Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Nintendo fanboyism and XBox Live headaches

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Nintendo fanboyism and XBox Live headaches

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-01-2008 10:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World's resident Nintendo fanboy (supposedly), yours truly, can no longer be accused of being a Nintendo fanboy because, as of yesterday, I'm in the possession of my very own XBox 360 game console. Yes, yes, it's true. I bought it. There's this "supersize pack" that contains the 60Gb version of the console, 2 controllers, a headset, a remote, PGR4 and Gears of War. And I enjoy it.

However, XBox Live is giving me some headaches. I've bought a Wifi adapter to connect to the Internet. It seems to work properly, as I can successfully complete all network tests in the system setup. It also tells me my profile is signed in to XBox Live. However, when I try to do anything XBox Live related through the dashboard, it tells me I'm not signed in. When I choose the "Sign in to XBox Live" option, I'll get the twirling blobs with the console icon telling me it's trying to sign in and then.... nothing. It just goes back to where it was at the dashboard and I'm still not signed in. No error message either. Nothing.

When I start a game, I do get a message telling me I'm signed in to XBox Live, and shopping for downloadable content works fine as well. However, in PGR4, as soon as I try to start an arcade race, it'll tell me it's doing something with XBox Live and then tells me that "the current operation cannot be continued" and BAM, I'm back at the title screen of the game. Gears of War, same kind of story. When I try to start a new game, it just simply won't start. There's no error message either.

When I log in using a local profile (not signed in to XBox Live), everything seems to work fine. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is here?

It never was this hard on the Wii :( Oops, there I go again....

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-02-2008 02:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Becuase the Wii isn't exactly demanding online is it...

Erm, first of all, try NOT using wireless and see if that helps? I dont use wireless, I dont trust it for gaming TBH but thats just me. My PS3 works fine but theres no decent online games for it to try it on lol. So, give WIRED on the 360 a go first and see if you still get the problems. If you do, then you know its your live settings on net etc...

Its also possbile that on your router you havent opened the correct ports for online gaming to work ;) Now I dont have to do that, but I know a few people who have, so give that a try?

FragaGeddon
FragaGeddon
PostPosted: 09-02-2008 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you need need to assign ports, it's 88 UDP and 3074 both.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 09-02-2008 04:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Quake3World's resident Nintendo fanboy (supposedly), yours truly, can no longer be accused of being a Nintendo fanboy because, as of yesterday, I'm in the possession of my very own XBox 360 game console. Yes, yes, it's true. I bought it. There's this "supersize pack" that contains the 60Gb version of the console, 2 controllers, a headset, a remote, PGR4 and Gears of War. And I enjoy it.

However, XBox Live is giving me some headaches. I've bought a Wifi adapter to connect to the Internet. It seems to work properly, as I can successfully complete all network tests in the system setup. It also tells me my profile is signed in to XBox Live. However, when I try to do anything XBox Live related through the dashboard, it tells me I'm not signed in. When I choose the "Sign in to XBox Live" option, I'll get the twirling blobs with the console icon telling me it's trying to sign in and then.... nothing. It just goes back to where it was at the dashboard and I'm still not signed in. No error message either. Nothing.

When I start a game, I do get a message telling me I'm signed in to XBox Live, and shopping for downloadable content works fine as well. However, in PGR4, as soon as I try to start an arcade race, it'll tell me it's doing something with XBox Live and then tells me that "the current operation cannot be continued" and BAM, I'm back at the title screen of the game. Gears of War, same kind of story. When I try to start a new game, it just simply won't start. There's no error message either.

When I log in using a local profile (not signed in to XBox Live), everything seems to work fine. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is here?

It never was this hard on the Wii :( Oops, there I go again....

fuck u...

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 09-02-2008 04:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've always used wireless and not had a problem. I didn't have to do anything to the router, either. It should just work. I'm running DD-WRT on my router.

God
God
PostPosted: 09-02-2008 05:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like a port issue to me as well. Either that or you don't have all of your updates.

God
God
PostPosted: 09-02-2008 05:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It could also be hepatitus.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-02-2008 05:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, it's just looking to update data fields in game and the dashboard.

get a better router...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-02-2008 10:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Becuase the Wii isn't exactly demanding online is it...

Erm, first of all, try NOT using wireless and see if that helps? I dont use wireless, I dont trust it for gaming TBH but thats just me.

It's not the Wifi. Tried wired as well. Wifi is fine for gaming. I use it for my laptop, PC, Wii and DS and never experienced a problem. Not even lag or packet loss. Besides, on the XBox, downloads work properly and there definitely is a perfectly working internet connection. My profile is updated online through live.xbox.com (with achievements), so it does log in to xbox live within games (but not properly it appears, as certain game modes nor online gaming work).

o'dium wrote:
Its also possbile that on your router you havent opened the correct ports for online gaming to work ;) Now I dont have to do that, but I know a few people who have, so give that a try?

I don't think that's necessary, but I explicitly opened the ports fragageddon mentioned. That doesn't help either :(

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 09-02-2008 01:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Back in the day there were some routers that didn't work with Live, not sure that's still the case...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-03-2008 12:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I called Microsoft's XBox helpdesk and it turns out Doombrain and Dark Metal's comments actually are closest to the truth. The problem isn't the router in itself, just the firmware update I was running. He told me to update the firmware, which I did, and everything seems to work fine now. And without wires. So there :p

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-03-2008 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

add me up

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 09-03-2008 04:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what games do you have; what games do you plan on playing?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-04-2008 11:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So far I've only got Project Gotham Racing 4 and Gears of War, but I've bought Too Human today as well. I don't think I'll really play through GoW as I've already done that (and Bioshock) on a friend's XBox before.

I plan on playing Call of Duty 4 and Assassins Creed as well. Maybe try Mass Effect as well. The thing is that there's suddenly such a huge library of games available to me that time is a real issue. There's also Okami I'm currently playing on the Wii which is an incredible game. Can't shove that to the side.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-04-2008 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Add me to your friends list when you pick up CoD4. :up:

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 09-04-2008 01:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, otherwise he doesn't want to be your friend.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-07-2008 07:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well, what are your gamertags? mine is Eraesr (intentionally misspelled)

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 09-07-2008 09:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Added. Mine's Torm777

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-07-2008 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

It's to the left of the quote button on our posts. :p

<-- Hagnuf

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-07-2008 11:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shave my legs and call me grandpa! I didn't know that. I'll go add mine now.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-10-2008 06:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ummm, who uses the gamertag Sevensins 7?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-13-2008 10:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

add me, sir.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-14-2008 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Done when you accept

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 09-14-2008 11:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

im surprised you got too human.

when it was going to come out for gamecube, the IGN editors were jerking off over it like mad-crazy (before anyone really knew what the game was going to be like).

it was annoying enough for me to lose interest in the game.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-14-2008 11:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
im surprised you got too human.

Um, in hindsight, I am as well.
I didn't exactly follow the most recent developments in Too Human (apart from the Epic lawsuit thing). I was shopping for a new game and planned on buying Call of Duty 4, but noticed Too Human was a new release and about €10 cheaper. Knowing Silicon Knights from jewels like Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness, I thought Too Human would at least be an interesting game. I reasoned that I could loan CoD4 from friends as well so I went for Too Human. It's a bit of a disappointment :(

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 09-14-2008 11:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

balls

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 09-15-2008 09:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DarkMetal WYD

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-16-2008 12:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dammit, and now they're going to drop the price of the damn thing:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=239024

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-16-2008 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BAM

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-16-2008 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I was shopping for a new game and planned on buying Call of Duty 4, but noticed Too Human was a new release and about €10 cheaper.

WRONG CHOISE SIR

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-17-2008 01:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Eraser wrote:
I was shopping for a new game and planned on buying Call of Duty 4, but noticed Too Human was a new release and about €10 cheaper.

WRONG CHOISE SIR

I KNOW! :cry:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.