Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Real Beer Advocates, Unite............

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Real Beer Advocates, Unite............

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duvel and Delerium Nocturnum

I also like trying new trappists when I get a chance.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I'm intrigued by the Koningshoeven and Aventius. I've been meaning to try the former for a while. I think that endorsement is a good excuse to do it.

The Chocolate Stout sounds good, too. I'll have to see if I'm up for a heavy stout. I might make that decision when I'm there.

@R00k: I've had Duvel; I guess I missed that on my list. But what's the Nocturnum like? I've had the Tremens before, and while it was good, I found it a bit underwhelming. :shrug:

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 03:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let me know how you like it. None of my friends are beer snobby enough to get excited about it.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/72/224
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/184/1402

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 07:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Magic Hat #9 pale ale. Not bad, but not great.
Sam Adams Boston Brick Red. Amazing. I think it's only currently available in Boston though. If they release it you guys should definitely pick some up.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Big Kahuna Burger wrote:
Magic Hat #9 pale ale. Not bad, but not great.
Sam Adams Boston Brick Red. Amazing. I think it's only currently available in Boston though. If they release it you guys should definitely pick some up.

They better release it. :offended:

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 08:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or what? You will continue to not buy it?

Anyway, enjoying a couple SA Nobel Pils. Almost an IPA, but not quite. Almost really good, but not quite.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Drinking some Noble Pils myself. Also some Real Ale Fireman's 4.

And no, I'll drive to Boston and hold Koch hostage until he does.

edit: Yeah, the Noble Pils could be better with some more hops kick in it. I love the flavor, it just kinda falls short in the strong hops/IPA area. It's like an IPA light.

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 11:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grandpa Stu wrote:

on a related sad note. widmer recenlty lost 250 barrels of an imperrial IPA due to power outtages. suck.

so it seems the finally released this ipa. it's called Deadlift, and it's one of the tastiest IPAs i've had. at 8.6% and an incredible amount of flavor, this is a perfect sipping beer that you can draw out for a while. after finally experiencing it i'm even more saddened that they lost so much of this brew :(

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 03-06-2010 12:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i had New Belgium's new "Ranger IPA" recently and really liked it - i'd rank it just below Stone IPA and just above Dogfish Head 60min.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-06-2010 04:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

have you had DFH90?

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 03-06-2010 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, i don't like it as much as the 60 though... a little too fruity for me. the 120 was just nasty imho. it's a cool novelty, but doesn't taste good enough for $8/bottle.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-07-2010 09:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just been cleaning my abode for a few hours and catching up on some odd jobs on my day off.

Say, do you people to a To Do List?

I find it every so satisfying to work through 'em and cross them off one by one :up:

Just went to the shops on my final chore, went to the picture framing shop to get a quote, found the price OK, getting some prints remounted.

While at the shops I indulged my sushi fetish, for lunch. Yummy , yummy:up:

Thought I' pick myself up a couple of beers and went for the Platinum Blondes (who wouldn't?)

Not a bad drop at all and at $2.50(AUD) they're cheaper than Coke a Cola :cool:

edit: smelling

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 03-30-2010 01:01 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-08-2010 03:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"premium low carb" sounds like an oxymoron to me

plained
plained
PostPosted: 03-08-2010 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why it just a promise o non-sweetness in my mind

i prefer that :shrug:

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oy. So I had these beers a week ago, but whatever...

Like I mentioned earlier, I went out to The Bulldog in Saint Paul.

1. Koningshoeven Quadruple. Had this on Bit's recommendation. I was not disappointed. It was very good. Subtle caramel flavors, but pleasantly dry -- "earthy" maybe?

2. The wife had the Karmeliet Tripel (she says she ordered the Kasteel Trippel, but they gave her this, instead). Another very tasty drink. The typical tripel "citrus" flavor was stronger than some other tripels I've had, but it certainly wasn't distracting. Not quite as drinkable as the Koningshoeven was, and I think the wifey agreed.

3. Split a flight of beers with my wife:
* Kwak Belgian Amber - always a pleasure
* Tripel Karmeliet - I drank this one, as it was what she ordered 1st.
* Koninghoeven Quadrupel - She drank this. She actually suggested this flight so we could swap the beer we had each ordered previously
* ????? - Dunno. It was forgettable. Some sort of light beer, very perfumey. Tasted kind of like soap. :down:
* Gulden Draak - Fucking awesome. My favorite of the night.

4. Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Scourge's suggestion. I actually wanted to get the Aventinus that Bit recommended, but it was a 500mL bottle. There was no way I was going to finish a half litre of 12%abv after all those Belgians. :eek: :puke:
Anyway, the stout had a nice taste -- very smooth, drinkable, and not sickly sweet. A good, heavy stout... not just a "dark beer" like some stouts I've had.

There was a dutchie out with us, too, and he got some sort of hoegaarden shit that resembled a shandy or that lemonade-beer that germans drink. Jesus it was awful.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recently I had some Widmer Drop Top Amber Ale. That was pretty good. Kinda light with a slight hops flavor. Got better the more I drank. Definitely buy again.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, and now I'm enjoying a nice gin & tonic with New Amsterdam gin.

Cheers :up:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Having some Sam Adams Boston Ale myself. Shiner Commemorator after that. They didn't have anything new this time. May have to order some stuff and check out some more places to shop.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 06:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooohh one more post!

I was up in Duluth, MN two weeks ago. Stayed at Fitger's, an old brewery from the mid-1800's that's expanded into an inn and shopping plaza.

Anywhoo... stopped to pick up some food from their brewery. I had a few of their on-site brews while I waited at the bar.

Had the Starfire Pale Ale and Big Boat Oatmeal Stout. Both were fantastic. I was blown away. I haven't had such good beer from a small, local brewery since I was at the North Coast brewery in California.
Not having had dinner yet, I got a bit buzzed off the two pints, and struck up a conversation with a hot gal next to me. Turned out she used to work with one of the researchers in my department. :olo: :dork:
Anyway, I doubt Fitgers distribute anywhere outside of MN, but if you happen to run across any, give them a try.

Also had Lake Superior Special Ale at a restaurant in Duluth. Meh... it wasn't bad. :shrug:

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 06:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Having some Sam Adams Boston Ale myself. Shiner Commemorator after that. They didn't have anything new this time. May have to order some stuff and check out some more places to shop.

Heh.. had some of that earlier today. It was sitting in the fridge next to a Sam Adams Dunkelweizen.
The Boston Ale just happened to be the one I grabbed.
It's a good staple. Reasonably priced, too. :up:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 06:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, not bad for a grab and drink. I like it better than the Boston Lager for sure. My favorite was the Honey Porter. No one carries that here anymore. Have to order some I guess.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-14-2010 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glad you liked it werldhed. I actually went out that night to have some myself. I tried Ayinger Weizen-bock which was also excellent.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39/37192

Finally joined the World Tour so I've got to finish 100 off this list by the end of the year http://www.winkinglizard.com/data/content/beer_tour.asp

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-14-2010 11:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Lizard has finally done it correctly. Drink 100 of the +150(?) beers on the list. And all the drafts and glass of the month specials count. :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-14-2010 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hit the Erdinger today, light and fresh :up:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-19-2010 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shiner 101 Czech-Style Pilsner. Not bad. Kind of underwhelming though. A bit weak, decent flavor. While reading some reviews I noticed many people liked this one and didn't care for the 100. I happened to like the 100 very much and this one is 'ok'.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-19-2010 07:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
I tried Ayinger Weizen-bock which was also excellent.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39/37192

I need to find some of this.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-29-2010 11:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never....NEVER....order a beer of the type 'gueze' or at least avoid 3 Fonteinen Gueze. Wow. Everyone at the table undoubtedly ranked it the worst beer they ever tried. Somehow it smelled even worst than it tasted too. The way they make a gueze is to take a 1 year old lambic and mix it with a 2/3 year old lambic and then preferment the whole thing for another year in the bottle. It was a bit like drinking champaign out of a dumpster of rotting fruit/vegetables behind a five-star restaurant.

Bells Kalamazoo Stout and Ithaca Nut Brown Ale were both decent and unremarkable.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 12:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"gueze" :(

"champaign" :( :(

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 01:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My mate likes this stuff. I bought some to share with him but he didn't show, now all mine :D

....not a bad drop at all :up:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
3 Fonteinen Gueze.

Geuze, goddamnit! Don't be messing with my language, you make it sound like a french word :mad:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 06:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ironically, he made a french word look like an english word :bulb:

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried a couple new brews on different occasions recently...

Last week I traveled up to northern MN to brew some beer with my father-in-law and some of his buddies. One guy is a retired university prof that set up a brewery in his basement and now teaches homebrewing in the community education program.
Our goal was to make a kölsch using two different recipes. It'll be a couple weeks before it's done, and I don't know when I'll be up north again to try it out, but I expect that it will turn out...

Anyway, brewerman had a lot of random homemade beers that we were trying out. Some were really good, some not so much. He had put two IPA-like beers in kegs, and invited us to "tap that shit." (I may be paraphrasing that quote) He likes ultra-hoppy beer, so one of the IPAs was excessively hopped, but the other was unremarkable. I found my preference was to mix the two together to make a pretty good drink.

None of that matters to any of you, of course. But throughout the afternoon, I also had a Goose Island Nut Brown Ale which was fantastic. I think they are becoming one of my favorite breweries. I know some other folks here like their stuff.

This past Friday, I went out to lunch with some coworkers and had Surly Cynic. It was underwhelming. Anyone else had any of their stuff? Everyone around here absolutely raves about all of Surly's beer, but I find them overrated.

That said, the Cynic was not as bad as the Abita Turbodog Brown Ale I had next. Flat, flavorless, no personality whatsoever. I like brown ales, but this was just shit.

So this weekend I was craving some really good beer, that I knew wouldn't let me down... and I uncorked the Chimay Gran Reserve I've had in the cellar for the last year or so. Fabulous. :up:

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 07:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
bitWISE wrote:
3 Fonteinen Gueze.

Geuze, goddamnit! Don't be messing with my language, you make it sound like a french word :mad:

Sorry. That's how they misspelled it in the database of beers I've had.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're forgiven my friend, just don't let it happen again.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-07-2010 04:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/637/2430

Amazing. Tastes like a smooth quadrupel but with a slight hoppy bite. Pretty light too.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.