Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Real Beer Advocates, Unite............

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Real Beer Advocates, Unite............

Don't be koi
Don't be koi
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pours like spent oil and tastes like a million bucks. :drool:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 05:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow those are some pretty digusting looking beers you queers drink.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 05:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, they don't serve those beers in clubs.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

So what do hardcore gangsta Canadians drink then? Although I probably have a good idea anyway.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 05:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
My last trip to the store looked like this:

I'll have to check out the one you mentioned Form...The only Barleywine style I've tried was TERRIBLE, http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/bigfoot.html

I've been thinking about trying some of that Arrogant Bastard Ale.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

lol, Molson Canadian.

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 05:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

l0g1c wrote:

that is a truly fantastic beer right there. had one a few months ago and i was sad when i finished it :(

arrogant bastard is a good solid beer. try the double bastard for twice the fun :D

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 06:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh just kidding guys don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm not much of a drinker but I can't say I'm too fond of those specialty beers.

To me, and this is mainly due to the fact I'm from Canada, imported specialty beers are for people that want to look sophisticated. Thing is though these beers are imported and by the time they get to canada, especialy the clear bottle kind like heineken (sp?) and shit like that, the taste is completely different than what it'd taste like if it was bought fresh in germany.

Here, I drink budweiser, I like it cause it's a light tasting beer. If I want red ale I'll usualy go with Olson's red... which oddly I can't find any pics of at the moment. Tastes great though for a dark beer.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 06:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beer in a clear or green glass needs to be completely covered at all times in order to not taste like shit after exposure to florescent lights.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 07:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
To me, and this is mainly due to the fact I'm from Canada, imported specialty beers are for people that want to look sophisticated. Thing is though these beers are imported and by the time they get to canada, especialy the clear bottle kind like heineken (sp?) and shit like that, the taste is completely different than what it'd taste like if it was bought fresh in germany.

Here, I drink budweiser, I like it cause it's a light tasting beer. If I want red ale I'll usualy go with Olson's red... which oddly I can't find any pics of at the moment. Tastes great though for a dark beer.

1. Trying new things isn't to look sophisticated
2. "especialy" isn't a word
3. Heineken does not come in clear bottles
4. Heineken is not from Germany
5. Don't make up a Beer to try and sound sophisticated
6. You're a moron

Always Watching
Always Watching
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't mean to be a dick here but...Fact is, if he was buying bottle fermented ales then they would not come so skunky. Bottle fermented ages like fine wine and cheese. But most morons don't know that, and even they have a shelf life, even if it is 2 to 7 years. Bottle fermentation allows the yeast to keep eating on the sugars added to make it more complex and intoxicating. You would be real surprised if you drank a bottle of Chimay just released to one released 2 to 4 years ago.

And to live in Canada and not know Heineken is made in Canada really makes you look stupid. Let's add in that your drinking skunked Heineken which will tell you what a shit beer it really is. It sits on your store shelves for months past its age, in it's local area.

I love Ale's, and I have seen 3 or 4 I'm dying to get my hands on posted by you people.. Keep posting those Big beers kids.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I knew it would be Bud. And it doesn't have a light flavor. It has almost no flavor at all.

If you're not trying specialty beers because you think it's supposed to make you look sophisticated then you're missing the whole point of trying them.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-21-2009 10:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hellz yeah, watch out for the silver bullet, motherfuckers!

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 01-22-2009 06:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
bitWISE wrote:

I'll have to check out the one you mentioned Form...The only Barleywine style I've tried was TERRIBLE, http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/bigfoot.html

Tried that stuff on tap at The Flying Saucer recently, sooooooo fucking good. All I have in the fridge are Guinness and Smithwick's atm. I'll muddle through somehow.

Which one, Bell's?

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 01-22-2009 06:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I currently have a dozen of these:

Sleeman Silver Creek Lager

And 3 of these:

La Fin Du Monde

Yummy.

Always Watching
Always Watching
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 03:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I no longer can get any of the Unibrow. My fav was Trios Pistoles, but all are very very good.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
bitWISE wrote:

I've been thinking about trying some of that Arrogant Bastard Ale.

Picked one up today. Not bad at all. :up:

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 03:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You boys made me thirsty, I had to go pickup some beers on the way home from work.

ugh... I must have been shaking.
Left to right:
Breckenridge Pandora's Bock
Great Lakes Brewing Edmund Fitzgerald (Porter)
Sierra Nevada Porter
Dogfish Head Raison D'etre
New Holland Brewing Poet (oatmeal stout)
Ommegang Rare Vos
Old Rasputin Imperial Porter
Rogue Mocha Porter

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 04:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice call on the Raison D'Etre, I love that one.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 04:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm starting to really like porters.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 05:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ForM wrote:
I no longer can get any of the Unibrow. My fav was Trios Pistoles, but all are very very good.

Mine as well, however the store was out...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Left to right:
Haven't tried it.
Excellent
Decent
Most excellent
Haven't tried it
Overrated
Haven't tried it
Very yummy

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 08:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Drinking this presently:

edit:
And no, that's not my wall. Pic off of internet.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 10:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am enjoying a (second) Spy Porter from Tree Brewing. Yummy.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 10:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Drinking this presently:

edit:
And no, that's not my wall. Pic off of internet.

No way, you live in a 70s rec room. Got any black velvet Zepplin posters? :olo:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-23-2009 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, and a black light. Also have a magic 8-ball and a mood ring.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-24-2009 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
You boys made me thirsty, I had to go pickup some beers on the way home from work.

Left to right:
Sierra Nevada Porter
Ommegang Rare Vos
Rogue Mocha Porter

wow imunitys must be higher after guts undoing all that varity of all the diff waters and ingriediants in those ey!

Always Watching
Always Watching
PostPosted: 01-26-2009 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

l0g1c wrote:

I cant see what that is, but I have a new one that is like your description that I will review lower in this post.

Fender wrote:

Left to right:
Sierra Nevada Porter
Ommegang Rare Vos
Rogue Mocha Porter

I've not liked anything from Rouge, tho they do make a very strong brew.. and ... that's a nice assortment.

So here's a review............ I posted a brew or two from this brewery

Boulevard Smokestack Series Release #6 is an Imperial Stout.

It is here I must say that this brewery is in Kansas City Mo. I must also say that I was very impressed with the previous releases. Brews this large are truly crafted Ales and crafted Ales are what I like to drink. Big flavors, bold content, all hiding alcohol content that are not only flavorful, but very drinkable.

So on with the review..........

This Stout...... yes I said Stout, pours like logic said "Pours like spent oil and tastes like a million bucks." It is after all, an Imperial Stout.

It's a deep rich mouth full of goodness. It's flavors range from coffee to toffee to caramel to burnt toast. The mouth feel is thick and velvety. It's a sipper at 11% ABV and not a guzzler. The warmer it gets, the more flavorful it is, just like its meant to be. Serve near room temperature for best flavors.

Goes best with steaks or very spicy foods.

This is one Imperial Stout that has impressed me and I'm not a particular fan of Stouts, (thanks to Guinness). However, it is very heavy on the pallet, but one 750 bottle is all you will need.

I highly recommend this one if you can get a bottle as it is also a limited release. I can imagine how it would taste after allowing it a year or two to age.

Happy drinking to all, and to all a good drink.

Don't be koi
Don't be koi
PostPosted: 01-26-2009 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Form, the beer I posted is Goose Island's (Chicago) Bourbon County Stout.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672

Quote:
"I really wanted to do something special for our 1000th batch at the original brewpub. Goose Island could have thrown a party. But we did something better. We brewed a beer. A really big batch of stout—so big, the malt was coming out of the top of the mash tun. After fermentation, we brought in some bourbon barrels that aged the stout. One hundred days later, Bourbon County Stout was born. A liquid as dark and dense as a black hole with thick foam the color of a bourbon barrel. The nose is an intense mix of charred oak, chocolate, vanilla, caramel and smoke. One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. It overpowers anything in the room. People have even said it's a great cigar beer. But I have yet to try a cigar that can stand up." Greg Hall, Brewmaster

Gonna pick some more up tonight. :drool:

I highly recommend any of Goose Island's 4-packers. Matilda, Pere Jacques, Bourbon County Stout, Imperial IPA. I haven't had the Demolition, but I'm sure it's outstanding. I named my motorcycle Matilda after the brew. I've been trying to squirrel some of these away, but so far my will has faltered. :(

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 01-27-2009 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ForM wrote:
I've not liked anything from Rouge, tho they do make a very strong brew..

Some of Rogue's stuff is really good, but only out of the tap. I've been disappointed multiple times by their bottles. :shrug:

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-30-2009 06:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I picked up a couple more tonight.

Bells Expedition Stout (imperial 10.5%) very good, but just about the most expensive beer I've purchased, barring a few Belgian brews. A 6 pack is $18.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-31-2009 11:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tried some Warsteiner Premium Verum today. Ehh, it was kind of weak and light. I won't be getting any more. It left an aftertaste that was sour and the actual taste reminded me of a mix between Corona and Heineken. Not a good mixture by any standards. You can taste the graininess in it. Here's a pic:

Also got some Sam Adams Winter Brew and Pale Ale. Now we're talking. The winter brew is subtle and hints at spices with a wonderful aftertaste that lingers for a little while. Strange, this year it's labeled Winter Brew instead of Winter Lager.

The Pale ale. Light hoppiness with a mild flavor and a smooth aftertaste with lingering effects. A good ale with mostly unremarkable flavors. Good though. Recommended strongly if you drink swill beers as maybe a good crossover drink. I would drink it again, although it's not especially good.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-01-2009 05:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sam Adams is my fall back beer. Good beer, pretty cheap.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-01-2009 05:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Enjoying a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout tonight. Brewed with Sebastopol's Hard Core Coffee. 8.3% ABV, 29.5 IBU & 1.076 OG.
Highly recommended if you like coffee and beer.
They have a couple other decent brews as well. http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/index.html

Always Watching
Always Watching
PostPosted: 04-22-2009 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A heads up for all you beer lovers.........

Samuel Adams has developed an Imperial line. Not sure if this is limited release or if they plan to keep them available for the Big Beer drinkers out there.

First up is the new Double Bock, a new recipe that exceeds the old..... (Not tried yet)

Second is the Imperial White, or Witbier, which is by far The Best Wheat Beer I have ever tried. ABV is 11.0% This is one Grand Beir.

Last up The Imperial Stout which I am currently trying. ABV of 9% but it has all the grand flavors of an Imperial Stout. Most people think of Stout as in Guniees, but this ain't one of them. It's fine and rich and chewy with out all that bitter crap. Just what an Imperial Stout should be.

Go get em kids, but I Highly recommend the Imperial White.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.