Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        More Rage

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: More Rage

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 03:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
That's what irks me more than anything now i think (besides shitty FoV ofc). I'm finally giving Singularity a spin and rather enjoying it to be fair, despite some painfully low quality textures. What really jumped out at me though as immersion breaking was that almost everything is bolted to the ground, only glass that's meant to be have a monster crash through is breakable and a tiny pile of boxes 2 foot high is immovable and impassible. It's just all so workmanlike and i can see Rage (the shooty bits at least) being practically the same game tbh. It seems the only devs now in existence that know how to create a genuinely believable environment with appropriate physics properties are Valve. HL2 was what, 7 or 8 years ago now? I could eject an entire room's furniture from a building via a window of my choice, knock cars off cliffs into the sea and lob various litter, bottles and even cans dispensed from a working drinks machine at a copper's face back then. Why can't i get past a fucking chair now?

yeah i was trying to make that point without mentioning HL2. there were parts of that game where, after a firefight, the place would be a total mess, with smash crates/windows everywhere and barrels and other junk scattered around - and not just in ravenholm either. even the pre-gravity gun sections were like this. it was fucking awesome. plus being able to build barricades of filing cabinets and tables and shit for some of the defensive firefights (like the infamous nova prospekt 3-turret bit where so many people died the first time they played it)

valve > id

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arent you all a fickly bunch. I played the first two hours of Rage and I think its brilliant. Looks very pretty too. Odd blurry texture, sure, but nothing as deal breaking as these spazz-outs here are getting their panties in a knot over.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
I can't help but shake the feeling that the twenty seven thousand six hundred and fourty two locked doors I've found so far will be used for DLC some how... Call it an insane crazy hunch...

I can't help but feel cheated. Gameplay aside, the environment pretends to be big and encourages you to explore only to bump your freaking head against countless invisible walls. This combined with the comment above actually gives you a standard corridor shooter with a sunroof.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 05:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really feel blessed that I'm able to play through a game and enjoy it for what it is, instead of nit picking every little thing. The game is a lot of fun for me. I can't imagine ruining my experience just because of a few things aren't what I wanted. The game is done. It's released. There's no changing it. So I just play what's there and really enjoy it...

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 06:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Same. Played the first part and really liked it. Yes, it's a shame AMD's and NVidia's drivers were buggy, and yes, it's a shame you have to manually set texture resolution in the cfg, but after that's done (in all of 5 minutes... decrypting the game files on Steam took a LOT longer than that) the game's a marvel. I actually very much like the amount of creativity that went into the art design.
Also, setting the difficulty to hard helps: it's so much more fun if the bad guys are really trying :-)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

really? so you don't think the fps genre has become stale, and that games like Rage just exemplify that staleness?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 06:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r3t wrote:
Also, setting the difficulty to hard helps: it's so much more fun if the bad guys are really trying :-)

Yep. I always start a game on Hard. Leaving one more playthrough for Hardcore...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want to enjoy it too, I really do! I don't like nit picking every little thing but after a lot of messing around trying to get it to run properly, I still get very blurry textures here and there and from what I've played, I wanted to explore more only to walk against invisible walls. I'm not saying the game is per definition bad but the first impression however, is fucked.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
really? so you don't think the fps genre has become stale, and that games like Rage just exemplify that staleness?

I agree this game has some things I would have liked to see differently. Such as less area restrictions and more moveable objects. But it's not stale in my opinion. There are other aspects of it that move fpshooters forward, such as level design and creating a hybrid FPS/RPG/Racing game. Developers aren't able to give you every little thing you want. Not yet. But I don't think it's a step backwards.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bunch if whiny nitpicking nerds....

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you're playing on a console, where you're 15 feet away from the screen, then you're not going to worry about shitty textures, mainly cos you can't really see macro detail anyway. Shit, even my ex-gf looks reasonably hot from a distance.

same with 60 degree fovs, input accel etc.. These are pc-specific issues, which don't affect you, but certainly are a serious concern for pc gamers, especially when we spend thousands on hardware to get a better experience.

the fact the game is also incredibly linear and restrictive doesn't help either.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u brisk...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 08:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I really feel blessed that I'm able to play through a game and enjoy it for what it is, instead of nit picking every little thing. The game is a lot of fun for me. I can't imagine ruining my experience just because of a few things aren't what I wanted. The game is done. It's released. There's no changing it. So I just play what's there and really enjoy it...

Fuck me, xer0s hitting the nail on the head for once.

Glad you're enjoying this game man, so am I.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 08:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
if you're playing on a console, where you're 15 feet away from the screen, then you're not going to worry about shitty textures, mainly cos you can't really see macro detail anyway. Shit, even my ex-gf looks reasonably hot from a distance.

same with 60 degree fovs, input accel etc.. These are pc-specific issues, which don't affect you, but certainly are a serious concern for pc gamers, especially when we spend thousands on hardware to get a better experience.

the fact the game is also incredibly linear and restrictive doesn't help either.

No, its clear you're just whining. I can see low res rextures on xbox, lower res than what you get on a properly configured pc. And you know what? It's not really that distracting at all.

And I think Rage is far from bland. It offers great variety in shooting, driving, trading, racing, mini games, mutant bash tv, conversation, crafting, using engineering items,etc. It's a good game brisk. You've just bashed it so hard from the start that you don't want to lose face value by admitting that.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And you've been such a rage fanboy since the start, that you don't want to lose face value by admitting it's shit.

Face value on Q3W matters.

See what I did there? We can do this forever. You enjoy it. I didn't. The world goes on.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 08:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyways, back to the actual game...Question: Can I trust the $ symbol below an item? In that I mean is it really only good for cash and it won't be a crafting item or used for anything else? I'm afraid to sell shit in fear of needing it later...:D

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol...xer0s just pointed out the meta-game: hoarding.

I'm sure a TLC reality show is already in the works.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's been made (twice): antiques roadshow, cash in the attic

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 09:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
And you've been such a rage fanboy since the start, that you don't want to lose face value by admitting it's shit.

Face value on Q3W matters.

See what I did there? We can do this forever. You enjoy it. I didn't. The world goes on.

Sure. But the getting all worked up and angry over a videogame was you, not me.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've just purchased and queued up my Rage download on Steam. :up:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 09:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been really looking forward to it, had it delivered yesterday, applied some of the tweaks, and fuck; it looks like hammered shit with unreadable text on environmental textures, awful blurriness on everything up close, and even modifying FOV in the config for some reason still leaves me feeling claustrophobic.
I mean for fuck's sake, the textures in Q3 look better.
REALLY not impressed, and even less impressed with the lack of official response from id. All I've seen are them blaming graphics card manufacturers for the poor quality of drivers, but honestly, I'm not sure that what I'm seeing can be fixed with just a driver update.
Then again, this IS a Bethesda release, and I can't name a single one of their games in the past 6 years that has been released without major problems.

This game needs patching yesterday. And no, community fixes are NOT acceptable.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 10:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not an error, they lower ressed the textures because the textures were 150 GB's and they were compressed to 20 GB's. Yeah, textures in Quake 3, Doom 3 and Quake 4 all looked better.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Please stop getting worked up and angry over a video game you just paid money for Mat :)

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 10:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know what is a fucking error though? Low res LoD textures still being used when you zoom in with a scope. Did Carmack all of a sudden lose 20 years of programming ability? And how the fuck did this shit get past QA? What's that you say? id are part of Bethesda now?

Suddenly everything becomes clear.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't understand why people are shitting on Bethesda. They are simply the distributor and marketer for this game.

Normally a publisher would have a huge swinging dick in how it controls a 3rd party developer, but we're talking about id fucking software. There isn't a publisher on this planet that could dictate anything to them, including overall quality. You people make it sound like Bethesda forced a bunch of their own devs and programmers down id's throat to work on the game.

I'm still waiting for my download, but if this game sucks I'll blame id Software, not Bethesda.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 11:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
REALLY not impressed, and even less impressed with the lack of official response from id. All I've seen are them blaming graphics card manufacturers for the poor quality of drivers, but honestly, I'm not sure that what I'm seeing can be fixed with just a driver update.

Then why have both nVidia and AMD released new, Rage specific drivers?

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 11:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

versus

And you think they were lazy because you can't kick rocks around? You're comparing chucking a couple randomly placed cardboard boxes around a square room to rummaging through the hand painted debris field of a city. I agree that it would have been amazing to have more interaction but I think the technology of the new engine prevents that. The point of the engine is to bake nearly unlimited detail into the world map. Baking it in would necessitate making it static.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 11:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I don't understand why people are shitting on Bethesda. They are simply the distributor and marketer for this game.

Normally a publisher would have a huge swinging dick in how it controls a 3rd party developer, but we're talking about id fucking software. There isn't a publisher on this planet that could dictate anything to them, including overall quality. You people make it sound like Bethesda forced a bunch of their own devs and programmers down id's throat to work on the game.

I'm still waiting for my download, but if this game sucks I'll blame id Software, not Bethesda.

In addition to what he said, is it really a surprise that this is another hacked up console influenced game? Kinda sad that even legendary PC developers like id are giving in, but they don't have much of a choice when developing a completely new graphics engine along with the game itself.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Carmack pissed about RAGE issues

Quote:
“We knew that all older AMD drivers, and some Nvidia drivers would have problems with the game, but we were running well in-house on all of our test systems. When launch day came around and the wrong driver got released, half of our PC customers got a product that basically didn’t work. The fact that the working driver has incompatibilities with other titles doesn’t help either.”

He also explains why id isn't PC-centric...it's basically about audience/cash-pile size.

Quote:
Ultimately, though, Carmack doesn’t believe the incident justifies a return to PC-first game development. He’s nothing if not a realist, and he believes times have changed.

“We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games,” he explained. “That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it.”

“Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases.”

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 11:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud wrote:
Kinda sad that even legendary PC developers like id are giving in

newsflash. gamedevelopers don't make games for you out of the kindness of their hearts. gamedevelopers are businesses. while the greats started out of love of the medium, that love and passion won't pay their mortgages.
they're not "giving in", they're making money so that they can not only keep on living the lives they live, but also keep doing what they like most; developing games.

if they did it purely out of love, they'd all be making niche games that only three people other than them like and distributing them for free. how long do you think such a corporation would exist?

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
comparison pics

Thing is, you can't actually enter any of those background buildings, nor as they destructive/interactive in any way. They may as well just be clouds.

Besides that, those shots aren't exactly fair comparisons. It's more like:

HL2's textures don't fall apart when you get within a mile of them either.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's an idea: build games for PC first, then make a console port with low quality graphics and dumbed down gameplay. Both sides will be happy :up:

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 12:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:

newsflash. gamedevelopers don't make games for you out of the kindness of their hearts. gamedevelopers are businesses. while the greats started out of love of the medium, that love and passion won't pay their mortgages.
they're not "giving in", they're making money so that they can not only keep on living the lives they live, but also keep doing what they like most; developing games.

if they did it purely out of love, they'd all be making niche games that only three people other than them like and distributing them for free. how long do you think such a corporation would exist?

I wasn't complaining, I was rationalizing the situation for those that are whining, which is made pretty clear by the end of the sentence that you cut out. I understand its a business, as is nearly every major game dev in existence. :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 12:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:

That pretty much sums it up. You have ten people. 8 play consoles and two play PCs. Who will the developers cater to? It's not only business savvy, but practical in the sense that more people will be satisfied. There will always be PC gamers. But face it, they are a dying breed...wether you like it or not...

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 01:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Except Portal 2 sold more on the PC than the other consoles combined, but yeah PC is dying etc...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.