Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        History of FPS games

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: History of FPS games

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 01:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Scarface wrote:
You're probably a fan of the health station game mechanic then?

One of the most intense gameplay experiences a gamer can have is being within 50 metres of a "safe house" in L4D and trying to make it there through the insanity. So yeah...I'm a huge fan.

fuck that noise. the best fps experience was spending over an hour reconning and planning just to have the entire operation hang by a thread. followed by an explosion of joy and adrenaline when the mission accomplished screen came up.
GRAW co-op on Hard; bullet equals killed and fuck health or respawns. restart mission, and oh yea random enemy spawn locations for all yall memorising momos.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
fuck that noise. the best fps experience was spending over an hour reconning and planning just to have the entire operation hang by a thread. followed by an explosion of joy and adrenaline when the mission accomplished screen came up.

You talking about Tribes 2 there..? Never really got into the whole serious clan matching stuff which is what i assume you mean, but aye that game was pretty much what dragged me into games like battlefield. Nothing like well organized squad action and seeing half the enemy team converge on your position supported by all kinds of heavy vehicles and being able to actually stop them dead. Or the opposite, running through or sneaking past their defenders and blowing things up :owned:

Also i must agree with GKY that l4d gave some extreme thrills and near raging, especially in versus (l4d1) or realism expert runs (l4d2). Felt very satisfying to complete Hard Rain on expert realism recently... what a complete bitch that was :D

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Health regen and third person cover system mechanics did ruin intensity and changed the way people approach combat situations.

Could you imagine dueling in Q3A with regen health? No need to time pickups or battle for megas anymore, you'd just go in all guns blazing in an open room, firing railguns at each other until someones screen turns red and then they'd run away. I know Q3A wasn't designed for this in mind, but this is exacty how games like COD and co play in general matches. It's just dull as shit and a lot of the strategy is removed, simply because you have less to worry about.

Don't get me started on third person cover. That has single handedly made level layouts split into two obvious zones: a combat area and a safe area. You can tell which one you're in, simply because theres a load of conveniently placed crates waiting for you.

I think this is why I found Demon's Souls so refreshing. It reminded me when games were actually challenging and didn't treat you like a retard with the attention span of a vole.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

some good points there, i think 3rd person cover could be used well, but it really has to be far more subtle in the presentation. also i think with more physics etc and destructible cover, it can be used well. just has not happened yet imo... (at least in the limited amount of games ive played as of late)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-24-2011 12:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm for health packs as well.
I just remember being scared shitless in Quake 2 when you had 10 health left and you heard the screeching sound of a berserker rubbing it's arm, or even worse, the tapping of the hind legs of a parasite.
You really didn't want to move on but you just had to, in the hopes of finding health.
That was way more awesome than hiding behind a crate.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-24-2011 01:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GoW2 did destructable cover very well. it also had dynamic enviroments meaning at some points the covers didnt appear untill the battle went down.
ie no visual cues vis-a-vis safezones.

still tho. chest-high walls :/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-24-2011 01:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The portion in GoW2 you're talking about was a bit shitty IMO. I felt so disconnected from the game at that point. It felt more like a shooting range than a natural* environment. Usually I'm not picky about realism and stuff, but extremely convenient chest high walls coming out of the floor everywhere was pushing the boundaries of my imagination a bit.

*) somebody warn Foo!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-24-2011 01:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i actually meant the places where columns collapse and you use them as cover. or when the parkinggarage explodes and you get to use the cars - if your partner pushes them off the edge that is.
awesome stuff.

the levers in the locust city were fail.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-24-2011 01:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh right. Yeah I meant the Locust city. I can't imagine why they did it that way. As if they were sick and tired of developing the game and simply wanted to rush it out.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.