Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Bioshock

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Bioshock

Always Watching
Always Watching
PostPosted: 08-28-2007 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm seriously shocked that you people are not sitting about saying you are playing it.

Good grapix and not a super hitter on frame rates for those of you that upgraded recently.

Currently I'm in the underbelly of Ryan's domain looking for Ryan.

Yea the monsters are a little repetitive, it ain't that scary, but in some respects it puts Quake 4 and Doom 3 to fuckin shame. After all, waltzing to the tune of Blue Danube and kicking Splicer ass with my wrench as I cavorted about, was sheer genius.

Get your Plasmids, today!

(normally I wouldn't say shit about a game, but this one as kept me, en-Rapture-d)

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 08-28-2007 07:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you missed q3ws wave of bioshock cock riding. also hermoine dies

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-28-2007 08:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ForM wrote:
I'm seriously shocked that you people are not sitting about saying you are playing it.

Good grapix and not a super hitter on frame rates for those of you that upgraded recently.

Currently I'm in the underbelly of Ryan's domain looking for Ryan.

Yea the monsters are a little repetitive, it ain't that scary, but in some respects it puts Quake 4 and Doom 3 to fuckin shame. After all, waltzing to the tune of Blue Danube and kicking Splicer ass with my wrench as I cavorted about, was sheer genius.

Get your Plasmids, today!

(normally I wouldn't say shit about a game, but this one as kept me, en-Rapture-d)

rofl...

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 08-28-2007 11:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got it yesterday, installed it, and it wouldn't play, just went blank as it loaded the first level. There's a 117 pages long thread about it at the 2K forums, with people having similar problems.

Didn't have time to fuck around and try to get it to work yesterday, maybe tomorrow. Fucking crap.

PostPosted: 08-28-2007 11:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another great thing, thanks to the super awesome Unreal 3 engine, is that you can't use AA in DX10 mode due to their deferred rendering approach. Which means that you have to run it in DX9 mode in order to get rid of the jaggies.

gg Epic!

and also lol, Microsoft!

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 08-29-2007 03:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YEAH MAN PC GAMEZ ARE WAY BETAR THAN CONSOL GAMES ANYDAY HELL YEAH MOUSE AND KEYBORD FO LYFE SUCKA

pfff

PostPosted: 08-29-2007 03:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, the 360 problems thread is only 24 pages long, so

And yes, play FPS games on a controller is rather gay

PostPosted: 08-29-2007 03:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

all fixed for almost nothing... but you, you've posted more about not being able to play bioshock than playing it, and complaining about the graphics engine and all it's problems rather than the 'breakthrough' graphics themselves so.... i hope your at least having fun with it :)

God
God
PostPosted: 08-29-2007 03:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:
Yeah, the 360 problems thread is only 24 pages long, so

And yes, play FPS games on a controller is rather gay

I havn't had a single problem with my 360 copy. Not in the slightest.

No speaka chinee
No speaka chinee
PostPosted: 08-29-2007 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am loving the game, it's pretty long, love that fact. I haven't played long, interesting games for a long time.

Did you get to the level with the moving/attacking statues?
What was your scariest moment in the game?

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 08-29-2007 05:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turbine wrote:
What was your scariest moment in the game?

trying to capture the two IDF soldiers alive in Special Force 2,
you?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 08-29-2007 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

No speaka chinee
No speaka chinee
PostPosted: 08-29-2007 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pussy.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-29-2007 10:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My roomate and I just beat the game tonight. Decent ending. Exceptional game.

PostPosted: 08-30-2007 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I got it working. It won't play in DX10 mode for some reason, but it runs smooth as silk in DX9 so I won't complain. Just finished off the Medical Facility and my first Big Daddy. Holy shit, this game is awesome.

No speaka chinee
No speaka chinee
PostPosted: 08-30-2007 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you save the Little Sister or harvest her?

In the long run it pays off to save here, you get lots of EVE as gifts, and rare bios.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-30-2007 02:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no difference between dx9 and 10...

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 08-30-2007 06:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

I saw a bunch of screenshots. Your shadow is a bit sharper in DX10. Yeah.

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 08-30-2007 10:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

truely and awesome game. i got that fucking stop and go freeze bug on the 360 but i was still able to enjoy the game with it. i think that speaks a lot for the quality of the game; most any other game the stop motion gameplay would make you throw down the controller and never look back.

i sorta took my time with this game to make it last a little longer than most other games and i'm glad i did so. i just beat it tonight and it was a fun ride. the ending, um, kinda sucked. but now i'm gonna play through it all the way and kill all them li'l bitches and see how the ending comes out.

btw did anyone else here get the 4th sister glitch on neptunes bounty? doesn't affect the game in any way except for the fact that you get a shitload of extra adam haha.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 03:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
scared? wrote:

I saw a bunch of screenshots. Your shadow is a bit sharper in DX10. Yeah.

WOW THATS SO COOL? If only the player HAD a shadow :rolleyes:

Dumb ass...

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 05:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You are such a cunt.
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/bioshoc ... /page4.asp
Fine, it isn't the player's shadow, but other shadows. ffs :rolleyes:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 05:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, crushed.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 05:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
You are such a cunt.
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/bioshoc ... /page4.asp
Fine, it isn't the player's shadow, but other shadows. ffs :rolleyes:

the most noticeable differences in that link is the smoke over the couch. that's the first dx10 thing i've seen that's struck me as cool.

No speaka chinee
No speaka chinee
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 05:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I noticed in the new DX10 games, as opposed to playing last years DX9 games, is that in DX10 the new effects are all cinematic oriented. What I am trying to say is that we all ready reached a high level of graphics in DX9, they where sharp, fresh and crisp. But that's where the problem is, if you want to create lifelike graphics, making them ultra sharp and razor like will distract from realism. That's where DX10 comes in, bringing real life effects, improved light with proper radiance, glow "whitewash", proper motion blur, proper shadows. All those little things that make it seem life like. That is the impression I got from DX10 so far.

And I love the DX10 shadows, I mean they look like actual shadows. Bioshock has extensive use of shadows, when you walk up to corners, and see shadows of whats around the corner, sometimes they freak the crap out of you, like a shadow of a doctor working on a patient. A crisp DX10 shadow.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 05:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've just noticed you can turn off vsync on the 360 version. Nice to have the choice, and much better framerate.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 06:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

really? no visual anomalies, image tearing or flashing polygons? your LCDs 60hz right?

PostPosted: 08-31-2007 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just noticed that I need to put fucking Turdbin on my foe list.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
really? no visual anomalies, image tearing or flashing polygons? your LCDs 60hz right?

Bit of tearing, but that's all so far.

No speaka chinee
No speaka chinee
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 06:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This post was made by Grudge who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 06:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Erm, as for the smoke over the couch...

lol, no...

Its called many things. Its called "Soft Particles". Its called "zFeathering". Its called... well, a lot of different terms.

Truth be told, its not a DX10 thing. OverDose does it on DX9 perfectly fine. In fact we use it for many things, from particles (so they dont clip), to water edges.

There are quite a few games that use it on DX9's path, and they don't have a hint of DX10 in them.

As for the shadows, I hardly think the resolution at which the shadow maps are drawn at has anything to do with DX10 either. In OverDose again we have Per Pixel SOFT SHADOWING (Think Doom 3 technology but with soft shadows), and again this is strictly NOT DX10. Its just a precision thing. We can have 32x32 res shadow maps, we can have 4096x4096 shadow maps. Its up to you.

the point is, there isnt anything that Bioshock does in DX10 that cant be done in DX9. Its just lazyness tbh, from an otherwise awesome game.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 06:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geebs wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

Bit of tearing, but that's all so far.

defo testing this on 1080 tonight, good find.

ps lol@turdbin

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 06:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I cant believe it runs in 1080p myself... And so smooth...

It really amazes me because some utter piles of wank still dont manage 720p smoothly... Fuck Resistance is running at 30FPS max in 720p and thats a SONY game, yet that cant even amnage 1080p...

:Thumbs up:

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Erm, as for the smoke over the couch...

lol, no...

Its called many things. Its called "Soft Particles". Its called "zFeathering". Its called... well, a lot of different terms.

Truth be told, its not a DX10 thing. OverDose does it on DX9 perfectly fine. In fact we use it for many things, from particles (so they dont clip), to water edges.

There are quite a few games that use it on DX9's path, and they don't have a hint of DX10 in them.

hadn't seen/noticed it in anything before and i don't keep up with games tech so i assumed it was a dx10 thing. glad it gave you a laugh though.

@at anyone except odium:
is it possible that dx10 is doing these things differently to 9 and that that's what's supposed to be good about it - e.g. getting the same results in a less expensive way, or being able to apply more effects at the same time.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 08:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I believe it says in the manual how DX10 differs from DX9.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2k=pwned...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.