Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        L A Noire

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: L A Noire

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

16 hours?? Games are so short these days.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

~15 hours sounds about average to me, and sounds reasonable for most games to come out in the last decade or so. When considering the length, you also have to consider the amount of content that's presented within each case. The sheer amount of discussion/voice acting... it all takes a lot of time. Related to that, there are multiple ways to solve a case depending on the clues you are able to find and the answers you're able to correctly identify as being truthful or lies. I am sure it takes ~15 hours no matter how you play it (on the first play-through, at least) but because there are multiple paths (in a way) to the end of every case, there's a lot of "game" that can be experienced on a second run.

Also, since I pre-ordered this, I got the Naked City case, which I'm on right now (somewhere in disc 3). Seems like one of those-hour long ones. Glad I pre-ordered.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 01:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am not really liking the interrogation process too much. It just seems like guess work.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 01:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It will be guesswork if you don't have all the right clues and don't check the facts. If you do have them, then its just a process of elimination and they are quite easy.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
~15 hours sounds about average to me, and sounds reasonable for most games to come out in the last decade or so. When considering the length, you also have to consider the amount of content that's presented within each case. The sheer amount of discussion/voice acting... it all takes a lot of time. Related to that, there are multiple ways to solve a case depending on the clues you are able to find and the answers you're able to correctly identify as being truthful or lies. I am sure it takes ~15 hours no matter how you play it (on the first play-through, at least) but because there are multiple paths (in a way) to the end of every case, there's a lot of "game" that can be experienced on a second run.

Also, since I pre-ordered this, I got the Naked City case, which I'm on right now (somewhere in disc 3). Seems like one of those-hour long ones. Glad I pre-ordered.

There is zero re-playability in my opinion. You do get multiple choices occasionally, but as a whole, missions are very linear and will almost always play out the same, regardless of what you choose in interrogations. It's definitely very different to Heavy Rain, which had real consequences for the story depending on your choices. When LA Noire was finished, I felt pretty satisfied and it was done. Moving on!

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 03:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
I am not really liking the interrogation process too much. It just seems like guess work.

I know what you mean, but just don't accuse someone of lying unless you know you have hard evidence to back it up. If in doubt... use doubt! And if you're still wrong, you probably missed a vital clue somewhere along the way. Many clues/evidence are only achieved if you actually get the clues out of someone you interrogated earlier. Many witnesses act as evidence/witnesses for the next person you speak to, and so on.

If you really fuck it up, just start/quit and you'll restart from the previous safe point, usually outside the door.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 04:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
I finished it yesterday. Generally a very good game, but the formula does start to grate a little by the end

No shit if you play it from start to end in... what... three days?

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
brisk wrote:
I finished it yesterday. Generally a very good game, but the formula does start to grate a little by the end

No shit if you play it from start to end in... what... three days?

Nope, leaked about a week early sir. Took me about a week to finish, playing a few hours every day. I've said it before and i'll say it again, if i'm spending money pre-ordering a game, then i'm sure as shit not letting people who pirate it play it before me. So I just download whenever it leaks and support the developer by buying it. Best of both words and I have absolutely no qualms in doing it.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 06:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You found it boring towards the end, there was zero replayability so you canceled your order. Don't tell us you gave up $60 on principal after you were already finished with it.

Also modding your console and downloading 7GB is a lot of work just to play the games that you "preordered". Don't try to sound like you're Mr. Honest.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, you got it Shaft. I've never spent a single penny on a video game and i'm a chronic liar on the internet. Thanks for pointing that out.

Not quite sure where all these games on Steam came from, but thanks to the person who magically put them on my account for me! Also, quite weird how by the time my actual order arrived from amazon on Friday, I still hadn't even finished the game and used the retail third disc to finish it. But hey, i'm a liar. Believe nothing I say, because Mr. Bitter on the internet said so!

PS. Downloading 7gb from usenet takes me about 30 minutes. Modding a PS3 even less so. I'm interested in having a PS3 that offers proper multimedia functionality (namely MKV support), not being a skint flint on games. Believe what you want, but I won't lose sleep over it. Until distributors get their head out of their ass and offer everyone in the world the game at the same time, it's a practice i'll have no qualms in continuing.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
proper multimedia functionality (namely MKV support)

That would be a great addition for XBox 360 as well (with H.264 support) but I'm not going to mod my console. Too afraid they'll ban my Live account.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 08:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
Yeah, you got it Shaft. I've never spent a single penny on a video game and i'm a chronic liar on the internet. Thanks for pointing that out.

Not quite sure where all these games on Steam came from, but thanks to the person who magically put them on my account for me! Also, quite weird how by the time my actual order arrived from amazon on Friday, I still hadn't even finished the game and used the retail third disc to finish it. But hey, i'm a liar. Believe nothing I say, because Mr. Bitter on the internet said so!

PS. Downloading 7gb from usenet takes me about 30 minutes. Modding a PS3 even less so. I'm interested in having a PS3 that offers proper multimedia functionality (namely MKV support), not being a skint flint on games. Believe what you want, but I won't lose sleep over it. Until distributors get their head out of their ass and offer everyone in the world the game at the same time, it's a practice i'll have no qualms in continuing.

I guess I was right, since you posted a dumb picture of Shepard instead of yourself holding the disc.

I never said you never spend a penny on games. Obviously there is no way to circumvent mp pc games unless you want to play on Himatchi with other poor people. You also spent $1000 on headphones while trying to convince your wax clogged ears that you could hear the difference. Maybe thats why you need to steal games. Also good to know that you modded your console so you could steal games AND movies in mkv format from usenet. cuz last time I checked PSN had a video store which works great (I use it all the time). Lets keep it real, no one mods their console for legal reasons.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Even though shaft is a complete and utter cunt with no signs of redemption I have to agree with him. Your story's plausibility is too corny even for a children's book. But it's ok, i torrent games here and there myself.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol @ having to post pics to prove you own games to q3w now. sure, i'll just go take a picture of my disc, my receipt and upload my tax return while i'm at it. i'll get right on it! :olo:

and you said it yourself. if i can afford to spend $4000 on an audio setup, do you really think i'm so poor as to be able to afford a video game? think about it.

also lol @ using the psn video store to watch films. if that is really your justification for why modders don't need to unlock their console, then i give up. i suppose you'll want me to post pics of my blu-ray collection now too? :olo:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 11:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
lol @ having to post pics to prove you own games to q3w now. sure, i'll just go take a picture of my disc, my receipt and upload my tax return while i'm at it. i'll get right on it! :olo:

You can't becasue you dont own it. We understand.

Quote:
and you said it yourself. if i can afford to spend $4000 on an audio setup, do you really think i'm so poor as to be able to afford a video game? think about it.

You steal games and movies, you probably think its alright to steal audio equipment also.

Quote:
also lol @ using the psn video store to watch films. if that is really your justification for why modders don't need to unlock their console, then i give up. i suppose you'll want me to post pics of my blu-ray collection now too? :olo:

Yeah, it is. unless you're trying to tell me you rip your 30GB blurays in order to watch them at poor quality on your modded ps3 instead of taking 2 seconds to put in a disc...rofl. My ps3 does what its supposed to and there is a video rental store and netflix. I don't get mad at Sony because it doesn't play illegal movies and games I download from the internet. I certainly wouldn't post about how its my right to steal games because someone else stole a disc before release and uploaded it and thats somehow the game company or publishers fault.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think you need to assume more sir :up:

ps, the whole point of putting these films on a usb hdd is so you don't need to wear out the ps3 lazer and have a convenient place for all your tv shows/movies, with immediate access to them. it's exactly the same thing as using a media center/server. i suppose microsoft are advocating piracy with that too? :olo:

oh and the uk doesn't have netflix. mkv = perfect quality btw. i just bought the twin peaks gold boxset and ripped that only the other day, despite having seen that show a million times. learn to rip. and learn to troll while you're at it, cos this shit is embarrassing.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know Brisk. I can stand up for his character. The tight cunt would never pay for a game.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 01:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
I know Brisk. I can stand up for his character. The tight cunt would never pay for a game.

true dat

oh and i just spent £80 on a 12" record friday actually. i'll be sure to send the receipt to shaft in the post first thing tomorrow :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 01:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could we get a close up shot of the date on that receipt? Thanks...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 01:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
i think you need to assume more sir :up:

:olo:
nice shop, you didnt even get the right platform.....wait.....unless you're saying you modded your 360 also?..which requires disassembling it. That further proves my point about the lengths you went through just to play games you already own. You tried to pass it off as a 3 second hack for ps3.

Quote:
ps, the whole point of putting these films on a usb hdd is so you don't need to wear out the ps3 lazer and have a convenient place for all your tv shows/movies, with immediate access to them. it's exactly the same thing as using a media center/server. i suppose Microsoft are advocating piracy with that too?

You better watch movies with your tv off so you dont wear that out also. A convenient place to store all your movies with super quick access is called a shelf next to your ps3. Microsoft doesn't advocate riping movies anymore then they advocate any other sort of criminal activity that happens on their operating system.

Quote:
and learn to troll while you're at it, cos this shit is embarrassing.

No, im really good at it. :olo:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So when I mentioned that I played disc 3 in retail, you thought I meant the PS3? lol, it's the 360 buddy. I own both and yes, both are modded.

Obviously I can't win. If I don't post proof, you assume i'm lying. When I do, you accuse it of being a photoshop. Pointless really, but there you go.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 01:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Brisk <3

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 02:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
So when I mentioned that I played disc 3 in retail, you thought I meant the PS3? lol, it's the 360 buddy. I own both and yes, both are modded.

Obviously I can't win. If I don't post proof, you assume i'm lying. When I do, you accuse it of being a photoshop. Pointless really, but there you go.

Honestly? I just want you to admit you steal games (and movies) and to apologize to everyone here for what you put us through. Thx.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

np, i'll stick the confession in the same parcel as the receipt, tax return and full household inventory :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol, Shaft is proper old school q3w.

Just completely detestable in every way.

A genuine and awkwardly blatant self-loather.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah and best yet, he hasn't changed a bit in the 12 years hes been registered. i do like a guy who is comfortable in his own bitterness :up:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds to me like he should have doubted brisk's story instead of calling it out as a lie without having proof in his casebook.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 10:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Brisk. You really don't see it do you? :(

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 11:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm a few cases into Arson, and... Ugh... Now its dragging. As soon as "that shit" happened" at the end of the Vice cases, I just hated my character and wanted him to do a complete 180. He seemed to make every choice in cutscenes I didn't want him to make in the cutscenes...

Plus the fact you can't skip 99% of the shit in the game is gonna make replaying it to get the five star ratings a total arse drag...

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 02:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Brisk. You really don't see it do you? :(

If you mean shaft's not so subtle attempts at trolling, then clearly not. But then, this forum is rarely worth more than a passing glance these days, so it's easy to miss these things.

o'dium wrote:
I'm a few cases into Arson, and... Ugh... Now its dragging. As soon as "that shit" happened" at the end of the Vice cases, I just hated my character and wanted him to do a complete 180. He seemed to make every choice in cutscenes I didn't want him to make in the cutscenes...

Plus the fact you can't skip 99% of the shit in the game is gonna make replaying it to get the five star ratings a total arse drag...

Yeah, I felt exactly the same way. The ending wasn't exactly satisfying either, sadly.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 02:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished the game. I can't remember ever feeling this melancholy after finishing a game before.

I will say one more thing about it. I really like the game's use of music in a crime scene. It's so sparsely written that the subtle cues that pop up when you cross over something you need to investigate actually fit in with the overall sound. I noticed that probably around my second or third crime scene and it's something I was able to admire from start to finish. Multifunctional music -- it sets the mood, it's era/content appropriate, and it's actually part of the gameplay. Obviously it's not catchy or "listenable" but for what it is, I'd say it's an example of the best way to use music in a game.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 08:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get off me you bummers.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spoiler question --

Still working the vice desk, but can someone tell me before I get further - does the homicide case (the werewolf) get anymore resolution in the game, or is it really as hastily and poorly concluded as they make it seem at the end of the homicide desk? There are so many loose ends that didn't get explained, like why every single suspect was running and some even admitted what they did - I figured we'd find something linking them to whoever was the real killer...for it to end with "oh, we got the guy but that's it because he's related to a famous politician" and nothing connecting the rest of the dots seemed a bit lame.

So, in one yes or no answer - do we get any further resolution/explanation about those cases? I'll find out anyhow, but I make it through about 1 case every two days with the time I have to play the game so I'd at least like the heads up.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 05:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:

whoa

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-27-2011 09:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally finished it. I think its one of the most over hyped games ever, but from Rockstar that isn't surprising.

The overall game experience itself is mediocre, the storyline kept me going until the completely lame ending (the fact that
the whole homicide serial killer never got revisited and a variety of other stuff). I skipped nearly all of the street crimes too. The interrogations were interesting at first but by the end I was just looking up a walkthrough to get through them.

I feel like they really wasted a lot of effort in designing a realistic LA as you do very little sightseeing like you would in GTA. I thought GTA IV was in a completely different league than this game.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.