Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Hey Q3W family! I got married!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Hey Q3W family! I got married!

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 07:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok you magnificent goons, I got married to my childhood sweetheart and friend of 25 years on Saturday, August 14th. We got hitched on the lawn between the houses where we used to live when we were in middle school, same place I proposed to her in January. It was an epic ceremony, tons of friends and family, some I hadn't seen in 20 years. We had the reception at the Elks club, where everyone in my family has had their receptions and my grandparents had their 50th anniversary, it's a tradition.
We had a short honeymoon in NYC, we stayed at an awesome B&B on E. 58th street on the Upper East Side in Manhattan. It's so close to everything, we just got metro passes for the subway and rode all over the place. Ground Zero, Coney Island, Washington Square Park, the Empire State building, NYU, it was awesome. I love NYC, the only way to see it is on foot. We met some cool people, all very nice. I know that there are places in the city where you don't want to go, but I think it's gotten a bad rap. We spent most of the ride to Coney Island (I wanted a Nathan's Famous hot dog) talking to an MTA employee about the city.
So, here are a bunch of pix, more to come later. These were all taken with my phone.

Note that I am testing the photo linking here, will add more photos once I get this sorted.

Ok, here's the lawn where we got married. My mom in the middle, wife's sister on the right, my stepson and the wedding cat. The cat just showed up while we were setting up and orbited around the whole time we were there.

This is the view from our terrace at the B&B. It's called the Ivy Terrace and it's well worth it. Parking costs were a gouge, but the garage was right next door.

My lovely bride, Sonya

The Plaza Hotel, just four blocks away from our B&B, as was Central Park, FAO Schwarz, the Apple Store, and tons of other stuff.

The entrance to the Apple store. This was awesome, there was only the top of the staircase and a clear, cylindrical elevator in the big glass cube, the whole store is underground. What was weird is that each morning there were about 1000 Chinese tourists just hanging out here.

Some tool in front of FAO Schwarz

Statue erected in Times Square to commemorate the 65th anniversary of VJ Day and the famous photograph.

Radio City Music Hall, this one didn't come out very well, it was getting dark.

Ground Zero. WTC7 is already completely rebuilt, but not much has been accomplished on the other two. The new building has about three stories completed and the memorial is going to be a fountain and will look great if they ever finish it. I have a few other pictures on my camera (don't have the data cable with me so I can't get the pix off) of the memorial plaques for the firefighters that died. What's amazing is that Engine Company 10 is RIGHT there and is still in operation. I simply can't imagine what a hellish experience it must have been to be there on that day. The place where the buildings stood is relatively small, it must have been a nightmare.

Me helping some fool sort his shit out.

This freak in Washington Square Park would act like a robot for a minute or so if you threw a dollar in his spittoon. He had spraypainted himself with copper-colored paint. There were a couple other nuts meandering around, including one that was quoting Shakespeare LOUDLY at people for money or smokes.

The view southward from the 86th floor of the Empire State building. Note the Flatiron building in the center, it and the Chrysler building are my favorite buildings in NYC. The thing that I loved about NYC in general and the top of the ESB in particular was the fact that there were SO MANY tourists from other countries there. It made me think that despite all of our government's idiocy and stupid, aggressive shit they've done to other nations, people still think that America is a great place and still want to come here to visit.

I think this was looking north, I was holding my phone out over the edge of the building and taking shots almost straight down. This made the wife VERY nervous, but it made for some great shots. I love the huge range of architecture styles in NYC, it's cool to spot the different ages of the buildings by their widths and heights.

Here's the rather phallic Nathan's Famous sign at Coney Island. That place has seen better days, it's pretty much a shithole now, but there's a lot of renovation going on. I got a couple shots of the Cyclone coaster, but they're on my camera. I would have loved to have seen the place back in its heyday when it was a really nice amusement park. What's great is that you ride the subway down, get off and bang, you're right there.

Found these bacon flavored jelly beans in this awesome three-story candy store right near the B&B. They were on a shelf right above the meatball chewing gum. They also had $16 jawbreakers the size of softballs and 32oz chocolate bars.

This was the Can't Say No sundae we had at Serendipity on E. 60th Street. There was a 40 minute wait to get into the place, but it was worth it. The sundae was a wedge of peanut butter pie with graham cracker crust, vanilla ice cream, bananas, hot fudge, and whipped cream. We couldn't finish it, it was too rich. This place also serves a $1000 sundae, it has a ton of gold on it, you have to order it 48 hours in advance, it's fucking ridiculous.

View of the Plaza Hotel from Central Park.

Doorman at FAO Schwarz, what an awesome toy store. I could have spent ten grand in that place, easy.

The giant piano floor in FAO Schwarz, I think this is the one that was used in the Tom Hanks movie Big.

That's it for now, I will post more when I get back to NC and get the rest of the pix. I wish we'd had more time in the city, but I only have so much vacation time and we have to get back to NC and move into our new apartment.

I figure I've been posting on this forum for so damn long you pricks are like a second family, and I wanted to share all this awesomeness with you.

Fags.

Last edited by Nightshade on 08-18-2010 07:40 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 07:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats NS :D

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats NS :)

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is awesome. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats!

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 07:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's really been awesome. The last couple of years have been extraordinarily difficult for me in many respects, had to let go of a lot of illusions, go through a lot of pain, and force myself to learn a lot about myself. But, I have grown a tremendous amount and I am happier now than I ever have been. Life is good, very, very good, and it's getting better.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Know what you mean NS, i took a job in Africa to reboot my life and it's been the best times of my life.
Sounds like you got your shit together

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

congrats :D :up:

You mustve played the same tune that Hanks did on the piano ?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 08:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
Thanks guys, it's really been awesome. The last couple of years have been extraordinarily difficult for me in many respects, had to let go of a lot of illusions, go through a lot of pain, and force myself to learn a lot about myself. But, I have grown a tremendous amount and I am happier now than I ever have been. Life is good, very, very good, and it's getting better.

:) :up:

Congratulations rasta

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 08:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
congrats :D :up:

You mustve played the same tune that Hanks did on the piano ?

lol, thought about it, but we were in a bit of a hurry. Had to score some swag for the kids and get back to the B&B to check out.
I really can't stress enough just how awesome that place is. Here's the website:http://www.ivyterrace.com/ We stayed in the Ivy Suite, it was great. Huge, comfortable bed, nice hardwood floors, fridge stocked with breakfast stuff, it was a great launching pad to explore the city.

Ax, this really does feel like a life reboot. I'm nowhere near where I want to be, but for the first time in my life I feel like I have a real shot at getting there. I'm not going to get into all the mess I had to live with for 16 years with my first wife, but let's just say that things weren't ever going to get any better. I don't feel that way anymore and it's amazing. I'm glad to hear that you're having an awesome time on the Dark Continent.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 08:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

congrats sir

in before more hate

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 08:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grats

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol what kind of morons gets married?... wait!...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fucking sweet!

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 08:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, you didn't learn your lesson...

Congratz...:smirk:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats you stupid, stupid, stupid fag.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like when a plan comes together.

footnote, the piano from big is actually in the please touch museum in philadelphia.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

congratulations to mr and mrs ns :)

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 09:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you hit that?

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats NS, your positive mental attitude makes me feel much more cheerful about my own impending midlife crisis!

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 10:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congratulation Nightshade :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pictures or... bah nm. Congrats!

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 11:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice one baldy.

also, you got owned in the apple store.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grats dude :up:

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats. Friends fer 25 years. ftw

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

congs sir!

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but i do need to add...anyone who gets married more than once is a moron...

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 01:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats fella

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 02:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey congrats NS! Good luck with the 2nd part of your life :D

Been to NYC last year and been to a lot of the same places like you did. I really want to go back a couple of times. There's so much to see and do in NYC.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 02:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
nice one baldy.

also, you got owned in the apple store.

I did, I really want an iPad now, despite the fact that I have absolutely no reason to get one.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you weren't getting married I would suggest to go kill your self on the last statement alone :mad:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gratz sir

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 04:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats mang... the wife is purty :)

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 04:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
if you weren't getting married I would suggest to go kill your self on the last statement alone :mad:

I'm not so much of a hater that I can't recognize a slick product when I see one. The iPad is awesome.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-18-2010 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Already congratulated you on FB, so fuck u...

Nightshade wrote:
This freak in Washington Square Park would act like a robot for a minute or so if you threw a dollar in his spittoon. He had spraypainted himself with copper-colored paint.

I saw that dude in Toronto, he's a crazy pop-and-locker.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.