Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        cancer has been completely cured...but not a big story?...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: cancer has been completely cured...but not a big story?...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-07-2007 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aids too maybe...wtf?...scared?...

Quote:
According to a report due to be released in Decemeber in the American Cancer Society's Journal, Cancer, during the experiment, six rabbits with liver tumors were injected with a nanoparticle solution and placed inside Kanzius' radio-frequency machine. Two minutes later, the tumors were completely gone and there was no major damage to the surrounding healthy cells, according to the report.

"My jaw dropped when I heard how the experiments went, because they only ran these experiments on six animals and the results were perfect; one after the other," Kanzius said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21568150/

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-07-2007 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice, time to read up on the progress then, seems we're very close to really curing hiv and many forms of cancer. anyone got details? not really able to check since im just recovering from a shitting and puking onslaught.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-07-2007 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cancer? lol?...

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 11-07-2007 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not a big story because it hasn't been cured. I can give you examples of similar results in other studies that haven't gotten us anywhere.
And it sounds like it will only work with solid tumors. Moron alert?

I would like to know how the gold particles target cancer cells, though.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-07-2007 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

don't cum shit on my thread unless u wanna draw back a stump...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-07-2007 10:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

PostPosted: 11-07-2007 10:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

werldhed wrote:
It's not a big story because it hasn't been cured. I can give you examples of similar results in other studies that haven't gotten us anywhere.
And it sounds like it will only work with solid tumors. Moron alert?

Calm yourself, it's the following tidbit I'm interested in.

Quote:

You probably have access to online journal articles that would cost me precious coin to access. Mind informing the uniformed?

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 11-08-2007 04:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know know the answer, that's why I was curious to learn. The article apparently won't appear in the journal Cancer until december, and pubmed doesn't list any advance online publication. So I don't know what the technique is or how it is supposed to work. If I find it, I'll let you know, though. :)

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 11-08-2007 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

werldhed wrote:

Massive Quasars wrote:

You probably have access to online journal articles that would cost me precious coin to access. Mind informing the uniformed?

http://www.chemlin.net/news/2006/may200 ... ection.htm
;)
btw, old

http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp? ... 3&id=16980
Part 2.
http://www.asharq-e.com/news.asp?section=3&id=17003

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 11-08-2007 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I found the research article. The link is here, but you probably need a subscription to view it. If you want me to c/p the whole thing, I will... but I doubt anyone wants to see it.

Anyway, I skimmed through, and it looks to be about what busetibi said: OLD
They just linked a molecule (PPE, in this case) to the nanotubes to target them to tumors. This is done all the time to deliver drugs or radio-labeled particles to tumors. The problem is that you need to find a particle that will target each tumor. This is where the crux of the problem is: finding targets that are on tumors but not the rest of the body.

This quote in the paper sums it up:
Quote:
Ideally, functionalized SWNTs can be targeted to cancer cells by covalently or noncovalently linking antibodies, peptides, carbohydrates, or pharmacologic agents directed at target molecules that are expressed or over expressed on cancer cells, as reported recently.

It looks like the novel part of the paper is that this is first time they've shown that nanotube themselves can be used to kill cells, without linking toxins to it. And that in itself is pretty cool. :up:
But it's still limited to solid tumors that can be specifically targeted....

Last edited by werldhed on 11-08-2007 07:42 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-08-2007 07:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What portion of terminal cancers have solid tumours that can be targeted?

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 11-08-2007 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very few.
Based on the way this therapy seems to work, if the cancer has metastasized, you're fucked.
Maybe not, though... maybe you can take a whole body treatment of the radiowaves and not have any problems. :shrug:

EDIT: I read the article again, and they injected the nanotubes directly into the tumor. None of the references the cited gave evidence that the particles can find their own way to the cancer cells. So yeah, evidence right now suggests this won't help disseminated tumors...

Last edited by werldhed on 11-08-2007 07:53 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-08-2007 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

they aren't gonna cure major diseases becuz overpopulation is worse for the world than a bunch of morons dying...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-08-2007 02:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared?...

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 11-08-2007 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
they aren't gonna cure major diseases becuz overpopulation is worse for the world than a bunch of morons dying...

you know you're included in that demographic right?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-08-2007 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we r all morons...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.