Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Ars Technica gives Dead Island a good initial review

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Ars Technica gives Dead Island a good initial review

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 10:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I mentioned to a friend after the first Dead Island trailer was released that I'd hoped the game was more melee-based and "in-your-face" like the game "Condemned" and instead of mowing down hundreds of zombies with a machine gun like L4D that you'd be forced to cave in their skulls with blunt force trauma. I'm glad the game is actually turning out as I'd hoped it would.

Bring on the shovel swingin and watch the blood, brains and body parts fly. :up:

Quote:
Dead Island takes place on a beautiful tropical island, and you are tasked with taking control of one of four characters to do your best to survive an outbreak of zombies. The game features a wide-open world to explore, but while it may be constantly compared to other games like Dead Rising, it successfully manages to feel like its own game. I've had the chance to play the single-player game, as well as take the four-player co-op play for a test drive, and I've enjoyed both.

While the game is still struggling to come out from under the shadow of its first trailer, we need to look at what the game delivers, not what we had speculated based on that short film. The truth of Dead Island is that the game is fun, and it manages to juggle the horror of the situation with a light-hearted sense of play. It sounds weird, but it works.

Click me for full article

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 10:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the gameplay clips i saw made the gzme look very clunky and mundane, tbh.
nothing fitting the awesome memento-trailer

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hopefully I can overcome my strong dislike of zombie faggotry, to see if the game is worth it.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hopefully you fagg0ts can get over judging the game before you play it, just like those idiots in the Rage thread.

Fast-edited clips of heads being chopped off are one thing, hearing a description of the actual gameplay is something else.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 06-22-2011 11:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

faggots

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Hopefully you fagg0ts can get over judging the game before you play it, just like those idiots in the Rage thread.

Fast-edited clips of heads being chopped off are one thing, hearing a description of the actual gameplay is something else.

gameplay footage, not a trailer made of gameplay shots.
the footage does not seem to quite match the description is what im saying.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 12:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oooooh. Gameplay footage.

Linkage bitch.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 12:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 12:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cant find the one where they show the quest system.. something with a lighthouse. you basically get quests literally handed over, crumpled pieces of paper with the objectives written on it.

like I said, it looks very clunky to me.
still, I will probably get it for the co-op

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 01:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought the gameplay footage looked pretty dull. I'm sure it'll be fun initially, but melee based L4D style gameplay gets old very, very fast, even in co-op. I also thought the stupid ass scoring bubbles flying over heads when you kill them was ridiculous and totally out of place after that super-serious pre-rendered trailer, but apparently they have removed this now.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 04:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what the fuck was rayden's lightning sword all about?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
I also thought the stupid ass scoring bubbles flying over heads when you kill them was ridiculous and totally out of place after that super-serious pre-rendered trailer, but apparently they have removed this now.

During production of Far Cry we had completely gay lookin indicators for dropped weapons, ammo and health and we were bashed by some people at E3 for it (they were private presentations so I doubt anyone here heard of them). We changed them before release so I'm hoping you're correct and they remove the bubbles as well as they truly remove you from the immersiveness (and seriousness) of the gameplay.

The voice acting in the vid linked by MKJ was atrocious, I hope they improved them as well but I'm confident they probably did/will since 9 times out of 10 any pre-release voice acting are placeholders performed by staff members. I'd know as I've done it countless times. The animations of the enemies and the transition to rag doll was also a bit clumsy, but that's a nit pick.

I do, however, love the fact that you can hit enemies with different parts of your weapons (using the butt of the baseball bat to smack a zombie straight down, bringing your weight down on it) seemed really cool. Vehicle damage also seemed pretty cool as they pretty much showed that even inside a vehicle you can be gotten to eventually. I'd imagine a shit-ton of zombies rocking your stopped vehicle and smashing windows to get to you would get intense pretty quickly.

The islands and open worlds look on par with Crysis and are indeed a step up from L4D so no reason to worry about visuals.

As I mentioned, I like the fact that the zombies get up close and personal and that each encounter is it's own battle, which allows you to have a good look at the zombies themselves and see the damage you do to their heads. There's no way in hell you can notice that detail in L4D when you're being mobbed by a fast moving horde. Who knows, maybe there will be moments when you're mobbed, but only as a pacing device? I think they'd be smart to have some sort of "Director" AI that paces the game for you like L4D, but that could be asking too much or be unreasonable as this game is decidedly NOT L4D.

At any rate, I can't wait to play it. :up:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 04:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MrPink wrote:
what the fuck was rayden's lightning sword all about?

It's a weapon mod and IIRC it's not the first zombie game to have them.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh look, there's a boomer

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...and a charger

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-23-2011 11:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In this thread, i agree with GKY. Also, with Phantsypantsy.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.