Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Dead Island

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Dead Island

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 10:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, despite it being fucked up its own arse with bugs, issues, dev problems and all sorts of bollocks I wouldn't expect from a £5 budget game never mind a full retail release... Its pretty damn fun :D Anybody else get it?

If you haven't really heard much on it, I suggest watching this overly racist, funny as fuck video which goes into some of its... Quirks...

http://youtu.be/hxuoEvOczX4

Skip to around the 4:30 mark for the sound of a man suffering from terminal flatulence...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 10:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u...

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:

LOL

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 10:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
fuck u...

Fuck ME?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this guy is hilarious :olo:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played it for a bit, found it to be pretty cool, saved my game and quit. Tried multiplayer with a friend only to find that the game chewed up my save game and I was now stuck back at the beginning of the game but couldn't progress due to a locked elevator hatch which used to be open. Then I found out that multiplayer on Steam was disabled for the time being while they were working on some fixes.

This game seems as if it can be pretty fun, but with all the glaring bugs it really kills all the fun out of it. I'll wait a week or two and see how it is after a few patches. FFS, why not just push the release date back a couple of weeks and not shame yourself in releasing something that will turn off potential customers?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 12:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because its Techland, the king of Tripple A game devel.... Oh wait, no, yeah...

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read that a beta build was mistakenly pushed to Steam instead of the retail gold build, hence all the bugs.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:

That "review" had me laughing so hard, man. I honestly don't know the last time I cracked up like that.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dead island is quite fun for awhile, but all the fetch quests are really getting on my nerves.

Looting containers is like a chore and the interface blows some serious ass. Normally I can ignore these issues but its so bad that it makes the game more boring than fun.

If they just fixed that shit I'd give it an 8/10 easily but as it stands now I give it a five. Also the DLC wont work. It says wrong version when the game starts up. Then again that's probably fixed by now.

EDIT: WHY IS THAT THING SO BIG!?! black guyyyyy...

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

worst console port ever and even more bugs than fallout new vegas. Shame cos underneath the technical holocaust is a genuinely fun game.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's it like on the 360?

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Boring

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 08:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:

this was rather good.

obsidian wrote:
This game seems as if it can be pretty fun, but with all the glaring bugs it really kills all the fun out of it. I'll wait a week or two and see how it is after a few patches. FFS, why not just push the release date back a couple of weeks and not shame yourself in releasing something that will turn off potential customers?

And also, this. Do they really think a deadline means much to a customer? Never understood it either.
Guess i'll wait for numerous patches and a steam sale.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're playing this on the PC, then make sure you read this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2106453

I had to edit FOV, remove blur, get rid of micro stutter by turning on filter keys in windows, adjust the mouse sens so that it's unified for in game/menu + add a custom FSAA profile in nvidia inspector (for 8x FSAA)

Thank fuck there has been some dedicated gamers fixing this mess, cos the developers sure didn't! Anyway, after doing all these, the game is pretty much amazing. The city in particular is just absolutely massive and looks incredible.. it's a beautiful game and the atmosphere/tension as you're dodging the zombie swarms is probably the best i've played in a zombie game.

So yes, stick with it and mod the shit out of it. Hiding underneath all the crap is one of the best games of the year.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

after reaching the city, I think I will raise my rating to an 8/10

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am not enjoying the combat. I hate first person melee. I also hate the fact that when you die you just spawn to a nearby location. What the fuck is that all about?

I will give it another go, but I think this might be going back for Space Marine.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 07:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
worst console port ever and even more bugs than fallout new vegas. Shame cos underneath the technical holocaust is a genuinely fun game.

I still don't understand this shit. I never had any problems with New Vegas...

/off topic

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK so I am running past hordes of zombies rather than trying to poke them with implements that break every 5 minutes, and am enjoying it more. Still think it may have been better as a 3rd person game.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're playing solo (and you probably are, since co-op is still fucked afaik) then you have no choice but to run past all the freaks by the time you get to the city. Once you're swarmed by them, it's pretty much game over.

Oh and I found a few of those easter egg skulls around the island and now have that secret developer weapon, aka force lightning :olo:

It's pretty rubbish though, since every time you use it, all your stamina is gone :(

All these reviews giving it less than 8/10 are fucking mad. Edge gave it 3/10 which is the final nail in the coffin for that piece of shit rag. Trust me, this game is cock solid :up:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 08:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only serious issues I have right now (apart from the obvious bugs like the mouse sens in menus and shit) are that weapons are WANK. How the fuck can a brand new crow bar last the same time as a wooden broom stick...?

That, and I find the movement to be... Very tank like? Its almost like it syncs the actual movement of the player up to the players animation or something, so that sometimes you can stop on a dime, and other times you slide forward a bit afterwards? Very strange...

But great game, and once its patched up, may even be a classic. Thats if Techland get off their arse and patch it up to "retail" standards.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 09:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just do it yourself odium. All those issues have been fixed for me. I put a link up earlier in this thread, it has instructions on how to sort the menu sens/fov etc..

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 09:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
Edge gave it 3/10 which is the final nail in the coffin for that piece of shit rag.

Edge hasn't mattered in a long time, along with Eurogamer.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 09:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

still tho, GKY, please to give your opinion not fueled by your earlier enthusiam.
I've read some playthroughs before and apparently, this game makes use of some very user-unfriendly mechanics, like a "now leaving game area" message flashing on screen prior to teleporting you back to the predesignated mission path.
thats pretty lame, doubly so in an open-ended sandbox type enviroment.

I grieve, for their PR agency did some of the best marketing in years.
before they went with the "7 hottest zombies of dead island" routine that is.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so this game is like an rpg without the fighting action? running away from the action seems like a serious fail on balancing the game correctly. And from the sounds of it, they don't give you the hardware necessary to stay and fight. Sounds like a serious fail to me.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
still tho, GKY, please to give your opinion not fueled by your earlier enthusiam.

I haven't played it yet as Deus Ex is taking all my gaming time.
The sheer amount of bugs and problems tells me to not get this game until it's been patched 3 or 4 times.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
so this game is like an rpg without the fighting action? running away from the action seems like a serious fail on balancing the game correctly. And from the sounds of it, they don't give you the hardware necessary to stay and fight. Sounds like a serious fail to me.

Not giving you the "hardware necessary to stay and fight" sounds to me like the developers didn't want you to stay and fight and instead run and try to survive.

Have you not considered that this is a "survival horror" game with an emphasis on survival, and not going around guns blazing like a walking tank? IMHO the intensity level drops dramatically when I'm loaded up with weapons and ammo and I know I can kill everything in sight in a few seconds.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but where is the survival aspect? simply running away from health stash to health stash doesn't seem engaging enough. deus ex at least expects you to stay stealthy which takes some strategy and planning. hardly the same as running from point A to point B in plain sight. So where is the gameplay? Am I supposed to be content with exploring the rendered maps and following a half baked story line from cut scene to cut scene?

I haven't played it yet, but I'm failing to see where the "game" part is.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well perhaps you can play it to find out or read the posts of those above who enjoy it?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's weird because I don't own a console, so renting it is out of the question, and paying for the pc version just to satisfy my curiosity is not gonna happen. So I'm gonna have to torrent it, since the aspect of a demo is lost in this generation.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
I've read some playthroughs before and apparently, this game makes use of some very user-unfriendly mechanics, like a "now leaving game area" message flashing on screen prior to teleporting you back to the predesignated mission path.

For what it's worth, i've yet to get that message and i'm on act 2 of 3 (about 15 hours into the game)

Feel's pretty fucking open to me.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Well perhaps you can play it to find out or read the posts of those above who enjoy it?

That's a pretty radical concept you're throwing out there sir :paranoid:

Anyway to answer his question, it's quite easy to fight every single zombie/infected/thug/suicider/ram you come across, but there are a lot of them and eventually you'll make a mistake and get owned. It doesn't really matter if you die, since you always spawn very close to where you died, albeit with 10% of your money gone (which means fuck all, since theres cash literally everywhere and you spend most of it buying/maintaining your weapons).

The issue of running simply occurs because it's often easier and faster than beating 30+ zombies in your path from A to B. It's not a broken gameplay mechanic at all and you're never forced into doing it, but often it's just the most effective tactic. Besides, the infected will chase you half the map anyway and eventually you'll run out of stamina. When that happens, you're gonna have to fight. It's all about assessing the situation and see which tactic works the best. Fight or flight, etc..

Oh and the "game" aspect comes from exploration, finding quests, finding new weapons, collectibles etc.. it's VERY similar to fallout in many respects and is a half RPG/half survival horror.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now. I am enjoying it, but I do not get this comparison with Fallout. This is way more throw-away then that game. The fact that when you die you spawn a few feet away takes away nearly all the tension and takes away any realism factor. It would have been excellent if you could save your game also, rather than the shitty auto save feature.

Weapons break way too easily and I find myself kicking them a lot. Which is quite good fun. It would also be nice to have more stealthy parts to it. The characters are all really shit too and I don't want to speak to any of them.

That being said, it is good fun and it does look rather gorgeous.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You in the city yet Pauly? Specifically, the sewers. That gave me massive Fallout vibes.

The game totally opens up in the city area. It's absolutely massive. In fact, everything before it is pretty pfft in comparison.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah I am very early in the game. Just done the lighthouse.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.