Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        keyboard/mouse combos.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: keyboard/mouse combos.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 05:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hurled tea all over my desk earlier and even after dismantling it and cleaning with alcohol wipes half the buttons on my keyboard don't work and my trusty old mx518 is now completely fucked too. Currently i'm on my £12 wireless piece of shit from tesco that i use with my laptop.

What should I replace them with? I'm looking at going with logitech because until i finally fucked it my mx518 has taken years of abuse without a hiccup. I don't really want to spend more than £100 and I'm dubious of wireless due to lag.

I'm leaning towards this keyboard at the moment but i'm not sure i'd have much use for the LCD screen and it might piss me off more than anything else.

Also, this mouse

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 05:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I twice spilled drinks over my logitech led light space keyboard yet it still works :up:

Cost me like 60 euro's when i got it which is easily the most i've ever spent on a keyboard, but i've never regretted it.

EDIT: this one :)

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck it, i got them both. Snagged the keyboard on ebay as an unwanted gift for £50 and the mouse was £30 from amazon with free delivery. I got one of these as well: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Series-95 ... =8-1-fkmr0

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

...what's that slider button under the scroll wheel..? :question:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 05:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki, sexy keyboard. Backlit?

I've been waiting for the Razer Anansi, but its always "Pre-order now, available December" and its taking the piss now. Even though its an "MMO" keyboard it just means its got a few extra programable keys, buts its nice. I'm still rocking an MX5000 Bluetooth set up from about 75 years ago, and its insane how much it lags... Wired for me next time, defo.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Ryoki, sexy keyboard. Backlit?

yessir :)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ahh, balls, laptop style keys... I'm trying really hard to not go for one of those simply because I tend to hit about 90 keys at once... But damn its sexy...

I may pop out later see if I can demo it. May treat myself again.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 06:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gotta beat the VAT rise!

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 08:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have the G15 at home and it is great for gaming with VOIP software (set the display to show who is talking).

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
gotta beat the VAT rise!

hey man, don't you care about poor irish bankers at all?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

pure awesome, in both form and function. Solid construction (the best!) and the keys are top notch!...also being bluetooth it has amazing range! it's a full size keyboard with the fat trimmed off.

ps
I've used it on xp vista and win 7 32/64 , no problems.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I'm leaning towards this keyboard at the moment but i'm not sure i'd have much use for the LCD screen and it might piss me off more than anything else.[/url]

I've got a G15 and I wasn't totally happy with it. The keys are slightly smaller than normal keys, and my fingers always crept toward the G keys on the lefthand side when I was playing PC games that required the use of the number keys and tilde.

I always seem to gravitate back to my Saitek Eclipse keyboard. It's sturdy, spill resistant, backlit, responsive, and comfortable. It also takes up a little less space than the average keyboard, but aside from volume buttons, there's no additional whizbangery built in for extra keys and such. My favorite feature by far is the fact that it can be taken apart completely so that you can clean behind the keys to get rid of dog hair, sticky spills, and whatever else. The keys all snap out easily and it's pretty simple to put back together. :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Called in PC World tonight looking for a mouse as my wheel atm keep getting me killed :E /scroll to gun, get a drill, die. Etc..
WTF happened to good sized decent mice? I like a bit of weight on mine, but the Razers and Logi ones there were all piddly little things seemingly designed for midgets, with no more than 3 buttons or felt like a plasticy Kinderegg toy. I'd kill for a nice solid MX like my old 700.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2286/2

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

pure awesome, in both form and function. Solid construction (the best!) and the keys are top notch!...also being bluetooth it has amazing range! it's a full size keyboard with the fat trimmed off.

ps
I've used it on xp vista and win 7 32/64 , no problems.

No numpad? :dork:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the G5/G7 are now discontinued.

Memphis wrote:
I'd kill for a nice solid MX like my old 700.

Memph, I recently got a G700 and it's fairly hefty and solid:
http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-poin ... vices/7244

Or the G500 if you want to go wired:
http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-poin ... vices/5750

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The G500 is the same shape as the MX518, that's why I got it. £30 on amazon :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm lazy.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

lolcat really? the lack of a numpad makes this retard worthy to you?

I never used the numpad on my keyboards is that retarded too?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Transient wrote:

My impression is that that keyboard is a default keyboard for Macs, no? If it's that prevalent, a numpad should be standard on it; they're used too often, particularly in a workplace environment. Now I know Macs aren't used in accounting and whatnot as often as PCs, but still. I use my numpad multiple times each day, both at work and at home.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 07:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the best, no-nonsense keyboard. combined with a razer deathadder, egos are shattered every time.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
My impression is that that keyboard is a default keyboard for Macs, no? If it's that prevalent, a numpad should be standard on it; they're used too often, particularly in a workplace environment. Now I know Macs aren't used in accounting and whatnot as often as PCs, but still. I use my numpad multiple times each day, both at work and at home.

It's not a default keyboard, even if it was this of all things missing from various apple products is least retarded.
Not that it excuses your appalling behavior, but maybe the reason why I never used the pad is because I'm left handed.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 01:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm a lefty, too, but I trained myself to be a righty when it comes to computers a loooong time ago. It's become second nature to let go of the mouse and hover over the numpad with my right hand now, almost like I do with the WASD keys instead of using home-row when I type. :D

Tsakali wrote:
your appalling behavior

:tard:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 04:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
cherry

that's what i just wrecked :(. I've not tried a 'gaming' keyboard for extended periods before so this is a step into the unknown and hopefully it'll be something that i never realised i could do without. Plus it lights up :cool:

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 06:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have Ryoki's keyboard, it's one of the best, and bright in the dark.

Just don't by the Razer Lycosa, it's crap and the blue backlight is crap.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 09:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love my lycosa. I got it for 20 bucks and it has a solid feel to it.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 01-01-2011 04:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
brisk wrote:
cherry

that's what i just wrecked :(. I've not tried a 'gaming' keyboard for extended periods before so this is a step into the unknown and hopefully it'll be something that i never realised i could do without. Plus it lights up :cool:

No such thing as a "gaming" keyboard imo. I've tried them and they're usually just like any other keyboard, just with a backlight and/or macro buttons which you'll never actually use. The whole razer "it responds faster" thing is total bullshit and makes me lol every time.

Nope, i'll stick with the Cherry, which works perfect without any gimmicks.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-01-2011 08:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

try this

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-18-2011 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this mouse is fucking garbage, i'm returning it and getting another mx510. The middlemouse button is very unresponsive, even when browsing. It's also got this stupid sidescrolling where you can scroll left and right as well as up and down but it doesn't work very well and it keeps logging false clicks and actions. Don't buy one.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 01-18-2011 06:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only thing that a "gaming" keyboard might have going for it is that it won't fuck up with odd combinations of keypresses. Historically, cheap keyboards had issues with pressing lots of buttons at once. But honestly, most gaming keyboards are just normal keyboards with a bunch of crap added to them.

Also, I tend to get my keyboard advice from here, but I kinda prefer mechanical keyboards.

I had an Ione Scorpion M10 mechanical keyboard for about two years, and it worked flawlessly. It only died at the hands of a curious 9 year old.

BTW, the Razer Mechanical one is just a rebranded Ione Scorplus 10BL.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-18-2011 06:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm pretty pleased with the keyboard, the USB slots on the back of it are useful and the LCD is good in a gimmicky kind of way, it's nice to be able to check your stats and have stopwatches and the time a button away. Not to mention the disabling of windows keys is useful. It's taking a while to get used to the G buttons (like trans said) - I kept pressing them instead of shift and control but i'm nearly used to them now.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-19-2011 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Tsakali wrote:

Agreed. Numpad is the win for entering numbers. I rarely use the number keys other than for the !@#$%^&*() characters.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-22-2011 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My MX518 came today to replace the piece of shit G500, I don't know why logitech have tried to improve on it (well i do - monetary reasons) because it's perfect. I might buy another one in case they stop selling them.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-22-2011 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

still on MX510 here since day one, no probs

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My ancient MX518 is all scuffed and scraped, but still the best mouse I've ever used.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
try this

lol...that's actually pretty cool.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.