Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Heavy Rain

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Heavy Rain

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 04:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The demo is out now if you followed that little web experience thingy (or just follow the instructions here) and as expected, I found it to be unlike anything i've played before. In fact, the closest comparison would be that to old skool point and click adventure games like The Longest Journey, where the pace is slow but you find yourself getting really deep into the world and the characters. I played the demo 3 times and each outcome was slightly different (though you cannot die in the demo scenes). The controls are weird at first, but you soon get used to them. Oh and the graphics are exceptional to the point where they're probably the best i've seen in any game, UC2 and Crysis included. Maybe it's just the art style or attention to detail, but the world is just so believable.

Anyway, I think it's gonna be one of those games you'll either really like or really hate. I pre-ordered the special edition a few weeks ago and i'm pleased to say I have no intention of cancelling it now.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 05:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I mentioned this game ages ago. It's a pity it's not coming to PC. Transient will buy it, he just loves QT events. :smirk:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit = Amazing game, full of win, simply epic and totally under rated.

The demo of Heavy Rain = The Krouser fight from Resident Evil 4... Over... And over... And over... And over... If I wanted to watch a movie and fail at it all the time, I would watch Hannah Montana... If you catch my drift...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ dork

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From what I gleaned this is another sort of attempt at an 'interactive movie' dealio, right?
I'm just not too psyched about such a concept.

For instance, Mass Effect hits the balance right between narrative choices and action, but my impression is that this game leans too heavily just on narrative.
And that's not what I want out of a game.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 11:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit = Amazing game, full of win, simply epic and totally under rated.

The demo of Heavy Rain = The Krouser fight from Resident Evil 4... Over... And over... And over... And over... If I wanted to watch a movie and fail at it all the time, I would watch Hannah Montana... If you catch my drift...

Does it not become tiresome being wrong so often? :shrug:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 11:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How can somebody be wrong stating a personal opinion? Or is it only right when it doesn't conflict with you or that other wankers views?

Cunt off.

EDIT: Dick-lexia FTW.

Last edited by o'dium on 02-06-2010 11:56 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 11:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 11:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
From what I gleaned this is another sort of attempt at an 'interactive movie' dealio, right?
I'm just not too psyched about such a concept.

For instance, Mass Effect hits the balance right between narrative choices and action, but my impression is that this game leans too heavily just on narrative.
And that's not what I want out of a game.

I'd like to catch her drift...if you catch my drift.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'd like to double her entendre...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 01:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
How can somebody be wrong stating a personal opinion? Or is it only right when it doesn't conflict with you or that other wankers views?

Cunt off.

EDIT: Dick-lexia FTW.

This just in; o'dium is mad :o

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i guess the real test of the game will be the actual storyline and how it works the narrative. i think it got a 9.5 in game informer or some other popular games mag, so i imagine it's not all that bad :)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 07:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I was correct; o'dium was wrong.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 08:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sony has pulled advertising for magazines that review it poorly. The above is one review. Heavy Rain is the first big hitter this year, of course the scores will be random.

Also who honestly gives a shit about scores these days, they are one persons oppinion on a game he/she may not even like. Play the demo, if you like it, fantastic, if not move on. Its not hard.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 09:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what she said.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i dont understand the big hype surrounding this game. reminds me of the overhyped spore game.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 11:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks good to me. Will play soon

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-07-2010 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

more reviews in...

Official PlayStation Magazine UK: 9/10
Eurogamer France: 9/10
Gamesmaster UK: 91%

so far so good..

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-12-2010 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

89 average on Metacritic

I just got the demo yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. The controls do take some getting used to. I especially dislike the simultaneous button press sequences. In the ones at the crime scene where you're climbing up the hill to the highway, there's bits where you have to press and hold 6 buttons in a row. It's like some sort of retarded single player 2 hand version of Twister. Lame.

Still though, I really liked the way the FBI guy gathers clues etc. Plus it has great noir-ish atmosphere. Might have to get this now.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 03:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played the demo and thought it was amazing to be honest. My sort of game.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 03:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
there's bits where you have to press and hold 6 buttons in a row.

Don't you just let go of them when they go from the screen? I think you only have to have 2 pressed at time, maybe 3 briefly.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought the instructions said you had to hold them all until the sequence disappeared from the screen, but I may have misinterpreted it. If you can release the ones that disappear before the sequence ends, then that makes it a bit more bearable for sure.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 04:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
U4EA wrote:
there's bits where you have to press and hold 6 buttons in a row.

Don't you just let go of them when they go from the screen? I think you only have to have 2 pressed at time, maybe 3 briefly.

this

its also the number one pre-order title on amazon. i hope it does well commercially as well as critically. very few games have the balls to do something different.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-15-2010 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like one big quick-time event. Pass. :down:

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-16-2010 07:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I enjoyed the demo and will probably pick it up.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-17-2010 07:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 12:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Playing the full version now and it's great :up:

Real bold idea taking it in this direction, but I think it works well. I'd like to see others take this platform forward with more and better ideas, but then it runs the risk of getting old fast. And it's a potential disaster if you haven't got good writing, voice acting etc. So much rides on that and there's no "gamplay" as such to salvage a disaster.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 01:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can also play the full version on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjNsqPxO2Ws

pretty cool, rofl.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 01:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i have a friend who works at sony testing games. he said some of the people he works with cried playing this. fags.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 05:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After all the hype, playing a bit of the demo, seeing more of the full game and reading the endless "NINE OUT OF TEN!!!!" reviews, I simply cannot get excited about this game on any level...not even in the slightest. The fact that you can play the fucking thing on YouTube tells me succinctly that this is not really a game, no matter how many game reviewers or fanboys claim it to be one. It's a long, interactive cutscene based on QTEs and that's it. I am seriously willing to bet real money they didn't even need level designers for this game....only an army of artists.

And I have to absolutely laugh at the reviewer in shaft's video post that said the animation in the game was really good. Are these people serious or just trying to be part of the hype? The game is chock full of wonky walk cycles, jittery/alien-looking facial animations (the character's faces look like they have no idea what type of emotion they're supposed to show and instead come across as someone who actually needs to practice smiling in front of a mirror) and even the animations of the cars moving around (something any animator with 1 week's experience can pull off convincingly) look shit.

Sure...it's "something different" but whoopee fucking do.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 03-03-2010 05:48 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
i have a friend who works at sony testing games. he said some of the people he works with cried playing this. fags.

lol

I actually know gamers like that and - no lie - they actually are fags. Really effeminate fags. The kind that LawL fucks.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 05:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you think that could true then? i didn't believe him.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maybe this is not uncommon

Quote:
After trying three shops for the game upon our return, I finally tracked one down with copies to spare. I came home to an empty house, family out for the weekend, with nothing to do but play it. I want to stress the extent to which this is something that never happens. I dumped an entire day into the game.

When I came back the next day to continue my progress, I navigated the menu incorrectly and deleted my save. It even came up with a dialogue that was like, are you sure you want to do this? I assumed it was talking about something else, I guess. I couldn't imagine that it would be so easy to destroy your progress, and having done so, why I couldn't just resume from the last chapter I'd reached. I thought I had selected Continue, but I had not. I really don't understand it. I mean, this ain't my first time to the rodeo. I know how to navigate a Goddamned menu. Presumably.

By the time I had resolved myself to rebuild seven hours worth of play, the vast preponderance of the world's PlayStation 3 hardware couldn't play that game anyhow. There's Sunday gone. Monday evening, after satisfying his curiosity re: damselflies, I tucked in my heir and went downstairs to care for my virtual sons.

Virtually drying yourself off with a virtual towel virtually is not an act which endures repetition.

I put in just enough time to get to the end of the demo, at which point the game hard-locked the system. It's something people often wonder, and now, I've got conclusive proof: A videogame can make you cry.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 12:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
you can also play the full version on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjNsqPxO2Ws

pretty cool, rofl.

:olo: :olo: :olo:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
you think that could true then? i didn't believe him.

I know fag gamers that cry all the time while playing and - to be even more ridiculous - actually get emotional when seeing real locations in games they've been to. One gamer/fag I know had to "stop playing GTA San Andreas" because he lived in Los Angeles for a while and was freaking out about the fact that he could induce "so much random violence in his old neighborhood"....whatever the fuck that means.

I rolled my eyes, told him he was a fag for getting all fussed up and slapped him with my cock.

Don't kid yourself....there are ALOT of gamers out there who take this shit way too seriously. *cough* o'dium cockfag *cough*

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.