Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Batch - open with notepad + administrator

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Batch - open with notepad + administrator

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to execute a Windows batch file or other script that can open a configuration file in a text editor as an administrator.

I have a bunch of config files that need to be edited on a normal basis that are hidden deep in a bunch of subfolders protected from normal user access. It's really annoying running the text editor as administrator and then manually browsing through a dozon subfolders.

Thanks.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

in a bit of a rush so don't have time to properly check/test any of this, but could you do something in the registry based on the file extension?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/

..or put a shortcut in your shortcut - create a shortcut to the editor of your choice, then edit the shortcut properties to set the compatibility settings to always open as admin - then right-click on the type of file (again, this relies on the extension) and go to open with,.. choose the shortcut you just created rather than the editor itself. from then on i think it should automatically ask if you want to run as admin when you try to open one of those files. that may be bollocks, i just tested it by making a shortcut and then typing "start <shortcut name> <document path>" for notepad++ and it seemed to work fine.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 10:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can't just do this and run it as admin?

Code:
notepad /path.to/a.txt
notepad /path/to/this/b.txt
notepad /omg/wtf/bbq.txt

Also, if you have the option to install notepad++, it remembers the files you leave open so you could just launch it as admin and not close the child windows.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, that works bitWISE. Thanks guys.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

notepad++ is awesome like that. :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.