Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Day Z mod for Arma 2

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Day Z mod for Arma 2

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-17-2012 10:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My best life so far i managed to avoid the zombies in the coastal villages near where i spawned and made my way to Cherno, where sporadic gunfire was heard... oh good, i thought, humans. Followed by the thought that it might be best to avoid them since they were not replying to chat. Unfortunately Cherno is bristling with precious loots that i couldn't pass up. I stumbled upon a first aid thing or what have you, a collection of military tents and found some ammo in the first one, in the next tent there were smoke granades and provisions and ammo for automatic weapons, in the tent after that there were two survivors as i turned the corner. There was a moment of complete surprise as we all looked at each other and just as i went to type something along the lines of 'don't shoot' one of them takes aim and gives me a mouthful of shotgun.

Assholes.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-18-2012 05:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So it sounds like this is a game that sociopaths can enjoy. It's also a game that proves that Ayn Rand was 100% wrong.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-18-2012 08:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"aim and gives me a mouthful of shotgun."

Nothing says "I love you" more than buckshot in the left nostril...

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-18-2012 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Omg durkie, is that you?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-18-2012 01:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

greetings and salutations

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-18-2012 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ID please.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-18-2012 03:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Failure is....
spending 30 mins running away from the coast only to find I've run in a big circle back to my start point.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-18-2012 03:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we call that jogging :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-18-2012 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm downloading ARMA II on Steam right now. I look forward to not surviving.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-19-2012 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Durkan wrote:
greetings and salutations

<3

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-20-2012 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-20-2012 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, on joining the game, I wandered around looking for stuff and generally avoiding zombies, followed another newbie around for a bit. Ran into a bandit who shot me a couple of times, so I run away with the motherfucker chasing me. I zip behind a few bushes so he'll lose sight of me briefly, prone behind a rock and wait for him to run past me. Then I stand back up and blasted him in the back. Dude turns around all confused and shit and I finish the punk with my pistol in his face.

Yeah, who's got all the tasty beans now, mofo?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-21-2012 03:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see you over on the Day Z forums obsidian.
I have loads of medical supplies and a spare knife and matches, but I'm waaaaaaaay away from you in all likelihood, up in the NW airfield. I'm also offline at the moment.
Best thing to do is get away from the coast and the big cities as soon as possible, then loot stores for survival goodies. Stores have big parking lots and are large, one-story buildings with massive windows.

I think you got your answer over there anyway, but cooked meat will give 800 blood a piece, while cans of beans/pasta/etc. only give 200. Soda & water give you nothing.

Oh, and my biggest survival tip? Before entering a town, make sure you know the position of at least one building you can enter. That way, if you attract even one zed, you can run into that building. As long as you stay away from the walls, you can kill as many zombies as you have ammo, as zeds can only walk inside.

Also, if you're mostly concerned with surviving and not killing other players, stick with your Makarov and try and find a Winchester. These guns have ammo absolutely everywhere, and the Makarov kills zeds with one headshot while the Winchester with slug ammo kills zeds with one shot anywhere. Both of these guns are also quieter than most others, so you're going to attract a controllable amount of zeds when firing them rather than every single one in the area.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 05-22-2012 10:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Took us a while but Obs and i met up and have done a bit of exploring. We offed a few zombies without them touching us and now we have crossbows. Heading north.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-23-2012 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just a warning: the crossbow is an awful weapon.
Also, the recent patch nerfed the Winchester, so ignore my advice in the previous post.

Myself, I've been zipping between Devil's Castle and the North West Airfield, and now have an M1911 as my sidearm which takes zombies down in one shot and I've just found an M16 with underslung grenade launcher :)
Oh, if you want to light a fire now, make sure you're carrying firewood, which annoyingly takes up 2 inventory slots.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2012 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just found out that my computer probably won't run this. Dammit :(

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-23-2012 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
Took us a while but Obs and i met up and have done a bit of exploring. We offed a few zombies without them touching us and now we have crossbows. Heading north.

That was scary. Puff and I decided to rendezvous by a pond north of the city. We were nearing it around the same time, but we couldn't spot each other yet. What we both did see was a couple of zombies straggling about, so we both independently tried to crawl our way past them towards the pond. Then we both realized that we were surrounded by a LOT of zombies, yet because we were crawling we still couldn't see each other through the grass. We crawling away not knowing where we were relative to one another until we could stand up again some distance away from the pond and finally realized that we were probably 10 feet from each other the whole time.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-23-2012 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you join a server where it's allowed (usually one that allows crosshair too), you can enable third-person camera with numpad enter.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like Obs and I are heading up your way. Any advice on the airfield? Also, we'll probably be skirting Stary Sobor to refill canteens. Know anything about that area?

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looks somewhat interesting except for the fact that the look of it is horrible. You shoot zombies who spaz out and blink around, then 1-4 seconds then suddenly fall down. The combat looks worse than STALKER, which is why I stopped playing it. In fact, STALKER would be a better starting point than ARMA 2 to make what the game is trying to be.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 10:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NW Airfield is crawling with both zombies and bandits, although you are much less likely to encounter bandits there at night.
To help with navigating in the dark, in your video options turn brightness and gamma up to full and in the Advanced options, turn HDR up to the highest setting.
You should find some decent weapons there. I currently have an M4A3 CCO that I picked up from there (red dot assault scope and attached flashlight), and I've seen Remingtons, M1014s, M16s, AKMs and AK74s too.
The loot drops at airfields count as military ones, so there's even a small chance of finding night vision goggles or a rangefinder.
Not that I have yet :(

I've avoided Stary Sobor so far, although again I hear it's bandit heaven. I do mean to check it out just to see why they're attracted to it.

Oh yeah, some servers will show your position if you find a map and compass. That's really handy.

And feedback, you're one of the last people I would have expected to see complain about how a game looks!
If you get a chance, give it a go. It's compelling, and the combat model really suits it, especially as it features realistic drop off meaning you really have to know how to read a scope properly. Hell, military grade sniper rifles even feature proper zeroing.
Also, alpha!

PostPosted: 05-25-2012 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know I mean I don't mind if the graphics don't new but the awkward animations and unreliable combat (not related to skill, just glitchy) turn me off. Also I'm addicted to DOTA 2 and I don't think I can support another time-vampire.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Game sounds like it needs a lot of time investment.
Not something you just jump in and out of when you have half an hour to kill.
And then there's the, apparently iffy, servers. Get discuntnected, just when you got something good going? Fucking hell. (I got it right that you then start from scratch again, right?)

Those are the things that put me off and hold me back from trying;
The need to play long sessions to fully appreciate the game.
The frustration of getting fucked over by instability. (I realise it's only in its alpha stage.)

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 10:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, there's persistence across all servers, so you can disconnect from one, reconnect on any other server in the world, and you'll appear back where you left the game with all your gear.
You only start from scratch if you die.
I'd also argue that it's great for dipping in and out of because of this persistence; you can log in and quickly raid a shop then log out again.
If you previously logged out in an area rich with loot, when you log back in, loot will have respawned and you can quickly round it up.
It seems daunting because of its military sim groundings, but once you get used to it (and learning's half the fun), you'll really enjoy how it works.

And feedback, the combat's far from unreliable and incredibly skill-based. Watching videos of zombie attacks can give you the wrong impression, as the zombie death animation is canned and a little too long, so a lot of new players end up wasting more ammo than they need to.
Another thing I've noticed from watching videos is that a lot of people really don't know how to use their guns properly or care to learn about the volume levels of weapons

It's heavily reminiscent of the Thief games in that stealth plays a massive part. Zombies detect you more by sound than by movement. So once you learn to control how audible and visible you are, you can slip in and out of most places undetected. And if you absolutely have to shoot a zombie, a quiet gun or firing from inside a building or forest can help prevent you drawing the attention of others zombies, let alone players.

As for general weapon use, you can see that a lot of people think that iron sights are activated by holding the right mouse button; this is actually wrong, and proper iron sights are activated by tapping the right mouse button. Once iron sights are up, you can zoom in further by holding the right mouse button.

As for scopes, proper sniper scopes feature range measurement curves which actually work and help manage bullet drop. The best ones feature zeroing so that after taking a measurement you can press the pgup & pgdn keys to set your scope to the right range so that the centre of the crosshair is actually on target. It's a lot tougher than pointing and clicking, but also a lot more satisfying when you pull off a long range shot.

And of course, you can't "Run & Gun". You can kinda "Walk & Gun", but your aim will jump around like a spastic Jack Russell, so you have to take your time and concentrate if you really want to be successful in combat. 99% of my 480 zombie kills were made whilst crouching and not moving. You just don't panic, and you make sure that when you DO have to fire a gun, it's on YOUR terms.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-25-2012 10:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
...reconnect on any other server in the world, and you'll appear back where you left the game with all your gear.

OK, very good to know.
I'll join you shortly >:D

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-05-2012 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Weird glitchy day - broke a leg (dont ask lets just say I wish there were stannahs in this game) - crawled about 4 miles to find pain killers (again stop with the asking) - logged out

logged into another server and spawned as a pigeon (I know I know but seriously this time even if you ask I dunno) - flew around a bit - found a proper server and respaned where the pigeon logged off but somehow had painkillers back (result) but I'm red on food and flashing red on water ( less of a result) except I'm now lost.

Turns out I'm in the top tippity top left corner of the map - so dieing of thirst I stumble around until I find a shack with sardines in it - great - still dieing of thirst. Decide best thing to do is to leave all my stuff in the barn and make a run for the shops (thinking if I die I might be able to get my stuff back) - miraculously make it to the shops but theres a zombie inside which wouldnt have been a problem except I dumped my makarov - and so theres a can of pepsi which means I'm no longer thirsty but now I have 2 zombies chewing on my arms so I'm still bleeding (great) - make a run for my pack and bleed out.

Respawn in the middle of elektro (not good) make it to the church and loads of kit, knives matches ammo everything Result! make a run for the north edge of town - over run with zombies. Stop momentarily to figure out a direction - 'crack' shot in the back opf the head for my beans >:( grrr

~Respawn again and... then get kicked from the server.

It's a shame that finding a server and the netcode generally is so unbelievably awful as otherwise this'd be an awesome game - well that and more buildings need to be openable.

Not played and want to see more ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBja0TiKcXk
also in case anyone else hasnt found this http://teamfackin.com/moocow/dayz/map/ which has made the game a whole lot more enjoyable.

fun fun fun !!

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-05-2012 02:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And then it gets better - spawn in a new server - next to a house with a load of supplies.

Find a survivor on the beach he seems to be frozen or lagging - I rob him of his beans and some ammo.

Set off find a gas station with stuff in it - a frozen bandit - I shoot him and then steal his beans and revolver.

Carrying on I come to a barn and find another frozen player ( I don't rob him) and a dead bandits body - looting the bandit he's got a full kit - bigger back pack a shotty ammo food a blood pack a compass water bottles hatchet knife winchester and loads of ammo. I grab all the gear I can carry and make a run for it.

I win!! \o/

lol

course now I cant go anywhere for fear of losing all my shiny shiny (and slightly blood soaked) stuff :D

So i've logged off.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-05-2012 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The sooner you accept the fact that you're already dead, the sooner this game starts being a whole lot of fun.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-10-2012 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Day Z servers are turned into a botnet:
http://kotaku.com/5917211/security-brea ... ant-botnet

Kind of sloppy to be honest.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-26-2012 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone still playing this? Doomer, shaft, PuFF and I are trying to rally up. It seems as if one of us is always dead at any point in time. Doomer fell down some stairs, shaft broke his leg opening an outhouse door, PuFF got eaten by a superzombie that materialized in front of him, and I was shot in the face by PuFF with a shotgun in a case of mishandled firearms. This game is as hilarious as it is terrifying. It alternates between Benny Hill chases and terrifying crawls through zombie infested fields.

Oh, and there's the fabled Nononononononononono out in the woods somewhere.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 07-26-2012 07:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i see how it is

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-27-2012 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, BKB is playing with us too, but he's always on the opposite side of the map so naturally I forgot about him. <3

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-27-2012 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seen a few vids of this and the inventory looks fiddly and the whole thing is a glitch-fest

also, the comedy of 'hiding the body' when the body is a sheep :olo: reminds me of Q3A

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 07-27-2012 09:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It can be glitchy, that's true, but it's also a better game than 90% of the dross that gets released at the moment, so quirks can be forgiven. Indeed, they even add to the character.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-27-2012 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, i've not yet figured out what the objective is. it seems like you run around some kind of post-apocalyptic russian landscape, short on ammo and supplies, with your friends, trying to avoid zombies instead of just gunning them down, and you can't even craft anything

fun to watch i guess

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.