Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        We should make a game.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: We should make a game.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 05:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously, we've got artists, coders, probably a few writers, some people good with websites etc... Even some people with experience actualy making games. We should totaly make our own game and then we can all split the proceeds or make it free I don't care. :p

I myself can draw, I code a little bit and I know a little about 3D modeling. Anyone else in the mood to do a colaborative q3w game? during their spare time? :) Perhaps we could even get a sticky if peeps are interested...

Just testing the waters... I know our community isn't the biggest but it's got some real talent I think.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it should be called 'pedo hunt' and set in gramps house. you have to fight gramps to get the weapons for shooting pedos. he's like the first level boss (the training boss).

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm guessing he'd be wielding a shotgun :p

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

I myself

Moron.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the batch must've been extra special this week

plained
plained
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how about a dress designing game set in db fashion

the first level could be design for max titten enhancement for example!

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You'd be surprised how much money something like that could generate, my wife's been asking me to make something like that for ages, I bet there's a decent market out there for it. minus the boob enhancement.... or at least not make it the main point of the game :p

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 06:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
the batch must've been extra special this week

No shit. It's gotta be some of that wheelchair weed.

Κracus wrote:
Seriously...

...I myself can draw, I code a little bit and I know a little about 3D modeling.

Sucrak...you sound like some moron who just got his first Philips screwdriver set thinking he can be the lead engineer of an F1 racing team.

You think you're going to make anything worthwhile with your "little bit of coding" or your 'little bit of 3D modeling" knowledge? Or perhaps that you can draw you're telling us you'll be the concept artist? I can't wait to see what you scribble on the back of a Dominoes Pizza menu.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You've seen my art before actualy I don't think it's that bad. As far as coding and modeling goes I've made a few games for my son. There's no goals to the game it's just pretty colors for him to enjoy watching but he's only 2 and objectives aren't his thing yet but learning colors is.

I'm just really asking if ppl here would be interested in a colaborative work but obviously my stash must be good cause I dunno why I thought this might fly. *shrug*

I did this in about 20 minutes...

Give me a few days and a concept to work on stuff and I can pump out some pretty decent stuff AND I'm able to covert it into usable sprites and even model a 3D version of it.

I've been working on my own projects on and off.

Not much I know and I'm using FF2 sprites but I'm still capable enough to create a 2D tile based engine using XNA. Sure it's not going to win me any awards but what do you expect I'm compeltely self taught. *shrug*

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 06:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ACtualy you know what, on revision I just realized I didn't make that tile-engine using XNA, I think I used torque for that.... but I did create a tile engine later myself using XNA... I just don't have any pics of the one I created...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 06:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hear Team Blur is hiring...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

... but not releasing

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 07:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've tried to rally the troops for a few ideas but there a few problems with it.

1) GKY is right
2) Most people don't have the spare time to commit to a project of this magnitude (and yes it is a monster)
3) Those with the time and talent usually just do their own small projects

I'm currently learning the ins and outs of development in linux with opengl with some small genetic algorithm and neural network projects. It's pretty cool how much more fun and satisfying it is to write all the code by hand in gedit and then fire off a custom bash file to do the building.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 08:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I can relate to that. I've been essentialy doing the same thing but just in XNA and a little Kodu (fun game from xna community)

I was hoping that some peeps that have some key abilities might be interested if they have an idea of something they've been working on like me.

My problem is mainly that I have a lot of stuff i've worked on for fun but I never actualy complete anything or really have an exact idea of what I'm going to be making when I start. The reason for that is cause I'm doing it for practice, not to actualy make something. I'm seeing if I can put code together to get something functional.

From that I know what's missing like story, characters, art assets etc... The other reason I haven't actualy started and completed an actual project and just practicing is that I don't have a pc at home but that might change soon with this new job I'm starting next week.

So I know I'll be working on a project, but from a creative standpoint, 2 people are better than 1... So I thought I'd check out what people here thought. :)

and yeah, I do realize what a timesuck stuff like this is. I'm not thinking anything too complicate thought like a 3D FPS, although I could be convinced but I'm thinking more along the lines of something simple but original.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10 print "pauly is cooly"
20 goto 10
run

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ ending sucked

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus, every now and then some kid registers on the forum and posts their, "I haz grate ideas 4 game mod, u can build 4 me?" thread in LEM. To which we ask, "What can you contribute?" and the reply is usually, "I haz grate idea but no skillz, I can meeybe draw a kat."

We usually laugh at them and then I lock the thread.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 10:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Kracus, every now and then some kid registers on the forum and posts their, "I haz grate ideas 4 game mod, u can build 4 me?" thread in LEM. To which we ask, "What can you contribute?" and the reply is usually, "I haz grate idea but no skillz, I can meeybe draw a kat."

I haven't seen one of those threads in a few months

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 10:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

I realize that dude but I actualy have code that I've written engines in and art that's not spastic stickmen to show I'm not just some random spaz :) I don't care if no one else here is interested I figured I'd just ask just in case. I understand it's not likely to happen :ninja:

I actualy have made 2 functional games for the xbox 360 that my kid plays once in awhile, one is a fireworks type game that shoots colored fireworks that follows a glowing ball thing and the other is a FPS type game where he shoots colored balls that get eaten by a fish. Both are pointless and just made to entertain him during spouts of unreasonable 2 year old tantrums :smirk:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus...it's simple: to make a game worth being serious about (and a game that will actually have a chance of turning a profit) you'll need an experienced, dedicated team of professional-level coders, artists and designers working full time hours for three to six months just to get a functional proof of concept/prototype/playable demo up and running...and that's including tons of hacks and about $500,000 of investment just to get it off the ground. And that's assuming your engine is at least halfway done/capable.

You obviously haven't thought this through and obsidian is 100% correct: those that come up with these wild ideas with nothing to contribute (unless you have an inside route to funding/publishers) usually get laughed at.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-06-2010 12:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but maybe, just maybe

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 04-06-2010 07:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
it should be called 'pedo hunt' and set in gramps house. you have to fight gramps to get the weapons for shooting pedos. he's like the first level boss (the training boss).

That's a good idea, and the end boss could be seremtan.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-06-2010 09:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For an individual or small team, it's possible to generate decent revenue from a game built on facebook or the iPhone. All you need is talent, social engineering, determination, and a bit of luck.

Have fun :)

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 04-06-2010 10:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rage mapping and mods most likely cannot be done with 1 person alone.
there will have to be teamwork to pump out new maps.

also .. who can manage this gaggly crew of misfits here without choosing suicide?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-07-2010 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

:olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.