Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Diablo III

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Diablo III

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-22-2011 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turb was nuts about Diablo II. This place was Diablo2World for a while there. :smirk:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 10-22-2011 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i know, i played with him and elk.

let's find him and do his ass like ghadafi's

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 10-22-2011 11:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlhWqmVeDno

:drool:

Whoever creates these cinematics for Blizzard should really consider making full length films for them. So awesome.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-22-2011 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I disagree. They have always been ahead of the curve where detail is concerned, but the animations in the cinemas always shows how little motion capture they use. Stiff and floaty, all at the same time, and it's consistent since the cinematics first started with the old WarCraft games.

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 10-23-2011 12:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:

bring it... :tomato:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 10-23-2011 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will admit Diablo III looks cool, and I will be playing it because I will have it for free, but aside from the excitement of loot, I never really understood the addictive appeal series veterans claim.

To me, Diablo is about spam clicking like crazy. And as far as gameplay goes, that's about it. Oh and chain-potting, which is incredibly dumb design. I know you can't chain pot in D3, but it looks to be the same kind of never-ending clicking marathon as the others... so, Turb or some other legit Diablo fan, can you help me see what is cool about such a game?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-23-2011 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At first, I was perplexed but I'm actually quite glad that I have no idea what you are talking about when you say stuff like "chain-potting".

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-23-2011 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
At first, I was perplexed but I'm actually quite glad that I have no idea what you are talking about when you say stuff like "chain-potting".

Really? I've never heard that term before and I immediately knew what it meant...

I haven't played D2 since I finished my first run through the expansion.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 10-23-2011 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turbanator wrote:
SoM wrote:

bring it... :tomato:

and Diablo(Turb) rises out of hell

good to hear from ya

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 10-23-2011 08:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Chain-potting" means using health or mana potions in rapid succession to cheese your way through periods of heavy damage, etc. It can only be done in silly games with no potion cooldown, such as Diablo.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 02:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any new news on this fuckin game?

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, but not much meaningful info unless you're in the beta and understand the ramifications. They're doing some significant game system changes and there's a wealth of info about it, but from my outside-of-beta view, it doesn't mean much to me.

There were rumors that it was coming out in February but the beta build with these big changes just went out a week or two ago and they're still sending waves of invites 100k at time. It sounds like release isn't anywhere close to imminent. Maybe April, I'm guessing.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 03:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

April isn't that long away...

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a lot further than February 1st and February 7th, both rumored (and the second advertised at Gamestop stores) and both obviously false, at this point. April was a guess too, and for all I know it could be October.

February was a reasonable guess going off of the timelines between their previous WoW expansion betas and their release dates, but that doesn't seem reliable given the latest build with extensive system changes.

Short answer is who the hell knows.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm in the beta, and I think it may be even further away from launch than April. Just before I got access, they released a patch that removed several features from the game, stating that they weren't working as intended and needed to be tinkered with. We also only have access to content up to level 13, half of the first act.

Several of the choices they went with while developing the game worry me. There's an in-game auction house where players can put up items they find for real money (and ingame currency, I think). They also dumbed down the skill system so that every player who makes a, say, monk will have access to every monk skill in the game. Only up to 6 can be active at a time, but whenever you want you can swap them out for whatever other skill you want. They still unlock based on your level, though. The game is also much, much less gritty than its predecessors. Less blood, less gore, and the darkness at the edges of your vision is pushed way back. It looks too much like WoW in my opinion.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i fuck men...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 10:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Isn't Diablo supposed to be really dark, hellish and scary? What's up with all the bright colours, seems too WoW'ish. Hopefully they're just showing one of the earlier levels.

Hmm...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seemed dark to me

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 11:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
obsidian wrote:
Isn't Diablo supposed to be really dark, hellish and scary? What's up with all the bright colours, seems too WoW'ish. Hopefully they're just showing one of the earlier levels.

Hmm...

ya, it needs the necro with CE

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-09-2012 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-09-2012 06:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bummer. Oh well. As long as they make it good, they can take all the time they need...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-16-2012 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
in other news, diablo3 on may 15th.

Really?!? Fuck, that gives me little time to get my PC ready...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-16-2012 07:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Already got it pre-downloaded. Wish they would just let you install it. Not like you can do much without access to servers.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-16-2012 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

Really?!? Fuck, that gives me little time to get my PC ready...

Jesus dude...it only takes a few minutes to build an entire computer...moron alert?...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-16-2012 08:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let alone which, D3 is probably purposefully made to run well on gear up to 5 years old

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-16-2012 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, it runs on my machine (core2quad, 4 gigs of ram, but a modern video card), but it's not nearly as smooth as you'd imagine by looking at the screenshots. You honestly do need a reasonably modern processor and video card, not one or the other. Even on the lowest settings for physics and graphics, it chugs when entering a new area or there are like 30 monsters on the screen.

So yeah, upgrade.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-16-2012 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds like lazy programming to me. Let me guess, this is a PC only title right?
yeah, this is an interesting example.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-16-2012 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but who uses a dual core 9800 and XP, unless geoff.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-16-2012 10:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Scalability is usually #1 for Blizz. I'll be most surprised if their 'low' settings fail to run on anything from a dual core, 9800 and XP.

Indeed

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-16-2012 11:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am sure it will run, as you say. But on my reasonably powerful machine, there is a lot more choppiness than I anticipated.

On Monday I am upgrading to an i5 (from core2 quad) and 8 gigs of ram (from 4). My video card stays (GTX 570). I expect it will run nearly flawlessly at that point.

Just trying to give you guys a decent ballpark idea of how your machines might run this game.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
I am sure it will run, as you say. But on my reasonably powerful machine, there is a lot more choppiness than I anticipated.

On Monday I am upgrading to an i5 (from core2 quad) and 8 gigs of ram (from 4). My video card stays (GTX 570). I expect it will run nearly flawlessly at that point.

Just trying to give you guys a decent ballpark idea of how your machines might run this game.

You may want to consider buying an aftermarket heatsink and fan. My first gen i5's stock HSF was tiny, and would hit temps of 90+ celsius with all 4 cores pegged. Now it max's out around 65 celsius.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good tip, thanks.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 04:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Slashdot has a great video review about the current state of the beta:

http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/04/0 ... lashdot%29

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 08:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What do you think about the core stats being given automatically? I think I'll like it. No more indecisiveness about what I should level up, and more focus on item upgrades.

I was a little disappointed he didn't cover the Monk class, as this will be a class I'd likely play.

Will your single player characters be separate from your multiplayer characters? Or will you be able to play them online?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From the sounds of it, D3 seems to have taken a turn for the worse. Auto-leveling stats? WTF? Half the fun of D2 was building characters and hashing through stuff like this... Also it seems like the skill tree is quite different as well. I probably wasn't going to play D3 anyway but after reading/seeing all the stuff coming out in the last few months, fuckit. Seems like the artwork blows shit too, at least in relation to D1/D2 and indeed, a theme of hell, fire, blood, demons, eternal suffering, darkness, etc.

Is it just me or do so many games nowadays take any and all thinking and planning out of the players hands and just give them X on a plate of gold and call it a game? Part of the fun of a game is figuring it out, making mistakes, going "fuck me, this doesn't work worth a fuck," then going back and trying again. Gee, much like real life, where you learn from your mistakes. I remember the days when Blizzard would release solid games, every single damn time, now it seems like they are slipping. Maybe they got greedy with WoW. :disgust:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.