Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Mass Effect 2

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Mass Effect 2

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it is quite short. I have one more member to get and then I think it's on to the end battle. You can do all the loyalty missions too which makes it a bit longer but still way too short I think.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 02:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

40 hours 27 minutes. Completed every subplot and sub mission, including all DLC quests. Visited/scanned every planet.

I'll be honest with you, its short. Shorter than ME1 anyway. They seem to have stripped a lot of stuff and streamlined it all, too. For example, I still had two team mates left to find by the time I had done all the side missions (aside from the ones that open up with those characters). My ME1 play time was around 68 hours or something. But a lot of that time was taken up driving the Mako around pointless planets... So its catch 22.

It will last you. Lets put it this way, it will last you a bit longer than MW2's Single player thats for sure... But I do hope they change some things for ME3, give us back a little more control, because it was a little too stream lined and straight forward for my liking... I think I only back tracked a few times, rather than going all over the place in ME1.

Last edited by o'dium on 02-01-2010 02:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 02:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no wonder overdose will never be released.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think they needed to remove the Mako completely. I quite enjoyed driving to the destinations, they just needed to tweak the vehicle a little bit, but not remove it altogether. Also, every encounter seems the same. Move forward, crouch, shoot, move, crouch, shoot etc. I don't remember ME1 being quite so formulaic.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still a fucking great game that blows nearly everything else out of the water.

Yeah.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my playtime was only 22 hours and I did pretty much everything (aside from scan every planet). How did you get 40 out of it? :|

edit: oh DLC, i decided against that seeing as i didn't pay for it. How much content is available for download?

Last edited by phantasmagoria on 02-01-2010 02:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 02:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think the mako was as much of a problem as Bioware thought it was... I think the issue was the planets just being boring as fuck. Land... Drive for 10mins... Find element... Drive for 10mins... Find element... Drive to base... Kill a few people... Exit. Wasn't really fun. I can see why they replaced it with just landing at the base rigth away, but its a shame you now have to scan planets... So dull... The ship has an amazing VI onboard yet I have to scan planets by hand :(

I agree thought, amazing game despite a few annoyances, glad to see the third one wont take more than a year to get here.

phantasmagoria wrote:
my playtime was only 25 hours. How did you get 40 out of it? :|

I got everything......... EVVVVVEERRRRRYYYYTHHHIIING... That includes all the mini missions working for people that don't show up on the menu until you trigger them too... Plus a lot of that time was spent scanning planets. Maybe if you skipped all the dialog it would be a low game time, but I didn't.

EDIT: DLC wise, you get one extra team member with a mission to get him, then his loyalty mission. Plus theres the Normandy wreckage mission, which doesn't really take long. I would say its only about 30mins worth, tops.

Last edited by o'dium on 02-01-2010 02:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 02:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I once watched a friend of mine play an RPG where he skipped every single piece of dialogue and had no idea what the story was, he just wanted to get to the next bit of fighting. I couldn't understand it. He did the same with GTA too, so he had no idea what he was supposed to be doing for each mission.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 01:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

I know, right
acquired: Jan 29th.
completed: Feb 1st.
gametime: 40.5 hrs

thats 8 hrs of playing time per day. kinda like.. yknow... a full time job :o

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 02:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

I know, right

lol crushed

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 03:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
you know what fucking pisses me off? when shepard mounts an object that he shouldn't and then won't get down from it and I have to restart a mission because there isn't a fucking jump button. If you're not going to allow the player to jump, get your clipping issues sorted so he doesn't get jammed ontop of a fucking wardrobe or piece of rubble with no way to get down

:mad:

yep. killed my progress about 5 times during the game, forcing mission restarts.

needless to say, i was far more resourceful with the quick save function after i found out about those issues.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 04:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

I know, right

Erm...? I didn't get it 29th, I've had it a week yesterday. Nice fail. Plus who cares, I was off last week, shock horror I'm relaxing.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 04:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

posted jan 26th, on page 2

o'dium wrote:
Its getting some mad scores atm... Gonna load it up and give it a try in a bit, but I'm waiting for Friday to play it serious on 360 instead.

if you are saying you played it on PC instead, that's only a 3 day difference according to that post. fffuu----

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 04:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
posted jan 26th, on page 2

o'dium wrote:
Its getting some mad scores atm... Gonna load it up and give it a try in a bit, but I'm waiting for Friday to play it serious on 360 instead.

if you are saying you played it on PC instead, that's only a 3 day difference according to that post. fffuu----

Over 6 days, I put in 40 hours to the best game released in a long time while on holiday... Shock bloody horror. Was good fun though.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-03-2010 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh, my mate completed the whole game over a weekend. he works long hours and his girlfriend nags the rest of his time, but he said he was basically gonna go on a mass effect 2 binge so he can play the game without any distractions.

thats 30 hours in 2 days.

i can understand why he did it, but i don't think you can really enjoy a game if you're pretty much forcing yourself to play for huge amounts of hours...

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-03-2010 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Completed it today at 32 hours. I did every quest available. Got all crew members to loyal and upgraded my ship with everything I could.

Not one party member died either.

Quality game. Gonna play it again as a Vanguard now.

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 02-03-2010 02:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-03-2010 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm moving along fairly slowly, but this is the first game in a long time I've been able to put more than 2 hours into in a row from time to time. My playtime counter is huge though due to leaving the machine running with the game on and shepard standing in one spot for a few hours.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 10:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm very particular about findng every little thing and trying to complete 100% of the game, and in doing so I think I may actually be hurting myself. I scan every planet, so i'm spending a lot of credits on probes and fuel. Where I could be spending it on stuff I could buy at the merchants. I'm beginning to wonder if I even need all these minerals, and would be better off saving my credits and buying other things...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Not one party member died either."

wha? i lost mr scientist when he was closing the door... how did you not lose anyone? hmmm...

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 12:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First of all you need to have every ship upgrade. Then, you need to make sure everybody is loyal before doing the IFF mission.

After that, make sure you adign the correct squad members to the correct roles at the end of the game, so dont put Grunt in a role where you need a good tech.

Then nobody dies.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 01:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm playing this game now, played teh first one furiously just to finish it so I could import a character, quality game so far I love it :)

My girlfriend however is one of those shoot everything and ignore the dialogue types. :p

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 06:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a high paragon score but that cunt miranda still got pissy with me. Even though I didn't use her in the final mission, she still found a way to kill herself. I'll try again later today to see if I can get the achievement.

PostPosted: 02-07-2010 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

STUPID FUCKING CUNT

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-11-2010 10:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I figured I'd bump this thread since we're talking about it in the Bioshock 2 thread.

This game is flat out awesome. I'm about 35 hours in and have only done 2 or 3 loyalty missions and haven't started the IFF mission. Plus I've got a ton of planets still to probe. I don't understand how you guys finished this game so quickly. I don't feel like I'm playing slow...

Speaking of probing, I was scanning our Sol system last night and when I started scanning Uranus, I could have swore she said "probing Uranus" when I launched the first probe. But because it was late I had the TV turned way down and couldn't hear it very well. And I couldn't get her to say it again. Can anyone confirm this?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-12-2010 02:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When you can choose your characters for the mission, who is in the second slot from the left? Mine is still blank. And I'm afraid that I might have killed he or she off in ME1, so I may never see him in ME2. Can anyone tell me if I might find this person later on?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-12-2010 02:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

None of your potential team-mates are ones that could have possibly died in ME1. The second slot is a "Special" character, and I believe the last squad mate it's possible to recruit.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-12-2010 02:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok cool, so I just need to be patient...

PostPosted: 02-12-2010 06:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

replaying on hardcore- you're missing out if you played on normal. The combat is intense and has real strategy, it's epic instead of the running all-you-can-rape-buffet that it is on normal.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 12:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, my first playthrough was on Insanity, and going back playing it on Easy really does the combat a disservice. I'm doing it so I can have both a pure Paragon Shepard and a pure Renegade as well as my "Meet somewhere in the middle" Shepard, and I've been tempted several times to turn the difficulty back up, as is loses all of its nuances at lower difficulties.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 03:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've just started again as a female shepard. Feels a a bit wierd having a different Shepard.

PostPosted: 02-13-2010 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bang garrus and talk to the doctor about it.

Vanguard is hard as fuck on hardcore. The shockwave and charge become useless once you get enemies with armor and shields.

What I've been doing is using squad cryo, inferno ammo (doesn't override squad), and charging guys with the schimitar or the initial SMG, then running like hell. It's pretty ballsy but nothing else works.

Btw, the first SMG (forgot the name) is actually much better than the other one- if you click it, it will fire full auto, and at close range it + melee will take care of almost anything.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 09:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Yeah, my first playthrough was on Insanity, and going back playing it on Easy really does the combat a disservice. I'm doing it so I can have both a pure Paragon Shepard and a pure Renegade as well as my "Meet somewhere in the middle" Shepard, and I've been tempted several times to turn the difficulty back up, as is loses all of its nuances at lower difficulties.

What is considered to be pure Paragon and pure Renegade?

PostPosted: 02-13-2010 09:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he means always choosing blue (paragon) or red (renegade) actions and dialogue.*

*exception for punching the bitch reporter

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 04:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
I've just started again as a female shepard. Feels a a bit wierd having a different Shepard.

I always play with a female Shepard, as Jennifer Hale as a voice actor is an order of magnitude better than the wooden pleb they got to play male Shepard.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 08:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, because being a dude who plays as a woman whos voice is Cinderella from the movies isn't gay.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.