Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        so this ps3 thing... 2 or 3 years on...?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: so this ps3 thing... 2 or 3 years on...?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i've had a ps3 since launch. when i bought it i was excited about the next gen of games etc. but as i reflect upon it... it seems i've lost all faith in the thing. bluray is nice... but i dont realy give a shit about the difference in pixil quality... after the first few minutes of wow... thats crisp.. it adds nothing to the experience really...

games which should have been good but sucked : killzone 2, heavenly sword, mgs4, gta4, etc etc etc

games after 2 years or something im still waiting for: gt5, ffxiii, any good rpg's or driving games or fps...

games i've liked: wipeout hd, uncharted 1 & 2... ummmmm yeah all the rest are cross platform... wtf sony? way to fuck up royally imho

now when i think about it... and this is what shocked me... the hexbox 360 has had all of those things... (racing games, fps, 3rd ps, driving games rpgs..) fuck me, i think im gonna jump ship... or just stick to pc gaming...

thoughts on this gens epic console battle... that is now seeming to be a little one sided...?

Last edited by fKd on 02-01-2010 04:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 04:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get a 360. PS3 = FAIL.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 05:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get a PSP and play GT PSP until GT5 comes out.

Also, getting a console before there are any games you want on it is moronic.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 07:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It really is amazing what MS did w/ the 360 in 2 generations, even with the MASSIVE hardware failures.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 09:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
It really is amazing what MS did w/ the 360 in 2 generations

Not really....considering the XBox is/was/always-will-be a modified PC. In taking what they knew about hardware/software (the XBox is indeed a showcase for Direct X) and they didn't try to reinvent the wheel...so they had the easiest path to making their product. Compare that to Sony's convulted, multi-data-bus, "this memory goes here and that's final" type of contraption that they've hobbled themselves (and game developers) with since the first Playstation and it's easy to see why MS did it so quickly.

The massive hardware failures and the approach of not reinventing the wheel simply shows that MS is/was/always-will-be a lazy bunch of fucks who aren't concerned with quality...only profits. Uh...which I guess Sony is guilty of as well (who are also guilty of arrogance in that they won't change their architecture to make 3rd party development easier).

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 02-01-2010 10:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
The massive hardware failures and the approach of not reinventing the wheel simply shows that MS is/was/always-will-be a lazy bunch of fucks who aren't concerned with quality...only profits. Uh...which I guess Sony is guilty of as well (who are also guilty of arrogance in that they won't change their architecture to make 3rd party development easier).

You could say the 3rd party developers are lazy...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 12:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the 360 gets used for games in my house. The ps3 is used for films, music and sing star. I really dislike it as a gaming platform if I am honest.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 01:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
i've had a ps3 since launch.....?

I haven't and figure I've missed nothing :dork: so enlighten me :smirk:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 01:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Fender wrote:
It really is amazing what MS did w/ the 360 in 2 generations

Not really....considering the XBox is/was/always-will-be a modified PC. In taking what they knew about hardware/software (the XBox is indeed a showcase for Direct X) and they didn't try to reinvent the wheel...so they had the easiest path to making their product. Compare that to Sony's convulted, multi-data-bus, "this memory goes here and that's final" type of contraption that they've hobbled themselves (and game developers) with since the first Playstation and it's easy to see why MS did it so quickly.

true, but MS also did take a bit of Apple when it comes to small yet experience-enhancing innovations.
the first xbox was pretty meh, and I would choose the ps2 port over an xbox port any day.

the 360 however, they did things right. Sure they pull some moneysucking tricks like no wifi standard, but the whole way the Guide works and their bluetoothesque peripheral system (including lights to differentiate between players) is so logical that you would wonder why it hasn't been done before.

they may not have been the first but theyre the first to combine it in the way it is, and elegant to boot.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 01:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The casual gamer only buys one console. The fact that the 360 has a good online community, a variety of good games in different genres, and is cheaper than the ps3, will cinch the deal most of the time.
A few of the ps3 exclusives have had me on the fence about buying one, but when it boils down to buying a $300 console to play maybe three of four ps3 exclusives, there's no point.

I admit, I'm ignorant when it comes to the hardware costs of building a console, but I have to believe that it (along with other consoles, I'm not just bashing ps3) is marked up so incredibly high, couldn't they lower the price $50-$100 and still end up making a large profit while selling more units? Or would that alienate the consumers with too much money to burn who want to buy a ps3 simply because it's the most expensive and therefore think it's the best to own?

I guess what I'm saying is that selling a product that is more expensive than the more popular and totally capable competition seems like an incredibly poor business model.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 01:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nintendo, microsoft, sega, sony, they all lose big on the consoles. it has always been like this.
its the aftersales and games they make their profits on. why else do you think an "official" hdmi cable costs $30? :)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 02:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nintendo have been making profit on the Wii and DS since they were released...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 02:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

true, exception to the rule.
point still stands :[

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 02:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2009 was pretty much sonys year. two GOTY nominees (uncharted 2 and demon's souls) were ps3 exclusives and it also got pretty much all the other third party AAA titles too.

2010 has some other potential greats in titles like heavy rain and god of war 3.

i own both a 360 and a ps3 and i tell you now that i'd rather buy the ps3 version if available. the system is quieter, cooler and 10x better built. just a shame the online system isn't as good as microsofts, but at least it's free..

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 03:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And it's getting better as they blatantly rip more features from Live.
But yeah, I'm with you brisk; if a game's multiplatform, I'll buy it on the PS3, unless there are major technical advantages to be seen on the 360 version of a game. For example, if I were going to buy Bayonetta, I'd have to buy it on the 360.

By the way, am I still the only person here to have played Demon's Souls?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 04:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mass Effect 2
Gears of War 3
Alan Wake *cough*
Crackdown 2
Dead Rising 2
Lost Planet 2
Halo Reach
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Project Natal

All 360 exclusives this year...not a bad list...seems much nicer than the PS3 list

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplinterCell exclusive?
u trippin bro ?

[edit] oh on consoles u mean.. rite..

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 04:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Said it on a list I saw...take it that it is wrong then :P

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 04:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah SC is 360 exclusive for a while at least, and it looks damn interesting, glad to see they really tried to mix this new one up.

Sony had a good year last year, but this year looks like it may be back to the 360. Still if you have both, you cant go wrong really.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 05:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got a PS3 about 10 months ago as the two games my brother was interested in [Tekken 6 and Gran Turismo 5] were allegedly PS3 only [so we thought at the time]. I also did a bit of research on exclusives and found there wasn't really much of anything exclusive to the Xbox360 that I was interested in [aside from Gears of War 2 {Halo is shit}]. Many Xbox360 "exclusives" end up on the PC as well, and that's my platform of choice given the option between the three.

Fairly happy having gotten a PS3 at this point, God of War Collection [and God of War III soon], the Uncharted series is great, you've got gems like LittleBigPlanet and I'm told Demon's Souls is quite good :paranoid:

It may not have been a great platform to start with, but I think it's come into its own over the past year or so. As well, Bluray is nice, not necessarily for playing movies [though that's very convenient in and of itself], but also because you won't have to dick around with multiple DVDs when games start getting too big to fit on a single disc.

Mat Linnett wrote:
By the way, am I still the only person here to have played Demon's Souls?

Soon! After 3 weeks of "investigation" at their post office, the website I ordered it from finally gave me store credit for the lost copy. So I've repurchased it hoping second time's the lucky charm =x

o'dium wrote:
Still if you have both, you cant go wrong really.

True :up:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh no, after 20 hours you mean you have to get up and change the disk... FUCK...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 05:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought Penny Arcade put it pretty good when they said the following;

Quote:
When Final Fantasy VIII was delivered on four discs, we rejoiced because presumably that meant there was more game to play.

It also gave you a nice, spoiler-free methodology for determining where people were chronologically situated in games of epic length. If you were talking to someone about Final Fantasy VII, for example, and they informed you that they hadn't yet completed the first disc, you know that this person is about to order the Anguish combo with a side of Desolation.

These days, swapping a disc twice in twenty to forty hours of gameplay is apparently on par with having to perform your own tonsilectomy, using only the tiny scissors which come folded into a Swiss Army knife and a swig of bottom shelf vodka. IGN warns that we "shouldn't get too comfy" while playing Mass Effect 2.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i no rite?!? lewl ;G

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 06:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have both, no issues.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 06:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played Demons Souls. Was alright. There is no way 5-2 should have made it into that game without further optimization. Also, game got easy after Flamemonger. I have to admit, the first few times you get invaded by a BP was pretty awesome, really gets the adrenaline pumping. It sucks that its pretty much mandatory that you have to read the wiki page just to figure out how to make a decent weapon.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 06:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ive been playing MAG for a couple days now. Its quite good.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 06:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MAG is terrible...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 08:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You sure?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 08:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Donny, I'm pretty sure I read that Dead Rising 2 is platform agnostic, as is Lost Planet 2.
In fact, a quick Google for PS3 Dead Rising 2 and PS3 Lost Planet 2 shows that they are indeed not exclusive.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 10:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use my PS3 as a general entertainment device more than a gaming console. There is one thing it can do better than any other console out there...it has a decent web browser that actually runs websites that deliver video using Flash. Netflix, my unlimited account on megavideo and surfthechannel have basically combined to turn the PS3 into my new set-top-box. Plus the upconverting dvd/bluray player is solid.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Correction... It has a "piss poor" web browser... I find mine crashes a hell of a lot, freezing the PS3 and forcing me to do a hard reset. But at least it has one.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It does crash on occassion, but it also readily supports youtube [most flash based video players in fact] and so is great for watching stuff like Zero Punctuation etc. For sure it's piss poor compared to a PC browser, but just being "good enough" is all it really needs to be.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 01:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theres talk on some sites Mozilla have been hired for a complete overhaul of it, which I hope is true.

Don't quite understand how it runs so slow and can only have 5 pages open max, either... Very odd...

Like I said before, its better than nothing. Just wish the bugs were ironed out (like sometimes when you exit the browser back to the XMB the pad refuses to work for a good 5 seconds).

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually bought a PS3 last month, just because I wanted to have both consoles seated under my TV. My thoughts on both...

PS3:
Better controller
Looks nicer, especially the slim.
Blu-Ray is nice
The menu screen is much much slicker, the text, everything looks cleaner.

XBOX 360:
Easier to use online system
Better selection of games
Games seem to run better on it

I would say that I am unimpressed with the PS3 overall. Nearly every game I have played on it, has some slowdown. Dragon Age on the PS3 is painful to play. The only games that look and run nice are the PS3 exclusives, like Uncharted 2 (which is superb). It seems that when they go across multi platforms, the PS3 is weaker.

Also, PS Home, WTF is that shit?

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 02:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:

i'd rather buy the ps3 version if available. the system is quieter,

360 - always install the game to the hard drive. It runs very quiet then.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.