Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Quake Reboot in works ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Quake Reboot in works ?

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 03:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought they said a few years ago they were actually making a new quake and that it was using Q3A as the roots/inspiration and that it would be MP focused again?

Q1 MP is decent I spose, but a Q3A style MP shooter with the new engine would be perfect. In fact fuck it, just remake Q3A with tech 5 already.

Oh and make it scalable so we can make it look like shit with green skins :olo:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 06:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Making Q3A in this day and age would fail on all fronts...

Just what the shit would they do? Add modern stuff like ranks, Xp, unlockables and stuff to keep it up to date... FAIL in the eyes of all the oldschool guys, and the classic gameplay wouldnt work with it anyway...

OR...

They make it like the classic, arcade movement, everything, but then FAIL... Because its too oldschool...

Its a tricky one to get into really... Maybe if they made it as an extra on a new Quake 1 style SP game, it wouldn't be such an impossible task... Otherwise they would be tasked with making a game better than one of the best MP games even made, in an age where the best MP game is COD...

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, they're making RAGE with the same id mechanics they've always used, just with a fancy new engine. I'm sure it'll sell well, simply because it looks very pretty and kids like to shoot stuff.

But yeah, you're probably right. Q3A is far too purist and hardcore to appeal to COD-lites now. Any more than 2 weapons and their little heads explode.

I don't think it'll ever be beaten as a hardcore competitive FPS.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i guess we'll see

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 06:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you challenging brisk?!?

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 06:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol i am responding to the thread title

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
Well, they're making RAGE with the same id mechanics they've always used, just with a fancy new engine. I'm sure it'll sell well, simply because it looks very pretty and kids like to shoot stuff.

But yeah, you're probably right. Q3A is far too purist and hardcore to appeal to COD-lites now. Any more than 2 weapons and their little heads explode.

I don't think it'll ever be beaten as a hardcore competitive FPS.

^this

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 06:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
lol i am responding to the thread title

Oh, ok then. Carry on...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

for the record, I'm positive I'm currently the best Quake 3 / QL player on these forums.
you losers are rhetorically fat and out of shape.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want to see a Dangerous Dave revival.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ITT: id fanboys recognise the futility of remaking the same fps over and over again

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
what a douche bag nerd u r...

He's the world record holder for biggest douche bag in the universe :olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake reboot freakaloin vs duhard...duhard dies in real life after his destruction in game...

highly likely...

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dream on junior...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whats that fatty?...

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol...the only ppl that have ever said I'm fat are the morons here at q3w...hmmmmmm

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cuz we are the only ones who are actually honest with u...

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 11:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah...I'm a fat 6' tall 195 pounds grease ball :olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why is ur neck so swollen fat boy?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was thinking of the following analogy:

1) Kid plays a game of Checkers
2) Milton Bradley sees this and says "We're gonna make a sequel to that game!!!"
3) Kid imagines things like "new moves" , "new board layout", "more roles like Chess (lite)" "spinner"
4) Milton Bradley tries to think of a "story" for the Checker
5) Milton Bradley decides that since Checkers is a kinda metaphor for two armies that the Checker must be a soldier
6) They go on to develop an elaborate war saga in which Checker is low level grunt
7) The resultant game is a mix of the game "Life", "Clue" and "Stratego" and a little DnD
8) Kid goes "WTF!!! Milton effin' Bradley!!!"

So adding story to an abstract game type like Pac Man certainly is a poor idea.

Now, Quake is a bit more plausibly about "something" other than the activity of blasting stuff but not much more. Laden that property with too much story and you see my example in action. A science fiction setting necessarily requires some tangible explanation for any player predicament but a "fantasy demon infested realm" does not need any convoluted "realistic" back-story. There is no expectation about how plausible something is when the backdrop is a pure fantasy archetype. It works, and you can rock-out to heavy techno or metal and be totally in the spirit of it. It's the right thing to do.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 08:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My apologies, I don't have relevant topic matter to contribute to the cross-topic Retro-Quake slash old Q3W feuds ruckus ITT.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.