in which mass is present.

So you'd be killed by the forces ripping you apart.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's impossible to do that - your anus would continually scrape against the side of the rock as you're falling down, causing so much pain that you'd swallow your tongue and die.

So it wouldn't be you that goes up and down forever, it would just be the body that was you.

Last edited by [xeno]Julios on 04-04-2005 11:30 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You'd probably want to drill down the axis of rotation as well. If you didn't, the ball would bang against the side of the tunnel as it fell because the linear feet moved per degree of angular motion decreases as you get closer to the center. The ball's inertia would keep it going straight, which would cause it to hit the walls of the tunnel.

Last edited by Fender on 04-04-2005 11:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dammit, this time I was too slow :mad:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I scrape the sides and bottom out all the time.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Yeah, you're right.

In part.

Now I think on it, the gravitational pull tugging you apart would be many times greater than the gravitational pull you experience on the surface, since you're surrounded in all possible directions by mass as opposed to when you're on the surface, where you have about 1 out of 6 general directions in which mass is present.

Wrong.

Found a post that basically says what I/R00k already did:
Posted by Ron Morgan
Position: Staff, Health Physics/Radiological Engineering, Los Alamos National Laboratory
http://128.252.223.112/cgi-bin/circR?/p ... .Es.r.html
Quote:
Good first guess. At least, I THINK good first guess, but I wasn't able to find a reference for what I'm about to tell you, so please take it with a grain of salt (I guess I'm "normal," because my memory gets shorter as my lifespan get longer).

Imagine a hollow tube, or straw, that is "stuck" completely through the Earth (through the center of gravity), so that both ends are open, and both ends are at the surface (on opposite sides of the Earth). The tube is a bit larger than a baseball.

Now, imagine dropping a baseball down one end of the tube. Gravity will certainly make the baseball fall down the tube (ever dropped a rock down a well?)...but how far?

Actually, in the absence of air friction or friction of the walls of the tube, the baseball will "fall" all the way through the Earth and just to the surface on the other side, before it begins to 'fall' back to the point of origin. With some small amount of friction, the ball will oscillate with decreasing magnitude until it finally stops (hanging motionless) at the center of gravity (presumably the center of the Earth). The baseball acts just as your body would, if the tube (tunnel?) was big enough for you to crawl into.

This is because gravity is greatest at (or near) the SURFACE of the Earth. As you approach the center of the Earth from the surface, mass "behind" you acts to pull you away from the center.

This explanation ignores the rotation of the Earth. If the tube wasn't stuck directly through the (rotational) poles, the ball would tend to roll down (up?) one edge of the tube.

Good thought experiment. Ron

Last edited by Fender on 04-04-2005 11:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
[xeno]Julios wrote:
Foo wrote:

Yeah, you're right.

In part.

1)Gravitational force upon a body is a function of the relative masses of the two bodies (person and earth) combined with the distance between their centres. Therefore, the gravitational pull in any given direction is actually half of that experienced from the surface.

2) The metaphor you are invoking when you talk about gravity ripping you apart is false. If you had two horses pulling you with rope from opposite ends of your body, yes you'd be ripped apart. This is because the force of the ropes is applied directly to only certain parts of your body, whereas the force of gravity affects each atom in your body. If you attached two sets of ropes to each particle of your body, pulling in opposite directions, then you would not experience stress (assuming that the ropes were connected to particles that cannot experience stress in the same way that flesh can). But I think even this explanation is lacking in theoretical precision - just understand that the force of gravity is fundamentally different from the force experienced by rope pulling.

3) Why are there only 6 general directions? There are an infinite number of directions. Natural forces do not discriminate based on human normative conceptions.

Last edited by [xeno]Julios on 04-04-2005 11:34 AM, edited 4 times in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
dammit, this time I was too slow :mad:

ahah - i wasn't even thinking about axis of rotation - i was just being foolish :)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
3) Why are there only 6 general directions? There are an infinite number of directions. Natural forces do not discriminate based on human normative conceptions.

*sigh* this was a simplification relative to the 'norm', which sees the earths mass present on only one side of an imaginary cube around a person.

Purely for illustrative purposes.

Your needless use of complex terminoligy I find to be so utterly juvenile that this discussion ceases to be entertaining.

For that reason, I'm not even tackling the rest.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got a question about the oscillation thing...

Since we're talking about the earth, and the laws of friction apply, wouldn't terminal velocity prevent the ball from returning almost all the way to the opposite side of the planet? That is to say, the speed that the ball is traveling when it passes the center of the earth can't possibly be enough to make it all the way back to the surface on the other side. Right?
So won't the oscillation be uneven? Wouldn't it only travel a short distance past the core before turning around again?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
If you dropped a bowling ball down into the hole it would fall straight through the earth, slow down at the same height you dropped it (but on the other side of the planet), fall back and do this forever....providing there's a vacuum.

This is correct sir.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Quote:

*sigh* this was a simplification relative to the 'norm', which sees the earths mass present on only one side of an imaginary cube around a person.

Your needless use of complex terminoligy I find to be so utterly juvenile that this discussion ceases to be entertaining.

That's a respectful way to leave a discussion without having to admit you didn't know what you were talking about. :icon27:

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
That's a respectful way to leave a discussion without having to admit you didn't know what you were talking about. :icon27:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. (Not Foo). :)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
Foo wrote:
Quote:

Yes, and that's also a reason why I'd normally shy off posting what I did, despite it being my actual real opinion, and you being a jaded fuck who could probably function just as well with less useless sniping.

Again, not that this won't be seen as something you'll 'read' more into, like you're managing to somehow get one over on me by 'telling me what I'm saying'.

I probably need to finish this off with a ;dork; icon, right?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

werldhed wrote:

Since we're talking about the earth, and the laws of friction apply, wouldn't terminal velocity prevent the ball from returning almost all the way to the opposite side of the planet? That is to say, the speed that the ball is traveling when it passes the center of the earth can't possibly be enough to make it all the way back to the surface on the other side. Right?
So won't the oscillation be uneven? Wouldn't it only travel a short distance past the core before turning around again?

terminal velocity is a function of friction/air resistance. If, as has been qualified in the discussion so far, there is a vacuum, there is no terminal velocity.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

heh i've seen this behaviour from you in the past :p

gg

-btw, if you don't understand what I'm talking about, then you could ask for clarification, or give me some constructive criticism about the way in which I'm communicating myself.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 12:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
Foo wrote:

heh i've seen this behaviour from you in the past :p

gg

-btw, if you don't understand what I'm talking about, then you could ask for clarification, or give me some constructive criticism about the way in which I'm communicating myself.

:icon26:

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 12:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so if I shovelled through the bottom long enough I would come out upside down in China staring down those funny people at their nostrils? :icon28:

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 12:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
werldhed wrote:

terminal velocity is a function of friction/air resistance. If, as has been qualified in the discussion so far, there is a vacuum, there is no terminal velocity.

In a vacuum, yes. But that hasn't been qualified in this discussion, GFY simply gave a case of "if it was a vacuum, this would happen." Also, if it really was a vacuum, in theory oscillation would not diminish until the object came to rest at the core.
Since it's been stated a couple of times that this would happen (even in that article Fender posted), it must not really be in a vacuum, in which case I'm asking if terminal velocity would affect the movement of the object in a different way than everyone seems to believe.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 12:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
R00k wrote:
Foo wrote:

Yes, and that's also a reason why I'd normally shy off posting what I did, despite it being my actual real opinion, and you being a jaded fuck who could probably function just as well with less useless sniping.

Again, not that this won't be seen as something you'll 'read' more into, like you're managing to somehow get one over on me by 'telling me what I'm saying'.

I probably need to finish this off with a ;dork; icon, right?

Maybe I am a 'jaded fuck' but you're the one who threw a fit and got aggressive when someone tried to correct you.
Trying to "get one over on you?" :rolleyes:

Last edited by R00k on 04-04-2005 12:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 12:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'no you'

?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.