Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Elder Scrolls Online - MMO

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Elder Scrolls Online - MMO

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 11:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 11:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I'm all burned out on this kinda stuff.... at least for a long while

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 11:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Back to the WW2 FPS?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As long as it's not wow.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
TruthfulLiar wrote:
As long as it's not wow.

Nope. Just exactly like it, but worse.

Your lack of faith is disturbing.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Back to the WW2 FPS?

nope

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 07:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
TruthfulLiar wrote:
As long as it's not wow.

Nope. Just exactly like it, but worse.

The atronachs and draw distance are giving me flashbacks.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-26-2014 06:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So this releases next week. Anyone looking to get into this? I think I'll wait for the XBone version...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-03-2014 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
So this releases next week. Anyone looking to get into this? I think I'll wait for the XBone version...

Its garbage.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-03-2014 01:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, previews have not been good, and consensus is that they're insane going with the subscription model they're launching with.

From a personal point of view, I think it's bizarre how they can take a series that's very much about playing how you want to and becoming ridiculously powerful at every last discipline, then squeeze that into a generic MMO mold. Skillbars, classes, trinity, balance, it's got everything every other bland, commercial MMO of the last ten years has had.

MMOs need some serious shaking up.

I think the most fucked up thing is that they promise "Massively Multiplayer" experiences, yet the things that the fanbase end up doing the most tend to be instanced raids and dungeons with a player limit lower than most PC FPS games.
If you're playing an "MMO" for the dungeon content, you may as well be playing Left 4 Dead. At least that attempts to change things up by randomising variables through the AI Director.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-08-2014 10:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They took a GOOD RPG game. Slapped multiplayer on it. Removed everything that made it unique then tossed a subscription model on it to milk more money out of it.

The games shit.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-08-2014 11:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:(

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

all they needed to do was make skyrim coop... how hard is that?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
all they needed to do was make skyrim coop... how hard is that?

Apparently super hard.

It sucks playing it because everything is bolted down and static. Theres no sense of "free open world" like the other elder scrolls games.

Unfortunate.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 01:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My sample size was extremely small for an MMO (2 hours) but I played in the beta weekend in February, and in my opinion, almost every aspect of the game fell short. I won't go into great detail, but the models were blocky and very outdated (even WoW's remodels coming with Warlords look considerably better), the music was cheaply synthesized and came off as uninspired, the interface was an uglier, slightly more-colored version of Skyrim's, the FoV made it feel like my face was right up against everything I was looking at (they are adding an FoV slider in the next patch or something, though), and frankly, the questline that I was on felt SO uninspired. I have never felt less motivated to give a shit about my character and why I am in the world. I admit, I didn't give it a fair shot -- I have no idea what the endgame is like, they're not done with anything, hardly, and my time in-game was very short. So it might not actually suck, but my first impression was fucking terrible. Like, Hellgate London terrible.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 03:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You guys are breaking my heart... :tear:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have played in about 4 Beta weekends and each one did more than the last to convince me that this game isn't going anywhere new. It was just another uninspired MMO, and the fact that they're still using the outdated monthly subscription model should throw up a red flag for everyone. This is Skyrim with multiplayer. That's it. It's 2014 and MMOs are still stuck in 2004, and I can easily see ESO being used to illustrate this fact. :down:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's so much new tech out there that could be used to breathe new life into the MMO scene that's not being utilized right now. Sure, there are smaller (indie) projects, but they all seem to be using the tech as gimmicks right now. Procedural generation, voxels, second-screen gaming, augmented reality, VR headsets, controller support for living room gaming... These things aren't in their infancy anymore!

I've only seen a few games announced that may be ushering forth innovative game design, namely Destiny, The Division, Watch Dogs, and No Man's Sky. But there's no guarantee any of these games will actually combine these features in an appealing way; I have my doubts about all of them. I'd be glad to add more upcoming games to that list, but I don't see any that are actually on the market right now... OK, maybe Minecraft.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 07:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
...This is Skyrim with multiplayer...

Whoa whoa whoa, now you're confusing me. Cause this is what I want...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 10:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then have at it. Enjoy paying $60 and then another $15/mo. for it.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 04:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Transient wrote:

Except it's not MMO, it's just MP... So you're paying 15$ for absolute shit. I heard reviewers state they've played FPS games with more players in the game than this supposed "MMO" Sounds like crap to me. Plus from what I've been seeing it looks like graphics from 10 years ago.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's a bit much. The worst I can say about the game visually is that it's no better than Skyrim, and that game's a little over 2 years old. And the player density is hard to judge in a semi-closed Beta.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 09:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I'm not really a fan of skyrim either, the engine they used for skyrim is dated and that's the last game of theirs that I'll play using that same engine.

That feeling of floating over the ground got old by the time I was done playing Oblivion. The fact I managed to force myself to play the fallout games and skyrim was impressive but that won't be happening again.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
That feeling of floating over the ground got old by the time I was done playing Oblivion.

Yeah isn't that weird? Bethesda RPGs are all about immersion but I find that simply moving through their game worlds is bizarrely unnatural feeling. It feels like I'm playing Wolfenstein 3D because the camera doesn't give you any feedback on what your body is doing while you move. The fact that they carried this over into ESO is disappointing.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 06:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never even noticed that before. But actually, your vision doesn't move up and down when you walk, does it? Your eyes are made to keep everything smooth, even when walking or going over a bumpy road. So should it not be the same concept in a game? It doesn't bother me when playing Skyrim or the fallout games, like I said, I hadn't even noticed it...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-11-2014 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
But actually, your vision doesn't move up and down when you walk, does it? Your eyes are made to keep everything smooth, even when walking or going over a bumpy road.

Only if your eyeballs are fixed to stalks protruding from your head and your name happens to be Jarjar Binks.

Your head does indeed bob up and down when you walk, your eyes are not made to compensate, but many video games have seriously exaggerated the effect which is why it seems distracting.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-11-2014 12:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure who you're agreeing with...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-11-2014 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

your eyes' focal point stays stationary, that goes a long way in distracting you from the fact that your head is bobbing... try to duplicate that on a finite monitor and a focal point locked on to your visible space's center and you get nothing but aggravation

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-11-2014 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I never even noticed that before. But actually, your vision doesn't move up and down when you walk, does it?

I like how you turn your statements into questions so as to avoid the stress of having to be, you know, knowledgeable?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-11-2014 11:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Transient wrote:

You know all the cool things about elder scroll games. Like looting random baskets and every dead body has the gear they wore on them etc?

Yeah. Nope. None of that. Its "chests that have loot" and nothing else. It feels like a web version of skyrim with the same graphics and "sorta" multiplayer.

I wish I had a beta key for this weekends thing to give you. Its just shit. They fucked up hard. like geoff hard.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-12-2014 02:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had a beta key from the beginning. I played for about 10 minutes and said fuck this. Not because I didn't like the game, but because it's on PC. Can't play a game like this on PC...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-12-2014 03:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not even that your head doesn't bob around. The movement in their games just doesn't feel right. Mirrors edge felt right and a few other games but they're rare. At this stage there's not really any excuse for dev's to create such a shit way to move about in their worlds in games that are supposed to be stellar AAA titles. Shit even Quake 3 had a better feel and that's ages old compared to games like Skyrim.

Ultimately it might just be something that irks me since a lot of people seem to love the series but from what I hear this "MMO" sounds like shit.

I'll be playing titanfall and Dark Souls 2 kthx.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-11-2014 02:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone playing this?

Say ello to my l'il frien'
Say ello to my l'il frien'
PostPosted: 04-11-2014 03:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yep, it's allright

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.