Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Skyrim

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Skyrim

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 01:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Replayability on a game that'll take 50 hours to run through once? I dunno, it's a bit excessive.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 01:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

exactly. tackle the world as a thief once, try your luck as a mage the other. it will be a totally different game set in the same world.
beats replaying a game to get all collectables, imo

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 02:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Replayability on a game that'll take 50 hours to run through once? I dunno, it's a bit excessive.

oh no there is too much game!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 03:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, too little time tbh :(

You know, it's an interesting discussion. People are often complaining that games are too short, but statistics have on more than one occasion shown that most people never finish games they start playing. My personal complaint with extremely long games is that there's too much to play these days. This season, I want to play Rage, Gears of War 3, Batman: Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, wrap up LA Noire and pour some time into From Dust. To be able to do that, with the time I have, I'm going to have to skip Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3 and Skyrim. All games I would love to play but just decided not to (at least, not yet) because I simply don't have the time.

So if I am forced to either play both Rage and Gears of War 3 or make the choice to do Skyrim then I'd choose Rage and Gears because it's more variety and allows to me reminisce and talk about two games rather than one. Personally, I'd rather have 3 short games than one really long game.

In the past when I still was a student this issue wasn't really there because I had both oceans of time I could spend on gaming and there just weren't as many games that I really wanted to play.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 04:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There isn't a strict time frame to finish these games in you know. You can buy Skyrim and still enjoy it, even if it took a year to complete. It;s about the journey afterall, not the ending (which usually sucks in video games anyway)

I've played 10 hours of it now, usually in the early hours after I finish work and it's the kind of game that is better spent taking your time anyway. There is so much to do/explore that even if you do marathon sessions with it, you'd still only scrape the surface... and besides, that's an easy way to exhaust yourself and lose interest in it anyway.

I'd still rather have a long game that took me a year to finish than spend £40 on a 5 hour game that I forget about the moment it's over.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 04:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stick me in the "too little time" cat as well :( Everytime I sit down and try and play, I just keep getting reminded how fucking EPIC this thing is, and I get a little side tracked. Its so big I keep thinking "God, do I REALLY have the time...?" so I just mess around... I spent a good half hour the other night looking at the detail they put into the skeleton models lol, although thats because I'm trying to make one atm... But yeah...

Amazing game is, simply, amazing. But these days I just can't sit and game for 12 hours straight... When did real life have to become so boring :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 04:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
There isn't a strict time frame to finish these games in you know. You can buy Skyrim and still enjoy it, even if it took a year to complete. It;s about the journey afterall, not the ending (which usually sucks in video games anyway)

This is true, but also a good way of having games pile up on me.
You know, what I said earlier about being afraid to miss out on content in a game that's so open as Skyrim also counts cross-game I guess.

If I made the decision to play Skyrim, then I know I'm not going to play any other game any time soon. That by itself is already a problem, because I'd probably get bored with the game after 2 months, but if I'd sit through it then by the time I'm done with Skyrim, there will be other games I want to play as well. I'd play those games because they're "current" and I would end up completely skipping Batman.

So there's really a time management issue coming into play and because of the limited time I have, I'd sooner pick up a game that is relatively short because I know I'll be able to finish it and enjoy another game I want to play as well.

Also, in my own experience I take a lot longer to finish games in absolute playtime. For example, Rage was said to be 8 hours or so. I think I took nearly double that amount of time to play all the way through it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 04:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Stick me in the "too little time" cat as well :(

Yeah right, mr "100%-ed it" :olo:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You need not worry about missing content though decisions you make, simply due to the sheer amount of missions available. It was the same in Oblivion and the Fallout games. For me, there is always a kind of a cut-off switch that occured around the 50 hour mark where I felt I had experienced everything I needed from the game and would just finished the main mission to complete the storyline. In each of these games, i'd estimate that there was at least another 50 hours or so of side missions that I probably missed, but I never felt like I was missing out just because I didn't play them.

It's nice to have choice in your games, where actions have genuine consequences. It let's you play a game your way and you have to deal with the fallout (if you pardon the pun). I have noticed though that by the end of Bethesda's games, you can still usually choose to side with a particular faction, even if you've been an arsehole to them all game, so you never really need to worry about burning all your bridges for the most part.

And lol @ odium :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 06:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I'm playing this now. Pretty fucking neat so far. I find myself completely at a loss to pick a class though, I just want to do everything... not sure about choosing night elf either...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was just curious about going Stormcloaks or Legion. Didn't mean to spark this debate...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL night elves are in everything.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 07:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I was just curious about going Stormcloaks or Legion. Didn't mean to spark this debate...

Don't pat yourself on the back because you didn't spark this debate. The stormcloaks/legion thing was just a convenient hook.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 09:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How did I pat myself on the back?

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 09:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yep

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 09:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They breed with moutaingoats dontcha know?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its the same as in the intro, check out the gravity defying sitting action on the carts lol... still. my goty no doubt. this game is fucking amazing! i like the fact that you basically set the pace of the action. ive grown bored of modern warfare and twitch shooting. just walking around looking at the amazing art, settings and atmosphere is a joy. and all the extra stuff like lots of wild life, npc's doing things out in the wild (hunters/poachers/highwaymen/bandits/prisoners etc etc etc.) soo much content! very hard not to get immersed.

im a mace welding orc healer called thrall waaarg!

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 01:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Stick me in the "too little time" cat as well :( Everytime I sit down and try and play, I just keep getting reminded how fucking EPIC this thing is, and I get a little side tracked. Its so big I keep thinking "God, do I REALLY have the time...?" so I just mess around... I spent a good half hour the other night looking at the detail they put into the skeleton models lol, although thats because I'm trying to make one atm... But yeah...

Amazing game is, simply, amazing. But these days I just can't sit and game for 12 hours straight... When did real life have to become so boring :(

So when you're not complaining about games being too short, you're complaining about them being too long.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium has autism.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All other games should just pack up and go home. You've lost.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 08:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
All other games should just pack up and go home. You've lost.

This :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:
this game has an amount of content that is difficult to wrap my head around. Just as I was running out of time, I figured I'll just rush into one more mission, without sidetracking into the woods only because this one plant got my attention, lol. Anyway, I simply sprinted straight to my destination from a point A to point B that was about 1/3 the width of the map, and I swear , I must have passed up about two games' worth of content right there!

I can't imagine the man hours that went into making this behemoth!

I can only assume, this will escalate to an unmanageable level at some point in the gaming industry. Probably, different aspects of video games will have to become standardized at some point. Some company will develop the AI which would then be customized for character through some impressive variable sliders, and some other dev, would own the physics department hard, and licence that out to other developers, and some other dev, would really go into mastering the graphic integrity of materials and shaders, and so on for all the main aspects that have now become landmarks of a good gaming experience. Then an actual game developer will somehow be able to plug all these things together in order to tell their own story.

Some kind of like a matrix for video game developers will have to formulate in order for them to be ale to reach the next level. For all I know, this is already happening to some extend already.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-16-2011 06:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Before you know it, we'll only have one massive video game with so much content that it'll satisfy every genre and another game will never have to be made again. :up:

And then the world ends.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-16-2011 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hate to admit it. But now even I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed by the amount of gameplay. Even the amount of perks is overwhelming. I think there's something around 280 available perks. There are so many that I want for my character, I spend a lot of time trying to decide which to apply. It's a terrible thing to complain about...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-16-2011 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol fuck! it's like a 30 minute debate every time I get a new perk point. But that's a big reason I love this game. you can go into a fight and feel completely helpless, yet with all the perks, poison, potions, weapons, apparel etc, there is surely always a winning combination within your arsenal.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-16-2011 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm very tempted to get this game, but also very tempted not to :paranoid:

Cowboys in '05
Cowboys in '05
PostPosted: 11-16-2011 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This game is overwhelming. In an amazing way.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-16-2011 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you feel "overwhelmed" while playing a video game then my guess is you've never had sex with a woman.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-16-2011 06:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:(

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-16-2011 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

k I need to address two moron remarks in here.

1) the faded color of the environment. that's only in some areas. Well it's all part of trying to give you a realistic experience. the tundra areas of the map is a good example of this. without a bright light source, of course you will see everything muted out... that's how it works in real life...and I'm glad they took it to heart, to properly light the environment in a way that makes it more believable.

those images in the link you posted, look almost HDR'ed... hardly a realistic light occlusion and scatter ( or whatever they call it)

2) That picture with the horse defying gravity: well yeah it looks silly, even more so with a horse, but in general I'm glad they gave the player super human climbing abilities, simply because it helps with climbing mountainous areas without having the use of your arms. So yeah even though it's not realistic, it was a damn good decision. This is an instance where bending reality serves the gaming experience well. As a matter of fact you'll notice that the game mechanics really try to help you along with crazy climbs or deadly steep declines, and it's done in a very sensible way.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-17-2011 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
but i'll still help you homos with a nice link to help unugly the game
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131
when did colour become so bland in games anyway? BF3 needs some of this.

more here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11 ... -pretties/
console toy players - ha, unlucky

Too saturated for my taste. Make's it look more like a cartoon and loses the grittiness imo.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-17-2011 06:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

This

I am worried about regressing 10 years in life :tard:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-17-2011 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
Memphis wrote:
but i'll still help you homos with a nice link to help unugly the game
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131
when did colour become so bland in games anyway? BF3 needs some of this.

more here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11 ... -pretties/
console toy players - ha, unlucky

Too saturated for my taste. Make's it look more like a cartoon and loses the grittiness imo.

OK scrap what I said, I tried it and there is an option during installation for a less-saturated config. I used this, did a few more tweaks and now the game looks pretty fucking stunning :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-17-2011 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

I think you're full of shit, considering you play Minecraft 24/7 <3

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-17-2011 12:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
seremtan wrote:

This

I am worried about regressing 10 years in life :tard:

It's really not that bad Donny, I rented it and between skyrim and Forza 4 I'm not sure which game I'd prefer. It's good but it's not heroin good.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.