Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Battlefield 3

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Battlefield 3

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-23-2011 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My eyes just melted a bit :(

New in-game footage trailer thingie: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/23/battl ... also-legs/

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 02-23-2011 08:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks extremely impressive graphicaly . I can't wait when interaction of game worlds feel as in-depth and alive as their graphics.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-23-2011 11:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most of what's in there seems to be from the singleplayer campaign, which will have coop rumor has it... should be interesting (but still i fail to see why they not just go pure multi instantly).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-24-2011 12:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Most of what's in there seems to be from the singleplayer campaign, which will have coop rumor has it... should be interesting (but still i fail to see why they not just go pure multi instantly).

Single player campaign? In a Battlefield that is not Bad Company? :paranoid:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-24-2011 12:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

God knows why but aye :tear:
Didn't even get why there was one in BC2 to be honest, think i played all of two minutes and went back to multi because there was a severe lack of explosions and screaming going on. Singleplayer just does not belong in the battlefield series imo.

Even when you figure bad company is essentially a console game, it makes no sense really... why make an on rails shooter when you've got the best war carnage multi there is? Why divert precious attention and man hours on developing a secondary element in a game when the primary is absolute win, but at release riddled with bugs? Does not compute :\

But at least DICE have announced they'll be scaling back some of their other activities (like battlefail heroes) to give BF3 the attention it deserves, that statement makes me warm and fuzzy inside it does.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-24-2011 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
God knows why but aye :tear:
Didn't even get why there was one in BC2 to be honest

I thought the Bad Company spinoff was meant to be a single player driven game to supplement the regular multiplayer games. But considering BC2's multiplayer was apparently better than its single player, I'm not sure what went wrong there.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-24-2011 12:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh? I've always been under the impression it was a consolized version of the battlefield series, smaller maps, less players, more condensed action so to speak. And you can't make a wargame on a console without a singleplayer campaign of course... not played the first as i think it was a playstation exclusive - but i'm pretty sure that 1 not only had multi, but that's where it was at.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-24-2011 12:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think that's right.
The first Bad Company was both a PS3 and XBox 360 exclusive, but it featured multiplayer for up to 24 players, which I think is not a small number? (edit: I see the PC games have a limit of 64 players, but I don't think any of the maps support such numbers).
I think that Battlefield: Modern Combat was ment as a console version of Battlefield (it was a a PS2/XBox game)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-24-2011 09:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks nice :D

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-02-2011 03:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-02-2011 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's amazing what they can do with lighting these days.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 03-02-2011 04:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:

So awesome. I can't wait for this game, it better not suck.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-02-2011 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:

nice. but the lighting's so near and yet so far. looks a bit bluer than you see on TV

probably need a beast machine to run this pretty

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-02-2011 05:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh my... looking excellent :D

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-02-2011 05:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
bitWISE wrote:

nice. but the lighting's so near and yet so far. looks a bit bluer than you see on TV

probably need a beast machine to run this pretty

not sure what you mean with the blue comment... seems a trivial change/preference

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 04:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

About time developers actually made a game for 2011 hardware rather than 2005 console crap. Looks amazing.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 05:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome.

Say ello to my l'il frien'
Say ello to my l'il frien'
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 05:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my dick is now hard

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool stuffs

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 08:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not too cool with the jump cuts they use to hide obvious "meh" things, like where he picked up the RL. I mean, yeah, it doesn't look nice in any game, and its actually quite hard to get done right, but just show us anyway.

However...

Fuck me if it doesn't look amazing. COD will have to bring more than an A game this year, and I honestly don't expect it to even come close.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks alright, NPC movement looks pretty good. Though it looks terribly scripted and lighting almost like your player has his eyes completely dilated.

I haven't played anything in the Battlefield series, so what distinguishes it from CoD or MoH? I'm guessing this is supposed to be a full single player campaign?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BF multiplayer is a completely different (and much more fun) affair. I wouldn't know for single player, as I've never played a SP Battlefield game.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 08:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah BF MP was always like COD on crack in huge open spaces really, totally different feel. I always found it much more "mature" as well, no silly little kids yelling at me because I PICKED THE WRONG GUN.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's nothing like CoD or MoH. It'll have 64 player support, maps about 20x the size of CoD4 (the last one I played). Huge scale building destruction (no having to go into a building and killing the guys camping it, just blow up the wall they're hiding behind). Multiple vehicle classes, from ATVs and Humvee to tanks to Apaches and fighter planes.

Basically, the difference between Battlefield and CoD is that Battlefield is good. ;)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's a pretty good video of the most recent one, though it is the console-centered franchise (BF3 is the real successor to BF2, not BFBC2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9tZZSyI1YM

Decent attack video demonstrating the destruction at about 1:15. It is captured from the console version, the PC version is a bit nicer looking and BF3 looks to be much improved.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 09:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will this run on Mac OSX?

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
...and lighting almost like your player has his eyes completely dilated.

From what's been shown, I actually think the lighting is pretty sweet.
That and the motion blur give it a nice cinematic quality.
Within the context of the game situation (roof top, high noon) I don't think the lighting is exaggerated.
And you will probably be able to customize shit to look more flat anyway.

But why this emphasis on SP? I thought BF was all about the MP, anyway?
I'd like some more info on that. Fuck sweet SP graphics, what's the dealio with MP? New game mechanics? Innovative shizzle? Prolly not.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the emphasis on single player is to give it a more broad appeal to people new to the franchise. People who've been playing it for years are excited regardless. If I'd never played it before, looking at a 64 player battle might be a bit overwhelming, and not really offer an accurate description of how the gameplay is. Supposedly the next one or two trailers will continue the single player insight, and then hopefully we'll get some info on MP.

Honestly, they don't have to do a lot of improvements over BC2 to sell me on it.

* My biggest gripe with that game is the netcode. There's no ducking behind cover, because every bullet fired by the enemy for the next 2 seconds still registers as if you're out in the open. Half the time when you come around a corner you kill each other because you each get off half a clip before the client registers your death. Doubling the player count will probably make this even worse, unless they do some serious redesign here, which I'm desperately hoping for. Oh, and how jumping out of any vehicle moving faster than 10mph usually gets you killed because somewhere it's registering your position in front of it when you hop out. :olo:

* Maps that fit the player count. BC2 maps were all designed for the console cap of 24 players. Adding another 12 made the majority of them a giant clusterfuck at several points.

* More complex structures. There's really only 3 different kinds of buildings in BC2, and they all collapse early in the matches. If a match lasts longer than 10 minutes, everything is laying in ruins, and there's no cover to be found.

* The fucking uncontrollable yelling of everyone's characters. At first it seemed revolutionary, but when you're trying to get around behind some enemies and your own guy suddenly yells out "MAN DOWN!" it kind of ruins it.

Oh yeah, wtb a battle recorder!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 05:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, EA may get a bit of my money this go around.

it'll be hard to ignore this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... frrAp1blaM

zewulf
zewulf
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's the full 12-minute Fault Line trailer :up:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

beat me to it

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 08:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You gotta admit though, that does look amazing...

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
i still find it quite odd that a predominantly multi-player game is being pimped so much with footage of highly scripted single-player. so they want the CoD crowd on-board, that's obvious, but the actual BF fanbase is just left thinking show us some fucking conquest already. least i am anyhoo.

I've never played bf2, but do you have any particular shit in mind that bf3 multiplayer can improve upon?
I've 10 years ago accepted the fact that, with sequals, improvement is mainly about the aesthetics :(

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looks cool. :up:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
i still find it quite odd that a predominantly multi-player game is being pimped so much with footage of highly scripted single-player. so they want the CoD crowd on-board, that's obvious, but the actual BF fanbase is just left thinking show us some fucking conquest already. least i am anyhoo.

BF crowd is pretty much a cert for sales anyway. Getting the kids away from COD is another thing entirely and that is obviously where they're aiming for this release.

I love the fact its built for the PC from the ground up and then ported to consoles. Exactly how it should be done. The CODlites will be dazzled by the visuals (even though theres no chance in hell it'll look that good on consoles, lul) and the PC crowd will support them because there is finally a dev team putting PC format first. It's win/win as far as i'm concerned.

Except the gameplay of course, which is what we've been seeing every Christmas for the last 5 years or so. But hey, it sure looks pretty, eh?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.